Good Thoughts For Miss Minerva Please

Guest zombrie

Guest zombrie

We spent all night at the emergency vet and we still don't know what is wrong. She has had a fever of 105.1 since 8:00 last night. They did a snap test and it all came back negative for TBDs. They sent out a full blood panel and a urinalysis so we're still waiting for those results, and hopefully we will get answers. Last night they started her on fluids and antibiotics for good measure. She is eating fine and is drinking on her own, just a high fever and very, very lethargic. She was 100% normal the night before so this came on very suddenly.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How frightening! Poor beautiful girlie. I hope whatever it is, is minor and passes quickly. :goodluck

gallery_4518_2903_2157.jpg
~Aimee, with Flower, Alan, Queenie, & Spodee Odee! And forever in my heart: Tipper, Sissy, Chancy, Marla, Dazzle, Alimony, and Boo. This list is too damned long.

How scary. Hope you have reassuring answers soon.

Valerie w/ Cash (CashforClunkers) & Lucy (Racing School Dropout)
Missing our gorgeous Miss
Diamond (Shorty's Diamond), sweet boy Gabe (Zared) and Holly (ByGollyItsHolly), who never made it home.

Oh no! Hope you can get an answer, and quickly!

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

sending good thoughts and hope it is something minor.

Jan with precious pups Emmy (Stormin J Flag) and Simon (Nitro Si) and Abbey Field.  Missing my angels: Bailey Buffetbobleclair 11/11/98-17/12/09; Ben Task Rapid Wave 5/5/02-2/11/15; Brooke Glo's Destroyer 7/09/06-21/06/16 and Katie Crazykatiebug 12/11/06 -21/08/21. My blog about grief The reality is that you will grieve forever. You will not get over the loss of a loved one; you will learn to live with it. You will rebuild yourself around the loss you have suffered. You will be whole again but you will never be the same. Nor should you be the same, nor would you want to. Elisabeth Kübler-Ross

Oh no! Praying for the sweet girl. Be sure and make sure it is not a kidney infection. Bobber went through something similar-ran a fever of ~104.8 of a sudden ;not a clue from tests what was wrong; several different antibiotics tried-even iv antibiotics-and nothing was working; fever remained for going on a week. I was afraid she was going to seizure from the continued high fever. Took her to my acupuncture vet and shortly after that the antibiotics started "working" and her fever began to go down and she began to get well. Also FWIW Bobber seen the Fresh Factor bottle and although she didn't normally get them at the time she "asked" for some. So I thought well-heck I'll give them to her-she's so sick its certainly not going to hurt her and who knows? I thought it was kind of strange that she asked for them(~the nose nudge) herself as she doesn't normally do that. And that coincided with the beginning of her recovery too. So who knows? At any rate I don't remember the name of the condition-its at home in her records and the antibiotic vial that finally worked is still in my refrigerator. I kept it in case it ever happened again I'd know what worked but I don't remember what the name of it was either and I'm not home now to look. But it was some kind of systemic kidney infection. After discussing it with my vet we believe her energy pathways were just so blocked the antibiotics wouldn't/couldn't work. Once she got treated with the acupuncture and they got opened up the antibiotics were able to work. It was very scarey. Hope Miss Minerva responds soon!

Guest zombrie

Oh no! Praying for the sweet girl. Be sure and make sure it is not a kidney infection. Bobber went through something similar-ran a fever of ~104.8 of a sudden ;not a clue from tests what was wrong; several different antibiotics tried-even iv antibiotics-and nothing was working; fever remained for going on a week. I was afraid she was going to seizure from the continued high fever. Took her to my acupuncture vet and shortly after that the antibiotics started "working" and her fever began to go down and she began to get well. Also FWIW Bobber seen the Fresh Factor bottle and although she didn't normally get them at the time she "asked" for some. So I thought well-heck I'll give them to her-she's so sick its certainly not going to hurt her and who knows? I thought it was kind of strange that she asked for them(~the nose nudge) herself as she doesn't normally do that. And that coincided with the beginning of her recovery too. So who knows? At any rate I don't remember the name of the condition-its at home in her records and the antibiotic vial that finally worked is still in my refrigerator. I kept it in case it ever happened again I'd know what worked but I don't remember what the name of it was either and I'm not home now to look. But it was some kind of systemic kidney infection. After discussing it with my vet we believe her energy pathways were just so blocked the antibiotics wouldn't/couldn't work. Once she got treated with the acupuncture and they got opened up the antibiotics were able to work. It was very scarey. Hope Miss Minerva responds soon!

Thanks for the info. Did she have any other symptoms other than the fever?

Minerva had a temp recheck an hour ago and it was slightly down to 104.6. Still high but it's going in the right direction. She ate, she drank a little, and went outside and did #1 and #2 normally. I'm stumped as to what could be going on. Other than her fever she is fine.

As for the heat stroke suggestion - It's a good thought but she hasn't been outside longer than a couple minutes to go to the bathroom, she hasn't gotten over heated. The last time she was out for a long period of time was around 8:00pm two nights ago.

:hope:grouphug

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.

Thanks for the info. Did she have any other symptoms other than the fever?

Minerva had a temp recheck an hour ago and it was slightly down to 104.6. Still high but it's going in the right direction. She ate, she drank a little, and went outside and did #1 and #2 normally. I'm stumped as to what could be going on. Other than her fever she is fine.

As for the heat stroke suggestion - It's a good thought but she hasn't been outside longer than a couple minutes to go to the bathroom, she hasn't gotten over heated. The last time she was out for a long period of time was around 8:00pm two nights ago.

NO- no other symptoms! Thankfully she continued to eat/drink/eliminate normally. I was so afraid she would stop eating. That's why I was so taken aback when I read of Miss Minerva. It was so much like what Bobber went through. We did the tick test and all too- all negative. Conventional vet was just taking shots into the dark trying different antibiotics hoping to score a hit. None of them worked until the very last one that coincided with the acupuncture treatment. We could get the fever down some for a few hours by giving different things but as soon as they wore off the fever would shoot up again to 104+. Conventional vet really did good diagnostics by suspecting the possible kidney infection because the tests really were not "off" enough to point you in any direction-no blood in the urine or nothing; blood ok etc. Holistic vet that did the acupuncture confirmed the kidney involvement. She had never had any problems of any kind previous and was only 4 when this occurred.

Edited by racindog