Legs Has Dilated Cardiomyopathy

Makes one wonder if they do nerve conduction studies on dogs like they do on people.

I'm sorry you're going through this, you and sweet Legs.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

• Replies 323
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was just going to ask if he's had an ultrasound. Chrissy lasted quite some time on medication with cardio. Here's hoping.

Diane, what were her symptoms? I have been reading up on it and while most of his symptoms fit, it seems like it's been going on way too long for it to be DCM. Though some sites say that in breeds other than Dobermans it can be years before it's severe enough for a diagnosis.

His u/s is scheduled for Thurs. I am really scared but hopeful that it will at least finally give some real answers.

sending more prayers to Legs! :hope

Kim and Bruce - with Rick (Rick Roufus 6/30/16) and missing my sweet greyhound Angels Rainey (LG's Rainey 10/4/2000 - 3/8/2011), Anubis (RJ's Saint Nick 12/25/2001 - 9/12/12) and Zeke (Hey Who Whiz It 4/6/2009 - 7/20/2020) and Larry (PTL Laroach 2/24/2007 - 8/2/2020) -- and Chester (Lab) (8/31/1990 - 5/3/2005), Captain (Schipperke) (10/12/1992 - 6/13/2005) and Remy (GSP) (?/?/1998 - 1/6/2005) at the bridge
"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut." -- Ernest Hemmingway

I have a friend who had a Boxer live to age 12 with DCM! A 12 year old boxer I think is fairly rare AND it wasn't the DCM that killed her, she had Boxer tumors and one ruptured and she started to bleed out. Oh, and an unsolicited plug....OSU treated her DCM.

Angie, Pewter, and Storm-puppy

Forever missing Misty-Mousie (9/9/99 - 10/5/15)
Fort Wayne, Indiana

I have a friend who had a Boxer live to age 12 with DCM! A 12 year old boxer I think is fairly rare AND it wasn't the DCM that killed her, she had Boxer tumors and one ruptured and she started to bleed out. Oh, and an unsolicited plug....OSU treated her DCM.

thank you for posting that. def makes me feel better! I have to assume since I've been seeing sxs of whatever is wrong for over 2 years, that is a good sign. though doing more reading last night, it sounds like many greyhounds w/ DCM just drop dead one day. i didn't sleep much last night :(

Don't get the cart before the horse--wait and see what the echo shows. If it is DCM there are medications that can help. Dr google can be a scary guy--wait and see what they find --I know it's hard but, you're going to make yourself ill with worry.

thank you. It's just so hard when you don't know what is wrong!

I just realized Legs is having his heart ultrasound on Valentine's Day :heart That has to be good luck, right?

Edited by RileysLegacy

:heart

Kristin in Moline, IL USA with Ozzie (MRL Crusin Clem), Clarice (Clarice McBones), Latte and Sage the IGs, and the kitties: Violet and Rose
Lovingly Remembered: Sutra (Fliowa Sutra) 12/02/97-10/12/10, Pinky (Pick Me) 04/20/03-11/19/12, Fritz (Fritz Fire) 02/05/01 - 05/20/13, Ace (Fantastic Ace) 02/05/01 - 07/05/13, and Carrie (Takin the Crumbs) 05/08/99 - 09/04/13.

A cure for cancer can't come soon enough.--

Pearl had heart disease and uncontrolled hypertension. Her heart disease was a mitral valve, not DCM. She was diagnosed at 5 and given 2-3 yrs. (that prognosis came before her hypertension diagnosis!)

She lived to 12 and died of cancer. And at no point did anyone that met her have a clue she was "sickly". She was happy, feeling good, and loving life until 3 weeks before she died.

She was on a plethura of pills, 21 a day, 8 different meds. And she handled them relatively well considering the amount. I was told she would either have a heart attack and die or get congestive heart failure.

So, please keep your chin up. You don't know how long Legs will live until he dies. He may die of liver disease at age 16.

good luck to sweet Legs today. Here's hoping for a definitive diagnosis - one that has good meds to treat it! :wub:

Maureen, Sean, Molly (Garnett Madonna) and Sully (Starz Top Style)

gallery_1382_2909_6961.jpg

Visit LongDog Leather Works for adjustable leather martingales, wrap around leather tag bags, breakaway tag necklaces and cool leather people gear. Check out our Etsy store!

Hope you finally get some answers, and good ones! :goodluck

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

Hoping all goes well today for Legs and you! Our Jack had DCM unfortunately but let's see what the ultrasound shows first before worrying about that.

Edited by Charlies_Dad

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Gus an coinnich sinn a'rithist my boys and little girl.

Good thoughts for Legs on this lovely Valentine's Day :heart

Edited by krissn333

Kristin in Moline, IL USA with Ozzie (MRL Crusin Clem), Clarice (Clarice McBones), Latte and Sage the IGs, and the kitties: Violet and Rose
Lovingly Remembered: Sutra (Fliowa Sutra) 12/02/97-10/12/10, Pinky (Pick Me) 04/20/03-11/19/12, Fritz (Fritz Fire) 02/05/01 - 05/20/13, Ace (Fantastic Ace) 02/05/01 - 07/05/13, and Carrie (Takin the Crumbs) 05/08/99 - 09/04/13.

A cure for cancer can't come soon enough.--

{{{{{{{{{{Lucy & Legs}}}}}}}}}}

Treatment plan?

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.