First Time My New Fuzzy Will Be Off Leash....suggestions?

Guest Isabella

Guest Isabella

I recently adopted a Staghound, whom I have named Izzy, I have all the supplies bought to build my fence but alas I live in Iowa and we are covered in snow. So I have gotten LOTS of exercise in the past 10 days taking Izzy on walks. Now that she is settling in she is really wanting to run and play while on the leash ( I do not run !) so this weekend I would like to take her to a dog park and let her get some exercise, unfortunately I have to drive 45 minutes to get to one so can not do this everyday. My question or concern is I have not had her off leash and am very nervous that I will not be able to catch her once in the dog park. I have no idea how her recall is. She came from a very bad situation and has some fears, which I have already noticed an improvement in the past 10 days. What are some opinions on whether I should take her to the park and if so some suggestions (besides treats, she is not very treat motivated yet) to get her to come back to me. Thanks for any help !

574445_2933421871805_166083123_n.jpg

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Despite how much she would like to run off leash, I would really have second, third, fourth, and fifth thoughts. You haven't had her very long. Certainly not long enough to know how she will react in any given situation. Are you prepared to be at the dog park for four hours, waiting until she wears herself out enough to let you catch her?

Have you inspected the dog park to know that the fencing is secure, and high enough that she couldn't jump out of she got spooked by something?

Do you know how she will react to other dogs of all sizes? Would she attack a small fluffy? Or fear attack a larger, more aggressive dog who bumps or challenges her?

How does she react to strange people? Loud noises?

It won't hurt her to not have a run. Many greyhounds never get the chance post-racing if they're adopted in the city, and they do just fine.

She's sure a cutie pie! :wub: Congrats!

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

You might want to wait a bit longer, but the least of my worries would be "catching" her. The main ones would be the how does she react with other dogs and how bonded is she to you?

Never ever try and chase a greyhound (or mix) - you'll never win, for the most part that applies to any dog. If you get their attention then run the other way they will often follow. If called mine and jangled the leashes then walk toward the gate here they come.

Of course Rex never wanted anything to do with the dog park period. He'd circle the peremiter, poop and pee then go stand at the double gates waiting to let him out. Except for the water access he HATED the dog park. Buck wasn't crazy about it either. If I could get a lab or border collie to chase a ball in front of him he'd chase that dog, but that was about all. After poop and pee patrol he was done. I've never taken Buddy.

gallery_8149_3261_283.jpg

I agree with greysmom. I wouldn't recommend going to the dog park with a dog you have only had a short time and don't know well yet. Wait until you know her better and she's more bonded to you before you try it, if at all. Especially if the park is very large, you may find it impossible to catch her. I've known of a couple cases where it took hours to catch a new greyhound in a foster home's own backyard.

Personally, I'd just wait until the snow melts, put up your fence, and let her first off-leash experience with you be in your yard. That way you won't have to worry about other people or dogs. And she should be well settled by then, but even if she's difficult to catch, you should be able to coax her back into your familiar house.

Jennifer &

Willow (Wilma Waggle), Wiki (Wiki Hard Ten), Carter (Let's Get It On),

Ollie (whippet), Gracie (whippet x), & Terra (whippet) + Just Saying + Just Alice

gtsig3.jpg

Agree with all the above. Suggestion: If there is a horse stable nearby with an indoor riding arena, you may be able to let Izzy loose in there. Although they are built in many sizes, typically there are 60'x120' and I would feel much more comfortable trying to corral a hound in that small of an area. You need to double-check all door openings and perhaps have someone stand guard at them but if you go at a quiet time you should be fine. In this situation you also wouldn't have to worry about other dogs, as you would if she went to the dog park. Bree (Zombrie) posted pics of her girl Minerva working the cavaletti's in an indoor arena - it is tremendous fun! I hope you can find something similar near you. Good luck with Izzy, we are going to enjoy watching her grow up!

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.

When a new greyhound comes here I do not even walk them in the neighborhood in the first month. Better your new girl have some cabin fever than to have a disasterous first dog park run.

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels: Rita the podenco maneta, Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

As others have said you need to find out about her recall, and probably work on it, BEFORE you let her off somewhere that's going to be full of exciting distractions. Have you been calling her to you in the house? Does she come? Do you reward her when she does?

Once that's working you can try outside, but do it somewhere safely enclosed and empty of other dogs, squirrels etc to start with. If you can recruit a friend to help, a really good exercise for reinforcing a recall is 'greyhound (staghound in your case!) catch'. Both of you should be armed with exciting treats - small cubes of cheese worked for us - you walk 10 yards or so away, your friend lets Izzy off, you call and reward her and make a fuss of her when she comes ('clever girl Izzie!'). Then your friend calls and rewards her, then you, and so on...

Once she's got the idea, then you can start working with distractions. My top tip would be, you don't want to have to call more than once - that just gives her the idea that it's not that important to come. So watch what she's doing and to begin with call when she's looking at you, not while she's engrossed by something else. Once that's working, another good game is 'hide and seek' - hide behind a tree or whatever while she's got her back to you, and then call her.

Clare with Tiger (Snapper Gar, b. 18/05/2015), and remembering Ken (Boomtown Ken, 01/05/2011-21/02/2020) and Doc (Barefoot Doctor, 20/08/2001-15/04/2015).

"It is also to be noted of every species, that the handsomest of each move best ... and beasts of the most elegant form, always excel in speed; of this, the horse and greyhound are beautiful examples."----Wiliam Hogarth, The Analysis of Beauty, 1753.

Totally agree with caution of going to a dog park.

Time will come but not now, start with recall training, walking on a leash, baby steps. I know it is exciting to have your new pupper but as exciting as it is, it can get scary when both owner and pupper are not sure of the rules.

I am a seasoned grey owner and I don't take them to a dog park as I cannot trust the other dogs,

Your pupper would be happy just taking a walk right now, getting to know you and making you a proud mama.

Keep us posted, you get great suggestions and support in this forum.

Don't even think about it!

I don't think ANY dog who has just recently been adopted should be turned loose with other dogs. A dog whose background is essentially unknown in particular.

Think of it this way--the exercise is very good for you!

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

Guest Isabella

Thanks everyone for the advice. You have answered my question ! We will not be doing any dog parks yet. She seems to do fine with dogs of all sizes and even cats, its people that scare her. I live on an acreage so I don't have neighbors to walk by to try and socialize her with people ,but I have taken her to the local farm supply store which lets you bring your pets in. She acts like she wants people to pet her and she seems interested in them but she quickly hides behind me. I have seen NO signs of any kind of aggression. She is even tolerating the cats nicely. I will continue to walk (dang I wish it would warm up out there!) and as long as everyone assures me that it is not totally necessary to get a good run in, we will wait until we do anything off leash! You all are so helpful ! :ghplaybow

Thanks everyone for the advice. You have answered my question ! We will not be doing any dog parks yet. She seems to do fine with dogs of all sizes and even cats, its people that scare her. I live on an acreage so I don't have neighbors to walk by to try and socialize her with people ,but I have taken her to the local farm supply store which lets you bring your pets in. She acts like she wants people to pet her and she seems interested in them but she quickly hides behind me. I have seen NO signs of any kind of aggression. She is even tolerating the cats nicely. I will continue to walk (dang I wish it would warm up out there!) and as long as everyone assures me that it is not totally necessary to get a good run in, we will wait until we do anything off leash! You all are so helpful ! :ghplaybow

:)

Nancy...Mom to Sid (Peteles Tiger), Kibo (112 Carlota Galgos) and Joshi.  Missing Casey, Gomer, Mona, Penelope, BillieJean, Bandit, Nixon (Starz Sammie),  Ruby (Watch Me Dash) Nigel (Nigel), and especially little Mario, waiting at the Bridge.

SKJ-summer.jpg.31e290e1b8b0d604d47a8be586ae7361.jpg

Don't let people on here scare you, you know her somewhat...you make the decisions. Try a small enclosed baseball diamond, or contact a local animal rescue to see if you can use their yard when it's clear.

Greyhound Collars : www.collartown.ca

Maggie (the human servant), with Miss Bella, racing name "A Star Blackieto"

13380965654_dba9a12b29.jpg

Guest TheModernMutt

Don't let people on here scare you, you know her somewhat...you make the decisions. Try a small enclosed baseball diamond, or contact a local animal rescue to see if you can use their yard when it's clear.

Ah! That's a nice, fresh, point of view. Thank you for that.

I think it's pretty crappy that everyone is so quick to yell "NO!" Without having so much as met the dog. Had I followed advice given, I still wouldn't have a dog, and Slayer would probably still be fighting a muzzle and crate. Use your judgment, past dog experience, and current knowledge of your dogs personality to decide what's best for you.

Our dog park has a smaller fenced area for small/medium sized dogs. Perhaps you can use that to test her recall before going to the larger area. Just go at an off time when the park is more likely to be less populated. During working hours, our small dog area is typically empty all the time. You'll never know until you try.

Edited by TheModernMutt

She sounds pretty typical for a staghound. I think you're right to hold off a little while until your bond with her is stronger, and that will definitely come. Strangers may take a lot longer. Also, the advice to keep the height of any fence in mind when you do try offleading her is a good one. Since it's tough to predict right now what might set her off, you don't want to risk her jumping a fence.

In the meantime, what about setting up playdates for indoors with friend's dogs? The socialization with other dogs would certainly help her feel more confident and even play inside can burn off a good deal of energy. Especially if you do what my friend and I do and push the furniture up against the walls so WWF can ensue. :lol

I absolutely adore staghounds and hope to adopt one someday. Izzy is absolutely gorgeous. Have fun with her!

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

Guest zombrie

:nod :nod You know her way better than any of us.

Also, start working on her recall now... whether you decide to let her off leash or not, a good recall is a must for any dog of any breed. Keep broken up pieces of treats in your pocket and call her randomly throughout the day and reward her when she comes to you. She'll learn quickly. It will also help with bonding :)

Edited by zombrie

I think it's pretty crappy that everyone is so quick to yell "NO!" Without having so much as met the dog.

While of course all dogs are individuals, sighthounds have a lot of traits in common. The people offering warnings aren't trying to be "crappy." They're trying to help a new owner adjust to the some of the quirks/special needs of sighthounds and to avoid another horror story. People who've worked with sighthounds for any amount of time have heard a lot of those, and almost all of them could've been easily avoided. The Lexus Project was started because a greyhound killed a dog in a dog park.

I think it's pretty crappy that you'd respond like this to experienced owners who were trying to help.

Valerie w/ Cash (CashforClunkers) & Lucy (Racing School Dropout)
Missing our gorgeous Miss
Diamond (Shorty's Diamond), sweet boy Gabe (Zared) and Holly (ByGollyItsHolly), who never made it home.

Guest KatyC

We are going to try a long line lead and a harness to start with, that way she can have a bit of a run and we can practice recall as well :)

Have you thought about trying that to start with? It seems like a cool interim measure until you can trust them.

Guest TheModernMutt

I think it's pretty crappy that you'd respond like this to experienced owners who were trying to help.

C'est la vie!

Knee jerk reactions to previous horror stories aren't "help".

Edited by TheModernMutt

We are going to try a long line lead and a harness to start with, that way she can have a bit of a run and we can practice recall as well :)

Have you thought about trying that to start with? It seems like a cool interim measure until you can trust them.

Hmmmm. They can get up to full speed in something like 3 strides, which is why no one recommends leashes longer than 6'. If your dog gets running and hits the end of that long line... even though it's a harness and not a collar...

SummerGreytalkSignatureResized-1.jpg

Lisa B.

My beautiful Summer - to her forever home May 1, 2010 Summer

Certified therapy dog team with St. John Ambulance

C'est la vie!

Knee jerk reactions to previous horror stories aren't "help".

Learning from (numerous) past mistakes is.

Edited by vjgrey

Diamond (Shorty's Diamond), sweet boy Gabe (Zared) and Holly (ByGollyItsHolly), who never made it home.

I use a mini-baseball diamond. I made sure the fence is in good repair and the dugout doors close securely. It is very small so easier for me to stay with my greys. They run very hard for about 30 seconds, trot around for a while and then it is nap time!

Guest TheModernMutt

Learning from (numerous) past mistakes is.

If you've made that many, perhaps you're doing it wrong. My dogs have always survived, happily I might add.

It's dogs, not rocket science.

If you've made that many, perhaps you're doing it wrong. My dogs have always survived, happily I might add.

It's dogs, not rocket science.

I'm not referring to my own mistakes. When I was new to sighthounds, I was smart enough to learn from experienced owners.

Yes, they're dogs, but they're dogs that are bred for a certain purpose and with certain traits. There's no need to jump on posters who remind new owners (specifically this new owner, who ASKED for advice) that they need to take those traits into account.

I will put my 2 cents in and vote for either a friend's fenced in back yard or an unused baseball field during off hours--after you've already checked the perimeter carefully for openings in the fence or dugout areas. (Greys have an uncanny knack for finding the 1 small fence opening in a huge fenced in ball field and making a beeline for it.). Isn't that right, Toby?! Luckily he came right back when called.

As someone whose beloved Robin was as high prey of a greyhound as it gets, there is NO WAY I would take a new dog to a dog park without getting to know it better. Believe me when I tell you that Robin could have easily killed a small dog (and would gladly have done so) if given the chance. He killed rabbits on our property that were the size of cats--much bigger than some of these teacup yorkies and chihuahahas that you see at dog parks.

We knew Robin had the prey drive of a serial killer so we never ever took him to a dog park. Without a doubt, there would have been trouble. He would not necessarily have been the one to instigate it, but believe me, if a little frou frou dog started something with him, he'd be only too happy to finish it, if you know what I mean.

Why risk a tragedy? Just go to a ball field where your new dog can have free run and you can have peace of mind.

Rita, mom to Dakota (Dakotas Dream) & Wish (Kiowa Wish Wish) and my angels

Toby (Sol Marcus) and Robin (Greys Robin Hood)

Forever missing our beloved Robin and Toby

"Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened." Anatole France