Oh Nancy ... :grouphug x a million.

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.

So sorry. Nixon will be in our thoughts. :grouphug

Annette, mom to Banjo (AJN Spider Man) & Casey (kitty), wife to Roy. Mom to bridgekids: Wheat (GH), Icabod (GH), Scarlett (Cab's Peg Bundy), Rhett (Kiowa Day Juice), Dixie (Pazzo Dixie), Pogo/Gleason (Rambunctious), and Miriam (Miriam of Ruckus) and Spooky, Taffy, Garfield, & Lefty (kitties)

February 8 2018, Bella Run Softly aka Bowie aka Softy aka Mama, she is 365 days post amputation and osteo diagnosis. 10 years 9 months old. Such an incredible life force, I love her to pieces.

Sunsands Doodles: Doodles aka Claire, Bella Run Softly: Softy aka Bowie (the Diamond Dog)

Missing my beautiful boy Sunsands Carl 2.25.2003 - 4.1.2014

However you call her, I call her "Awesome"! :heart:cheers

Current Crew: Gino-Gene-Eugene! (Eastnor Rebel: Makeshift x Celtic Dream); Fuzzy the Goo-Goo Girl (BGR Fuzzy Navel: Boc's Blast Off x Superior Peace); Roman the Giant Galoot! (Imark Roman: Crossfire Clyde x Shana Wookie); Kitties Archie and Dixie

Forever Missed: K9 Sasha (2001-2015); Johnny (John Reese--Gable Dodge x O'Jays) (2011-19); the kitties Terry and Bibbi; and all the others I've had the privilege to know

36938152140_1a2fd29a1f.jpg

:yay So fantastic!

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

Your sweet girl is doin it rite :yay

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.

:beatheart:bow:baloons:yay:yay

Annette, mom to Banjo (AJN Spider Man) & Casey (kitty), wife to Roy. Mom to bridgekids: Wheat (GH), Icabod (GH), Scarlett (Cab's Peg Bundy), Rhett (Kiowa Day Juice), Dixie (Pazzo Dixie), Pogo/Gleason (Rambunctious), and Miriam (Miriam of Ruckus) and Spooky, Taffy, Garfield, & Lefty (kitties)

So the vaccine is likely going to cost $1,000 per dose. They get 3 doses. I called Healthy Paws on Monday and asked if they would cover it. It's so new, no one knew, so they had to kick it up to another department. They also didn't know, but said they would get back to me in an email. I was really concerned they wouldn't cover it because it's a "vaccine", but not in the same sense as traditional vaccines. They sent me an email today and told me that, yes, they will cover it.

I wept. I'm tearing up just writing this. She is so close....

Edited by seeh2o

Sunsands Doodles: Doodles aka Claire, Bella Run Softly: Softy aka Bowie (the Diamond Dog)

Missing my beautiful boy Sunsands Carl 2.25.2003 - 4.1.2014

:(

Can't stop bawling....

Booked an appointment for February 15 for Nixon's final journey.

:(

He is doing quite well on the Gabapentin and Metacam, but he seems to be ageing right before my eyes.

He can still carefully do the stairs and his appetite is fabulous, but it has been 5 weeks since his diagnosis and I just can't take any more risk that the leg will fracture.

Thankfully it has been very cold so they have not been outside doing zoomies.

Sending you strength today! Hugs!

So the vaccine is likely going to cost $1,000 per dose. They get 3 doses. I called Healthy Paws on Monday and asked if they would cover it. It's so new, no one knew, so they had to kick it up to another department. They also didn't know, but said they would get back to me in an email. I was really concerned they wouldn't cover it because it's a "vaccine", but not in the same sense as traditional vaccines. They sent me an email today and told me that, yes, they will cover it.

I wept. I'm tearing up just writing this. She is so close....

That is awesome! One more reason to love HP!

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

I'm new here -- actually never even posted to any forum before -- but my heart is just aching and I'm just so desperate for answers that I thought I would reach out. There's just so much information out there but I can't find exactly what I'm looking for.

My Demi is 10.5 yrs old and I've had her since she was 22 months old. She's had regular greyhound issues like SLO and corns, etc. but relatively healthy. When she turned 8, she started to have hind-leg weakness so we just adjusted our daily walks, started an anti-inflammatory diet, and added plenty of glucosamine/msm/chondroitin. In January she had a stroke and that about almost killed me. She was lame, non-communicative (eyes were just glazed over -- you know the look), and dead weight. For 3 days I waited on her hand and foot and did anything I could think of to get her back -- water therapy, PT, massage, aspirin, repetitive speech, etc. If it worked for humans I assumed it would work for her. She was back to tip top shape at the end of 5 days.

This past Friday, I took her out to the yard for potties and I turned my back for a fraction of a second to pick up the cat who apparently wanted to join us and I heard the scream -- the scream you never want to hear. And I just knew. Vet confirmed osteo in right shoulder. Gave me tramadol, gabapentin and rimadyl to keep her comfortable until we can sort things out. She's not putting any pressure on it and has spent much of this weekend immobile and panting despite my exacting dose schedule.

The problem is that her shoulder is huge -- swollen with fluid building. What fluid? I'm not sure. She's a fawn and has always bruised easily but I'm not sure if she's bleeding out into the joint or if this is just edema. The swelling has spread up and down -- up into her chest and down to her wrist. I'm at a loss. And the on-call vet this weekend said -- without seeing her or knowing me -- to euthanize. I'm not a selfish person but I don't intend to simply give up.

She's been peeing/pooping (with lots of help), eating (4 scrambled eggs with chicken this morning for breakfast and 3 smaller protein-based meals since), and drinking (actually lots of water . . . ). In addition to the rx meds, I've been giving her rescue remedy and yucca intensive. I've also been rubbing arnica gel on her -- which as far as I can tell has done nothing except mat up her fur . . . I have been elevating the leg (within reason) to see if it will drain. I haven't done compression or an ice pack. I asked the on-call vet about that and he just sighed and said no. ...

Does anyone have any thoughts? What is this swelling and how can I decrease it? This a link to photos:https://drive.google.com/open?id=1iMaWcs6l6n9qL-3QeIW1WtgiUt6SEJFw

I thought it would be better than trying to figure out how to post media.

Thanks in advance.

I'm sorry, but your girl has probably fractured her leg, which means your only kind options are euthanasia or possibly amputation if she is a good candidate. This isn't about not giving up, its about not letting your dog live with pain when she has a terminal disease. If you think she might be a good candidate for amputation or other palliative care like radiation or bisphosphonates and you have the budget for that, then I recommend a consult with an oncologist asap.

Edited by NeylasMom

I agree with Neylasmom. It's probably already broken.

I don't know how weak her back end is, but I chose the amp route with my 12 yr old. She spent a whole day getting checked over to see if she was a candidate for amputation considering her age.

She was. She did fantastic, surprised her doctors. She lived 6 months before osteo hit another leg.

Go see an oncologist.