Spent New Years Day At The E-Vet! Update #115 :(

I am sorry to read of Cody's diagnosis. Cancer sucks in every which way. I do know that Lymphoma can be treated for a while and I hope that is true for Cody. We'll keep you both in our thoughts.

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Gus an coinnich sinn a'rithist my boys and little girl.

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When our grey/shepherd mix had advanced cancer, we had good luck with mirtazapine stimulating her appetite and helping her feel well enough to eat. Might be worth asking about.

Mirtazapine helped keep my Cruz eating while he battled kidney failure. Jay, I'm so sorry it wasn't better news. :grouphug

Cynthia, & Cristiano, galgo
Always in my heart: Frostman
Newdawn Frost, Keno Jet Action & Chloe (NGA racing name unknown), Irys (galgo), Hannah (weim), Cruz (galgo), & Carly CW Your Charming

Princess http://www.greyhound-data.com/d?i=1018857

"It came to me that every time I lose a dog they take a piece of my heart with them. And every new dog who comes into my life, gifts me with a piece of their heart. If I live long enough, all the components of my heart will be dog, and I will become as generous and loving as they are." -- Unknown

Not sure if you'd be interested but I found a paper online written by Dr. Couto outlining the different chemo protocols for lymphoma. I know you will be working with an oncologist, I like having some understanding though of the different options. The paper is in a pdf document which I don't know how to link with my phone, but if you google "Lymphoma in dogs, cop, chop" it will come up. Another good paper Managing Dogs with Lymphoma in Private Practice by Kenneth M. Rassnick, DVM, DACVIM, Assistant Professor of Oncology from Cornell University College of Veterinary Medicine will also come up.

Also, have they determined if it is B-cell or T- cell lymphoma? Normally a biopsy has to be done, but I've read of new testing whereby a slide prepared from a FNA can now be used to determine the different types.

I'm just seeing this now, I'm so sorry you and Cody are going through this. Sounds like you have a good team working with you. Sending prayers and hugs.

Casual Bling & Hope for Hounds
Summer-3bjpg.jpg
Janet & the hounds Maggie and Allen Missing my baby girl Peanut, old soul Jake, quirky Jet, Mama Grandy and my old Diva Miz Foxy; my angel, my inspiration. You all brought so much into my light, and taught me so much about the power of love, you are with me always.
If you get the chance to sit it out or dance.......... I hope you dance! Missing our littlest girl.

Not sure if you'd be interested but I found a paper online written by Dr. Couto outlining the different chemo protocols for lymphoma. I know you will be working with an oncologist, I like having some understanding though of the different options. The paper is in a pdf document which I don't know how to link with my phone, but if you google "Lymphoma in dogs, cop, chop" it will come up. Another good paper Managing Dogs with Lymphoma in Private Practice by Kenneth M. Rassnick, DVM, DACVIM, Assistant Professor of Oncology from Cornell University College of Veterinary Medicine will also come up.

Also, have they determined if it is B-cell or T- cell lymphoma? Normally a biopsy has to be done, but I've read of new testing whereby a slide prepared from a FNA can now be used to determine the different types.

Thanks, I'll look up the article. I don't know if they determined it from the aspirate that was sent in.

Jay, I am just seeing this. So sorry about dx for Cody. Please give him a hug and kiss from maddie and I. Maddie says when she does not want to eat that Mommy goes to McD's and gets her chicken nuggets or ice cream from the store. with her dog cookies crushed and spinkled on it.

Pls let ms know if you need anything. Hugs to you and Cody.

Amy Human Mommy to fur baby Maddie (Doobiesaurus) TDI certified. May 5, 2002-September 12, 2014 and Mille (Mac's Bayou Baby)CGC, TDI certified.

http://i270.photobucket.com/albums/jj93/Chillyhorse/siggies/maddie.jpg"]http://i270. photobucket.com/albums/jj93/Chillyhorse/siggies/maddie.jpg[/img]

I just don't think any miracles are going to happen.

There's the philosophy of "prepare for the worst but hope for the best." We're uncrossing our paws here and donning boxing gloves to help smack this thing.

Sending cyberhugs.

siggy_z1ybzn.jpg

Ellen, with brindle Milo and the blonde ballerina, Gelsey

remembering Eve, Baz, Scout, Romie, Nutmeg, and Jeter

I'm so sorry to hear about Cody's diagnosis!

My friend's grey had the same diagnosis (on the day she picked Grace up to bring her home) ... that was more than a year ago. Her oncologist worked with Dr. Cuoto, and Grace is doing GREYT these days.

I'll point out this thread to my friend ... she may have some ideas for you to help Cody.

Gentle hugs to you both!!!

Jay....I am so sorry for you unfortunate DX....I went through lymphoma with Rascal. We did chemo and were able to have another 15 months together. He did really well with the chemo...only seemed worn out for a day. His primarily showed in his spleen.

As far as eating...I feel for you...that is so frustrating. My Cody is just old now and pretty picky...canned chicken is one thing he usually caves in on...it is kind of smelly and he loves bread.

Good Luck on a treatment...

gallery_4518_2903_10272.jpg
Donna and...Lucy and Chubb
Rascal H 10/1/91-5/22/04 My best friend and Bounty Boon 1/23/99-6/25/07 My boy with the biggest heart
Cody 7/28/99-8/1/13 My boy that always made me laugh and Dylan 5/12/04-12/29/2017 The sweetest boy ever

Miss Mollie 1/1/99-1/30/15 and Pixie :heart:heart-10/10/2017 Lincoln :heart-2/14/2021

Cody is gone. :cry1

We woke up as normal this morning (I even picked him up to put in the bed with me last night since he hasn't been able to jump in himself in a week) to him licking my face and hands. We went for our usual walk and I was able to get a few slices of roast beef in him. I called my vet at 9am to talk about the ultrasound and next steps for tomorrow, he was resting quietly at the time.

Within an hour he crashed and fast. All of a sudden he was no longer to get up, peed himself a bit, had pale gums and was panting on and off. You could see it in his eyes that he was done. Thankfully my good friend CJ rushed over to help me with him. After comforting him as best as possible, I called the vet back and brought him right in. Whatever he had was very agressive and with him not eating and now not standing or walking treatment wasn't even an option and there was no way I could put my buddy though any heroic efforts only to have him suffer more so I helped him cross the bridge.

I'll write a nice remembrance later but to say I'm totally crushed and devastated would be the understatement of the year.

I am so very sorry. Totally inadequate, but I understand the pain and shock of having one crash so quickly.

gallery_16605_3214_8259.jpg

Cindy with Miss Fancypants, Paris Bueller, Zeke, and Angus 
Dante (Dg's Boyd), Zoe (In a While), Brady (Devilish Effect), Goose (BG Shotgun), Maverick (BG ShoMe), Maggie (All Trades Jax), Sherman (LNB Herman Bad) and Indy (BYB whippet) forever in my heart
The flame that burns the brightest, burns the fastest and leaves the biggest shadow

Jay - I'm so very sorry. How brave sweet Cody was to battle the beast and how brave you were to be able to let him go. GodSpeed handsome Cody.

http://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g240/mtbucket/siggies/Everyday-2.jpgJane - forever servant to the whims and wishes of Maggie (L's Magnolia of JCKC) and Sam the mutt pup.[/b]

She's classy, sassy and a bit smart assy.

My heart breaks for you. I'm so sorry. :weep

Mary, mom to kitty Rebel.
Always missing Sherri (SO DELICIOUS) (12/6/2005-8/29/2018) kitties Marley (4/2000-12/3/2015) and Beady (4/1998-2/24/2006) and Dalmatian Daisy (7/25/1984-5/13/1999).

The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work

and give to those who would not - Thomas Jefferson

Oh No. I am so sorry Jay. Hugs to you from Maddie & I.

Amy Human Mommy to fur baby Maddie (Doobiesaurus) TDI certified. May 5, 2002-September 12, 2014 and Mille (Mac's Bayou Baby)CGC, TDI certified.

http://i270.photobucket.com/albums/jj93/Chillyhorse/siggies/maddie.jpg"]http://i270. photobucket.com/albums/jj93/Chillyhorse/siggies/maddie.jpg[/img]

Jay, I can't express how sorry I am.

Godspeed, gallant boy.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.