So sorry for your loss of Miles, too. It is always hard, no matter how, no matter when. Godspeed, good boy.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest eccentricorbits

Thank you all for the words of comfort and love. And I'm sorry for those of you who have also lost your furbabies.

One thing I did over the weekend was to take out a big piece of construction paper and just write out every little thing I want to remember about Miles. All his quirks and habits. I will say: I wish I had captured more of his singing and goofiness on video.

Edited by eccentricorbits

Over just one week, you didn't even need an x-ray to see the tumor: his front wrist showed a swollen lump. ...he was only 7

I saw your note about losing Miles on 9/16, but losing our Crouton last month to osteo just suddenly felt too fresh for me to reply. Crouton was only 7, too. Way, way too young to be taken by this or any disease. From limp, to diagnosis, to losing her was less than 6 weeks, so I really, really understand how going through this experience can leave you stunned, confused, and even feeling guilty for not somehow knowing things that were unknowable at the time.

Like Miles, our girl had 86 races to her credit, and then three registered litters. She also had some evidence of the wear and tear natural to an athlete's life, but she was active, joyful, and delighted to be part of our family. We were able to give her a great retirement for the 10 months she was with us, and loved her like she loved us.

I hope you will be able to open you hearts and home to another greyhound in the future. My husband and I are driving 2 hours this Sunday to meet two greyhounds who we think will meet our needs of being child (grandchildren) and small-dog safe (we have a "somewhat" challenging whippet who a greyhound (!) once tried to kill), and able to easily manage stairs into the backyard.

You gave Miles the loving home he deserved, and gave him the very best you could. It is heartbreaking. My heart breaks for and with you, and everyone who has had to battle this. :brokenheart

So sorry for your loss of Lizzie.

And I'm very sorry for the loss of Miles as well. I can recall a time or two where a dog passed away during or shortly after amputation surgery, though I don't know that those owners still check in here. It's not common, but unfortunately it can happen. I'm very sorry it happened to you.

I'm curious, what were your vets telling you the "bone degeneration" was from leading up to this? Did they not ever recommend an FNA or biopsy, or possibly a CT scan?

Roux, I'm really happy to hear that you are looking at bringing another dog home. I hope whoever you decide on will bring some joy back into your home.

I haven't been up to check in much. Things finally started to sink in after I got Zuri's ashes back and I had a really rough few days. Then I went back to running myself ragged. That seems to be my current pattern. Keep myself really busy until I pretty much can't function alternating with long naps, then after a few days of that I can't keep up with it and I break down. Yesterday was particularly bad. It was 2 weeks since I let Zuri go and around 2:30, shortly before the vet would have been arriving at my house 2 weeks earlier I finished the book I was reading (I had already called in sick) and it all just hit me again. I spent a good hour just crumpled on the floor crying until I had to pull myself together to get to my therapy appointment, thank god for that. Anyway, I hope everyone else is hanging in there.

Edited by NeylasMom

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

Roux, I'm really happy to hear that you are looking at bringing another dog home. I hope whoever you decide on will bring some joy back into your home.

I haven't been up to check in much. Things finally started to sink in after I got Zuri's ashes back and I had a really rough few days. Then I went back to running myself ragged. That seems to be my current pattern. Yesterday was particularly bad. It was 2 weeks since I let Zuri go and around 2:30, shortly before the vet would have been arriving at my house 2 weeks earlier.

Jen, just want you to know I am thinking about you. I know what you mean about when ashes came back. I keep being surprised by what unexpectedly reminds me of our girl, with an emotional kick. I really hope you can find some peace and calm soon. :grouphug How are Violet, Skye and Cisco doing?

We are getting another grey a bit earlier than I was expecting, but it is really beginning to feel right. The rescue also needs the room now, so we are definitely getting excited about a new family member. I will post photos and an introduction once we start to get things under control.

Thanks. Violet and Skye are handling everything really well. They're getting lots of good exercise and training again, plus they get to go to Coventry (where I work as a dog trainer) when I work more frequently now. One of the perks of being a dog trainer - I was able to get Violet right back into nosework class, literally 2 days after Zuri was gone and there happened to be an intro to nosework class that was on week 3 in the slot before the one Violet was going back into so I just started Skye, who has never done NW in that one. So both girls go for nosework on Wednesdays now.

I actually lost Cisco to cancer in August, but didn't realize I had never updated my signature. I guess I need to do that for both Cisco and Zuri. :cry1

I have yet to write a remembrance thread for Zuri either. I never got around to doing it for Cisco and Neyla, something that always bothered me. I started for Neyla, but just could never get very far. I sort of hate that - she was such a special dog, I feel like she deserved one.

Edited by NeylasMom

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

So sorry to hear about Cisco. If you mentioned it, I am not sure how I missed it, but do apologize.

I know what you mean about writing the remembrance. I also want to do that for Crouton, but just have not been ready yet.

Happy to hear you are so active with Violet and Skye. We have been giving Niels and Pi more attention, and both of them are back to their unsubdued selves. We took Niels for a much needed and deserved bath last weekend using oatmeal shampoo and coconut oil conditioner (better than I use, probably), then a trip to PetSmart to smell all the wonderful aromas. It is always fun to see people glance sideways and say "that's a big dog", especially the ones holding Yorkies. Pi will be next. We have also stepped up the stuffie-throwing sessions, so the mood in our household has lifted significantly since losing Crouton. I still think about her all the time, and we often talk about her sweet ways. I really miss her habit of joyfully squeeking toys before every meal. Just can't replace that.

Hang in there, Jen.

Oh, thanks, you probably wouldn't have seen it as it was August of last year, not this year (I'm really behind on that siggie update). He was an old old cat with CKD and hyperthyroidism, but all well managed and we thought he'd live forever. Then he started having weird issues eating and wasn't grooming normally so I took him into the vet thinking his thyroid meds needed to be adjusted only to find out he had cancer in his mouth. We let him go 3 days later. And thus began my **ty year+ of loss and anxiety.

Glad your pups are doing well and the house is feeling more normal again.

I am having bad dreams on a nightly basis. Over it.

Edited by NeylasMom

Guest fastcasper

Hi All,

I have not been on the site much lately. I have lost 2 greys (back to back) due to bone cancer. I was going through some things today and came across 2 (two)

unopened bottles of Artemix. The "best use by" date is 11/20/2016. You could get a couple months worth out of them. I am asking $15 for both and will mail

the priority. I do not have use for them (my grey now is 2 years old), and I hate to throw them away. If interested please PM me for more information. I could send pics of the unopened bottles. thanks. Everyday is a true gift with these wonderful creatures!

Kim

Thank you so much for the offer, though I don't think we have anyone who can use them on the thread right now.

You might contact a local veterinary oncologist and see if they could take them as a donation for someone having trouble affording cancer meds. Our hospital had a fund and donation program to help people.

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

You could also post on the Artemisinin Yahoo group. There are certainly people on there who would want them.

Edited by NeylasMom

Hi All,

I have not been on the site much lately. I have lost 2 greys (back to back) due to bone cancer. I was going through some things today and came across 2 (two)

unopened bottles of Artemix. The "best use by" date is 11/20/2016. You could get a couple months worth out of them. I am asking $15 for both and will mail

the priority. I do not have use for them (my grey now is 2 years old), and I hate to throw them away. If interested please PM me for more information. I could send pics of the unopened bottles. thanks. Everyday is a true gift with these wonderful creatures!

Kim

Are you on Facebook? After we put Pogo to sleep I posted what meds I had left over on the Bone Cancer Dogs, Osteosarcoma in Dogs, and Canine Osteosarcoma. I gave away most of them that way. What I could not give to other pups going through cancer, I gave to our local shelter.

Annette, mom to Banjo (AJN Spider Man) & Casey (kitty), wife to Roy. Mom to bridgekids: Wheat (GH), Icabod (GH), Scarlett (Cab's Peg Bundy), Rhett (Kiowa Day Juice), Dixie (Pazzo Dixie), Pogo/Gleason (Rambunctious), and Miriam (Miriam of Ruckus) and Spooky, Taffy, Garfield, & Lefty (kitties)

Guest fastcasper

Hi Annette,

Remember me? I had Wynnie the same time you had Pogo. I'm so sorry!! When did you lose her? I lost Wynnie the very end of March. The cancer spread to her spine, she lost leg mobility and I put her to sleep right away. Thank you for the suggestion. I will follow up. I am on face book, kim kruse.

Hi Annette,

Remember me? I had Wynnie the same time you had Pogo. I'm so sorry!! When did you lose her? I lost Wynnie the very end of March. The cancer spread to her spine, she lost leg mobility and I put her to sleep right away. Thank you for the suggestion. I will follow up. I am on face book, kim kruse.

We had Pogo put down on July 7th. Yesterday would have been his 2nd "Gotcha Day".

Annette, mom to Banjo (AJN Spider Man) & Casey (kitty), wife to Roy. Mom to bridgekids: Wheat (GH), Icabod (GH), Scarlett (Cab's Peg Bundy), Rhett (Kiowa Day Juice), Dixie (Pazzo Dixie), Pogo/Gleason (Rambunctious), and Miriam (Miriam of Ruckus) and Spooky, Taffy, Garfield, & Lefty (kitties)

We had Pogo put down on July 7th. Yesterday would have been his 2nd "Gotcha Day".

So, so sorry, Annette. Makes my heart ache for you and Pogo. And, for you and Wynnie, Kim. I have tears in my eyes as I write this. Whew.

Guest fastcasper

Thank you all for the suggestions. I was able to get the Artemix bottles to someone who really could use them on her OSA pup! I feel good someone could use them. :)

Kim

Guest eccentricorbits

I hope you will be able to open you hearts and home to another greyhound in the future. My husband and I are driving 2 hours this Sunday to meet two greyhounds who we think will meet our needs of being child (grandchildren) and small-dog safe (we have a "somewhat" challenging whippet who a greyhound (!) once tried to kill), and able to easily manage stairs into the backyard.

You gave Miles the loving home he deserved, and gave him the very best you could. It is heartbreaking. My heart breaks for and with you, and everyone who has had to battle this. :brokenheart

Roux: Thank you for your note and your kind words! I am so sorry you lost Crouton. After racing so much and then having puppies, she deserved a longer retirement with you! Thank you for giving her some joy after all her working years.

And I hope your trip on Sunday went well. Just a note re the stairs: we bought a good expandable ramp for the deck stairs that Miles was happy to use. If you'd like the details let me know.

It's been a little while since I've been in here, though maybe not as long as it feels. I just realized it's only been 18 days since we said good-bye to our beautiful Macy May, it still doesn't seem real. A week after she died, the vet came over with her ashes, and a beautiful hydrangea plant that I need to get in the ground tomorrow. She also put Macy's paw prints on the card she brought, and thinking about it is making me tear up all over again.

None of us handled the loss well, and given Greg's shyness and regression to pretty much living in the closet, we met a sweet little fawn girl just one week after Macy left us. We have never considered adopting so soon after a loss, but we were never left with just one very shy pup, who was probably as depressed as we were.

Flutter came to our house during the home check 3 nights after we met her, and she never left. She's nothing like Macy May, but she's just what we needed. She's a sweet fawn girl who will be 2 in November, she's keeping us on our toes and we're in love.

I hope everyone continues to heal and you all know you're not alone.

None of us handled the loss well, and given Greg's shyness and regression to pretty much living in the closet, we met a sweet little fawn girl just one week after Macy left us. We have never considered adopting so soon after a loss, but we were never left with just one very shy pup, who was probably as depressed as we were.

Flutter came to our house during the home check 3 nights after we met her, and she never left. She's nothing like Macy May, but she's just what we needed. She's a sweet fawn girl who will be 2 in November, she's keeping us on our toes and we're in love.

I am so happy for all of you! Flutter (what a perfect name!) sounds like the very best thing for everyone, and I rejoice with you! Is Greg starting to interact more? They must be a good match.

This was perfect news! :D

Edited by Roux

And I hope your trip on Sunday went well. Just a note re the stairs: we bought a good expandable ramp for the deck stairs that Miles was happy to use. If you'd like the details let me know.

Our hound-meeting trip is actually rescheduled to tomorrow, and we are getting very excited! I would like to know which ramp you liked. There are so many out there, and the one I bought for the CRV was rejected by Crouton – too narrow, I think. Thanks!

I am so happy for all of you! Flutter (what a perfect name!) sounds like the very best thing for everyone, and I rejoice with you! Is Greg starting to interact more? They must be a good match.

This was perfect news! :D

Thank you! It's funny, Greg's now the staid old man, like Mork was to him when he arrived at 2 and a half or so (to Mork's 11). But he seems better, he's out with us more, and he seems to be sort of enjoying his walks again. All in all, she's a good fit.

Best of luck to you on your hound meeting!!