Osteo Thread Part Vi

Tara, I'm sorry Treetop has this horrid disease. {{{{{{{{{{{{{hugs}}}}}}}}}}}}

To those who want to put weight on their amp dogs, don't forget that the missing limb had weight to it, so you really don't want them at their original weight again. Also, lighter is better. Less weight (strain) on the remaining single leg. Of course I'm not talking skinny, just want to point out the obvious. Sometimes the obvious is not so obvious.

I'm thrilled that Katie and Python are doing so well!! And Python is a very pretty girl!!

• Replies 969
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest fastcasper

Casper was 74 lbs pre amp and was down to 62.3 after his first round of chemo. I think he has put a couple lbs back on. He goes tomorrow for CBC check and next Wed is his next chemo treatment (#2). He is off and on anti-nausea meds and appetite stimulants meds. He has never been food motivated (not like his sister Wynnie). He has always gotten fish/flax seed oil in his foods and I continue with that. I'm going to try and post his pic (though I am horrible at computer stuff).

Guest bozicj

To those who want to put weight on their amp dogs, don't forget that the missing limb had weight to it, so you really don't want them at their original weight again. Also, lighter is better. Less weight (strain) on the remaining single leg. Of course I'm not talking skinny, just want to point out the obvious. Sometimes the obvious is not so obvious.

Thank you. I know that her pre-amp weight isn't our goal but I can easily see like 6 ribs, which is why I feel that I need to put at least some of that weight back on. Especially since her chemo is postponed while we deal with the infection I'm hoping to put some weight back on before we start chemo and her appetite becomes more unpredictable.

If anyone's giving antibiotics for infection, check the label for dairy warnings. Often, dairy products taken within a few hours of an antibiotic can reduce the body's ability to absorb the antibiotic. When I needed to give Sam an antibiotic once a day and also needed to put weight on him, one meal was dairy free--rice, chicken, and scrambled eggs or peanut butter or something like that--and he took his antibiotic then. The other meals were vanilla Ensure, flavored yogurt, cheese, etc., added to his kibble.

The diet was successful in putting weight on Sam. Of course, it put even more weight on the healthy dog who insisted on eating Sam's leftovers.

15060353021_97558ce7da.jpg
Kathy and Q (CRT Qadeer from Fuzzy's Cannon and CRT Bonnie) and
Jane (WW's Aunt Jane from Trent Lee and Aunt M); photos to come.

Missing Silver (5.19.2005-10.27.2016), Tigger (4.5.2007-3.18.2016),
darling Sam (5.10.2000-8.8.2013), Jacey-Kasey (5.19.2003-8.22.2011), and Oreo (1997-3.30.2006)

Guest bozicj

Anyone using Artemisinin . What mg are you using . How many pills per day?

Everything I've read/been told has suggested 100mg/day. The capsules I got were 100mg so that's once a day. I give it at the opposite end of the day from the glucosamine/chondroitin supplements, just so I am always giving the same number of "pills" at each meal (easier for ME to remember :))

Anyone using Artemisinin . What mg are you using . How many pills per day?

Tara, you also want to cycle the Artemisinin. There are debates as to what the ideal cycle should be and there is a Yahoo group specifically on Artemisinin that discusses this. If I recall correctly we had Charlie 7 days on, 3 days off.

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Gus an coinnich sinn a'rithist my boys and little girl.

i was in touch with both my oncologist and with dr. cuoto today. i hadnt quite realized that the data on post-IV chemo was so bleak. basically, there is no empirical evidence that any of it does anything, though i suppose the only caveat is that there isnt much data to go on either way.

my oncologist recommends either artemisinin or metronomic chemo, on the basis that there is reason to logical believe that the effects of the treatments would be beneficial. but she does not recommend administering both at the same time, which was surprising to me. somehow i find this all to be very deflating: its been months of difficult decisions and harsh treatments, but now i feel like clinicians are basically telling me that the end point of this journey is to effectively throw up my hands and just see what happens, or to just choose whichever option makes me feel better. not that its their fault -- insufficient data is insufficient data. still, its frustrating.

Guest bozicj

i was in touch with both my oncologist and with dr. cuoto today. i hadnt quite realized that the data on post-IV chemo was so bleak. basically, there is no empirical evidence that any of it does anything, though i suppose the only caveat is that there isnt much data to go on either way.

my oncologist recommends either artemisinin or metronomic chemo, on the basis that there is reason to logical believe that the effects of the treatments would be beneficial. but she does not recommend administering both at the same time, which was surprising to me. somehow i find this all to be very deflating: its been months of difficult decisions and harsh treatments, but now i feel like clinicians are basically telling me that the end point of this journey is to effectively throw up my hands and just see what happens, or to just choose whichever option makes me feel better. not that its their fault -- insufficient data is insufficient data. still, its frustrating.

I've never really thought of it that way. I have been approaching the process as the amp and chemo are the treatment stage and then after that we'll monitor and treat as needed. But after she finishes her main chemo I'm just going to enjoy time with Python when her quality of life is so much better having had the treatments. I would honestly be saddened by the thought that she'll have to have some sort of "agressive" treatment for the rest of her life. To me, it would seem like a hardship that maybe I shouldn't put her through... That might just be me though. I'm looking forward to being done with the daily/weekly/monthly trips to the vet and getting back to "normal" just spending time with my furbaby

i suppose it depends on the journey. since his second treatment, tempo has had minimal to non-existent side effects from his IV-chemo and since the vet hospital is literally around the corner, his monthly visits are very low impact. the worst part about them is that his cousin rocko hates the vet and whines the whole time. tempo loves all the technicians and they love him, so he is showered with attention from the time he gets there until the time he leaves. by far the hardest part was amputation and recovery -- which was very difficult indeed -- but that's way behind him now.

I don't think a lot of studies have been completed on metronomic protocols. Probably the biggest one was the one at OSU that didn't show a meaningful difference in survival rates with the studies protocol.

It must be even more difficult to make a decision on a plan now that it was when I was making the decision. At least at that time, OSU and most oncologists agreed that a metronomic protocol involving an NSAID, and at least one or two low-dose oral chemo meds was a good idea.

There are plenty of dogs that had no metronomic protocol and lived 3+ years post amp/iv chemo. There are also plenty of dogs who had very aggressive treatment and the osteo came back within months anyway. I wish there were some way to predict how osteo will behave in any given patient.

In our case, I'll always wonder if the metronomic protocol we did (for the 4-5 months we did it) had any effect, or if she would have done just as well without it.

ps: I love the photo of Python! (I love her name, too)

Wendy with Twiggy, fosterless while Twiggy's fighting the good fight, and Donnie & Aiden the kitties

We're at 49 pages and the mods will close this thread soon. Can someone copy and the info in the first post - AND make any necessary changes in information! - and either send it to me so I can make # VII or make the new thread?

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

Guest Taras

Ok all we have a follow up appointment this weekend . Are there any question i should be sure to ask . Treetop is doing well and not in any pain at the moment and is enjoying his new meal plan of collard ,oat meal . And protins.

Ok all we have a follow up appointment this weekend . Are there any question i should be sure to ask . Treetop is doing well and not in any pain at the moment and is enjoying his new meal plan of collard ,oat meal . And protins.

Tara, do you have pain meds handy at home, in case Treetop gets ouchy? He could tweak a muscle or something not-dire, but you want to be able to make him comfortable if something happens, without waiting until you could reach his vet.

15060353021_97558ce7da.jpg
Kathy and Q (CRT Qadeer from Fuzzy's Cannon and CRT Bonnie) and
Jane (WW's Aunt Jane from Trent Lee and Aunt M); photos to come.

Missing Silver (5.19.2005-10.27.2016), Tigger (4.5.2007-3.18.2016),
darling Sam (5.10.2000-8.8.2013), Jacey-Kasey (5.19.2003-8.22.2011), and Oreo (1997-3.30.2006)

katie napping in the afternoon sun a few days ago:

CA_07201323472324-M.jpg

this morning she waited at the kitchen doorway for her breakfast again as i was preparing her's and sadie's food. she ate a cup of orijen dry + boiled chicken, then waited for more. so i fed her another ½ cup of orijen; she ate that, too.

her CBC taken a couple of days ago looked good. we'll take another one on 8/3, with her 2nd round of chemo scheduled for 8/5.

Steve, owner/photographer Crackerdog Photography, writer of ShutterHounds. Follow me on Instagram.
Alex (Sanja Black Eyes [1989-2003] - Sanja Superfrank x TH's Fandango), Nikki (Ein's Ardonis [1995-2008] - Farmer Wilson x Legs Polly),
Sadie (Carla Tar [2002-2014] - Coldwater Guv x Canatar), Katie (Leading Home [2003-2013] - Iruska Excalibur x Impress Me Much),

Bean ([2013-] - DJays Octane x O Ya Cranberry), and Billy Bob (O Ya Billy Bob [2011-2020] Dodgem By Design x O Ya Cranberry)
gallery_14296_2881_11695.jpg

Guest Jchallis87

i havent been on here very much lately and im sorry im trying to catch up. Katie looks great! casper sounds like hes doing well :) and im sorry about the loss of symbia i have missed a lot being gone for a week. im so happy to see all these success houndies! we can beat this!!

blitz is running around now :) shes very very happy and shes started playign with her toys again AND shes roaching again!!!! WOOHOOOO!!! she also had her first carboplatin treatment on wednesday last week and so far now side effects!

good luck every one! i want to thank EVERYONE on here for your support and love i honestly dont think i could have done any of this without all your help. you are all angels! and your blitz's heroes

OK Everyone. Time to move to PART VII.

Check in with an update!

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly