Desi's Coming Home!

I just talked to OSU, Desi is eating, and THEY ARE RELEASING HIM THIS AFTERNOON!!!!!!

In their words, they aren't doing anything there that I cannot do at home.

He still has clots, is on low dose aspirin.

He still drags that leg, will have to wear a bootie and I must invest in a GOOD harness.

(any suggestions for a good one will be appreciated.....I'm leaning toward the "helpemup"

whole body harness right now.

I'm very afraid......I am alone, and getting him in & out of the suv is going to be problematic,

but we are just going to do what we have to do. He & I will just have to work out together to build strength.

The icky spleen is staying in, because of the risk of surgery........maybe in future it can come out.

He may be a ticking time bomb, that spleen may be cancerous, he may throw more clots, but for now

he's coming home where he belongs!!!!!!

Dr.Couto said that it is entirely possible that he may regain some or all use of that leg, but it will take weeks/months.

NO FEAR!!! NO PAIN, NO GAIN!!!!! NO WHINING!!! MY BIG BOY IS COMING HOME!!!!

Many thanks for all your prayers & good wishes......you'll probably hear a lot more from me with questions on

living with & helping a handicapped hound.

I'll post again this evening & let you all know we made it home safe & sound.

All our love and thanks.......Kathy & Desi

Blessed is the person who has earned the love of an old dog.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:yay :yay

I used this harness for Loca and it's great. It has a handle on top.

siggy_robinw_tbqslg.jpg
Xavi the galgo and Peter the cat. Missing Iker the galgo ?-Feb.9/19, Treasure (USS Treasure) April 12/01-May 6/13, Phoenix (Hallo Top Son) Dec.14/99-June 4/11 and Loca (Reko Swahili) Oct.9/95 - June 1/09, Allen the boss cat, died late November, 2021, age 19.

Guest Scouts_mom

I also have used the Ruffwear harness. It was for my Mindy as she was having trouble using her hind legs and I agree it was wonderful. Unfortunately it couldn't stop the spread of her tumors.

Great news!!!!! Keep getting better, Desi! :clap

Rita, mom to Dakota (Dakotas Dream) & Wish (Kiowa Wish Wish) and my angels

Toby (Sol Marcus) and Robin (Greys Robin Hood)

Forever missing our beloved Robin and Toby

"Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened." Anatole France

Kathy, I met your sweet wonderful boy when he was Jane's foster. I fell in love with him. He's just a wonderful boy.

Anyway, you can make a ramp for him very quickly. No waiting for an order to come in or anything like that. Go to Home Depot or Lowes and buy a 6-8 foot board. (length depends on how high your SUV is. You don't want too steep of a incline or Desi won't do it. )

I found one about 2-3 feet wide. I haven't measured it, but it's very wide. And about 1/2 inch to 3/4 inch thick. It has to be just strong enough for his weight. Nothing more.

Get a nice 'bubbly' type of carpet remnant. Something that is not smooth. Maybe even shag. Enough to fit the entire width and length and a little hangover on length. Staple carpet to board. There, You have a ramp. It's not very portable, I just keep mine in my garage. If' I'm elsewhere like the vets, they help me if I need it..

If you do need it portable, at the same hardware store, get two hinges, and a handle and hook. Cut board in half (hardware store will usually do for free), put hinges on one side, carpet on the other, Cut carpet where it will fold (over hinges). Put handle on one edge and hook so that when you pick it up, it doesn't fly open. Hook keeps ramp closed when folded.

It took me all of 1/2 hr to make mine. All 10 of my girls have used this ramp over the past 17 yrs.

So happy he'll be home!

If I can do it alone, you can do it alone. When it comes to our babies, we find the strength :nod

Kristin in Moline, IL USA with Ozzie (MRL Crusin Clem), Clarice (Clarice McBones), Latte and Sage the IGs, and the kitties: Violet and Rose
Lovingly Remembered: Sutra (Fliowa Sutra) 12/02/97-10/12/10, Pinky (Pick Me) 04/20/03-11/19/12, Fritz (Fritz Fire) 02/05/01 - 05/20/13, Ace (Fantastic Ace) 02/05/01 - 07/05/13, and Carrie (Takin the Crumbs) 05/08/99 - 09/04/13.

A cure for cancer can't come soon enough.--

What a fantastic update! I know you and Desi will both be happier and calmer once he's home.

Valerie w/ Cash (CashforClunkers) & Lucy (Racing School Dropout)
Missing our gorgeous Miss
Diamond (Shorty's Diamond), sweet boy Gabe (Zared) and Holly (ByGollyItsHolly), who never made it home.

glad he's coming home!!!!

I'm sure the 2 of you will work all the issues out! Sending hugs and prayers! :hope

Kim and Bruce - with Rick (Rick Roufus 6/30/16) and missing my sweet greyhound Angels Rainey (LG's Rainey 10/4/2000 - 3/8/2011), Anubis (RJ's Saint Nick 12/25/2001 - 9/12/12) and Zeke (Hey Who Whiz It 4/6/2009 - 7/20/2020) and Larry (PTL Laroach 2/24/2007 - 8/2/2020) -- and Chester (Lab) (8/31/1990 - 5/3/2005), Captain (Schipperke) (10/12/1992 - 6/13/2005) and Remy (GSP) (?/?/1998 - 1/6/2005) at the bridge
"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut." -- Ernest Hemmingway

My heart goes out to you. My dogs do better getting into our van from the side door instea of the back hatch. Is that possiible for you? I don't think it is as high a jump. All the best for Desi.

Irene Ullmann w/Flying Odin and Mama Mia in Lower Delaware
Angels Brandy, John E, American Idol, Paul, Fuzzy and Shine
Handcrafted Greyhound and Custom Clocks http://www.houndtime.com
Zoom Doggies-Racing Coats for Racing Greyhounds

Great news! Have a safe trip. Any chance you can trade the SUV for something with lower openings? (We have the same problem at our house and can only transport one of our dogs in the sedan, because he can at least get into it on his own steam.)

Mary with Jumper Jack (2/17/11) and angels Shane (PA's Busta Rime, 12/10/02 - 10/14/16) and Spencer (Dutch Laser, 11/25/00 - 3/29/13).

:yay :yay

I used this harness for Loca and it's great. It has a handle on top.

Me three for the Ruffwear harness.

Hoping you have an easy trip home (including loading and unloading). If he's a cooperative sort, you should be able to lift half the dog at a time (harder getting him out than in if it's a rear leg).

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest BlueCrab

I'd been reading the other post and had missed this one - thank goodness he's coming home! Good luck with him. I have the brochure for the "Help Em Up" harness right here...www.helpemup.com.

Very happy Desi is coming home!!! Ruffwear harness are great.

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Gus an coinnich sinn a'rithist my boys and little girl.