Tick Prevention: So Many Options; Are Any Of Them Good?

Guest mpsoderberg

Guest mpsoderberg

I am so hesitant to give Tanner (4 year-old, new to us in September) any sort of tick prevention. Am I crazy? He has already gotten a few ticks this year, which seems early, even here in Minnesota. Are there any holistic preventions that you've used and worked? My vet is recommending Nexgard chewables.Tanner is fawn, so ticks have been very easy to spot. I don't want to put him at risk for tick-borne illness for fear of a bad reaction to medication.

I've ready other threads on this same topic and can't seem to get a clear verdict! I'm sure there isn't one!

I am using the Soresto collars as well. My vet is using them on a client who has severely compromised kidneys with no adverse effects. Of corse, there is no guarantee that any individual dog might not have a reaction, but with the collars, if they do have a reaction you can take the collar off.

Personally, I have never heard of a holistic remedy that really works, and I would not want to risk a TBD.

Edited by Remolacha

We use Nexguard. No problems, and no ticks. I give shortly after a meal.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

The ONLY remedy that actually repels ticks is the Preventic collar.

All of the others kill ticks after they bite your dog.

There is no reason to avoid flea and tick treatments. If he has a reaction, then don't give it to him again, but the risk of tick disease is much worse than the risk of a temporary reaction.

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

The ONLY remedy that actually repels ticks is the Preventic collar.

Not true: Seresto repels as well. Additionally, topicals that contain permethrin (e.g., Advantix) also repel ticks, fleas, mosquitoes, etc. I'm personally not a fan of permethrin, though I know plenty of greyhound owners use it without issue.

I've used both Preventic and Seresto collars with no issues whatsoever (currently use Seresto). I've also used Frontline and Revolution topicals with no issues whatsoever. Environmental factors, including warmer winters and habitat loss that results in wild tick-carrying animals in close proximity to humans, are increasing tick ranges and population, so the tick problem will only get worse. The majority of all dogs tolerate some form of tick preventative just fine. In my opinion, the risk of tick borne disease and potential death therefrom is too great to go without a proven preventative.

Edited by turbotaina

Meredith with Heyokha (HUS Me Teddy) and Crow (Mike Milbury). Missing Turbo (Sendahl Boss), Pancho, JoJo, and "Fat Stacks" Juana, the psycho kitty. Canku wakan kin manipi.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." - Voltaire

We use Bravecto (oral flea and tick protection given every 12 weeks) and have had no ill effects. Our biggest issue is that Sweep hates the taste so it can be challenging to give.

Edited by ramonaghan

52596614938_aefa4e9757_o.jpg

Rachel with littermates Doolin and Willa, boss cat Tootie, and feline squatters Crumpet and Fezziwig.
Missing gentlemen kitties MudHenry, and Richard and our beautiful, feisty, silly
 Sweep:heart

If you check the adverse reaction reports -particularly for Bravecto which is one of the recent ones- then you will have your answer. Personally I will not use ANY spot on, pills, etc. or seresto or any of the other strong chemicals because I am not comfortable with what I have seen when I research it. I am also a chemist and that could be good or bad hehe but a body is nothing more than series of chemical reactions. When you add other chemicals to it...... Dr. Cuoto said one day that "Anytime you give a new drug to a greyhound it is an adventure." Greyhounds are particularly sensitive to a lot of things.

I use Preventic collars and Springtime garlic granules and am very pleased with the results as it is very effective for us. I also spray them with Adams Flea & Tick spray sometimes. I am confident in the safety of these 3 things. Apparently a lot of other people like the Preventic collars as well because if you wait until spring they are difficult to obtain. Entirely Pets has them on back order already. It is this way every year. You have to order them early. Chewy had some left the other day. Go to https://www.springtimeinc.com/product/bug-off-garlic-dogs/All-Natural-Dog-Supplements

and check out the info on garlic. It works for me. I give my dogs the granules in their food from spring to fall. Gilly probably wouldn't eatthe wafers but he doesn't care mixed in with his food. I also take garlic myself for the same reason. And I guarantee you we put it to the test as my working dog specializes in wilderness search and so spend more time than most in the woods-sometimes deep brush where there are lots of ticks- but they really seem to leave us alone! And yeah the Adams is "old fashined" but it is also effective to some extent and has proven itself safe and why not be extra careful since you're dealing with yucky ticks?

But I commend your concern about not poisoning your boy by putting tick poison in his system. I don't do it either. Look at all the dogs that DIED several years ago from that 6 month heartworm preventive. They literally had to watch their dogs die because there was no way to remove it from their system after they had put it on them. I'm just not comfortable with it and the Preventic/garlic and Adams seem to do a great job anyway and are likely far safer. JMO.

http://www.dogsnaturallymagazine.com/garlic-friend-or-foe/

https://www.springtimeinc.com/Spot-On-Product-Safety

https://www.springtimeinc.com/Garlic-Talk

Edited by racindog

I used the Seresto last summer, only found one tick on him at my parents' place in VA.

Current Crew: Gino-Gene-Eugene! (Eastnor Rebel: Makeshift x Celtic Dream); Fuzzy the Goo-Goo Girl (BGR Fuzzy Navel: Boc's Blast Off x Superior Peace); Roman the Giant Galoot! (Imark Roman: Crossfire Clyde x Shana Wookie); Kitties Archie and Dixie

Forever Missed: K9 Sasha (2001-2015); Johnny (John Reese--Gable Dodge x O'Jays) (2011-19); the kitties Terry and Bibbi; and all the others I've had the privilege to know

36938152140_1a2fd29a1f.jpg

Guest mpsoderberg

I am also a chemist and that could be good or bad hehe but a body is nothing more than series of chemical reactions. When you add other chemicals to it...... Dr. Cuoto said one day that "Anytime you give a new drug to a greyhound it is an adventure." Greyhounds are particularly sensitive to a lot of things.

While doing my research I just came across all these horror stories of dogs dying or seizing, and you are all correct, that each dog will react/not react to things differently. I am just extremely cautious about medications in all applications - humans and pets! The preventic collar sounds like a great option, but I have a cat, so that will be a no-go, unfortunately.

I plan to buy Adams' and the garlic. I will hem and haw about what to do next because my boy just LOVES sniffing in the woods. Seresto or Nexgaurd (which my vet recommend) sound like they are my options. I like the element of being able to simply take the collar off of Tanner although I know that there would still be chemicals lingering.

Happy tick season to my fellow greyhound lovers!

Bravecto is another good option. We've been using it for several years now, and it does a great job of killing any ticks on our greys that we miss (we live in the country, so we always check them over after they've been outside). You only have to give it once every 3 months, too. It's important to give it right after a meal to avoid GI irritation. Two of our dogs eat it like a treat as long as we break it in half first. For our picky eater we break it into 2-3 pieces and give each piece like a pill.

ETA: We prefer Bravecto over Nexgard, since Bravecto kills ticks within 12 hours, whereas Nexgard takes up to 48 hours. I believe this is an important difference when you're worried about the transmission tick-borne diseases!

Edited by Victor

Guest fannysmom

I just gave mine Bravecto the other day. Today I found a deer tick crawling across her face hours after we came in. Had I not given it to her it probably would have dug in.

Have never see a tick here in 14 years but I'm sold on Bravecto for fleas.. Adams spray is good, but you almost have to pickle 'em in it. have used it pre Bravecto but mostly on bedding, etc. Lots of people use garlic but there are some safety questions as well as questions on effectiveness.

gallery_8149_3261_283.jpg

Garlic doesn't work. The oral products (Nexguard, Bravecto) work very well. The collars work, too, but you can't put them on for a few minutes and take them off again -- you have to leave them on for them to be effective.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

I just gave mine Bravecto the other day. Today I found a deer tick crawling across her face hours after we came in. Had I not given it to her it probably would have dug in.

isn't it just a matter of time before they attach? just looked this up, it's on the bravest site: After you give your pet Bravecto, it quickly reaches tissue fluids just under your dog's or cat's skin. When fleas and ticks feed, they ingest Bravecto and die. Bravecto Chew for Dogs starts killing fleas (Ctenocephalides felis) within 2 hours, and kills ticks (Ixodes ricinus) within 12 hours.

Guest fannysmom

Oh I didn't realize they'd still feed . I think I was thinking there was some kind of repelling happening. That's a little worrisome since lately there's been talk that Lyme can be passed much more quickly than previously thought.

yes, we have entered a time where it's becoming a necessity to run test to check for tick borne diseases. fortunately it seems as if the doxycycline shortage has passed. also, if you find an attached tick, contact your vet and there is a short term protocol of doxy, both for yourself and the dog.

Garlic doesn't work. The oral products (Nexguard, Bravecto) work very well. The collars work, too, but you can't put them on for a few minutes and take them off again -- you have to leave them on for them to be effective.

Yup, what she said. :)

Wendy and The Whole Wherd. American by birth, Southern by choice.
"Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup!"
****OxyFresh Vendor ID is 180672239.****

While doing my research I just came across all these horror stories of dogs dying or seizing, and you are all correct, that each dog will react/not react to things differently. I am just extremely cautious about medications in all applications - humans and pets! The preventic collar sounds like a great option, but I have a cat, so that will be a no-go, unfortunately.

I plan to buy Adams' and the garlic. I will hem and haw about what to do next because my boy just LOVES sniffing in the woods. Seresto or Nexgaurd (which my vet recommend) sound like they are my options. I like the element of being able to simply take the collar off of Tanner although I know that there would still be chemicals lingering.

Happy tick season to my fellow greyhound lovers!

I think you will be very pleased with the garlic. While many who have not used it scoff at it there are many more that have found it highly effective. The trick is to use QUALITY garlic from Springtime. If you give them the stuff you buy from your local drug store etc you are most likely wasting your time. It works on peeps too and the Springtime product is so good THAT is the one I use in all my human cooking as well. But if you get them on the garlic asap you may find you don't need anything else but the Adams. It takes a couple weeks to build up in their system good though. The adverse reactions to the various chemical treatments are government documented and even supported by some reputable vets so the sad stories you found are far more than just internet propaganda. http://www.wsbtv.com/news/2-investigates/dog-owners-blame-popular-flea-medicine-for-pets-deaths/490037654

Edited by racindog