The towel should work to be able to get her in and out to pee and poop. It helps if she is lying on a bolster bed rather than a regular bed and you want to make sure that the weight is distributed such that the remaining front leg is not being kinked in any way - I would usually lift my dog at the shoulder a bit and settle him into the bed in a better position. While your dog is going to need to sleep and rest - maybe plan on getting your dog up about every 3 to 4 hours and outside and moving a bit. You may need to use the sling to help her hop along. The pain after amputation is controllable unlike the pain from the osteo - keep to a regular schedule for the pain meds so that the pain does not get ahead of you.

Guest gjohnson1989

Great, we have her on a bolster bed. We are getting her up every 3 hours during the day and taking her outside to try and get her to potty. Shes barely holding her weight up, is that normal?

Yes, totally normal for the day after major surgery. She should get stronger every day.

Just FYI, front leg amps have a harder time adapting than back leg amps, due to carrying most of their weight in the front end. Once she starts moving around, she will need to move faster than before and use momentum to help keep her going. Also, most of the harnesses and helpful lifting devices won't work as advertised as they mostly use the front leg to anchor the harness. You're better off sticking with the towel sling if you both can physically manage that way.

Sleep in shifts. Get groceries delivered. Keep up on her pain meds. Try to keep her moving every so often.

Good luck.

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

Great, we have her on a bolster bed. We are getting her up every 3 hours during the day and taking her outside to try and get her to potty. Shes barely holding her weight up, is that normal?

She has to learn how to move by hopping and that does not come naturally at the beginning. I used the sling to help my dog hop - helping to lift his weight at the front in a hopping motion. It is still early, as Greysmom noted. sleep in shifts and give the meds when they are due. The pain meds might cause more anxiousness (crying) but, they need the meds to keep pain under control which is usually for 7 to 10 days (as I remember). You may also have to sleep right next to your girl as my boy would get very anxious if he woke up and didn't see me - it was much easier to just lie down next to him during the night. Take each day at a time for the first 2 weeks - you may question your decision but, please remember, it gets better and very quickly after the 2 weeks of hell.

Guest gjohnson1989

Thanks for all the support, everyone. Weve set up our sleeping arrangements in the living room on the floor next to her bed so we could avoid going up and down stairs with her and to be close to the back door in case she needs to go out. Havent had any luck getting her to potty yet but we did get some wet food in her so it seems that her appetite is coming back and she is drinking well. Within the last hour, she popped up out of bed on her own and was standing but that wore her out pretty quickly. We took her to the yard and wrapped the towel under her upper chest for support and she got a couple hops in, progress!!!

What should we expect in terms of pricing on chemo? Purdue University told us it would be 4 treatments at $600 per treatment but our primary vet said the chemo meds she uses are $50 per treatment. Were going to do whatever we have to do but want to at least know what were needing to budget for.

Edited by gjohnson1989

Outward hound sells a pup boost harness sling. You can get it on Amazon. Similar to using a towel, but has a handle and you can keep it on with Velcro closing. I use it on my front leg amp girl. Easier to position than the towel. Sounds like you are doing ok. Keep it up!

The sling that I got about 14 years ago for my 1st dog's amp has served me well through another dog's amp --

https://www.walkaboutharnesses.com/products/walkabelly-support-sling

it is fleece-lined and fastens with velcro. Very easy to put on and take off. The handle helps to lift some of the dog's weight through the hops.

As to chemo - it is not just the cost of the chemo drug - it is the bloodwork that has to be done each time, it is the vet tech's time, doctor's time along with the day stay at the hospital and may include the Cerenia shot (nausea) and the meds to take home . It may even include x-rays. I suggest that you check with Purdue and find out the details of the cost.

Is Purdue doing any clinical studies that your dog might qualify for, that might help to alleviate some of the costs.

Also, talk to the Greyhound Initiative - they pay for the carboplatin drug but, you have to be a member. Dr Couto consults through this organization and with a membership, the consult fees are reduced.

https://www.greyhoundhealthinitiative.org/

You can make a homemade sling by using a fabric shopping bag. Cut it down the sides. The handles will make it easier on your back. Baste a folded hand towel in it if you think it needs cushioning.

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Rita the podenco maneta, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels:  Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

As mentioned above, the Greyhound Health Initiative will provide free chemo for the cost of joining, which is $99 I think - way cheaper than the cost of four chemo treatments anyway. And have a talk with your oncologist as to whether Party qualifies for any of the current studies for the new osteo vaccine.

You are very brave to bring your girl home so soon after surgery. Most of us leave them under the care of the hospital staff for at least a few days, until they are up and around, so you are to be commended! She will get stronger every day, but it's a slog for the first two weeks.

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

Guest gjohnson1989

Thanks everyone for the kind words. She seems to be getting stronger and more comfortable almost right in front of our eyes. Shes been able to rest really well today. I was out grabbing my wife and I lunch but she texted me and said that Party popped up on her own, my wife carried her to the yard, and she hopped a few times on her own and went potty! She should be getting the drainage tube out tomorrow, maybe Tuesday.

I haven't had a lot of luck with any of the recommended harnesses for front leg amputatees. I bought the RuffWear harness, a K-9 Julius harness and tried Doodles Help'em Up harness, all to no avail. They all seem to slide around and down Bowie's chest. The Ruffwear seems the most secure, but it's way too much fabric when it's warm outside, especially since Bowie's body normally runs hot.

I just use a martingale collar with her leash for walks. I keep the Ruffwear harness and the Help'em Up harness in case of emergencies. I sold the K-9 Julius harness to a friend with a young super furry Husky.

There is a harness maker in England that makes what looks like a really solid harness that seems to have very little slippage for front leg amputees, but I haven't really seen the need for it. Her FB page is One Stop Harness Shop.

Sunsands Doodles: Doodles aka Claire, Bella Run Softly: Softy aka Bowie (the Diamond Dog)

Missing my beautiful boy Sunsands Carl 2.25.2003 - 4.1.2014

Guest gjohnson1989

Thanks for the information, everyone. Shes really moving and grooving tonight. Shes been walking around to her napping spots! She goes back in tomorrow to have the drainage bag emptied and hopefully removed. Ive also been in contact with Greyhound Health Initiative. Were feeling really good about this decision now.

There were a couple links in posts above yours with harness recommendations that should be good.

The harness that I used when I took my boy for his vet appointments or for walks was a Julius harness that was placed over the front shoulders. As noted by others, the harness will slip around. Even with that, I found that with the handle, I could help him if he got tired and I could make sure that he didn't slip on the animal hospital's waxed floors. I might suggest that you wait until after the first 2 weeks to see if you need to make an investment in a harness like this.

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00A9X5ZOO/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Thanks for the information, everyone. Shes really moving and grooving tonight. Shes been walking around to her napping spots! She goes back in tomorrow to have the drainage bag emptied and hopefully removed. Ive also been in contact with Greyhound Health Initiative. Were feeling really good about this decision now.

Wonderful to hear !

Guest gjohnson1989

How cautious do we need to be with her and stairs once shes healed up? Our bedroom is upstairs, should we still carry her up and down stairs just to be safe?

In my experience, you can *try* and limit them, but they won't stand for it for long. It's harder for front leg amps, but they will end up doing just about everything they did before, despite the lump in your throat.

For what it's worth, up will be a breeze, it's going to be down that will be the issue. We installed baby gates at both the top and bottom of the stairs so we could be there to help our boy every time. And we have carpet stair treads to make them less slippery and easier to navigate on. A harness was most helpful for steadying him on the stairs and helping him down. Also, our boy weighed nearly 80 pounds, even without his fourth leg, so carrying him wasn't as option in our house.

Both my girls had trouble going down. My first girl JUMPED down 5 steps, on the 4th day. (First day home) I had a ramp built within hours after that. This is outside.

Inside I only have stairs to the basement. Diamond, the first girl never went down there.

Tanzi, my other OS girl loved going down there to play hide n seek with me. She tried several times to come down after her amp, but struggled too much and gave up eventually. She was comfortable doing the 5 steps going outside.

What you have to watch for is that they don't think they have any limitations being a tripod and will do things they always did. You have to be the voice of reason. She may always need harness help going down stairs.

But I'm love your updates.

Guest gjohnson1989

She got her drainage tube out today and got a new fentanyl patch out on. I was at work all day but my wife worked from home. Tomorrow is my turn to work from home. Shes hopped around a few times tonight to go get water and resituate. She seems to like laying in her wagon (The Party Wagon) and getting pulled around. Maybe she likes the motion, not totally sure, but we will do just about anything that gets her to rest comfortably and quietly.