Osteo Thread Part Vi

Steve, saw your post on Katie and are thoughts are with you and her during her surgery. Hope all goes well and she heals quickly. I just felt it was not worth it. I will agree what has been said already, she'll likely want to do more than she should when she gets home.

Jen, I am glad Blitz's surgery went well. Try not to worry or second guess as the pain is now gone for her and now it's time to heal. You will be surprised how much they can do as a tripod and it will make you smile, that I promise.

Kim, we'll also be thinking of you and Casper during his surgery. Good healing thoughts! Sounds like you have his surgery all planned. As for coming home, I took off a week of work and then worked from home the second week to give our Charlie plenty of time to heal. He was all go when he came home pretty much but that second week at home, you would not think he was missing a leg.

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Gus an coinnich sinn a'rithist my boys and little girl.

• Replies 969
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest fastcasper

Thank you every one for your encouraging words. I knew I came to the right spot! :)

I'm glad Blitz is home and doing well. I am thinking of Katie as well and hope she blows through her surgery too.

I will make arrangements to have someone come over to check on Casper. I can work my schedule at bit and move clients around so I am not out of the house for too long.

I'm going to try and rest some this weekend, but my mind just gets going, you know???

I have s dumb question. I have read LS and rear legs, what is LS??? I don't think any of my hounds have had "LS".

I just got back from walking Casper and Wynnie and also did some shopping. We now have a buffet of pill pockets (he loves those), and Pup-peroni (economy size). My guys will do just about anything for those. They deserve some junk food now and then

LS = lumbosacral stenosis. See here.

I'll be thinking of you and Casper...

15060353021_97558ce7da.jpg
Kathy and Q (CRT Qadeer from Fuzzy's Cannon and CRT Bonnie) and
Jane (WW's Aunt Jane from Trent Lee and Aunt M); photos to come.

Missing Silver (5.19.2005-10.27.2016), Tigger (4.5.2007-3.18.2016),
darling Sam (5.10.2000-8.8.2013), Jacey-Kasey (5.19.2003-8.22.2011), and Oreo (1997-3.30.2006)

katie had her final pre-sx rads taken today. chest rads still show no visible lung mets. the proximal humerus is a little more rough-looking. sx still scheduled for this coming monday.

Steve, owner/photographer Crackerdog Photography, writer of ShutterHounds. Follow me on Instagram.
Alex (Sanja Black Eyes [1989-2003] - Sanja Superfrank x TH's Fandango), Nikki (Ein's Ardonis [1995-2008] - Farmer Wilson x Legs Polly),
Sadie (Carla Tar [2002-2014] - Coldwater Guv x Canatar), Katie (Leading Home [2003-2013] - Iruska Excalibur x Impress Me Much),

Bean ([2013-] - DJays Octane x O Ya Cranberry), and Billy Bob (O Ya Billy Bob [2011-2020] Dodgem By Design x O Ya Cranberry)
gallery_14296_2881_11695.jpg

Will be thinking of you guys, Steve... :grouphug

Kristin in Moline, IL USA with Ozzie (MRL Crusin Clem), Clarice (Clarice McBones), Latte and Sage the IGs, and the kitties: Violet and Rose
Lovingly Remembered: Sutra (Fliowa Sutra) 12/02/97-10/12/10, Pinky (Pick Me) 04/20/03-11/19/12, Fritz (Fritz Fire) 02/05/01 - 05/20/13, Ace (Fantastic Ace) 02/05/01 - 07/05/13, and Carrie (Takin the Crumbs) 05/08/99 - 09/04/13.

A cure for cancer can't come soon enough.--

here's a picture of katie that i took this afternoon after she ate dinner. she wanted to go outside and walk a lot today, even though she's not supposed to.

20130629_0003-L.jpg

Steve, owner/photographer Crackerdog Photography, writer of ShutterHounds. Follow me on Instagram.
Alex (Sanja Black Eyes [1989-2003] - Sanja Superfrank x TH's Fandango), Nikki (Ein's Ardonis [1995-2008] - Farmer Wilson x Legs Polly),
Sadie (Carla Tar [2002-2014] - Coldwater Guv x Canatar), Katie (Leading Home [2003-2013] - Iruska Excalibur x Impress Me Much),

Bean ([2013-] - DJays Octane x O Ya Cranberry), and Billy Bob (O Ya Billy Bob [2011-2020] Dodgem By Design x O Ya Cranberry)

Guest FawnFan

Such a beautiful picture of a beautiful hound. Like Kristen, I too will be thinking of you both today and tomorrow. Sending lots of good vibes and healing energy to the surgical room on Monday.

everyone else has already given good advice, so i dont have much to add. my greyhound is closing in on 3.5 months post-amputation. when people say the first two weeks are the hardest, it can be difficult to understand what they mean, and to what degree they mean it. in my case the first two weeks were the hardest on me. for my dog? honestly, i get the sense it wasnt too bad for him -- or at least, not nearly as bad as i expected it was going to be. once he came home from the hospital, he stopped whining and was just a little slow until he got off his heavy pain meds. but the general sadness, worry, and misgivings i had for those couple weeks were actually, physically exhausting. so i would say this: preparation for the care of your dog post-surgery is fairly straight forward. listen to the advice people have given you here. preparing yourself psychologically is less easy. having gone through the whole experience, however, i can honestly say that it was 100% worth it, even with the financial and emotional cost. tempo was back in fine form amazingly fast. i hope we have a long time together still, but even these only 3+ months since surgery have seemed like an ocean of time, and he's been able to be a happy and rambunctious dog for what must, to him, seem like a forever series of sunny days, dog treats, long walks, and evenings on his favorite side of the couch.

Guest fastcasper

Casper, Wynnie and I just went for our walk. Casper had a good meal tonight and he will have a good night rest before his procedure tomorrow.

Thamks Jr grey lover, the fact you talked about how you felt is helpful. And I'm happy to hear you think it was 100% worth it.

Thank you everyone for all the great information.

I will update when I can.

Edited by fastcasper

If the picture is in photobucket or some other services, you can post [ IMG ] url of your picture [ / IMG ] without the spaces. I hope all goes well for your pupper!

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

everyone else has already given good advice, so i dont have much to add. my greyhound is closing in on 3.5 months post-amputation. when people say the first two weeks are the hardest, it can be difficult to understand what they mean, and to what degree they mean it. in my case the first two weeks were the hardest on me. for my dog? honestly, i get the sense it wasnt too bad for him -- or at least, not nearly as bad as i expected it was going to be. once he came home from the hospital, he stopped whining and was just a little slow until he got off his heavy pain meds. but the general sadness, worry, and misgivings i had for those couple weeks were actually, physically exhausting. so i would say this: preparation for the care of your dog post-surgery is fairly straight forward. listen to the advice people have given you here. preparing yourself psychologically is less easy. having gone through the whole experience, however, i can honestly say that it was 100% worth it, even with the financial and emotional cost. tempo was back in fine form amazingly fast. i hope we have a long time together still, but even these only 3+ months since surgery have seemed like an ocean of time, and he's been able to be a happy and rambunctious dog for what must, to him, seem like a forever series of sunny days, dog treats, long walks, and evenings on his favorite side of the couch.

You summarized this very well. No amount of prep can prepare 'you' for the first week or two at home with your pup after amputation. They seem to generally take it in stride as long as you keep them on the pain meds but us, we're the wreck. The most important thing to think about is you chose this path, there is no going back so press on and you will be rewarded with a pup no longer in pain and enjoying life soon after.

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Guest fastcasper

Casper is in his procedure right now. Chest rads looked fine and we went forth. I think he was starting to get uncomfortable these past couple days even though he was still bearing weight on his leg and not limbing. I really didn't want him in a lot of pain prior to the surgery, but toeing the line with it.

I hope Katie is doing well today too!!

Fingers and toes crossed for Casper and Katie!

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Keeping both Casper and Katie in our thoughts.

Thinking of Casper and Katie today... :goodluck

Kristin in Moline, IL USA with Ozzie (MRL Crusin Clem), Clarice (Clarice McBones), Latte and Sage the IGs, and the kitties: Violet and Rose
Lovingly Remembered: Sutra (Fliowa Sutra) 12/02/97-10/12/10, Pinky (Pick Me) 04/20/03-11/19/12, Fritz (Fritz Fire) 02/05/01 - 05/20/13, Ace (Fantastic Ace) 02/05/01 - 07/05/13, and Carrie (Takin the Crumbs) 05/08/99 - 09/04/13.

Guest fastcasper

The surgeon called me to say Casper did well. Everything went smoothly! Oncologist double checked the x-rays too and said no mets.

Thanks everyone for the fingers crossed and good thoughts, I think they helped. :)

:yay

Now waiting to hear on Katie...

katie got out of surgery a little over an hour ago. she was trying to stand up already, our daughter said (she works at the vet practice where katie's surgery was performed). we plan on bringing her home tonight when our daughter gets off work at the vet's.

i received a picture from our daughter that she took of katie standing in her dog run while wearing the cone of shame a half-hour ago.

Edited by MrAlexTheDog

Great news on both Casper and Katie!

Steve, that's great that your daughter works in the vet clinic.

Here's to a smooth recovery for all!

Wendy with Twiggy, fosterless while Twiggy's fighting the good fight, and Donnie & Aiden the kitties