Shedding

cgs

Does anyone have a brush or tool they like to help with shedding? Percy is so hot now that the weather has warmed up and I keep brushing him to help the shedding along so he can be more comfortable. But the brush I have isn't very good and I get more off just running my hand down his back. I looked at various curry combs, brushes, shedding tools, etc, but with his thin coat (even though it's thicker for winter) and thin skin, I don't know what will work without either injuring him or making him uncomfortable.

Kong Zoom Groom. Works on both cats and dogs. Johnny loves it!

Current Crew: Gino-Gene-Eugene! (Eastnor Rebel: Makeshift x Celtic Dream); Fuzzy the Goo-Goo Girl (BGR Fuzzy Navel: Boc's Blast Off x Superior Peace); Roman the Giant Galoot! (Imark Roman: Crossfire Clyde x Shana Wookie); Kitties Archie and Dixie

Forever Missed: K9 Sasha (2001-2015); Johnny (John Reese--Gable Dodge x O'Jays) (2011-19); the kitties Terry and Bibbi; and all the others I've had the privilege to know

36938152140_1a2fd29a1f.jpg

We have excellent results with a Furminator. 

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.

We have a variety and it seems like each one works differently on each dog. Rocket had the thickest coat I've ever seen on a greyhound. For him The Furminator worked best. 

Petunia has a very thin coat, and the Furminator works best to get the undercoat, bu the loose hair on top seems to come off much better with the Zoom Groom.  

We also have the curry comb and a glove with lots of little rubber teeth on it, and both of those move a lot of fur. It seems like the Furminator gets the stuff that's down deep, and the brushes that are more rubbery get a lot of the loose stuff off. 

rocket-signature-jpeg.jpg

Camp Broodie. The current home of Mark Kay Mark Jack and Gracie Kiowa Safe Joan.  Always missing my boy Rocket Hi Noon Rocket,  Allie  Phoenix Dynamite, Kate Miss Kate, Starz Under Da Starz, Petunia MW Neptunia, Diva Astar Dashindiva, and LaVida I've Got Life

Just be careful with the Furminator-type shedding tools, and anything with teeth.  A person I know really scratched her dog badly by pressing too hard against her (non greyhound) dog's skin with a shedding blade not meant for dogs.

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

I use a rubber glove with pimples on it for Grace but she only has a thin coat anyway

Grace (Ardera Coleen) b. 18 June 2014 - Gotcha Day 10 June 2018 - Going grey gracefully
Guinness (Antigua Rum) b. 3 September 2017 - Gotcha Day 18 March 2022 - A gentleman most of the time

3 hours ago, HeyRunDog said:

I use a rubber glove with pimples on it for Grace but she only has a thin coat anyway

Same here and I’ve used it successfully  on all my whippets and greyhound. Finish off with a rub down with velvet.

Miss "England" Carol with whippet lurcher Nutmeg & Zavvi the Chihuahua.

R.I.P. Chancey (Goosetree Chance). 24.1.2009 - 14.4.2022. Bluegrass Banjoman. 25.1.2004 - 25.5.2015 and Ch. Sleepyhollow Aida. 30.9.2000 - 10.1.2014.

all of the items mentioned above. it's a matter of doing it on a schedule, yup, every other day or every 3 days. once and you get a ton of hair off, but that won't do the trick, ya gotta keep at it. shedding is your way of a GH showing it's unconditional LOVE! . also consistent grooming brings the natural oils up. remember a bath will really promote shedding, is that good? i do it, but just don't be suprised when even more coat starts to blow. tis the season for vacuuming....all sites that the dog visits- car, home, etc. check out the lint in your dryer---you can spin yarn!

Thanks. I ordered a furminator type of thing and maybe I'll get a zoom groom too. The furminator will come today, so I'll see what that does first. A bath will make him shed more? I was thinking of a bath to get some of the fur off. How do you guys bathe your greyhounds? We can't get Percy in the tub, so we've only bathed him once and did it outside on a hot day last year.

We got Percy a year ago February and I don't think his coat was this thick last year. I noticed this winter that his head was really thick and velvety and the fur around his thighs was really thick. I don't recall that from last year.

Lila is a very furry girl and there is more fur than I can believe is possible during the Big Shed. A bath really did help in her case. It did seem to speed up the process. Just have a really good hair catcher on your drain or you'll end up needing a plumber. ^_^ Oh, if you can get him in the tub.  Most greyhounds are super clean and don't need regular baths. Lila was on the once a year plan, but now that she's 12 I don't want to wrangle her into the tub and make her stand there. She's still the cleanest dog I've ever seen. I think it is pretty normal for them to get more/better fur as they transition to home life.

Lila Football
Jerilyn, missing Lila (Good Looking), new Mistress to Wiki (PJ Wicked).

Some places have a wash your own dog tub, with a ramp and all. My fear is not getting either one IN the tub, it's one slipping (even with a mat!) and not being able to get them back out.

Current Crew: Gino-Gene-Eugene! (Eastnor Rebel: Makeshift x Celtic Dream); Fuzzy the Goo-Goo Girl (BGR Fuzzy Navel: Boc's Blast Off x Superior Peace); Roman the Giant Galoot! (Imark Roman: Crossfire Clyde x Shana Wookie); Kitties Archie and Dixie

Forever Missed: K9 Sasha (2001-2015); Johnny (John Reese--Gable Dodge x O'Jays) (2011-19); the kitties Terry and Bibbi; and all the others I've had the privilege to know

36938152140_1a2fd29a1f.jpg

Eve let me vacuum her with the furniture attachment.  Everything except taking off the attachment and sticking her tail down the hose.  

siggy_z1ybzn.jpg

Ellen, with brindle Milo and the blonde ballerina, Gelsey

remembering Eve, Baz, Scout, Romie, Nutmeg, and Jeter