Osteo Thread Part Vi

I'm so sorry Jean. Hugs to you and your DH, and also to Kristin today.

Godspeed, Gunner.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

• Replies 969
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Jean, I'm so sorry Gunner's gone. And Kristin's Fritz.

Allie and Stacker, two senior greyhounds gone from a friend's life in less than a month.

Too much sadness today.

15060353021_97558ce7da.jpg
Kathy and Q (CRT Qadeer from Fuzzy's Cannon and CRT Bonnie) and
Jane (WW's Aunt Jane from Trent Lee and Aunt M); photos to come.

Missing Silver (5.19.2005-10.27.2016), Tigger (4.5.2007-3.18.2016),
darling Sam (5.10.2000-8.8.2013), Jacey-Kasey (5.19.2003-8.22.2011), and Oreo (1997-3.30.2006)

Kristin and Jean - I am so sorry for each of your losses.

It seems like every time I'm off GT for a few days I come back to such sadness.

Thinking of Fritz and Gunner now running pain-free at the bridge....

Wendy with Twiggy, fosterless while Twiggy's fighting the good fight, and Donnie & Aiden the kitties

I am so sorry for the loss of Gunner and Fritz., I was here a lot in November/December when we were going through our short rib cancer journey with Opie. Its very painful for me to come here, but I check back in, because I know how helpful it was for me to read everyone's advice, support, and then sadly condolences. So Kristin, and Jean, you have my heartfelt sympathies at this horrible horrible time, and know your babies are now pain free and running with our Opie, and all the other hounds lost to the horrible Big C. :weep

Mom to Toley (Astascocita Toley) DOB 1/12/09, and Bridge Angel Opie (Wine Sips Away) 3/14/03-12/29/12

Guest FawnFan

Thank you everyone for your kind words, good thoughts and wishes for God to speed G (and Fritz) to the other side. It is comforting to know there are a bunch of people on here that understand and care. Thanks again and I'm praying for those of you still in this (awful) club who are still going through everything.

~ Jean

sending both Kristin and Jean many, many hugs :grouphug I am so very sorry :(

Kim and Bruce - with Rick (Rick Roufus 6/30/16) and missing my sweet greyhound Angels Rainey (LG's Rainey 10/4/2000 - 3/8/2011), Anubis (RJ's Saint Nick 12/25/2001 - 9/12/12) and Zeke (Hey Who Whiz It 4/6/2009 - 7/20/2020) and Larry (PTL Laroach 2/24/2007 - 8/2/2020) -- and Chester (Lab) (8/31/1990 - 5/3/2005), Captain (Schipperke) (10/12/1992 - 6/13/2005) and Remy (GSP) (?/?/1998 - 1/6/2005) at the bridge
"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut." -- Ernest Hemmingway

Guest yat420

I'm so sorry for the loss of your sweet babies. :( It reminds me that my time with Buddy is precious. I hate this disease!

Thank you all. This is so hard, but, it would be 800x harder and more lonely without your support.

Got the call that Fritz's ashes are ready to be picked up today...I haven't ordered his urn yet. I refuse to bring him home in a cardboard container so I'll order his urn tomorrow and pick up his ashes after they've put them in their proper place. *sigh*

Kristin in Moline, IL USA with Ozzie (MRL Crusin Clem), Clarice (Clarice McBones), Latte and Sage the IGs, and the kitties: Violet and Rose
Lovingly Remembered: Sutra (Fliowa Sutra) 12/02/97-10/12/10, Pinky (Pick Me) 04/20/03-11/19/12, Fritz (Fritz Fire) 02/05/01 - 05/20/13, Ace (Fantastic Ace) 02/05/01 - 07/05/13, and Carrie (Takin the Crumbs) 05/08/99 - 09/04/13.

A cure for cancer can't come soon enough.--

Fritz slipped away to the Rainbow Bridge just after 6pm tonight :cry1 He went quietly and peacefully.

I lost Sutra in 2010 and I STILL haven't been able to write a remembrance post for him, and haven't been able to do it for Pinky either, but, I think in the coming days I will sit down and write one for each of my babies lost to osteo. My little family has shrunk too much to not acknowledge the huge pieces of it that are now missing.

Just seeing this. I'm so sorry this horrible disease took Fritz, too. It's always unfair, but you've had so much more than your share of unfairness.

I'm going to go kiss my babies now.

Hi Everyone - Gunner earned his wings this evening and passed peacefully around 5:10 here at home. It has been a sad day today - really a sad nine weeks. I thought I had cried everything out yet doesn't seem to be the case. It was sad to see my husband carry him out to the Vet's car knowing he would never ever be coming back to me, bouncing in and all excited only as Gunney could. Sad. Just sad right now.

Thank you everyone who was thinking of us today. I really appreciate all of the support here. You all are amazing! Really just simply amazing with your kindness, acceptance and freely offering help and guidance. I'm thankful and grateful you were all here to help me through this. Thank you just doesn't seem to be enough. And I pray they find a cure or an amazing treatment or something that helps to seriously disable this disease in these sweet creature's bodies and I hope they find it soon. I don't want anyone else to go through this process.

And Kristin, I'm really sorry about Fritz leaving too. This cancer just sucks!

:weep

I'm so sorry.

Valerie w/ Cash (CashforClunkers) & Lucy (Racing School Dropout)
Missing our gorgeous Miss
Diamond (Shorty's Diamond), sweet boy Gabe (Zared) and Holly (ByGollyItsHolly), who never made it home.

Guest taylorsmom

Hello to all on this thread, as much as we all don't want to be, here we are. I had hoped and prayed that I would never have to post to this particular thread. It has been several years since I have been a regular on GT, just living life with my two greyhounds Taylor and Rita, my Lab Lucy and my Italian Greyhound Buster, one big happy family in many ways. I have posted my worries and my joys here, and have received much support, suggestions and just plain old love. I hope I have given some in return.

So it is with a heavy heart that I am posting that my Rita was diagnosed with osteo a week ago yesterday, May 20th (on my 18th wedding anniversary). I still cannot believe it, and have been in massive denial. Two weeks before she started limping ever so slightly, but was her usual bouncy crazy self--she just turned 9 this past April, but is full of energy and life. I paused with my heart in my throat, of course, as so many of us greyhound owners do when we see a limp that lasts for more than a day. But my Lab is limping like crazy because of arthritis and a torn cruciate ligament, so I thought maybe it is just arthritis/stiffness creeping up on Rita.

Then the golf-ball sized lump appeared on the upper edge of her left scapula (shoulder blade). So suddenly--one day nothing, the next day--pow! And I knew, in my heart, it had to be osteo. It was hard, immovable, and felt like part of the bone.

Went to a veterinary oncologist who is excellent, and Rita will be having her second radiation treatment tomorrow. She also got her first IV drip of pamidronate last week. She gets an anti-inflammatory (piroxicam) with pepcid every day, but does not seem to be in any pain. And the tumor appears to have shrunk some. I am not researching or asking anything about prognosis, I know we are just buying time. The vet does not think she is a candidate for amputation or even resection of the scapula because of where the tumor is located. I am going to get a second opinion at University of Pennsylvania vet hospital (I leave in a western suburb of Philly) but I have to admit I am glad to not have to put Rita through amputation. The oncologist thinks we can get some decent amount of time and good quality of life with four weeks of the current tx and then maybe a round of chemo. Her lungs are currently clear.

I still feel completely frozen inside and am just "handling" all the medical details. Rita is eating and playing and looks and acts completely normal (well, except for the blue grid painted on her shoulder blade--targetting for the radiation--makes her look like a failed science experiment!!) and this completely feeds into my denial that we are dealing with a disease that is definitely going to take her away from me. I have barely cried, I feel so completely numb and in shock--that feels so weird, because I am usually a complete crier.

Rita came to me as a foster almost seven years ago, during the final months of my Mother's battle with lung cancer. She gave me the heart to go through that loss, with her incredible cheerfulness and zest for life. She was only two years old and full of spunk, and made me laugh during a time when I thought I would never stop crying. Now I am so incredibly angry that I am going to lose her to the same crappy disease that I lost my Mom to. To say that I hate cancer would be an understatement.

Thank you so much, everyone, for listening to my story and for being here. I will check in and keep you all posted. And my heart and prayers go out to each and every one of you here, who have either lost a loved greyhound or are in the same process of battling this disease with me. I am too heartsick right now, but I will try to post some pictures in the next few days.

Nancy, with Rita (Valid Right turn), Taylor (Ottawa Olive), Lucy the Lab, and Buster the crazy IG

Edited by taylorsmom

Nancy, I am SO sorry to hear that you & Rita have had to embark on this battle.

It sounds like you have found an oncologist who is willing to pursue a thorough palliative care regimen, which is great.

The most important thing (as has been discussed here in great detail) is to stay ahead of the pain. It sounds like it isn't necessary yet, but keep in mind that tramadol and especially gabapentin will be very useful tools in pain management.

FWIW, "normal" amputation for osteo in a foreleg includes the entire scapula - I'm just throwing that out there,I don't know whether that will have any weight in UP's assessment for Rita.

Wendy with Twiggy, fosterless while Twiggy's fighting the good fight, and Donnie & Aiden the kitties

Nancy, it makes perfect sense for you to be in denial. And to be angry. The angry might get you through things. And the denial is good since Rita herself isn't aware of what's going on.

Come to us if you need info about pain meds. Having an oncologist--rather than just your regular vet--is helpful. Vets often worry about the side effects of long-term drug use. Most oncologists are better about saying "screw the side effects" in the interest of making the dog feel better. Your only job for a while is to make Rita happy and comfortable. Make good memories and take lots of pictures. Some photos can show her blue grid, but get other photos that are close-ups of her face--looking happy, looking thoughtful, looking like her normal crazy self.

You're Rita's advocate. Don't hesitate to tell your oncologist if you think she needs better meds or more meds to keep her comfortable. Meds these days are pretty good, and it's usually possible to keep a dog comfortable without tipping over into making her a drugged zombie. Make yourself a pest with the oncologist if you need to: Rita can't do it herself, and some of us on here have been surprised at how tentative some vets have been when dealing with a dog's pain.

But now I'm going to say something awful--just to get it out and then I'll never say it again. For Rita's sake, please think out an emergency plan in case she collapses or there's a catastophic bone break. Who will you call if something happens outside your vet's hours? Can you get her home if something happens while you're on a walk? Can you lift her? Will she let you lift her if she's in pain?

Once you work out the details in your head--forget the whole thing. You'll recall it without panic if you need the plan, but you can relax a bit where Rita's concerned because you'll know you've done all the planning you can to take care of your girl in an emergency. But if you don't take time to work out the bad bits, you'll feel even worse than I did when my first girl broke her leg and I had to get her, screaming, into my car and to the e-vet. I felt awful (cried the whole way to the ER), but at least her break was a complete surprise. (No cancer on her x-rays, but she threw a blood clot in surgery and died--and I didn't get to say goodbye. Our last time together was that nightmare car ride.) If Rita's leg breaks and you haven't made emergency plans, you'll have a hard time forgiving yourself.

I'm so sorry Rita has joined the osteo club.

P.S. Google "in-home pet euthanasia" and put in your zip code. If there's a vet listed who can make housecalls in your area, put that number in your phone's contact list and then forget about it. Re-erect that denial of yours, and you and Rita stay safely behind it for as long as you can.

darling Sam (5.10.2000-8.8.2013), Jacey-Kasey (5.19.2003-8.22.2011), and Oreo (1997-3.30.2006)

Guest taylorsmom

Thank you Twiggy and KF in Georgia--I cannot thank you enough for the support and information. Really, really good advice about the emergency planning too, I can do that. That makes so much sense. I have also talked to the oncologist about the tramadol and gabapentin and she is on board with it when we need it.

I've been taking a lot of pictures and some videos, including one of Rita singing with her little brother Buster the IG (so cute).

I am so grateful for this place here while I go through this. Many people know and are supportive, but there is nothing like talking to other people who love greyhounds and have been down this terrible path.

I even cried some after I posted last night, thank goodness.

Nancy, I am very sorry to read of Rita's diagnosis. It sounds like you have a plan and have already executed on it which is good! I hope the protocol works well for her and that you do have a lot of time with her. The best thing is to enjoy every single moment, leave nothing for granted and try to smile whenever you see her. We are all here for you and Rita and will be cheering you on as you travel done this path. Please give your girl a hug from me.

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Gus an coinnich sinn a'rithist my boys and little girl.

I don't have any advice to add, the posts above were (as always) very thorough. I just wanted to add my good thoughts for a huge amount of good time ahead yet for you and Rita :grouphug

Kristin in Moline, IL USA with Ozzie (MRL Crusin Clem), Clarice (Clarice McBones), Latte and Sage the IGs, and the kitties: Violet and Rose
Lovingly Remembered: Sutra (Fliowa Sutra) 12/02/97-10/12/10, Pinky (Pick Me) 04/20/03-11/19/12, Fritz (Fritz Fire) 02/05/01 - 05/20/13, Ace (Fantastic Ace) 02/05/01 - 07/05/13, and Carrie (Takin the Crumbs) 05/08/99 - 09/04/13.

A cure for cancer can't come soon enough.--

Guest taylorsmom

Thank you Kyle and Kristin. Kristin, I am so sorry about the passing of your Fritz, on the very day that my Rita was diagnosed.

You are so right, a cure for osteo can't come soon enough.

Okay--next question for this group. I know this is going to sound ridiculous, but I am struggling with regards to getting this second opinion at U Penn. I reallly like and respect the oncologist we are seeing--she has been working with cancer for a very long time, does all kinds of research and has an excellent reputation. Obviously, I have to ask her officce for the xrays to bring to Penn--anyone have any good suggestions on how to do this without alienating my oncologist???? Ridiculous I know. Appreciate any and all suggestions!

Any competent professional will not balk at someone wanting to gather more information about something as serious as cancer. As someone stated above, you are now Rita's advocate, and you have the right to seek information from whoever and wherever you need to. Most vets will readily admit they don't know everything, so don't feel bad or guilty about doing what you feel you need to do.

You might also ask if your vet can send digital copies of her xrays to the Greyhound Health and Wellness Program at Ohio State (see post 1 for info). They are experts at dealing with both greyhounds and cancer, and can give you some great guidelines and expectations.

If you feel Rita is a candidate for amputation from an emotional popint of view, don't discount it just because of where the tumor is located. Most front leg amps include the whole shoulder blade, as well. She's not in any noticeable pain now, but osteo becomes excruciating before the end, and amputation can help greatly with that aspect. Were xrays taken of her lungs at the time of diagnosis to rule out lung mets?

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

Thank you Twiggy and KF in Georgia--I cannot thank you enough for the support and information. Really, really good advice about the emergency planning too, I can do that. That makes so much sense. I have also talked to the oncologist about the tramadol and gabapentin and she is on board with it when we need it.

I've been taking a lot of pictures and some videos, including one of Rita singing with her little brother Buster the IG (so cute).

I am so grateful for this place here while I go through this. Many people know and are supportive, but there is nothing like talking to other people who love greyhounds and have been down this terrible path.

I even cried some after I posted last night, thank goodness.

I'm very sorry for Rita's diagnosis. :( It sounds like you, with the help of your oncologist are really on top of things, which is great. The only suggestion I can add is to get the Tramadol and Gabapentin now so you have them on hand if needed. Often pain increases suddenly/unexpectedly and of course it always happens on the weekend or in the middle of the night when you can't get to the vet. :rolleyes: It's really important to stay ahead of the pain when dealing with osteo so I would have good supplies of all 3 medications on hand and also have instructions from the vet about how to increase/add meds if pain starts when you can't reach her. Typically you'd add in Tramadol at 50 mg 3x/day or Gabapentin at 100 mg 3x/day and then go up from there as needed. Max doses are pretty high for both (for Rita, probably around 125-150 mg Tramadol 3x/day and 500 mg Gabapentin 3x/day although at doses of 400-500 at a time you may see wooziness).

Hopefully you won't need that information for a very long time, but it's much better to be prepared. I learned the hard way although thankfully I had my oncologist's cell phone number so that helped, but there were still a couple of times when it would have been better if I had instructions on what to do ahead of time.

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

And, adding to what Jen said, you want Gabapentin prescribed in 100mg capsules rather than 300mg tablets. Trying to split those 300mg things = no fun. The 100mg capsules give you lots of flexibility in dosing--starting small, increasing gradually, supplementing just a bit on a rainy day. Gabapentin also can take 48 hours or so to get up to full speed.

Tramadol and gabapentin are both available at people-pharmacies like Walgreen's, Costco, and Walmart and are not exceptionally expensive. I use Walgreen's, which has a drive-thru window at its closest location and a 24-hour location nearby. (I keep pills on hand, but what if I drop a bunch down the sink at 3am Sunday morning?)

Guest taylorsmom

Any competent professional will not balk at someone wanting to gather more information about something as serious as cancer. As someone stated above, you are now Rita's advocate, and you have the right to seek information from whoever and wherever you need to. Most vets will readily admit they don't know everything, so don't feel bad or guilty about doing what you feel you need to do.

You might also ask if your vet can send digital copies of her xrays to the Greyhound Health and Wellness Program at Ohio State (see post 1 for info). They are experts at dealing with both greyhounds and cancer, and can give you some great guidelines and expectations.

If you feel Rita is a candidate for amputation from an emotional popint of view, don't discount it just because of where the tumor is located. Most front leg amps include the whole shoulder blade, as well. She's not in any noticeable pain now, but osteo becomes excruciating before the end, and amputation can help greatly with that aspect. Were xrays taken of her lungs at the time of diagnosis to rule out lung mets?

Thank you so much for this! Yes, xrays have ruled out lung mets thus far.

I will call the oncologist this afternoon and get the drugs rx'd. Preparation for all this is so important. The last thing I want any of us dealing with is horrible pain in the middle of the night, least of all my Rita girl. ;-(

Guest FawnFan

Nancy, I'm so very sorry Rita has joined this awful club. Like the others, I wish you lots of special times ahead.

I also second the person above who suggested getting both the 100 and 300 mgs of Gabapentin - much easier to give. And I also suggest buying these drugs at a Pharmacy rather than from your Vet. After someone posted how much they paid for Tramadol from Costco, I wanted to scream because I had just paid two to three times as much at the Vet's office. It was too late for me to change though as I didn't need any further meds at that point.

I will also say everyone in this thread have been some of the most supportive, wonderful and caring individuals. I will be forever grateful for the advice, support and love I received from everyone here as I battled this awful disease with Gunner recently. Everyone here helped me through my panic times, my low times, my indecisive times, my I'm feeling guilty times as well as the good times. So don't hesitate to post if you have any questions or need support or need anything. We're all here to help you through this.

Sending good thoughts and keeping you both in my thoughts and prayers,

Jean

Nancy and Rita -- so sorry you've posted on the dreaded osteo thread --you're an instant friend here and will get great help thru the days ahead. Sounds like you're on top of things, just want you to know when you feel you're on the bottom you'll find support here. Thoughts and prayers. Teri