Cat Fight, Or Spider Bite?

Brees chomped a cat about 3 weeks ago. Stitches in various places, antibiotics, the usual. There's another thread about her ear. Anyhow, her snooter started swelling over the weekend. It wasn't bad, so I went the compress route rather than doing the e-vet. It also looked good today, so I did more compresses. Wrong move. I guess it itched, because she decided to take off the skin. I have her in a borrowed cone now (thanks Candice!!) and shoved a tramadol down her throat to chill her out.

So, is this from the cat event, or did something bite her while she investigated the bushes?

Vet tomorrow, right? More antibiotics, right?

Dammit, Brees!!!

Forgot the pics!!

06075B0D-0C40-4C5D-91E8-8ADC92D764B0.jpg

ADD62BA1-354C-42EC-9DCE-BB9F4E4AF065.jpg

I smeared triple antibiotic ointment on it.

Gee. Well 3 weeks is a long enough time for cat scratches to no longer be concerned about after antibiotics I would think but I really dunno. Was there a scratch where that sore is? I'd say this is perhaps from a face in the bushes instead. Doesn't look pleasant that's for sure. Swelling huh. Maybe she got stung? A sting wouldn't leave a welt like that. Horsefly? They take nice chunks.... Yup. Vet tomorrow for sure. Fix her up yet again

Proudly owned by:
10 year old "Ryder" CR Redman Gotcha May 2010
12.5 year old Angel "Kasey" Goodbye Kasey Gotcha July 2005-Aug 1, 2015

Brees took the chunk out of her own nose. When I saw her yesterday it was swollen but nothing else.

Brees, you are a hot mess and make everyone worry.

gallery_24215_3397_4722.jpg

Carolina (R and A Carolina) & Rebel (FA Ready).
At the bridge: Kira (Driven by Energy) 7/19/97 - 6/17/04 & Jake (Jumpstart Dude) 9/12/00 - 1/24/15

Ugh, either way, it looks really infected. Was she on a 10-day antibiotic for the ear? If so, I'd guess that those ABX were keeping it at bay, but now they're out of her system, this thing is back in full force. I wouldn't be surprised if it was a cat bite. The bacteria the lives on cat teeth is nasty as hell. She'll definitely need a stronger ABX this time.

Hmmm... looks a bit like Eosinophilic Furunculosis of the Face. German Shepherds are usually the ones that are predisposed, but it could technically happen to any breed because it's an immune reaction to an insect bite. I treated a dog last summer that had it. Wish I had the pictures of this patient on my computer. It was intense. It took over his entire muzzle, was super itchy so he traumatized it before they were able to get a cone on him, and it progressed rather quickly. We ended up bringing him in for a biopsy to confirm the diagnosis. He responded almost instantly to steroids, though it did take about 2 weeks for it to fully resolve (when I saw him for his suture removal the lesions had all resolved but poor guy had almost no hair left anywhere on his muzzle).

Anyway, might not be that specifically obviously, but could certainly be some sort of reaction. Doesn't really look like a cat bite issue, but cat bites are weird things that do unexpected things, so certainly wouldn't be outside the realm of possibility. Also, it's hard to tell just from pictures of course. I'd take her in to see your vet for some diagnostics and/or a treatment plan.

Edited by krissy

Kristie and the Apex Agility Greyhounds: Kili (ATChC AgMCh Lakilanni Where Eagles Fly RN IP MSCDC MTRDC ExS Bronze ExJ Bronze ) and Kenna (Lakilanni Kiss The Sky RN MADC MJDC AGDC AGEx AGExJ). Waiting at the Bridge: Retired racer Summit (Bbf Dropout) May 5, 2005-Jan 30, 2019

Like us on Facebook!

There was a small puncture where the swelling started, but it was healed and looked fine till Saturday. I know that it *could* still be from the cat, but it just seems like a long time.

Alicia, she did ten days on antibiotics for the cat bites about 3 weeks ago. The vet saw her last week after she tore out the stitches in her foot. I asked about more antibiotics then, but was told the ear was fine, and to do Epsom salt soaks on the foot. The foot is all healed now, and the ear is ok.

She was breathing heavily a bit ago, so I gave her a benedryl. She's comfortable now. That has me thinking bug bite/allergic reaction.

Make sure they do a swab and culture it to get the right ABs. It could be some sort of reaction to the cat bite that just was laying in wait until the most inopportune moment :rolleyes: and then it swelled up and burst open.

If she will let you, you can still soak a cloth in epsom salt water and compress it.

Brees, dear one. Just stop this now! :shakefinger

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

Yeah, I'd get her into the vet today to get next steps. That seems pretty extreme for her to have done to herself from scratching in such a short period. The healed over puncture seems particularly suspicious. Makes me think it's possible there was some infection brewing that the ABs were keeping at bay.

Violet had her muzzle swell up a couple of weeks ago. Her thread is in H&M. The swelling got bad quickly and she got better with Apoquel (an allergy med). The best i can figure, and it's a real guess, is that she came into contact with something and had an allergic reaction. Maybe it's the season?

Either way, your poor girl looks pathetic. I hope she heals up quickly!

Edited by NeylasMom

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

Agree about asking your vet for a culture. Ringworm fungus might be a possibility, especially after a cat bite and nail scratch. Until you have her diagnosis, might help to wash your hands after handling Brees' face. (I assume you don't have any new skin irritations on yourself.)

Vet visit for sure.

Harold's spider bite started as just a little swollen spot and within a day or so it grew, burst, and tissue started sloughing off.

Hope your girl gets some relief soon.

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels: Rita the podenco maneta, Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

Krissy, I just google eosinophilic furunculosis, and YUCK!!!! Those poor critters look so sad.

I'm going to text a link to this thread for husband so he won't forget to mention everyone's ideas.

This is this morning. All the antibiotic goo is off, and it has mostly dried out, except for a couple tiny spots that are oozing. I'm not going to goop it up again before she goes to the vet.

DCB928BC-286D-4479-AFCC-D2CD5A015E69.jpg

She slept well and stopped bothering her face once I gave her benedryl, so I took the cone off. No more heavy breathing, either.

Poor girlie...

I'd be tempted to leave it alone and let it dry up and form a scab :dunno

Nancy...Mom to Sid (Peteles Tiger), Kibo (112 Carlota Galgos) and Joshi.  Missing Casey, Gomer, Mona, Penelope, BillieJean, Bandit, Nixon (Starz Sammie),  Ruby (Watch Me Dash) Nigel (Nigel), and especially little Mario, waiting at the Bridge.

SKJ-summer.jpg.31e290e1b8b0d604d47a8be586ae7361.jpg

Until you mentioned ring worm the first thing that popped into my mind was the strange image I saw on the nape of my daughter's neck when she was 14. It looked like a cigarette burn,but low and behold it was a spider bite!! First the dr. Thought a brown venomous house spider. Don't look at what happens to those bites!! To make a long story short, after she got over the contagious part of chicken pox I brought her to a surgeon to have it debris and he identified hit as black widow bite!!

Do see what the vet thinks

Since Rob skipped the vet today, the earliest I can reasonably do is Thursday (unless it gets scary). I'm smearing lotrimin on both dogs in the meantime.

I'm actually glad I found the thing on Joe. Ringworm is gross, but managable.

It was "diagnosed" by a friend who acquired a kitten with it last summer. It spread to her other cats, herself and her husband, so she's pretty confident that's what is going on.

Do you happen to have a close-up photo of that spot before just Brees scratched it raw?

IMO, whether my mention of ringworm is on target or if it's something else, I'd still get a culture since it was from a cat's bite/scratch. Too many other possibilities to not culture. I'd consider calling your vet's office early Wed. morning to ask if Lotrimin should be stopped before a culture sample is taken, or if it might be detrimental to Brees lesion if ends up being a different diagnoses. Sorry that Joe has a similar lesion. If it happens to be ringworm, it's not fun and could be worse if combined with infection. Good luck.

Do you happen to have a close-up photo of that spot before just Brees scratched it raw?

IMO, whether my mention of ringworm is on target or if it's something else, I'd still get a culture since it was from a cat's bite/scratch. Too many other possibilities to not culture. I'd consider calling your vet's office early Wed. morning to ask if Lotrimin should be stopped before a culture sample is taken, or if it might be detrimental to Brees lesion if ends up being a different diagnoses. Sorry that Joe has a similar lesion. If it happens to be ringworm, it's not fun and could be worse if combined with infection. Good luck.

Ringworm is exceedingly rare in dogs. Most "ringworm" lesions end up being staphpyoderma. Stop any topical treatments and see your vet.

Ok.

This is Joe's spot

493F4DB7-AB33-460B-9FA0-55A4DC889314.jpg

Edited by Riverhound