Osteo Thread Part Vi

Jenny, I am so sorry to hear about Blitz's osteo. It is such an overwhelming diagnosis, I think in large part because there are so many options for treatment, but they are drastically different, and none of them come with any guarantees.

Re: free chemo - I think (but am not sure) that the chemo is still free without membership, it is just consults that are no longer free for non-members.

When I started down this road with Twiggy, I didn't realize that the initial expenses were not going to be the major part of her bills. Of course, we had some unexpected issues along the way that most don't, but I was not considering just how expensive the chemo administration and bloodwork would be. This can vary greatly among locations and even between clinics in the same area (I found this out when I switched oncologists!)

There are so many of us here, I think people have experience with just about all types of treatments (except for limb-sparing surgery).

Twiggy and I are among the lucky ones - she will be 22-months post-amp this Sunday, and is doing great (her lungs were still clear at her last check-up a month ago). It does seem to be true that they seem to become "more" after the amp. Twiggy isn't the same dog she was pre-amp. She is so much more purposeful, fun, demanding, social, full of live and adventure... We've been on several greyhound vacations (2 Mountain Hounds trips and GIG), and she has been one of the most on-the-go hounds at each of them! I wish all hounds could be as lucky as Twiggy; it would make treatment decisions much easier!

Your girl Blitz is so beautiful! Please know that as others have said, you are the only one who is qualified to make decisions for her. You are doing everything you can - gathering information, asking questions, and then you will apply that to your understanding of Blitz and your own situation to make your decision. The decision you make will absolutely be the right one.

Wendy with Twiggy, fosterless while Twiggy's fighting the good fight, and Donnie & Aiden the kitties

• Replies 969
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Jchallis87

i have heard the tail of twiggy even all the way up here in toronto canada. blitz is already purposeful, demanding and full of life so im hoping (minus the demanding) that she becomes more so after! im anxiously awating her surgery i want her to get better. AND the ohio state univeristy said they would send me 4 treatments of her chemo for free and ship them to canada. i am eternally grateful to all of you and to ohio state. when shes better i plan on taking a trip down there myself to say thank you.

I concur with Wendy's statement about pups being "more" after their amp. Our Charlie was nuts and blossomed so much more on three legs. Nothing would stop him and he outran our 4 legged boy on several occasions going after squirrels AND caught one if you believe it.

Also about the chemo coming into Canada from OSU, yes it can be done.

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Gus an coinnich sinn a'rithist my boys and little girl.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, page 3 would be good news if it weren't for Adam and Katie this week - not in this thread, but osteo nonetheless :weep :weep

Checking in with Twiggy, still doing great (but we got caught in a flash thunderstorm this evening - still drying off!)

Wendy with Twiggy, fosterless while Twiggy's fighting the good fight, and Donnie & Aiden the kitties

:yay TWIGGY! :yay

Yes. Sad news about Katie and Adam.............................. I hate cancer.

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

hey, everyone. i'll post updates on how our katie is doing. this afternoon she goes in for an FNA. final pre-sx rads are scheduled for this friday. surgery is scheduled for next monday. a friend of ours is coming by this thursday to measure our front steps so he can build a ramp.

Steve, owner/photographer Crackerdog Photography, writer of ShutterHounds. Follow me on Instagram.
Alex (Sanja Black Eyes [1989-2003] - Sanja Superfrank x TH's Fandango), Nikki (Ein's Ardonis [1995-2008] - Farmer Wilson x Legs Polly),
Sadie (Carla Tar [2002-2014] - Coldwater Guv x Canatar), Katie (Leading Home [2003-2013] - Iruska Excalibur x Impress Me Much),

Bean ([2013-] - DJays Octane x O Ya Cranberry), and Billy Bob (O Ya Billy Bob [2011-2020] Dodgem By Design x O Ya Cranberry)
gallery_14296_2881_11695.jpg

What you'll find Steve is that Katie will want to do more things that she is capable of. You'll actually need to hold her back a little. Actually I think that's a good thing. It means they don't fret about missing a limb. They get right on with life.

You and Katie will be in my prayers! :hope

Steve, I hate seeing you in here. :(

I meant to post this a bit sooner. I currently have an injury to my rib cartilage that is taking a long time to heal so I've been doing a lot of research into what I might be able to do to help healing and came across information about Calcium Orotate, which may be useful to folks here. You can read a summary of Hans Nieper's research here, but here's the relevant bit:

Calcium Orotate

Treatment or prevention of osteoporosis is one of the main applications for calcium supplements generally and for calcium orotate in particular. Dr. Nieper specifically cited its effectiveness in treating both inflammatory and osteoporotic decalcification and in relieving pain resulting from osteoporosis of the spine. 19 In another paper Nieper reported successful recalcification of malignant bone tumors (thereby preventing further metastases) with calcium orotate in 10 out of 13 subjects. 1 He also found that a daily oral dose of about 600 mg was sufficient to reverse bone loss caused by radiological therapy in cancer patients, an effect documented by X-ray photos of several subjects before and after treatment with calcium orotate. 1 19 A further paper reported on the benefits of calcium orotate in treating joint diseases such as arthritis and spondylitis. 48 On the basis of results such as these, it seems likely that calcium orotate can also have a beneficial impact on the degenerative bone changes characteristic of osteoarthritis.

From what I've been able to gather, Nieper had a lot of theories about how various orotates could help ailments and died before he could substantiate a lot of his claims. However, since then, some of them have been confirmed through other research, at least indicating the guy wasn't a total loon. :P I have also found anecdotal evidence on a few forums with people diagnosed with what I have being helped by calcium orotate like he found. So it's one of those things where it's probably relatively harmless to try it if you don't overdo the dosage and it could help.

Note that it needs to be Calcium Orotate (not Citrate or another form). Nutrient Carriers Advanced Research makes a formula, as does Global Healing Center (theirs is called Intracal). Amazon Prime has both, ~$22 for the Advanced Research and $32 for Intracal for 90-100 tablets and depending on what dosage you want to use you'd give 1-3 capsules/day.

Edited by NeylasMom

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

Guest Jchallis87

oh steve...im going through this for the first time right now and im new to the forum but my heart goes out to you and katie. i cant send enough love and hugs your way because theres not enough in the world to make it any better

on a side note and not trying to take anything away for your beauty i have an Update on Blitz. she had her surgery today. my best friend is the vet tech at our clinic so i was getting very frequent updates and shes actually packing a bag right now and shes sleeping in the clinic tonight with my baby girl to make sure everything goes ok. (true blue friend) Surgery was a success however she was very upset and confused when she woke up she went straight for the missing leg which broke my heart to hear it but i know i did the right thing. she had another chest Xray this morning and still no lung mets!!! yay! she comes home tomorrow night and were anxiously awaiting her arrival.

Great news about Blitz's surgery!

After Twiggy came home, sometimes she'd be up on 3 legs and then start listing to the leg-less side - she needed to re-learn her center of balance. Blitz will figure it out. She's on really heavy-duty pain meds right now, so that and the confusion they so often get after coming out of anesthesia are only adding to her difficulty right now.

It will be a rough week or two, but then things will start getting better.

katie's FNA did not happen. based on the shoulder rads that were taken last week the oncologist thought there might not be a thin spot in the proximal humerus where she could insert a needle. so she did an ultrasound of the bone and she was right -- the bone hadn't eroded enough yet. we're taking that as a good thing. she explained that the FNA would only tell us whether it was a sarcoma or not -- not the type of sarcoma.

final pre-sx rads will be taken this friday, with sx scheduled for next monday.

Steve, owner/photographer Crackerdog Photography, writer of ShutterHounds. Follow me on Instagram.
Alex (Sanja Black Eyes [1989-2003] - Sanja Superfrank x TH's Fandango), Nikki (Ein's Ardonis [1995-2008] - Farmer Wilson x Legs Polly),
Sadie (Carla Tar [2002-2014] - Coldwater Guv x Canatar), Katie (Leading Home [2003-2013] - Iruska Excalibur x Impress Me Much),

Bean ([2013-] - DJays Octane x O Ya Cranberry), and Billy Bob (O Ya Billy Bob [2011-2020] Dodgem By Design x O Ya Cranberry)
gallery_14296_2881_11695.jpg

Yep. Pinky's FNA just told us "a sarcoma of some type." Hers was in a rear leg though, distal femur. I think that bone is easier to penetrate.

Kristin in Moline, IL USA with Ozzie (MRL Crusin Clem), Clarice (Clarice McBones), Latte and Sage the IGs, and the kitties: Violet and Rose
Lovingly Remembered: Sutra (Fliowa Sutra) 12/02/97-10/12/10, Pinky (Pick Me) 04/20/03-11/19/12, Fritz (Fritz Fire) 02/05/01 - 05/20/13, Ace (Fantastic Ace) 02/05/01 - 07/05/13, and Carrie (Takin the Crumbs) 05/08/99 - 09/04/13.

A cure for cancer can't come soon enough.--

Guest fastcasper

Hello everyone,

My name is Kim and I am your newest member. My boy Casper is a victim of this deadly disease. On May 8 I was at the vet for an unrelated reason (x-raying a healing broken toe), and she took comparison x-ray of his front right and left legs. She called me shortly there after saying they spotted a suspicious "something" on the rads. The next day we took chest rads and they were clear. Following week we went to an oncologist for a consult. A few days later we did a bone biopsy. That came back inconclusive. Casper is acting fine. He is not limping or lame. There is slight sensitivity upon palpation. We have been monitoring him since. This past Monday he had a check up. A growth we have been watching had gotten bigger. They did a needle aspirate and we now have a definitive answer. I struggled because I didn't want to wake up one day and he be in pain or have a pathologic fracture when I got home. 8 weeks from when we first spotted something, he continues to be himself. I have limited his "high impact" activities while he still enjoy his life. I have wanted to keep him 4 legged as long as I could. But now, I feel I am tempting fate. I have all along said I would do an amputation and chemo. I have schedule him for his procedure for July 1. He will get chest rads done to make sure nothing visible is in there. He HATES going to the vet but once he is there he is very cooperative, that is my only concern. He is otherwise a good candidate for amputation, plus he is only 9.5 yrs. old. My thought!!......he could be THAT dog who lives 12+++ months. I won't know until we try, right? Anyway, he is my first osteo hound (out of 5). I am a little worried about when he comes home, how to take care of him. I live be myself and 2 hounds. I have a one story house (no stairs), and I am taking a few days off of work to be there for him.

I have read lots of the threads, and have cried following the stories and cheered when there is happy news! Thank you for all the great information you all provide. This is an excellent place for support and information.

Kim, I'm sorry for the diagnosis but hope your boy flies through the surgery and does well afterwards.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

The first few days home from surgery are the roughest, IMO. Even more so if you are doing it alone. If you can afford it, I would ask them to keep him at the hospital (provided there is someone there monitoring the animals at night) for an few extra days until he is really mobile and completely recovered from the surgery. Also, if you have a good friend or family member who can come and help you, I think that would be helpful. Just to watch him while you grab a shower, or take the others for a walk, or a nice long nap!

Make sure you go shopping for supplies before he comes home - food for you, too! Have an area set up near him where you can sleep, if accessing your bedroom is difficult. We used an x-pen to isolate our boy from the rest of our greys in the first week or so. Mostly so they didn't bump him too hard and knock him over.

He will be up and raring to go waaaaaay before you think he should be. They adapt very quickly and easily once they are out of the surgery fog and at home.

If you haven't yet, contact the Greyhound Health and Wellness Program at Ohio State University (see the first post in this thread for contact info). The program is in a bit of limbo right now, but I believe they are still sending out free IV chemo. Then your onco just has to administer it.

I'm so sorry you're having to join this Club. Good luck and keep us posted!

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

Guest fastcasper

Thank you so much. I hate to join this club too, but am thankful there is a club.

He is going to stay 2 nights and I will pick him up later in the afternoon on his third day. So, hopefully, he will be a little more alert. I worry about getting him in and out of the SUV.

I have a air mattress that I will set up next to his bed. I think his sister will stay away from him until the hospital smell goes away. I also have gotten a friend to help out (a lot)! How many days should I plan on taking off work? I can't take too much time off but I can be home for the first 4 days and then in and out being gone for about 2 hours at a time.

I am a member of the Greyhound Wellness Program and Dr. Couto is a friend of mine. He and Dr. Kellogg have been very responsive.

I'm glad he is still not lame, but I know it's a matter of time. I hope his chest rads are clear so we can process. I don't know how quickly this cancer spread. SO, I hope I'm not too late. Aside from his growth on his legs, I don't think you would know he has osteo. What an incredible breed!!!

Guest FawnFan

Kim, I too am sorry for Casper's diagnosis. I can't provide any input or suggestions about the amp and chemo (I did keep him comfy for as long as I could). Will keep you and Casper in my thoughts and prayers.

Kim, I hate to hear that you and Casper have joined our club. It is awful to have to be a member, but great that it is here. The wonderful people here have meant the world to me, and helped me direct Twiggy's treatment in the right direction. I know I would have made some (many) missteps otherwise.

It's great that you know Dr. Couto so well!

All the advice Chris (greysmom) gave is right on. Casper may still be pretty out of it a day and a half after surgery. That was the earliest I was allowed to visit Twiggy at OSU, and she was still on iv pain meds and quite out of it (despite OSU telling me that she was doing better than nearly any other greyhound they'd had go through this, which as you know is a LOT). I made OSU keep Twiggy a really long time - her surgery was on a Tuesday and I didn't take her home until Saturday morning (they basically kicked her out :lol - I was paranoid about the 6-hour drive home). Others here have had their hounds come home the day after surgery and do really well, so he may be fine by the time you get back to work. I'd recommend trying to line up someone for a visit or two during the day on your first 2-3 days back at work (even better if you had someone who didn't mind just hanging out with him all day - that would help with his meds as well). The July 4 holiday will help out your schedule, too, so that's good!

A couple other tips: have some plastic wrap or a waterproof coat available to keep the bandages/amp site dry in case of rain - with this year's weather, that is likely to be put to good use! Make a schedule for his meds. He will be on a lot of meds, and some will be every 8 hours, some 12 hours, maybe even some every six hours, and there is a mix of with food / without food. That can be tricky to handle (especially if you are working!), and guarantees a lack of sleep.

Try to rest up before he comes home. It could be a week or two before you get a good nights sleep.

So, there will be two amps in our little club this coming Monday. I don't think we've ever had that here before. I will be anxiously awaiting news on both Casper and Katie!

Jenny, how is Blitz doing?? I'm sure you've barely got a moment to breathe yet, but I'm thinking of you both!

Edited by TwiggysMom

Guest Jchallis87

Hi Kim i fear we will be great friends on here :) im sorry to hear about your baby. ours came home today post surgery. her surgery was wednesday and shes so far so good. theres a lot of sweeling and shes got a shunt to help drain some of the bleeding shes got going on. she perks up when someone comes in the door or when theres really yummy smelling food around but otherwise shes just flopped and resting.

shes doing well with the towel. we even got her to pee outside!!!!!! im super happy about that. shes not eating much right no but shes dirnking. what a gruesome looking wound though. im a paramedic. ive seen some pretty gnarly things but this catches my throat. it was the right decision 110% but its hard to see her like this right now. shes confused and shes so not impressed but it will get better i know this.

i have to work this weekend (so much for my canada day long weekend) but the hubby is home to take care of her then im back on duty tuesday and wednesday and fortunatly (even thought it poor circumstances and theres nothign good about this next thing but it helps) my mom happends to be going through her own cancer battle right now so shes no longer working so shes gonna hang out with us too and help out. what a family situation we have right now eh? but i will keep you all posted and as for Casper and Katie keep us in the loop we're all ROOting for your houndies! :) (ya ya that was lame)

Edited by Jchallis87

Guest Jchallis87

The first few days home from surgery are the roughest, IMO. Even more so if you are doing it alone. If you can afford it, I would ask them to keep him at the hospital (provided there is someone there monitoring the animals at night) for an few extra days until he is really mobile and completely recovered from the surgery. Also, if you have a good friend or family member who can come and help you, I think that would be helpful. Just to watch him while you grab a shower, or take the others for a walk, or a nice long nap!

Make sure you go shopping for supplies before he comes home - food for you, too! Have an area set up near him where you can sleep, if accessing your bedroom is difficult. We used an x-pen to isolate our boy from the rest of our greys in the first week or so. Mostly so they didn't bump him too hard and knock him over.

He will be up and raring to go waaaaaay before you think he should be. They adapt very quickly and easily once they are out of the surgery fog and at home.

If you haven't yet, contact the Greyhound Health and Wellness Program at Ohio State University (see the first post in this thread for contact info). The program is in a bit of limbo right now, but I believe they are still sending out free IV chemo. Then your onco just has to administer it.

I'm so sorry you're having to join this Club. Good luck and keep us posted!

chis as a side note they are still sending the drugs i spoke with christine kellogg at osu and they are sending me 4 rounds next week :)

Awesome! Their situation - whatever it is, and whoever is involved - has many of us very concerned.

I'm so glad to hear that Blitz is doing well at home! Those wounds are pretty awful to look at, and unfortunately, the bruising gets worse before it gets better. Is she on Amicar? (aminocaproic acid) That helps control the bleeding/bruising (somewhat, anyway)

You and your mom are making the best of a bad situation - I bet they will have an amazing bond going through this together. I'm sending healthy thoughts out for your mom as well as Blitz!