Adopting My 1St Grey

Guest 1greytmum

Guest 1greytmum

Hi Everyone!!

I just got approved to adopt a greyhound and I am STOKED!! I've been stalking the forums here for about a week or so. To be honest, I have been obsessed with this breed for 10 years(I'm 25!) and so many are probably underestimating my excitement. :beatheart

I waited so long because I was working 2-3 jobs and just didn't have the time I wanted (also parents were against large dogs in the house) and also I now have my own place and a fenced in backyard.

A grey was chosen for placement with me since I would like one that loves to be petted and is also good with small dogs as my roommate currently has a dog as well... She is completely on board with it, and works at a doggy day care.

I have a date to meet him this coming Sunday and I seriously cannot wait. Wish me luck! I can't wait to share pics and stories with you all!

BTW: I am in Beaverton, OR so if anyone is nearby and has tips/tricks for the area, or wants to meet up once things are going swell, that would be amazing!

-
Loves,

Sarah :ghplaybow

Guest CryHavoc

Congratulations! welcome to the forums. I'm relatively new here myself and don't have greyhounds (Afghan and Borzoi) but everyone has been so nice and welcoming!

looking forward to hearing all about your future hound and of course seeing pictures!

Bea

Amelia: Afghan hound

Coraline: Borzoi

Basil: Borzoi

Tallahassee: Borzoi

Guest 1greytmum

Thanks everyone; I just have to say, I love the forum so far!

I found out a few minor details from his foster mum. He is between 75-80 pounds(which I hear is average) and he gets sporadic car sickness. But she said it is probably partially due to him being nervous and not comfortable in a car. I am anxious to meet him on Sunday. :)

CryHavoc: I LOVE Borzoi! They are beautiful dogs.

Welcome from Chicago! You will be amazed at how your life will change once you bring your hound home and I mean this in the best way! The people you will meet, the places you will go. There are greyhound festivals all over the country. Nothing better than taking a vacation with your hound and being surrounded by greyhounds.

This forum will be a big help, don't hestitate to ask questions or for advice.

Hello and congrats from Germany.

Sorry for butchering the english language. I try to keep the mistakes to a minimum.

Nadine with Paddy (Zippy Mullane), Saoirse (Lizzie Be Nice), Abu (Cillowen Abu) and bridge angels Colin (Dessies Hero) and Andy (Riot Officer).

Guest 1greytmum

Hi Everyone!

I was unfortunately unable to get the Grey I was looking at. He was labeled as "small dog workable" and when he met my roommate's dog(a beagle/sheltie) he kinda went nuts! We realized that he wasn't listening to the signs that Dani(the beagle) was giving him, that she didn't want to play. We had to put them back on leash and decided to try for one that would wasn't as high strung. He was beautiful tho, black w/ a little white, and I was really really bummed for a week or so.

My placement representative got back to me after the holidays were over and I got to meet a charming girl yesterday. Dani doesn't meet other dogs well while on leash, so the plan is to have the Grey brought to our house this Friday, Jan 8th, and if Dani and her get along, she'll stay!

My goal is to remember to not be nervous; since they can sense that! Also, I haven't had a chance to go buy any dog related stuff yet since I want to be sure things work out before going out and spending a bunch of money. The goal with that is if she stays Friday night, to go out first thing Saturday morning to buy some food and all that good stuff!

Let me know if y'all have any tips! I am soooo excited still!

Edit: I will post pics if/when she stays!

~ Sarah

Edited by 1greytmum

We're all so excited for you!

There are threads in the archives about things to get for your new grey, but I'd start simple, and shop at Goodwill for some thick blankets rather than investing in fancy beds right away. And look for some stuffed animals while you're there ... they won't have squeakers, but you'll be able to get a sense on whether your new family addition likes toys (before you spend lots of money on them).

Guest 1greytmum

That is some really good advice about the blankets! Thank you!

I had a friend who was kind enough to buy poop bags, a chew toy, and a snorting hedgehog toy for me for Christmas! ^_^ And I've got an big ol' cotton blanket I am planning on using too. :)

Guest 1greytmum

I signed the dotted line last night! First evening went good. She really doesn't like our slick floor by the front door and stairs, haha

She only had me get up once last night to go potty! And she got up and paced in my room a little bit partially through the night, but I think that's pretty good for a first night! She wanted up on my bed really badly(she's a rehome) and I sternly told her no. I can't believe how badly it hurt me to say that! I had a Lhasa Apso before and he was always allowed up with us. Spoiled little brat he was though. lol ;)

So far this morning she's had breakfast and gone potty, and we will go for a walk in a little! It's amazing how little time it takes before they steal your heart! I'm posting from my phone since my laptop cord died or else I would add pictures. For those of you who want to look her up on the database, her racing name is Ale Nicki Minaj. <3

This is gonna be a fun ride.

Guest 1greytmum

Greyhound_Ale_Nicki_Minaj-big.jpg

From this picture, do you think she may need to lose weight? I think she looks good (this is her database pic but its pretty much what she resembles now still)

Her hip bones poke out a little too much for my liking, but other than that I think she looks fine.

She looks wonderful! Congreytulations!

Some greys are a little more barrel-chested than others, and she may be one of those. Her tuck looks slim enough. You can experiment by having her drop a pound or two. Since she's a rehome, getting back on a regular walking schedule will help her gain a little muscle tone, too.

I hope she's enjoying the grunting hedgehog as much as my dogs have.

siggy_z1ybzn.jpg

Ellen, with brindle Milo and the blonde ballerina, Gelsey

remembering Eve, Baz, Scout, Romie, Nutmeg, and Jeter