Benny Is Limping

Looks like I'm in for a worrying few days. Benny is on three legs. Initially we thought it was his corn, but today he's toe-dragging and not happy. There's some tenderness in his shoulder as well. Greyhound vets here are few and far between, but a good friend is one. Unfortunately she lives three hours away and works an hour and a half away, and isn't in till Monday. She also knows all of his history, and knows I'm a worry wort. She's told me which painkiller to give, told me its probably age, arthritis and the cold. Another good friend has the drug on hand (greyhound trainer and breeder of show greys) and will be giving it to me tomorrow. And Benny is in for a weekend of limited movement and a vet visit Monday.

I guess I should be getting him in somewhere before then. But if we can manage his pain, my feeling is that if its arthritis, it won't degenerate. If it's a sprain, it'll begin healing. And if it's osteo, well, his kidneys and heart and back legs are such that there isn't much we would do beyond palliative care. I feel awful.

Good thoughts for your boy. Hope it's just arthritis acting up.

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Gus an coinnich sinn a'rithist my boys and little girl.

Double post.

Edited by Charlies_Dad

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Gus an coinnich sinn a'rithist my boys and little girl.

It could be Benny's neck is tweaked. Good thoughts for your boy, hang in there. Hugs.

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.

Hang in there. I know its hard. Please keep us posted.

"Then God sent the Greyhound to live among man and remember. And when the day comes God will call the Greyhound to give Testament, and God will pass judgment on man."

Persian Proverb

I've had quite a few greyts with serious spinal issues that presented with lameness etc. You mentioned foot dragging---to me that says neurological and prolly a disc issue(although it could be something far more serious like a clot etc). I had great success on the spinal cases managing it withTramadol and Robaxin. I stayed away from the canine NSAID's because I have misgivings about their safety. Hugs to sweet Benny!(gently!)

Sending best wishes to Benny, and to you--as a fellow worrier, I know it's hard! Gentle hugs all around!

Kendra, devoted walker of Henry (Tom Jones: Great Son x Lucia)

Missing Badger (Vf Get R Done: Quicksand Slip x Ll Tee el See), 5/04 - 2/14, who opened our hearts and our home to greyhounds; Kenzie (Slatex Kenzie: Randy Handy x Slatex Chrisy), 4/03 - 10/14, who really knew what a good dog she was; Falcon (Atascocita Sabat: Dodgem by Design x Atascocita Barb), 9/10 - 1/20, who was grumpy and snarky but eventually a little bit cuddly, too; Grandpa Grey the Galgo Español, 2008 (?) to 2022, who made us feel lucky to be the ones to teach him about pet life; and Lucia (Larking About x Anastasia, 5/12 to 8/23), our first brood matron and the sweetest speckly girl. 

He managed to hop up onto our bed last night so I'm thinking he'll be sleeping with us for the next few days. I've checked his neck and back - above mentioned friends have shown me how in the past and all my greys get regular checks, stretches and massages - and apart from the 'normal' issues from arthritis,corns and old injuries, I've found nothing. But I'll definitely keep it in mind.

Meanwhile, Paige seems to be having an intestinal response to Advantix, so she needs a bath! Raining and pouring here.

Hoping Benny and Paige feel better soon.

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Rita the podenco maneta, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels:  Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

Update: so we saw the vet today. The good news is that it isn't osteo.

But there is bad news.

Benny has corns on all four paws, but the leg he was limping worst on has the worst corn. But he's torn both triceps. The vet thinks that he's been holding himself tense from the pain in his feet, and this has resulted in micro tears in the muscle when walking and last week it just got too much. This has then resulted in his holding his back stiff which has resulted in more pain through his back and hind legs.

The problem is that he's also arthritic, the corns come back within a week of hulling, and he's losing some muscle tone, and he didn't have much to start with. He can't really be walked, because of his triceps, but can't be left at home because of the arthritis. We can't leave him on the anti-inflam drugs for more than three days at a time. Band he doesn't tolerate boots.

So, we're going with ultrasound on the muscles, magnets across his back, heat packs and gentle massage and stretching. Then we'll need to get him back to the underwater treadmill once a week or so to build up some strength. But there is no cure for this. It's only management.

And while it wasn't said out loud, we were talking about how we'd 'know' it was time. He's still responsive and happy, and lives his walks and his cuddles. He's eating with zest and is enjoying watching the world go by. But it is very clear to me that we're entering a phase of watching and caring, but not curing.

:grouphug Strength to you and hugs for your sweet boy. Corns are just evil, I am so sorry. I will say it again, thank goodness greyhounds Benny landed with you when he did.

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.