Today We Said "goodbye" To Our Snappy Doodle Doo 5/11/05--09/1

Guest greytbig

Guest greytbig

I am still so numb that it's difficult to type this, but my Snappy deserves that I honor him here.......in this place where Greyhounds are so thoroughly appreciated. He was simply running in our yard yesterday when his front right ankle broke. Our vet is only 3 blocks away, so we had him there in minutes. When they showed me the x-ray, however, the real culprit came into view.........the bone had been seriously compromised by an illness that we Grey owners are all too familiar with. I refuse to use its name....not in the same space where I will shout to ends of this earth in praise and rememberance of my beautiful boy! Because amputation was an option that would only prolong the inevitable, we chose to help our dear boy go with ONE THING ONLY on our minds......his comfort. We brought him home from the specialty hospital @ 2:30pm. We lavished him (and little brother Fred, who is lost) with ice cream, soda pop out of Dad's glass and as many kisses and "we love you"s as we could before 3:15pm. That is when our vet, who has always been Snappy's doctor, came to help us by letting Snappy close his eyes for the last time in HIS house, on HIS blankie, with us being the last thing he saw. Words can't tell you how that feels. He had been in such pain that for him to leave us, in the place where our love had always flowed and he was comfortable, gave us a peace that can't be felt in a clinic. God Bless Dr. Michael and the wonderful staff at our vet clinic. Most of all, God Bless our Snappy and a heartfelt thank you to Him for letting us have him these last wonderful 7 years. I have included the pictures of Snappy that I believe you will all remember.

Of all the times for this to happen.........trouble with file sizes.......photo problems...... not worth it right now

Just look at my profile picture. That's Snappy Doodle talk for "The End"

05/11/2005---09/19/2012 (within days of his "gotcha" anniversary)

Edited by greytbig

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's heartbreaking to lose a precious Grey at any time, but doubly hard for it to happen suddenly, from the damn monster.

I'm so sorry you lost your sweet Snappy.

gallery_11446_3599_3864.jpg
Nancy, Mom to Evangelina and Kiva
Missing Lacey, Patsy, Buster, my heart dog Nick, Winnie, Pollyanna, Tess, my precious Lydia, Calvin Lee, my angel butterfly Laila, and kitties Lily, Sam and Simon
My Etsy shop: http://www.etsy.com/shop/Catsburgandhoundtown

Guest ladyhound

I am so very sorry. Your boy was clearly so well loved and had a very happy life with your family. So heartbreaking to lose him and so brutally unfair, he was far too young. :grouphug

I'm very sorry for your sudden loss. You wrote a wonderful tribute to your friend.

Run pain free Snappy. :f_white

rocket-signature-jpeg.jpg

Camp Broodie. The current home of Mark Kay Mark Jack and Gracie Kiowa Safe Joan.  Always missing my boy Rocket Hi Noon Rocket,  Allie  Phoenix Dynamite, Kate Miss Kate, Starz Under Da Starz, Petunia MW Neptunia, Diva Astar Dashindiva, and LaVida I've Got Life

I'm so very sorry. :grouphug

Edited by robinw

siggy_robinw_tbqslg.jpg
Xavi the galgo and Peter the cat. Missing Iker the galgo ?-Feb.9/19, Treasure (USS Treasure) April 12/01-May 6/13, Phoenix (Hallo Top Son) Dec.14/99-June 4/11 and Loca (Reko Swahili) Oct.9/95 - June 1/09, Allen the boss cat, died late November, 2021, age 19.

I'm so sorry for your loss.

Godspeed, sweetheart.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Your tribute is beautiful. I love Snappy's name, and his butt shot made me laugh through my tears. I am so very sorry for the Snappy-sized hole in your hearts right now. :grouphug

Godspeed special boy, your family loves you so much f_yellow

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.

I am so very sorry. Snappy was so very loved and left too soon.

Run free Snappy, run free sweetie...:gh_run

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Gus an coinnich sinn a'rithist my boys and little girl.

I am so very sorry. Snappy knew he was loved. May your memories bring you comfort.

gallery_16605_3214_8259.jpg

Cindy with Miss Fancypants, Paris Bueller, Zeke, and Angus 
Dante (Dg's Boyd), Zoe (In a While), Brady (Devilish Effect), Goose (BG Shotgun), Maverick (BG ShoMe), Maggie (All Trades Jax), Sherman (LNB Herman Bad) and Indy (BYB whippet) forever in my heart
The flame that burns the brightest, burns the fastest and leaves the biggest shadow

:weep He was so young. I am so sorry. I have come to believe that it is only very special people that are gifted such most special souls like him that complete their earth journey "early" and have to leave. God bless all. :grouphug

The Gift

I’ll lend you for a little while my grandest dog, he said.

For you to love while he’s alive

And mourn for when he’s dead.

It may be one or many years,

Or days, or months, you see.

But will you, till I take him back

Take care of him for me?

He’ll bring his charm to gladden you,

And should his stay be brief

You will have treasured memories

As solace for your grief.

I cannot promise he will stay,

Since all from earth return.

But there are lessons taught on earth

I want this dog to learn.

I’ve looked the wide world over

In my search for teachers true.

And from the throngs that crowd life’s lanes

With trust, I have selected you.

Now will you give him your total love?

Nor think the labor vain,

Nor hate when I come

To take him back again?

I know you’ll give him tenderness

And love will bloom each day.

And for the happiness you’ve known

Forever grateful stay.

But should I come and call for him

Sooner than you’ve planned

You’ll brave the bitter grief that comes

And someday you’ll understand.

~Author Unknown

:f_red :f_red :f_red :f_red :f_red:gh_run

Guest PiagetsMom

I lost my girl in the same way, and I know how hard it is to believe that it's happened, and exactly how you're feeling right now. I'm so very sorry for the loss of your beautiful Snappy who you loved so much - my heart goes out to you :grouphug

Edited by PiagetsMom

Guest greytbig

As long as I have been visiting this site, I am still in awe of the exceptional level of true and honest sympathy, combined with well wishes and shared tears that are, to me, the essence of what we "Greyhound People" are about. There is, of course, a love for all animals here, but when it comes to those captivating and beautiful creatures, Greys, there is a well-deserved special place here and that is why I keep coming back. Thank you all for your messages of hope and love. I know they are heartfelt and being here, on the "receiving end", it means so very much to Dennis and I. As promised earlier, HERE are some of my favorite photos of our beautiful boy, Snappy. He REALLY was such a good boy and our hearts are very heavy. You all help ease that pain, though!

Please send a little "healing power" to Snappy's "little brother", Fred. It tears even more at my heart to see his pain and sadness from the loss he has endured, as well. For starters, we took a trip to the pet store for a new toy........not gonna be a "fix", but we want him to KNOW that he is loved and that he matters. That's him, with Snappy, doing their routine of surveillance work! (they love those look-out holes!!)

th_100_0586a-1_zps66d2b9d7.jpg?t=1348110118th_ROOSBLUES.jpg?t=1318490185th_100_0504.jpgth_snappy02.jpg?t=1318490117th_100_0140a.jpg

Oh no! I am so sorry and heartbroken to hear this and will not utter that monsters name that took him from you too. ((((Hugs)))) Snappy's a gorgeous boy. I am so sorry he had to leave and so fast. Very glad you have such an amazing vet to let him go at home with you and in comfort.

Mom to Macho (JS XtremeMachine 1/12/2007 -8/17/2012 ... Gotcha day 9/2/2011. I miss you BigMan)
Moonbeam (Ninos Full Moon 11/1/2009, Gotcha day 9/2/2012), Hattie (Kiowa Hats Off 4/14/2011, Gotcha day 10/13/2012), Keiva (JS Igotyourbooty 1/12/2007, Gotcha Day 1/8/2014)
Jimmy (Blu Too James 06/26/2014, Gotcha day 09/12/2015)
, a shepard mix named Tista, some cats, and some reptiles.