Limiting Water Intake For House Greyhounds

Guest couchsprinter

Guest couchsprinter

Hi all, long-time lurker, first-time poster. Last week, I adopted a retired greyhound and am wondering about how much water to give her since I'm getting conflicting responses. The adoption group I went through and the internet say that one should never control a greyhound's water intake (and my girl, Heidi, is a drinker!). However, some acquaintances of mine who are also greyhound owners say that I shouldn't keep refilling her water dish since she's fresh from the track and so is used to drinking whenever there's water. They said that excessive drinking could overwork her kidneys and cause problems down the line. I don't know whose advice to follow. It seems only humane to ensure that Heidi has all the water she wants (sometimes she even licks her empty water dish), but I don't want to be enabling a sort of track-conditioning that she hasn't been weaned off of yet. Any ideas? Thanks!

P.S. Sorry if this has already been addressed. I tried to look for similar topics but none were that close of a fit.

I don't believe in restricting water. It's a basic need and doing so can cause a psychological drinking issue. Interestingly I've not heard that water is restricted at the track, but if it is it would explain why some dogs already do this. I would suggest giving her free access and keeping her bowl full, but if she's drinking excessively try distracting her and redirecting to a toy or some other form of play or entertainment.

ETA: And yes, talk to your vet. It's possible there's a reason she's drinking so much. One of my greyhounds had a UTI and excessive water consumption was her only symptom. Unusual, but was the case for her. More likely there isn't a medical reason, but your vet can also best answer this question.

Edited by NeylasMom

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

Congrats on your new adoption! :) I would love to see a picture.

This is a question for your vet because it concerns the health of your dog. The internet and peers are great but I'd trust medical advice from a professional over random adopters. It is likely that your vet will tell you that water restriction can be dangerous and result in dehydration, bladder stones, urinary tract infections, and psychological water obsessive behaviors.

I have never limited water and never will because healthy dogs should self-limit themselves. My dogs regulate their water consumption appropriately. I have water in the living room, the dog room, and outside. In fact, one of my dogs fell ill and did not drink enough and ended up in the hospital for two days on fluids. About $2,000 and a head of grey hair later she was fine but now I watch how much she consumes like a hawk.

I've had well over 100 Greyhounds cross my door and they all adjusted from life at the track fairly quickly and easily. They had access to water 24-7 in my home and I never had an issue.

Congrats on your new Grey! I would not restrict water. Most certainly address the excessive thirst with your vet.

Irene ~ Owned and Operated by Jenny (Jenny Rocks ~ 11/24/17) ~ JRo, Jenny from the Track

Lola (AMF Won't Forget ~ 04/29/15 -07/22/19) - My girl. I'll always love you.

Wendy (Lost Footing ~ 12/11/05 - 08/18/17) ~ Forever in our hearts. "I am yours, you are mine".

Restricting water seem excessive to me, and something of a lazy response. Any medical issue with the sympom of drinking too much water needs to be addressed by a vet asap. A healthy dog isn't going to drink too much. Any other reason seems like a bogus excuse not to let your dog out for potties often enough.

I've never heard of dogs being restricted water at any track or training facility. They usually have huge tubs of it all around the turn outs, some big enough to lie down in, water in all the crates - big buckets of it - and water available in all track areas. Fake news all the way around.

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

What? I have never heard of not having available water for your dog. There certainly are instances where you can withhold (usually only in the case of medical instances), but not on a daily routine basis - no way!

Proudly owned by:
10 year old "Ryder" CR Redman Gotcha May 2010
12.5 year old Angel "Kasey" Goodbye Kasey Gotcha July 2005-Aug 1, 2015

I have never limited the water intake of my greys however, they do not usually empty the bowls. I have noticed that dogs that I have fostered might tend to do this for a week or two until they adjust to the new surroundings so, it could be that the dog is nervous. However, as others suggested, check with the vet.

I have adopted TEN greyts and fostered many more. I believe in having lots of water around free access and they all self regulated without problems except for one- Minny. He drank insatiably when I first got him and also accordingly urinated large quantities in his crate everyday. He was clearly drinking way to much. I figured he probably had some steroids in his system as his excessive thirst and peeing was like I had observed in hounds being treated with them. I decided to gently restrict his water somewhat temporarily and keep a close eye on him. When I did that he went to the outside faucet (when I turned him out to potty) and turned it on fully and went at it hehe. Then I knew I had a SMART cookie! See he didn't just turn it on and drink what came out....no! He turned the knob around and around until he had opened the valve almost completely and it was gushing out :) Fortunately his water consumption and peeing gradually decreased on its own without any intervention from me. It took around a month or so but he got to a normal desire/consumption and shared in free choice water that was always around normally wit no further issues and no crate accidents either. I think it just took a while for whatever was in his system making him drink like that to metabolize out because he went to 'normal' and stayed there. Minny was smart as a tack and the most empathetic creature I have ever known. :beatheart

one thing to consider is that the dog may just be hungry and filling it's belly with water. if you can break the meals up into 3 servings and see if it settles down. felix used to drink like mad, one vet suggested the change in feeding and we upped his food just a tad. i did see a noted change in water consumption.

When I ran an adoption group we had a girl bounce that the owner said she had kidney issues but it turned out they would not let her drink when she wanted. At first she wouldn't drink if a person was in the same room as the water bowl sd she was afraid the bowl would be removed so I finally took her to the water bowl & stood next to her talking quietly until she drank & in a week of this she found she was allowed water as she needed it & she never had any issues again. Good luck with your new girl & remember we love pictures!

Guest couchsprinter

Thanks to everyone for your thoughts! These past few days, I started to make sure that his water bowl was always full since it seemed cruel to limit his water. I'm very happy that everyone's comments generally support the idea that greyhounds should have all the water they want. Heidi is leaving water in her bowl these days and so not drinking all the way to the end. Hopefully it was just nerves or maybe even residual substances in her system from the track. I'll post a picture when I get a chance. Thanks again everyone--this helped enormously and is a huge relief.

Great update! :clap

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

No water restrictions here. However, if we notice fast, excessive drinking, say after a lap or two around the yard, we gently walk them around the kitchen island to slow the gulping down. We are not preventing the drinking, we are just slowing them down.

And yes, some trainers do not put water in kennel crates. But water is always available in the turnouts and on the backside. And there is usually not water in the pre-race holding kennels.

Wendy and The Whole Wherd. American by birth, Southern by choice.
"Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup!"
****OxyFresh Vendor ID is 180672239.****