Benny Is Limping

That's a hard situation to face. The phrase "difficult row to hoe" came to mind. Which just made me think of a cornfield. Trying to avoid pain on one part of your body has a cascading effect. My boy has corns on just one foot & some arthritis in his ankle on the same leg. Usually he does fairly well but he has a limp & has had three different muscle injuries on three different legs. Each time the vet suspected it was from the strange way Sol moves to compensate for his bad foot & ankle.

Sending pain relieving and antiinflammatory vibes to Benny. He's lucky to have such caring owners.

Oh no! I have had 3 dogs with corns and had decent luck with using a dremel on them to file them even with the pad and then using the tip to create a divot in the top of the corn. It would relieve some of the pressure. I would also hull them as I could, which helped. Yes, they cannot be cured but sometimes you are able to manage them to a certain degree. Acupuncture has helped my dogs when they have a muscle tear.

Hugs and scritches to Benny - hope he feels better!

gallery_16605_3214_8259.jpg

Cindy with Miss Fancypants, Paris Bueller, Zeke, and Angus 
Dante (Dg's Boyd), Zoe (In a While), Brady (Devilish Effect), Goose (BG Shotgun), Maverick (BG ShoMe), Maggie (All Trades Jax), Sherman (LNB Herman Bad) and Indy (BYB whippet) forever in my heart
The flame that burns the brightest, burns the fastest and leaves the biggest shadow

:bighug I understand where you are, Conner is getting to that point, but no muscles tears (yet). He doesn't have corns, but has an old racing injury that healed badly, and now a frozen toe on that foot. The opposite shoulder now has ligament/nerve damage from the years of adjusting his gait for the injured foot, and he now has problems on the two remaining feet (arthritis and a flat foot). He sees a chiropractor every 4-6 weeks which really helps him get back "in line", or as much as he possibly can. Laser treatments seems to help as well.

:candle Benny, one of my favorite GT dogs

Such a mixed bag for sweet Benny. {{{HUGS}}} for you Fiona.

Have you tried all the "home remedies" for corn management? Epsom salt soaks twice daily, moisturizing with a heavy duty moisturizing lotion, home hulling, the duct tape method mentioned above? It's helped our boy some. God, I hate corns almost as much as cancer!

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

Rice bran oil helps with building up muscle. I always give a teaspoon over my older boys diet so they keep their muscle mass even if they don't walk the long walks and don't run in the yard as often as they were used to. But be careful with younger pups. I fed the oil to all of my hounds and while Andy and Colin just kept their weights, Paddy literally exploded and looked like Schwarzenegger in dog form.

Sorry for butchering the english language. I try to keep the mistakes to a minimum.

Nadine with Paddy (Zippy Mullane), Saoirse (Lizzie Be Nice), Abu (Cillowen Abu) and bridge angels Colin (Dessies Hero) and Andy (Riot Officer).

But would the high Omega 6 content of rice bran oil exacerbate arthritis?

I looked it up but I couldn't find anything that indicates a connection between the oil and arthritis. I use it in combination with black seed oil. Since putting the oils in their diet I have the feeling that their immune system has improved.

You can also look up linseed oil. My younger boys get this because it has all the positive effects the rice bran oil has but with less excessive toning.

Sorry for butchering the english language. I try to keep the mistakes to a minimum.

Nadine with Paddy (Zippy Mullane), Saoirse (Lizzie Be Nice), Abu (Cillowen Abu) and bridge angels Colin (Dessies Hero) and Andy (Riot Officer).

Another update. He's doing better. Still stiff and sore but walking again, and snuggling like mad. We're working with massage and walking, but the reality is that it can only be managed. When he's suffering too much, he will go ahead to the bridge where he'll hopefully see me. Until then, he's on pain relief when needed, heat packs, and lots of smooches, which he seems to be enjoying.

He's getting lots of love! He really is such a special little guy. Yesterday he went with the girls to give a passerby a good barking at and came back eyes bright and tail wagging, so he's good for now. Just watching and loving.

He sends cold nose gooses and nuzzles to everyone here.

Spoil that boy! Sending you both lots of good thoughts.

rocket-signature-jpeg.jpg

Camp Broodie. The current home of Mark Kay Mark Jack and Gracie Kiowa Safe Joan.  Always missing my boy Rocket Hi Noon Rocket,  Allie  Phoenix Dynamite, Kate Miss Kate, Starz Under Da Starz, Petunia MW Neptunia, Diva Astar Dashindiva, and LaVida I've Got Life

Wow, so glad Benny is enjoying his days and hugs to you!

groupwindia-greytalk2.jpg

The handsome boy Brady, mid-morning nap. The sun, the sun feels so, so, so good.

I can't keep my eyes open ... ... Retirement agrees ...

... and the Diva Ms India, 2001 - 10/16/2009 ....

Love Benny :beatheart

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.

Sending more love from his internationally-dispered fan club! :beatheart

Kendra, devoted walker of Henry (Tom Jones: Great Son x Lucia)

Missing Badger (Vf Get R Done: Quicksand Slip x Ll Tee el See), 5/04 - 2/14, who opened our hearts and our home to greyhounds; Kenzie (Slatex Kenzie: Randy Handy x Slatex Chrisy), 4/03 - 10/14, who really knew what a good dog she was; Falcon (Atascocita Sabat: Dodgem by Design x Atascocita Barb), 9/10 - 1/20, who was grumpy and snarky but eventually a little bit cuddly, too; Grandpa Grey the Galgo Español, 2008 (?) to 2022, who made us feel lucky to be the ones to teach him about pet life; and Lucia (Larking About x Anastasia, 5/12 to 8/23), our first brood matron and the sweetest speckly girl.