Guest Sportingfields

I love Zuri ❤️❤️ It's not a good night here unfortunately. I'm going to try to get a few hours sleep, Ryan is staying downstairs with Macy. Our hearts are breaking, she's telling us it's time.

I am so very sorry your valiant efforts are coming to end. Please know that my heart breaks for you, along with everyone else that is having to make tough decisions. Years ago when I first struggled with 'is it time' a very, very dear friend sent me a poem. Although it made cry, it eased my heart that it was time to do what we had to. We had promised all our pups unconditional love and that we would never let them suffer needlessly. I thank God we were able to keep that promise to all off them and I am sure everyone that reads this thread feels and does the same. I hope the poem helps to ease some of your pain too.

Google poem. May I Go Now by Susan Jackson

Hugs and prayers to all the hounds and the humans whom love them so much

{{{HUGS}}} For Macy and her family..

Jen and Zuri, what lovely pictures!

MAY I GO

by Susan A. Jackson

May I go now?
Do you think the time is right?
May I say goodbye to pain filled days
and endless lonely nights?

I've lived my life and done my best,
an example tried to be.
So can I take that step beyond

and set my spirit free?

I didn't want to go at first,
I fought with all my might.
But something seems to draw me now
to a warm and loving light.

I want to go. I really do.

It's difficult to stay.
But I will try as best I can
to live just one more day.

To give you time to care for me

and share your love and fears.
I know you're sad and afraid,
because I see your tears.

I'll not be far, I promise that,
and hope you'll always know
that my spirit will be close to you
wherever you may go.

Thank you so for loving me.
You know I love you, too.
That's why it's hard to say goodbye
and end this life with you.

So hold me now just one more time
and let me hear you say,
because you care so much for me,
you'll let me go today.

Dedicated to everyone who has ever had to put down a beloved dog.

Author: Susan A. Jackson

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

:heart Just want each of you to know that I am thinking of you today and tomorrow, and hoping to hear how you are soon.

I am spending the long weekend helping my daughter & family move to a new house about 50 minutes away. The closing was FINALLY scheduled as something of a surprise Friday at 1:00, but the previous owners were still in the house when my son-in-law showed up that afternoon to paint three rooms (and were not out until late that night)! Anyway, it put everything 10 hours or so late, but the truck and help were already scheduled for today. So, daughter and I were packing up a storm w/3 month-old son in tow, and almost 3-yr old daughter, until we finally got her excited self to sleep after 1 1/2 hours last night. They also have four dogs (no greys), who are all wondering if the world is coming to an end, especially their 12 year old yellow lab, who would not lie farther than two feet away from us as we packed. I really feel for him, and hope we can settle things quickly for his sake.

My turn to pack. Will be thinking about everybody this long weekend. :grouphug

Guest MnMDogs

Thanks for checking, Miriam. Moving is so stressful, and to add on the unexpected is so much worse!

We picked up and moved cross country twice and the dogs adjusted remarkably well. Even Macy who was 11 and a half when we did it last year. Hopefully the older lab will also get accustomed to his new home quickly,

As expected, it's been a very sad weekend with lots of tears. Macy really really wants to take walks with us, she just can't. The vet will be coming tomorrow evening and I don't know what we're going to do with Greg. He needs a strong confident dog, and he regressed after Mork died, so I'm not sure what will happen when Macy is gone. We're all going to be lost without out vocal, feisty, loving girl.

Oh Carol, I'm so sorry. The final days are so hard knowing you're likely doing the "lasts" of everything with her. We tried to enjoy our time with Cecil after his osteo diagnosis, but the last few weeks were just so hard. You and Jen have been on my mind all weekend. It's hard for me to be here - I can't bring myself to read the poem that was posted and I can't bring myself to write my 6 words for Cecil, even though I know what they are.

Roux, good to see you're keeping busy; it's good for an aching soul and I suppose I should get up to something myself this weekend.

On a brighter note, Carol, Greg may surprise you. Our Jet sure has surprised us. After a rough week or so shortly before we let Cecil go and then a few days after, Jet has blossomed in his new position as the one and only house hound. He even learned a new trick over the last few days (as I've mentioned Cecil was the serious smart one and Jet was the goofy one). We never expected much out of Jet in terms of tricks; we just wanted him to behave and that was challenge enough with him. We still struggle to keep Jet from jumping on guests and licking their faces. Cecil barely acknowledged guests and sometimes wouldn't even bother to get up from his bed! But if I grabbed the clicker and the treat bag Cecil's eyes would light up and he turned into a different dog. He loved learning new things and I always said he'd learn to dismantle a bomb for a treat. God he was smart. But Jet learned to speak in just 3 sessions over the last few days. And he jumps into bed with me every morning and cuddles, and he's been left completely alone for 4 or 5 hours in his crate and has been calm and relaxed when we get home. I'm so grateful for that.

Carol, sending hugs and peace to you and your family and your sassy little Macy May this weekend. xo

Lori :grouphug

It looks like my vet will be coming tomorrow as well. I have to confirm and schedule a time in the morning as I just sent her an e-mail since its late, but we talked yesterday and she told me she would be available.

I seriously don't know how I'm going to get through this. I love my boy so much. He's just...him. Just such a good sweet dog. 10 years together is so long and yet not nearly enough. I can't imagine my life without him.

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

I have nothing to say except I'm so sorry. I've been using the word "heartbroken" a lot, but I really am heartbroken for you.

And I for you. :cry1

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

Jen, been thinking of you and hoping for an update. Just not this one. I've not had a good day (measured in terms of how many times I break down in tears) and as I walked over to my laptop to check-in, I had a feeling it wouldn't be good.

Not any amazing powers of precognition. Stories don't end well in here. But we have each other and I can't tell you how comforting that has been for me. Jen, I hope you, and Carol, and Miriam feel the same; even though I know we'd trade it all to get our beloved boys/girls back to us healthy and happy.

Cecil and Crouton will be waiting for Zuri and Macy.

xoxo to you and Carol and handsome Zuri and sassy Macy May. We will be heartbroken together.

I do Lori. I honestly don't know what I would have done without you guys these past few weeks. I don't want to burden my friends with every detail of this emotional rollercoaster, but this is a safe place to do it. Its unfortunate that we have to find these bonds this way, but I'm grateful to all of you.

Guest MnMDogs

Lori, thank you so much. It feels like years since I first posted in here, and I realize it's been less than a month. This has been the longest and shortest month I can remember and the support has helped me more than you can imagine.

I hope, Lori that you and Miriam are healing, and I really hope that Greg surprises me like Jet surprised you, Lori

Lori :grouphug

It looks like my vet will be coming tomorrow as well. I have to confirm and schedule a time in the morning as I just sent her an e-mail since its late, but we talked yesterday and she told me she would be available.

I seriously don't know how I'm going to get through this. I love my boy so much. He's just...him. Just such a good sweet dog. 10 years together is so long and yet not nearly enough. I can't imagine my life without him.

So sorry. Our goofy Pogo (who was also a lab in a greyhound suit, along with some saint bernard for the drool factor) will be there to meet Zuri and they can play together and not be in pain.

Annette, mom to Banjo (AJN Spider Man) & Casey (kitty), wife to Roy. Mom to bridgekids: Wheat (GH), Icabod (GH), Scarlett (Cab's Peg Bundy), Rhett (Kiowa Day Juice), Dixie (Pazzo Dixie), Pogo/Gleason (Rambunctious), and Miriam (Miriam of Ruckus) and Spooky, Taffy, Garfield, & Lefty (kitties)

Thanks Annette. The image of Zuri running and playing again off leash makes me smile. And just reassures me that this is right.

My vet emailed me back. The latest appt she has is at 3. I was hoping she could?come after his dinner in the early evening. :( :(

Edited by NeylasMom

Thanks for checking, Miriam. Moving is so stressful, and to add on the unexpected is so much worse!

We picked up and moved cross country twice and the dogs adjusted remarkably well. Even Macy who was 11 and a half when we did it last year. Hopefully the older lab will also get accustomed to his new home quickly,

As expected, it's been a very sad weekend with lots of tears. Macy really really wants to take walks with us, she just can't. The vet will be coming tomorrow evening and I don't know what we're going to do with Greg. He needs a strong confident dog, and he regressed after Mork died, so I'm not sure what will happen when Macy is gone. We're all going to be lost without out vocal, feisty, loving girl.

So sorry about Macy. Hopefully Greg will adjust well. Miriam was very close to Dixie when we lost her 3 years ago and now she lost her brother. She not doing too bad. Miriam was a pretty bad spook when she came to us, so it isn't surprising she reacting in the way she is. She seems to channel Pogo occasionally in the way that she runs. Miriam has never been a runner, but occasionally she will do an abbreviated version of Pogo's running style.

You will be in our thoughts. Sending hugs.

Annette, mom to Banjo (AJN Spider Man) & Casey (kitty), wife to Roy. Mom to bridgekids: Wheat (GH), Icabod (GH), Scarlett (Cab's Peg Bundy), Rhett (Kiowa Day Juice), Dixie (Pazzo Dixie), Pogo/Gleason (Rambunctious), and Miriam (Miriam of Ruckus) and Spooky, Taffy, Garfield, & Lefty (kitties)

Guest MnMDogs

Thank you Annette. I really hope Greg is ok, but he's already spending more and more time in the closet :(

I'm going to hope to sleep a bit, and maybe wake up to find out that this is all a very bad dream.

Thank you Annette. I really hope Greg is ok, but he's already spending more and more time in the closet :(

I'm going to hope to sleep a bit, and maybe wake up to find out that this is all a very bad dream.

I totally understand. :grouphug

I haven't posted in awhile, but I've been here every day riding this emotional rollercoaster with you all.

Carol and Jen. :cry1:grouphug my heart breaks knowing what you both face today.

I'm sorry your vet couldn't come later Jen, I know how very precious each second is on a day like this. :(

Thank you. I'm okay with it. We are just making the best of the little time we have left. After a morning snack and meds we have been curled up snuggling all morning. Its a gorgeous day so we're enjoying fresh air and a breeze from outside as well. Things are as peaceful as I could hope for. Hopefully they stay that way until she comes and through the visit.

Thinking of you all today. :grouphug

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Rita the podenco maneta, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels:  Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

Jen, Carol, I truly believe that if there is a heaven, it is definitely full of dogs. Crouton, Cecil, Mork, Neyla, Pogo, all of those who have gone before, are waiting to welcome Zuri and Macy. I only hope that I will be found acceptable to be let into dog heaven someday. :heart My thoughts are with you.