If she's still really restless, it could be the Fentanyl. You may need to remove the patch and switch to an oral pain meds.

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

Guest gjohnson1989

We think it might be from the morphine. The worst was night 1 post op and today after she got a morphine shot. They gave her the shot to cover the time between the first fentanyl patch coming off and the second one taking getting into her system. Shes 12 hours now post morphine shot and seemingly resting just fine.

Guest gjohnson1989

Another big step this morning! She popped up so I carried her to the yard and she walked around and pooped for the first time since surgery. Then she came inside and ate her kibble!

Guest gjohnson1989

This is truly amazing stuff. I had read plenty of success stories but seeing it in person is remarkable. Im so proud of her, shes such a strong girl. Staples should come out in the next week or so!

Yes, it's something that many of us have observed with our dogs before - after surgery they just seem to become *more* somehow. She will continue to amaze you and defy logic doing things you don't think are possible, faster and sooner than you think possible, with a sweeter and happier demeanor than you think possible.

Having our boy taught me a lot about living in the moment and enjoying the life that you have to the fullest.

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

• 2 weeks later...
Guest gjohnson1989

Just wanted to update everyone on Party's progress.

We are almost 2 weeks post-op. She gets her stitches out on Friday. She's getting around really well, it's amazing. I LOVE that she is, seemingly, pain free (aside from some discomfort at the surgery site obviously). I know that this was a good decision in my head but I can't help but feel guilty a little bit. Has anyone felt bad about taking away one of their legs? I know it's my issue and Party probably doesn't care at all but I can't shake that guilty feeling.

Does anyone with a front leg amp pooch have any advice about going on walks? I know we're still not far removed from surgery so it will probably take more time but we've tried taking her on two short walks in the last couple days and she can only get probably 50 yards or so before tiring. Will she ever be able to go on normal walks? (normal for her is roughly 20 minutes and she's good to go)

Our vet said she wants to start chemo next week so that's good to hear. We joined the Greyhound Health Initiative website and have been in contact with the great people there. We were kind of blindsided with the extra costs associated with chemo that we weren't aware of. Our vet says Party will need blood work before chemo, one week after chemo, two weeks after chemo, and before each chemo subsequent chemo treatment. Each blood work is running close to $90 and then a $25 IV catheter each chemo treatment. It's definitely testing us and straining our bank account but we will do anything for our girl.

Will she need to stay on pain meds after the stitches come out? If so, how long do pain meds continue?

I felt guilty All. The. Time. But it didn't seem to bother Tanzi.

The only things that did not return to normal were stairs and the length of walk. Both my front amp girls couldn't do the length of walks we used to do. But they both were able to do 20 minutes eventually. We used to do 1-3 miles.

But I love the update.

You might be able to get off the pain meds now although, the stitches might make her a bit more sore.

As to walks, shes going to get tired more easily when she is hoping however, they do not seem to tire as much if they are trotting/running. I might suggest getting a harness with a handle to help on walks - I have posted a link previously in this thread on the ones that I have used.

Make sure that she gets the Cerenia shot and pills for the nausea when she gets the chemo.

As to taking away one of her legs -- maybe adjust your thinking so that you understand that there were 4 paths - either do nothing and have her in pain and euthanize her in anywhere from 2 to 6 weeks (risk of fracture), or use radiation to control the pain but increase the chances of a fracture (unless bone strengthening is also done, or lastly - remove the cancer pain by amputating and then lastly, use chemo to kill remaining cancer cells. The pain from the cancer is the worst and is not easily controlled as people that have done amputation begin to realize when they see their dogs pain free. If it is a toss-up between a leg and a life, the choice is easy.

She should be weaning off the pain meds by now. Then she really should be pain free. There may be some minor pain associated with the chemo but it should be short lived and easily controlled.

We had a rear leg amp so I can offer no insights regarding stamina. Our boy was really back to 100% shortly after chemo - he even figured out how to do stairs and jump in and out of the car. But front leg amps have a steeper curve to manage and take longer to bounce back.

Not to depress you, but when I added up the total costs after we lost our boy nine months after he broke his leg running in the yard it was close to $15000. It's insane, but like you said, anything for our boy!

Guest gjohnson1989

Thanks for the replies, everyone. I understand that we made the right decision but I just wonder how she feels. Obviously she is feelings tons better in terms of pain but I also think dogs have other feelings than just happy, sad, mad, etc. I wonder if shes got some feelings of adjustment difficulty like a human would have. Im probably sounding like a crazy person so sorry to rant about off the wall stuff.

Wow! 15,000 is a scary number haha. Were around 6,000 right before starting chemo and barring any setbacks.

I have honestly never felt guilty about having her leg amputated, I may have felt differently if it hadn't gone well, but even after she was hospitalized for a week the day after she had her stitches out, I didn't feel guilty. Bowie has been happy since I brought her home from being at the hospital. I think I would have felt guilty if I hadn't amputated it and not given her every chance to live. She's 14 months 26 days post amputation today!

Bowie is now 11, our walks are pretty short, about 1/3 of a mile, but we walk up and down a very steep hill for our walks (hilly neighborhood), so that gives her more of a work out than if it were all flat. Sometimes she doesn't want to go, so that's ok, but I confess, it always freaks me out a little bit. When we walk, I use a collar, we make plenty of stops so she can take in the pee mail and rest a bit.

If I recall correctly, after the stitches came out, most of her pain was gone, well, after the infection was gone.

Sunsands Doodles: Doodles aka Claire, Bella Run Softly: Softy aka Bowie (the Diamond Dog)

Missing my beautiful boy Sunsands Carl 2.25.2003 - 4.1.2014

If any of you are on Facebook, I posted a video of Bowie tearing up the yard Friday morning. She was using it as a race track!

We're still trying to get to the bottom of this skin thing we both have. PCR test for ringworm was negative. I'm trying to get an appointment with my dermatologist, too. It's so frustrating.

Edited by seeh2o

Sunsands Doodles: Doodles aka Claire, Bella Run Softly: Softy aka Bowie (the Diamond Dog)

Missing my beautiful boy Sunsands Carl 2.25.2003 - 4.1.2014

Guest jatx

I've lurked on this site since I got my girl three years ago.

Last Wednesday my grey Margo (almost 7 years old) was diagnosed with osteo. Due to our location and several factors, I had to make the heartbreaking decision to not pursue chemo. She's getting her hind leg amputated Thursday and I plan on making her last several months as great and comfortable as they can be.

It's been heartbreaking but reading these threads have helped me so much in the last few days. Thanks everyone for sharing your stories .