Good Thoughts For Miss Minerva Please

Guest zombrie

Guest zombrie

NO- no other symptoms! Thankfully she continued to eat/drink/eliminate normally. I was so afraid she would stop eating. That's why I was so taken aback when I read of Miss Minerva. It was so much like what Bobber went through. We did the tick test and all too- all negative. Conventional vet was just taking shots into the dark trying different antibiotics hoping to score a hit. None of them worked until the very last one that coincided with the acupuncture treatment. We could get the fever down some for a few hours by giving different things but as soon as they wore off the fever would shoot up again to 104+. Conventional vet really did good diagnostics by suspecting the possible kidney infection because the tests really were not "off" enough to point you in any direction-no blood in the urine or nothing; blood ok etc. Holistic vet that did the acupuncture confirmed the kidney involvement. She had never had any problems of any kind previous and was only 4 when this occurred.

Wow! I will call the vet and suggest it. Thank you! Right now she has no clue what she is treating for :unsure Just been trying to get the fever down. Vet put her on Clavamox last night

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Heart did the same thing, a 106 fever, no other symptoms and it was a raging UTI. No signs at all at home that that could be the problem.

Still praying for your girl.

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

Wow! I will call the vet and suggest it. Thank you! Right now she has no clue what she is treating for :unsure Just been trying to get the fever down. Vet put her on Clavamox last night

Yeah we didn't have a clue either. When I get home I will look and see the name of the antibiotic that "worked" and let you know. Honestly Bobber might have died if we hadn't found it. The vet said she was really worried about her. If you have to go that route and try different ones in hopes of finding one that works then you can add it to the mix. Who knows? That was another thing that I was worried about- tearing up her stomach/intestines by using so many different antibiotics/drugs in such a short period of time but thank God it didn't happen.

Heart did the same thing, a 106 fever, no other symptoms and it was a raging UTI. No signs at all at home that that could be the problem.

Still praying for your girl.

Isn't that amazing?! Apparently you just can't count on seeing any symptoms for UTI/kidney issues with these dogs.

Guest zombrie

Yeah we didn't have a clue either. When I get home I will look and see the name of the antibiotic that "worked" and let you know. Honestly Bobber might have died if we hadn't found it. The vet said she was really worried about her. If you have to go that route and try different ones in hopes of finding one that works then you can add it to the mix. Who knows? That was another thing that I was worried about- tearing up her stomach/intestines by using so many different antibiotics/drugs in such a short period of time but thank God it didn't happen.

Isn't that amazing?! Apparently you just can't count on seeing any symptoms for UTI/kidney issues with these dogs.

That does seem odd... I wonder if this is what is happening... My parent's grey Mira has had a couple UTIs but it was very obvious. I guess they are all different. I'm still waiting for results from the tests.

Can they not do a urinalysis and bloodwork in house? Seems like you have waited a long time for those?

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

:hope:hope:hope:hope

For Minerva..........................

Edited by greysmom

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

Praying for Minerva. :goodluck:goodluck:goodluck

Tests should have been done in-house. Does your Vet have ultrasound? Could have done a sterile draw from the bladder to start a culture. Hope it's just a UTI.

Linda, Mom to Fuzz, Barkley, and the felines Miss Kitty, Simon and Joseph.Waiting at The Bridge: Alex, Josh, Harley, Nikki, Beemer, Anna, Frank, Rachel, my heart & soul, Suze and the best boy ever, Dalton.<p>

:candle ....for all those hounds that are sick, hurt, lost or waiting for their forever homes. SENIORS ROCK :rivethead

Three weeks before I found her lymph nodes swollen and she was diagnosed with lymphoma Beanie spiked an unexplained fever of close to 106°. May have been totally unrelated, but I would keep a close watch on her lymph nodes following this.

How is she doing?

On May 2, Robin spiked a fever of 106.5 and spent two days at VESCONE, the emergency hospital here. We did test after test and found nothing wrong, and the next morning he still wasn't really responding to the treatment. So I asked them to pull blood and urine samples to culture, and then to start him on doxycycline, treating him as if he had a TBD, even though we didn't have those results in yet.

He was starting to get better that night, and was able to come home the next night. I don't know if it was the doxy that did it, though, as the tick panel came back clear, showing exposure to a couple, but no active infections. We kept him on the doxy just in case the infection was hiding in the nervous system or something like that....

Three days later, we got the urine culture results back. They were positive for some sort of infection (I don't know if it was a bladder infection, UTI, or what), so we started him on Cephalexin, another antibiotic, based on those results. He has steadily gotten better and is happily lying in the grass as we speak...

After all this, what was it? I'm not sure. I would say it was the infection that showed up in the urine, like a raging UTI as someone else had above, but the weird thing is that he was already getting much better before got those results and started the new antibiotic. Maybe it was that, and the doxy got it started. Who knows? Another possibility I haven't ruled out is that the tick panel that was run only checked for the TBDs that are common here in New England. But Robin came from Florida, albeit 9 years ago, and he lived in Virginia for 3 years, so he could have had a TBD that wasn't checked for. He had also had Lyme Disease when he was younger, so maybe that came back, but for some reason didn't show on the tick panel.

So I second getting a urine culture, as that was the only thing that came up positive in Robin. And consider starting doxy as well. There are so many TBDs, and I feel like these tests can be uncertain. At least, that was my experience. Super frustrated that I don't know for sure what it was, but just glad that my boy is well again (although weaker--he's getting older and this kicked his a**). Hoping and praying that you have similar positive results for Minerva soon.

Cathy & Calvin (DOB 9/18/13). Always missing my angel Robin (Abdo Bullard).

Guest zombrie

We FINALLY have an answer. Minerva was diagnosed with Anaplasmosis. A couple of greyhound trainers (including Brindles :) ) were able to give me some great tips to get her temp down. Her fever is down to 103.5 (from 105) but hopefully we can kick it once we get the Doxy in her system.

We FINALLY have an answer. Minerva was diagnosed with Anaplasmosis. A couple of greyhound trainers (including Brindles :) ) were able to give me some great tips to get her temp down. Her fever is down to 103.5 (from 105) but hopefully we can kick it once we get the Doxy in her system.

Beautiful!

| Rachel | Dewty, Trigger, and Charlotte | Missing Dazzle, Echo, and Julio |

dewttrigsnowsig.jpg
Learn what your greyhound's life was like before becoming part of yours!
"The only thing better than the cutest kitty in the world is any dog." -Daniel Tosh

I'm glad you have a diagnosis. I hope Minerva is feeling much better very soon.

Standard Poodle Daisy (12/13)
Missing Cora (RL Nevada 5/99-10/09), Piper (Cee Bar Easy 2/99-1/10), Tally (Thunder La La 9/99-3/10), Edie (Daring Reva 9/99-10/12), Dixie (Kiowa Secret Sue 11/01-1/13), Jessie (P's Real Time 11/98-3/13), token boy Graham (Zydeco Dancer 9/00-5/13), Cal (Back Already 12/99-11/13), Betsy (Back Kick Beth 11/98-12/13), Standard Poodles Minnie (1/99-1/14) + Perry (9/98-2/14), Annie (Do Marcia 9/03-10/14), Pink (Miss Pinky Baker 1/02-6/15), Poppy (Cmon Err Not 8/05-1/16), Kat (Jax Candy 5/05-5/17), Ivy (Jax Isis 10/07-7/21), Hildy (Braska Hildy 7/10-12/22), Opal (Jax Opal 7/08-4/23). Toodles (BL Toodles 7/09-4/24)

Guest Fasave

My vet told me that cases of anaplasmosis are on the rise here in New England. Glad you have a diagnosis and I hope Minerva feels better soon. As a side note, Thunder was on doxy for a month last year for Lyme and it does mess with the digestive system. He didn't seem to care but for the month he was on it, there was no such things as a nice firm bouncy poop. May want to consider adding probiotics whiles she's on doxy. Feel better Minerva!

So glad you got a diagnosis and can now combat it.

Ivy had/has? Anasplasmosis. She had 4 different TBD's. We were on Doxy for a very, very long time.

gallery_12867_3348_20333.jpg
~Beth, with a crazy mixed crew of misfits.
~ Forever and Always missing and loving Steak, Carmen, Ivy, Isis, and Madi.
Don't cry because it's ended, Smile because it happened.
Before you judge me, try to keep an open mind, not everyone likes your taste.