Topaz, The Beginning Of The Legacy

MP_the4pack

December 16, 1999 I lost my Topaz. I adopted her 3 years earlier to keep Brindle, my first greyhound, company.

She was only five.

Little did I realize the legacy she started.

Three weeks later I adopted a little black girl. She smiled like Topaz, just bigger, and had a gemstone name like Topaz. So enter Onyx.

But Onyx was a quiet lady. I still needed my silly goofy white and black girl. Almost two years later enter Pretty Profit. Terrible name. So since 2 of my 3 girls to date had gemstone names I decided to keep the trend going. What gem comes in black, white? Pearls. Thus Pearl entered my life. She ended up being my heart and soul girl.

Unfortunately just 3 weeks after Pearl came, my beloved first girl, Brindle, died at age 8. Even though I had 2 dogs, I was looking through the adoption group websites, not really planning on adopting. But the same group I got Pearl from had a little black girl called Half Profit. Since my Pearl had a similar name I looked up the tattoos and discovered I had litter mates.

I couldn't resist that and adopted her. I named her Diamond since diamonds come from black coal.

I now have three dogs. A balanced pack. So about 4-5 years later, why I perused the website looking at dogs, I don't know. Probably pure boredom at work. But I came across an adorable little, tiny actually, white and black girl who was kicked off the farm. Just a little over a year old. I started talking to the adoption group and without really planning on it, adopted her. She didn't even have a name. But she was quite the firecracker. So what gemstone has fire in it? Opals.

And that is how I got my greytalk name. A four pack.

In 2010, I lost both sisters to cancer at age 12. My very beloved heart and soul, Pearl and her sister Diamond. I started looking once again even though I still had 2. And found Crystal Falcon. Topaz's white and black niece! She was an 11 year old brood mama. I adopted Crystal and lost her 18 days later to cancer.

By now I'm a magnet to white and black girls. Jetta bb alslots entered my life. And I'm starting to struggle with names. Her name began with a J so I chose Jade.

A year later when 15 year old Onyx left, Jade became lost. Even though Opal was still around, Jade started to escape the back yard. For her safety I returned her. Broke my heart. She's still alive and living in CO.

Now Opal was all alone. Yet again I found a silly goofy white and black girl. I chose Tanzanite for her name. She had very big paws to fill because I was still missing my Pearl as well as grieving the loss of Crystal, Onyx and Jade.

And she did that. She helped mend my heart. Can you have two heart dogs in a lifetime? Yes.

I lost Opal in 2015.

And I lost Tanzi in January to cancer.

There you have the long legacy that Topaz started 19 years ago, yesterday.

What about Emerald?

Emma is the only one that I got that had nothing to do with Topaz. I just liked her and she ended up a return needing a home.

Topaz, I may not remember you anymore, but look at what you gave me. You helped 7 dogs get forever homes.

Thank you my little clown. I look forward to seeing you and your legacies at the Bridge someday.

:grouphug

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.

Kim and Bruce - with Rick (Rick Roufus 6/30/16) and missing my sweet greyhound Angels Rainey (LG's Rainey 10/4/2000 - 3/8/2011), Anubis (RJ's Saint Nick 12/25/2001 - 9/12/12) and Zeke (Hey Who Whiz It 4/6/2009 - 7/20/2020) and Larry (PTL Laroach 2/24/2007 - 8/2/2020) -- and Chester (Lab) (8/31/1990 - 5/3/2005), Captain (Schipperke) (10/12/1992 - 6/13/2005) and Remy (GSP) (?/?/1998 - 1/6/2005) at the bridge
"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut." -- Ernest Hemmingway

Jan with precious pups Emmy (Stormin J Flag) and Simon (Nitro Si) and Abbey Field.  Missing my angels: Bailey Buffetbobleclair 11/11/98-17/12/09; Ben Task Rapid Wave 5/5/02-2/11/15; Brooke Glo's Destroyer 7/09/06-21/06/16 and Katie Crazykatiebug 12/11/06 -21/08/21. My blog about grief The reality is that you will grieve forever. You will not get over the loss of a loved one; you will learn to live with it. You will rebuild yourself around the loss you have suffered. You will be whole again but you will never be the same. Nor should you be the same, nor would you want to. Elisabeth Kübler-Ross

Seven! That is a beautiful legacy indeed. :beatheart

Kendra, devoted walker of Henry (Tom Jones: Great Son x Lucia)

Missing Badger (Vf Get R Done: Quicksand Slip x Ll Tee el See), 5/04 - 2/14, who opened our hearts and our home to greyhounds; Kenzie (Slatex Kenzie: Randy Handy x Slatex Chrisy), 4/03 - 10/14, who really knew what a good dog she was; Falcon (Atascocita Sabat: Dodgem by Design x Atascocita Barb), 9/10 - 1/20, who was grumpy and snarky but eventually a little bit cuddly, too; Grandpa Grey the Galgo Español, 2008 (?) to 2022, who made us feel lucky to be the ones to teach him about pet life; and Lucia (Larking About x Anastasia, 5/12 to 8/23), our first brood matron and the sweetest speckly girl. 

The start of something wonderful. Hugs to you as you remember your girl.

Rest well, Topaz.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.