Osteo Thread Part Vi

That is great news! Very happy both Casper and Katie came through surgery well. Good healing thoughts coming their way.

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Gus an coinnich sinn a'rithist my boys and little girl.

• Replies 969
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest fastcasper

Casper had a rough night last night but they said that is to be expected. He had a spike in his temp. and they gave him cold towels to bring it down and upped his fluids. He is doing better today, is eating a little (especially pill pockets they are giving him) and he is more alert. They have switched him to oral pain meds which is also a good sign. He is standing but still is not walking. They are not too concerned because he was weight bearing before the surgery so it may take him a little longer to get the hang of things. Plus the floor may be a little slick for him. He MAY come home this afternoon. Sounds like he is not quite where Katie is but not far behind. SOOOOO happy for both of them!!

Guest FawnFan

So happy to hear both Katie and Casper had great surgeries and are on the mend now. Been thinking of you and the hounds. Wishing each hound speedy recoveries and lots of happy days ahead for each family.

Guest Jchallis87

yay casper and katie!!!! :) im glad they are doing well. blitz is one week post surgery and shes super ambitious. she doesnt want our help anymore but were keeping at her to slow down and take it easy. shes getting up on her own, peeing on her own and laying down on her own. she even jumped into the car today (scared the hell outta me!) but she seems to think that she doent need me anymore ( it like when your kid lets go of your hand) her shunt came out today and shes doing great were having a hard time keeping up with her holding her belly band were switching to the leash and having the belly band on hand just in case now :) my independent little monkey. Keep us posted on casper and katie! progress gets better every day and were all getting happier and happier as time goes on. best of luck!!

They are always ready to get back to a normal activity level a lot sooner than we are ;) And I love to hear the stories!

Pinky jumped up onto the couch to lay down just a couple of days after her amp. Scared the bejezus out of me! But she was always a couch dog before AND she was determined to get back to "her" couch.

Kristin in Moline, IL USA with Ozzie (MRL Crusin Clem), Clarice (Clarice McBones), Latte and Sage the IGs, and the kitties: Violet and Rose
Lovingly Remembered: Sutra (Fliowa Sutra) 12/02/97-10/12/10, Pinky (Pick Me) 04/20/03-11/19/12, Fritz (Fritz Fire) 02/05/01 - 05/20/13, Ace (Fantastic Ace) 02/05/01 - 07/05/13, and Carrie (Takin the Crumbs) 05/08/99 - 09/04/13.

A cure for cancer can't come soon enough.--

The first thing Dude did when he got home from the hospital was to "escape" from his Dad (who was holding his harness :rolleyes: ), run around the yard and have a big poop! Then he RAN the whole length of the yard to get up on the deck to go inside. Five days after surgery. :eek We had to baby gate the stairs to our bedroom, otherwise he would have tried them that day, too!

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

Huh. Katie decided to get up off her mattress without any assistance. Then, while we're standing outside on the front lawn, she laid down twice and got up once without help.

Right now she's dozing.

Huh. Katie decided to get up off her mattress without any assistance. Then, while we're standing outside on the front lawn, she laid down twice and got up once without help.

Right now she's dozing.

Steve, owner/photographer Crackerdog Photography, writer of ShutterHounds. Follow me on Instagram.
Alex (Sanja Black Eyes [1989-2003] - Sanja Superfrank x TH's Fandango), Nikki (Ein's Ardonis [1995-2008] - Farmer Wilson x Legs Polly),
Sadie (Carla Tar [2002-2014] - Coldwater Guv x Canatar), Katie (Leading Home [2003-2013] - Iruska Excalibur x Impress Me Much),

Bean ([2013-] - DJays Octane x O Ya Cranberry), and Billy Bob (O Ya Billy Bob [2011-2020] Dodgem By Design x O Ya Cranberry)
gallery_14296_2881_11695.jpg

I'm so glad to hear how well all our recent amp patients are doing!!!

Blitz, Casper and Katie - you are all champions!

Hopefully hounds and humans are all starting to get some good rest by now!

Wendy with Twiggy, fosterless while Twiggy's fighting the good fight, and Donnie & Aiden the kitties

Hoping that everyone's day has gone well. Going to bed a bit late tonight...hope no one recovering from surgery has been bothered by fireworks...

Kristin in Moline, IL USA with Ozzie (MRL Crusin Clem), Clarice (Clarice McBones), Latte and Sage the IGs, and the kitties: Violet and Rose
Lovingly Remembered: Sutra (Fliowa Sutra) 12/02/97-10/12/10, Pinky (Pick Me) 04/20/03-11/19/12, Fritz (Fritz Fire) 02/05/01 - 05/20/13, Ace (Fantastic Ace) 02/05/01 - 07/05/13, and Carrie (Takin the Crumbs) 05/08/99 - 09/04/13.

we took katie in to our vets yesterday evening for reassurance that the amount of bruising we're seeing is typical. after being examined katie tried to quickly walk out to the check-out area.

she's starting to show interest in the baby food we've been giving her by eating it on her own, and not relying on us to force-feed her.

Steve, owner/photographer Crackerdog Photography, writer of ShutterHounds. Follow me on Instagram.
Alex (Sanja Black Eyes [1989-2003] - Sanja Superfrank x TH's Fandango), Nikki (Ein's Ardonis [1995-2008] - Farmer Wilson x Legs Polly),
Sadie (Carla Tar [2002-2014] - Coldwater Guv x Canatar), Katie (Leading Home [2003-2013] - Iruska Excalibur x Impress Me Much),

Bean ([2013-] - DJays Octane x O Ya Cranberry), and Billy Bob (O Ya Billy Bob [2011-2020] Dodgem By Design x O Ya Cranberry)

At this point, don't be surprised to see the bruising get worse, not better. It seems that it takes over a week for the bruising to stop progressing.

There will probably be some edema for over about a week and a half as well, although the edema should be improving over that time.

I'm glad to hear that she is showing so much interest in eating and doing things!

Wendy with Twiggy, fosterless while Twiggy's fighting the good fight, and Donnie & Aiden the kitties

It probably looks a lot scarier than it would on say, a brindle dog too, since she's white.

Pinky was kept bandaged after her amp but she did have some bruising creep up her belly area, even on the Amicar. I put cool washcloths on the areas as they were warm and she seemed to get some comfort from that :)

So glad that she's so determined, Steve :) She's going to be juuuuuust fine :)

Guest fastcasper

Hi Everyone,

Update on Casper. He is showing some progression each day. Today will be his third full day at home. and he is getting around his beds pretty unassisted . His bruising is better as it is heading more south (to the penis area). He has mild edema in his three paws but that also is starting to get better with his increased activity. I did hot compresses and massage to help with that. He isn't bothered by his bruising and I've been good putting cold compress on his suture site. Dr. Couto has assured me that everything Casper is going through is normal for hounds.

His pee is of normal color now and he had his first poop last night/morning. His eating is challenging as he is picky, but, he really likes vanilla Ensure and I dilute it with water. This morning he ate chicken and rice and he is taking his pills now with pill pockets (as opposed to me shoving them down his throat).

He really think he can get on the couch and he is showing signs of his old self. I haven't begun tapering his pain meds but may start a little over the weekend. He isn't screaming now when get sits up (sometimes he does if he is on his suture side).

All in all, he is amazing, though I don't need to tell you all because you know how great these guys are. But I know he is going through this for me and I love him dearly.

I forgot, Casper is ALL white (hence, Casper :hehe ). and his suture looks really gnarly as does his bruising, but I think the surgeon did a great job. The suture today looks more calm.

Glad to hear about Casper's progress.

Katie had her drain tube removed tonight. She'll continue to wear a t-shirt in case the drain incision weeps on occasion (it should close up in 3 days). Amicar will be discontinued either Saturday night or Sunday morning.

Overall she's coming along. Sutures will come out on day 14 (15 July) with her first chemo administered that day, too.

Edited by MrAlexTheDog

Terrific progress for both Casper and Katie!!

This may not be necessary, but I taped a non-stick surgical dressing inside the t-shirt for Twiggy to help soak up the "ick" (keep in mind she had a terrible infection, so there was lots of "ick" to soak up). Still, it may help keep the t-shirt and bedding cleaner longer.

So glad to hear Casper's screaming is lessening. That was one of the worst parts for me. So heart-wrenching to see & hear!

You'll all be much happier once those stitches are out!

Glad to hear good progress notes for all of our recent new members here. I think of all of you often and love to hear all of the updates :)

ummm...katie...

one day soon you'll be able to jump up while sleeping in your bed, and run to the front door to bark at the approaching mailman.

but today is not that day.

Guest fastcasper

Update on Casper. We have stopped the Amicar, he has one more day of antibiotic, and I am starting to taper the Tramadol. That medicine seems to make him pant a lot at night. He will soon stop Gabapentin and still has Rimadyl. He is still not eating great but he is getting in calories and lots of water. I am still diluting the Ensure and he likes that.

He didn't have a drain put in and there was little seepage, though he is wearing his Greyhound Wellness Program t-shirt. He is suppose to get his sutures out on Wed and if they come out, will have his first round of chemo then. I have NO idea how they are going to take these things out, he is very sensitive about it. Is it hard to get them back into an SUV? I am stressed about doing that.

I'm happy to hear Katie is moving along in the right direction and it sounds like Casper and she will be traveling the same path (at least for a while).

Guest fastcasper

Can anyone recommend a good harness for my newly tripod? I see some nice ones online but not sure which is best for greyhounds. I appreciate any information or advice on this. Casper is getting around better. I'm glad to see him go to the bathroom by himself (I'm not far away!!)..nervous mom. :)

Guest FawnFan

Great news and updates regarding both Casper and Katie! Wishing you both many happy days and memories with you hounds.

And I also want to say, you both are very brave and I admire you both greatly! I am a nervous Mom and had a tough time with a thoracic surgery after-care. I think I would have thrown up often with the an amputation. So I'm sending lots of healing thought for both of your hounds.

Hope you all have a great week!

Kim, I don't have any suggestions for a harness for a front-leg amp. I've thought that it would be good to use one, but it seems like they slip around too much without 2 legs to anchor the harness in place. I feel like Twiggy would slip out of mpst harnesses really easily.

I do have a very basic harness that I tried on her at first, and it just didn't work at all. (slippage, like I noted above). Maybe the spook harness - the one with an extra loop that goes around the tuck area. That still would probably rotate, but wouldn't be as likely to slip off.

I found that what works for us is a longer (like 7 feet), lightweight leash. The length lets her keep going at her own pace better, and the weight keeps the leash from whipping around so much.

As for getting him back into the SUV, he might just surprise you and jump right in. If not, I'd make sure he is muzzles (just in case), and pick him up and pop him in. Easy to say, I know - it is kind of tricky to avoid the surgery area. On the one or two occasions I had to pick Twiggy up, I had her non-amp side against me and sort or wrapped my arm around her away from her amp site.

As for Katie: Um, yes, Katie - you might want to give the mailman a break for a week or two, I'm sure he could use it!! :)

I guess it's time we officially joined the club. Our Lana was diagnosed with bone cancer last week. She'd been having pain in her back right leg, and x-rays revealed a lytic area in the bone above the knee (the right distal femur). A urine test was done to rule out blastomycosis, and then the oncologist did a fine needle aspiration, which confirmed the presence of cancer. We don't know what kind of cancer it is yet (we decided not to put Lana through the pain of a bone biopsy), but it's most likely osteosarcoma. I guess we'll know for sure after her amputation, which is scheduled for Wednesday.

Thank you to everyone who has posted in this thread. Reading the information and experiences you've shared has been invaluable to us. We'll let you know how Lana's surgery goes. We've already contacted OSU for the free chemotherapy drugs. Lana's surgery and chemotherapy will be at the University of Wisconsin's Veterinary Hospital in Madison.

In case you're interested, here's a selection of photos of Lana from the past 3.5 years (taken by my wife, Shihmei):

Lana came to live with us when she was 4 years old. She's 7.5 now.

Victor

4444215502_4fab57c818.jpg