Mass On Leg

There is a mass on Kasey's leg. High up on his bum/upper thigh on the inside, about 2.5 inches by 1 inch or so.....Got him packed up in the car and off we went to the vet to figure out what it is. I had brought it to their attention when he went in for his LS diagnosis in mid March and at the time it wasn't a priority. I was to monitor it if it got bigger/smaller, etc. He feels no pain to having it touched. There is no bruising or obvious visual issue with it, it's just a big big bump. It actually didn't change much in the past month, and if anything only got slightly bigger but barely noticeable for size difference. Since I decided it's not changing one way or the other, and I seem to now have a better handle on his LS let's go take a look.

He had a fine needle aspiration which revealed it's all blood within the area. Best guess is that a blood vessel is broken and the blood is just sitting on top of the muscle. But that the vessel isn't healing and is still leaking and causing it to continue filling. The blood also isn't being reabsorbed by the body....so what we have here is strange. I'd like to think it happened under trauma - he was falling a lot and doing the splits before I was able to get him his diagnosis and meds, but really we discussed all potentials including dreaded cancer type words. While the vet believes the likelihood of it being cancerous is slim, we won't know until we explore further.

He's going in for a tissue biopy next week, we wait for 3 or 4 days for results and then are scheduling a surgery to have it removed (they also agreed to do a dental while he's under, I'm so grateful).

This old pup has had an absolutely horrible week. I could use some good thoughts.

Proudly owned by:
10 year old "Ryder" CR Redman Gotcha May 2010
12.5 year old Angel "Kasey" Goodbye Kasey Gotcha July 2005-Aug 1, 2015

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hoping it's one of those medical mysteries that never bothers him, isn't anything bad, and goes away (with or without the surgery). Hugs to you and your pupper.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

:goodluck Sending good thoughts.

Cynthia, & Cristiano, galgo
Always in my heart: Frostman
Newdawn Frost, Keno Jet Action & Chloe (NGA racing name unknown), Irys (galgo), Hannah (weim), Cruz (galgo), & Carly CW Your Charming

Princess http://www.greyhound-data.com/d?i=1018857

"It came to me that every time I lose a dog they take a piece of my heart with them. And every new dog who comes into my life, gifts me with a piece of their heart. If I live long enough, all the components of my heart will be dog, and I will become as generous and loving as they are." -- Unknown

EZ had a large mass on his leg. It was not smooth to the touch - so I knew it wasn't a cyst. We had it removed and the margins all were clear, but the growth itself was cancerous with a moderate rate of recurrence but a slow regrowth. He lived to be over 13 - and it wasn't that which got him in the end....just old failing back legs.....

Hopefully it is not malignant, but if it is, all good thoughts your way.

gallery_22387_3315_35426.jpg

Robin, EZ (Tribal Track), JJ (What a Story), Dustin (E's Full House) and our beautiful Jack (Mana Black Jack) and Lily (Chip's Little Miss Lily) both at the Bridge
The WFUBCC honors our beautiful friends at the bridge. Godspeed sweet angels.

Adding my prayers and sending good vibes for you and Kasey. :grouphug

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.

EZ had a large mass on his leg. It was not smooth to the touch - so I knew it wasn't a cyst. We had it removed and the margins all were clear, but the growth itself was cancerous with a moderate rate of recurrence but a slow regrowth. He lived to be over 13 - and it wasn't that which got him in the end....just old failing back legs.....

Hopefully it is not malignant, but if it is, all good thoughts your way.

This has made me feel some relief, and sounds very similar. Vet is hoping to get clear margins as well and hoping no or slow regrowth, really hoping it's a vessel that isn't clotting that explains why the whole thing is full of blood and only blood, but who am I kidding :( I'll know more in about 2 weeks time, but he did throw out the words like hemangiosarcoma and hemangioma and more vet speak. I'm just waiting to hear the results before I jump to conclusions and worry myself even more.

Thank you all for your thoughts. It pains me to see him declining so rapidly, with seemingly a new issue every few weeks.

Proudly owned by:

So he had his core biopsy this morning, or should I say blood draining episode. After a local anesthetic they went in for the biopsy, where it promptly spewed blood ALL over the place (because as mentioned previously the mass is full of blood). They got what they needed, and sutured it up and put a bandage on, which of course fell off en route to the car. The tech bandaged it up again and in the car he went where of course the bandage fell off again. Blood on the bed, the towels, the back of the car......bandage put back on. But of course he is not comfy, so proceeds to get up and turn around constantly in the car.....more blood LOL. Poor guy. They sent us home with Amicar which he's been given as well as a meal and is now laying comfortably, but oh me oh my. Here is the pitiful looking boy. On the plus side, he gained 3 pounds in a week. :) Results of the sample expected in a few days.

kasey%20bandage_zpsuzm2vzzj.jpg

Proudly owned by: