Legs Has Dilated Cardiomyopathy

Guest grey_dreams

I'm sorry for this news, but hopefully now you can move forward with an appropriate treatment plan. Sending lots of good thoughts for you and Legs.

• Replies 323
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've been catching up on this topic all day today and am just in time for your final diagnosis. I feel so bad since I've been wallowing in self pity because I have to pay for osteosarcoma care for our newly adopted 10.5 yr old and it looks like everybody here has health issues that take up a good chunk of money. I don't mean to be heartless but money getting thrown around for a consult, a diagnosis, a hopefully effective treatment.....gets me angry when I have debt already up the wazoo. And look at you, Lucy, plodding along for months and months, probably spending a lot of your savings. Sometimes I just want to ask for the cheapest way to get quality care. But we live and learn.

I don't know anything about heart problems in dogs. I hope DVM is manageable with the right meds. I hope they haven't given you an expectancy of life. I hope things actually get better. You are very strong...I admire all your decision making and your willingness to persevere. I will wait to see how others react but my husband and I might do an online fundraiser for Jimmy if we can find one that has acceptable terms. I will forward info to you because there are many websites that are useful for veterinary assistance financially.

Hugs for Legs and all of you! Get some sleep, you've been living this nightmare of not knowing, now you know. It might not be wine and roses but you may be able to make changes to keep him around a few more years! <3

Bow Wow Wow Yippie Yo Yippie Yay :)

Siggy4.jpg

Johanna with hounds: Woodie (Molly's Marvin) (Grenade X Kh Molly) and Petra (Make Her a Pet) (Dodgem By Design X Late Nite Oasis)

and forever missing Hurley (Jel Try Out) (Gable Dodge X Kings Teresa) with Kalapaki Beach in Kauai as the background

Treatment plan?
Vetmedin 2x a day, no running or strenuous exercise, recheck in 3-4 months. Instructions on where to bring him if he collapses when my vet is closed :( unfortunately both my vet & the emergency center are 30 mins away. this med is $87 for 16 days which is insane. I need to find a cheaper place to get it.

I am glad to finally have a dx, but kind of in shock. I didn't really get a clear answer from the vets today what his prognosis is & reading online it doesn't sound good at all. The vet tech gave me a hug which scared me since the last time she did that was when Riley was dxed with osteo...

I feel your pain. Ace's Leukeran is $10 PER PILL and she takes TEN pills every other week.

I too need to see if there's some way to get it cheaper.

:grouphug

Kristin in Moline, IL USA with Ozzie (MRL Crusin Clem), Clarice (Clarice McBones), Latte and Sage the IGs, and the kitties: Violet and Rose
Lovingly Remembered: Sutra (Fliowa Sutra) 12/02/97-10/12/10, Pinky (Pick Me) 04/20/03-11/19/12, Fritz (Fritz Fire) 02/05/01 - 05/20/13, Ace (Fantastic Ace) 02/05/01 - 07/05/13, and Carrie (Takin the Crumbs) 05/08/99 - 09/04/13.

A cure for cancer can't come soon enough.--

Lucy, I'm so sorry for Legs' diagnosis. I don't know much about CHF, except from what I've read here. It seems like some cases progress more quickly than others so there's no way to really know what will happen. Hopefully at least now that you have a diagnosis you can focus on making as many good memories as you can with Legs and hopefully you're doing that for years to come.

I think it sucks that it took so long for you to, in the end, get a crappy diagnosis. Wish there were something more I could do. :( Just sending some virtual hugs your way. :grouphug

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

Vetmedin 2x a day, no running or strenuous exercise, recheck in 3-4 months. Instructions on where to bring him if he collapses when my vet is closed :( unfortunately both my vet & the emergency center are 30 mins away. this med is $87 for 16 days which is insane. I need to find a cheaper place to get it.

I believe this is a drug that Mary Pat (MP_the4pack) gave her Pearl. If she doesn't see this to tell you where she got hers, you might want to message her.

My thoughts are prayers are with you and Legs.

Jane

I've been catching up on this topic all day today and am just in time for your final diagnosis. I feel so bad since I've been wallowing in self pity because I have to pay for osteosarcoma care for our newly adopted 10.5 yr old and it looks like everybody here has health issues that take up a good chunk of money. I don't mean to be heartless but money getting thrown around for a consult, a diagnosis, a hopefully effective treatment.....gets me angry when I have debt already up the wazoo. And look at you, Lucy, plodding along for months and months, probably spending a lot of your savings. Sometimes I just want to ask for the cheapest way to get quality care. But we live and learn.

I don't know anything about heart problems in dogs. I hope DVM is manageable with the right meds. I hope they haven't given you an expectancy of life. I hope things actually get better. You are very strong...I admire all your decision making and your willingness to persevere. I will wait to see how others react but my husband and I might do an online fundraiser for Jimmy if we can find one that has acceptable terms. I will forward info to you because there are many websites that are useful for veterinary assistance financially.

Hugs for Legs and all of you! Get some sleep, you've been living this nightmare of not knowing, now you know. It might not be wine and roses but you may be able to make changes to keep him around a few more years! <3

I haven't done anything that anyone here wouldn't do. And when I look back, I made a lot of mistakes :( I accepted that he was just sensitive to heat, when I should have known it was more than that. I feel SO LUCKY that he didn't drop dead because I've taken him on long hikes, running with me, let him chase a lure, play fetch, etc. Most of the time he was fine but occasionally he would have an episode. But I know hindsight is 20/20 and if all those vets couldn't diagnose him, then how could i have.

I thankfully decided to get pet insurance for him, so that has helped quite a bit. I'm so sorry that you are facing another pup w/ osteo, that is just so unfair. I will keep you guys & Jimmy in my thoughts :grouphug

Lucy, I'm so sorry for Legs' diagnosis. I don't know much about CHF, except from what I've read here. It seems like some cases progress more quickly than others so there's no way to really know what will happen. Hopefully at least now that you have a diagnosis you can focus on making as many good memories as you can with Legs and hopefully you're doing that for years to come.

I think it sucks that it took so long for you to, in the end, get a crappy diagnosis. Wish there were something more I could do. :( Just sending some virtual hugs your way. :grouphug

Thanks so much Jen. I am hopeful that he has a lot of quality time left. We will def be cherishing every moment and maybe I'll finally give in to his pleas to sleep in bed with me :)

I believe this is a drug that Mary Pat (MP_the4pack) gave her Pearl. If she doesn't see this to tell you where she got hers, you might want to message her.

My thoughts are prayers are with you and Legs.

Jane

Great, thanks so much. I will definitely message her.

I was just reading over some info my vet gave me & it says vetmedin is prescribed for dogs in the later stage of dcm :cry1

I wouldn't necessarily put much stock in that, unless your vet specifically told you Legs in in the later stages of DCM. Not sure what literature your vet gave you, but when Vetmedin first came out, it was mostly added in as a later medication when heart disease became more advanced. But more and more, cardiologists are starting to use it earlier in the course of disease and for other symptoms.

Did the cardiologist give you any assessment of how severe/advanced Legs' DCM is at this point? They should be able to tell how well his heart is functioning based on the ultrasound.

Jennifer &

Willow (Wilma Waggle), Wiki (Wiki Hard Ten), Carter (Let's Get It On),

Ollie (whippet), Gracie (whippet x), & Terra (whippet) + Just Saying + Just Alice

gtsig3.jpg

I wouldn't necessarily put much stock in that, unless your vet specifically told you Legs in in the later stages of DCM. Not sure what literature your vet gave you, but when Vetmedin first came out, it was mostly added in as a later medication when heart disease became more advanced. But more and more, cardiologists are starting to use it earlier in the course of disease and for other symptoms.

Did the cardiologist give you any assessment of how severe/advanced Legs' DCM is at this point? They should be able to tell how well his heart is functioning based on the ultrasound.

ok, good to know ,thank you. This wasn't a cardiologist, it was a radiologist. He didn't really answer that question, just said we will re-check and see how he is in 4 months.

This wasn't a cardiologist, it was a radiologist. He didn't really answer that question, just said we will re-check and see how he is in 4 months.

Are you not seeing the cardiologist to manage his DCM?

Jennifer &

Ollie (whippet), Gracie (whippet x), & Terra (whippet) + Just Saying + Just Alice

gtsig3.jpg

Ah, ok. I thought you had actually seen a cardiologist. Is the radiologist willing to also consult with the cardiologist your vet has been talking to about Legs? I'd be more comfortable with a cardiologist on board with treatment recommendations, rather than just relying on a radiologist (whose advanced training is not in treatment protocols).

Jennifer &

gtsig3.jpg

Lucy, I'm sorry your having to go through this with Legs. Trust me I know how you feel

:(.

I am glad to finally have a dx, but kind of in shock. I didn't really get a clear answer from the vets today what his prognosis is & reading online it doesn't sound good at all. The vet tech gave me a hug which scared me since the last time she did that was when Riley was dxed with osteo...

I feel your pain. Ace's Leukeran is $10 PER PILL and she takes TEN pills every other week.

I too need to see if there's some way to get it cheaper.

:grouphug

If you haven't already check with SBH Medical Compounding pharmacy in Worthington, OH. I've gotten the best prices from them for both Bruiser's and Beanie's chemo drugs.

Kristin, does Ace have to be on Leukeran specifically or could she take the generic chlorambucil? When I was pricing this for Beanie, which on the chemo regimen she is on requires (3) doses of 34mgs each I was looking at a cost of $600. I had my vet call SBH and they compounded the drug into (6) 17mg capsules so I didn't have to handle so many and the best part is with shipping included the total price came to $96

Lucy, our Jack passed away due DCM (or complications of it) back in June last year. He was on Vetmedin, Fortekor and Furosemide initiially and then added Amiodarone after his irregular heartbeat started. We had him diagnosed in Nov. 2011 and similar to you, kick ourselves as there were signs sooner but we just did not see them. Now Jack's heart had gotten quite large very quickly and looking back we now realize it materialized and progressed very quickly with him. His 6+mths after his diagnosis was all good, with the exception of one episode, outside laying on the deck and we heard a noise and saw him get up and stagger. He didn't seem to walk right after initially so we called our local vet at home and rushed him in. After a discussion of about 30 minutes, it was decided there was not a lot more we could do for Jack other than possibly an aspirin dosage.

Why am I writing all this? I guess what I'm saying is Jack's condition was quite bad and yet it did not affect his life and yes we have regrets that we did not notice it sooner and get him on meds quicker as that may have gave him more time with us. I hope Legs has many, many more months/years with you as unfortunately one never knows the future.

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Gus an coinnich sinn a'rithist my boys and little girl.

Lucy, our Jack passed away due DCM (or complications of it) back in June last year. He was on Vetmedin, Fortekor and Furosemide initiially and then added Amiodarone after his irregular heartbeat started. We had him diagnosed in Nov. 2011 and similar to you, kick ourselves as there were signs sooner but we just did not see them. Now Jack's heart had gotten quite large very quickly and looking back we now realize it materialized and progressed very quickly with him. His 6+mths after his diagnosis was all good, with the exception of one episode, outside laying on the deck and we heard a noise and saw him get up and stagger. He didn't seem to walk right after initially so we called our local vet at home and rushed him in. After a discussion of about 30 minutes, it was decided there was not a lot more we could do for Jack other than possibly an aspirin dosage.

Why am I writing all this? I guess what I'm saying is Jack's condition was quite bad and yet it did not affect his life and yes we have regrets that we did not notice it sooner and get him on meds quicker as that may have gave him more time with us. I hope Legs has many, many more months/years with you as unfortunately one never knows the future.

Thank you so much for sharing your experience w/ Jack :grouphug You are right, any one of us can go at any time, so I am going to have to try to contain my anxiety. For now, Legs is certainly not suffering or in any kind of distress when hanging out at home. I am pretty sure the radiologist said his heart is w/in a normal size range for greyhounds, so that is promising. I have never heard him cough other than when he hacks up some food every once in awhile. So that is all good signs. His water drinking is a bit concerning but I don't even know for sure it's related. Anyway, thank you again for your post, it is very helpful to hear of another greyhound with the same condition and that he was happy up until the end. That is my biggest concern, as I cannot stand the thought of letting my pets suffer even for a day.

I dreamed about Riley last night, the first time in a very long time. I was initially sad when I woke up, but it seems like it was a good dream. He was swimming in the ocean and having so much fun. I am not very spiritual at all, but it feels like he was reminding me to cherish every moment. :)

Lucy, I'm sorry your having to go through this with Legs. Trust me I know how you feel

:(.

If you haven't already check with SBH Medical Compounding pharmacy in Worthington, OH. I've gotten the best prices from them for both Bruiser's and Beanie's chemo drugs.

Kristin, does Ace have to be on Leukeran specifically or could she take the generic chlorambucil? When I was pricing this for Beanie, which on the chemo regimen she is on requires (3) doses of 34mgs each I was looking at a cost of $600. I had my vet call SBH and they compounded the drug into (6) 17mg capsules so I didn't have to handle so many and the best part is with shipping included the total price came to $96

I also use SBH--quality customer care and greyt prices too. OSU recommended them to me. My girl is on Chlorambucil 5mgs--After overnight shipping I pay $4/capsule.

I will also second the SBH compounding pharmacy. It is local to me, so I would stop by. They absolutely love having their patients stop by in canine. My kids get lots of pets and treats when they visit.

If my memory is correct, I think I got 10 leukeran capsules for about $35. I don't remember the dosage. This was for Twistmas, my whippet mix who was a little more than half the size of a greyhound. I do know that the price for capsule goes down dramatically if you order more -- in other words, there is a set up fee that you pay whether you order one capsule or 50. Also, since most of the cost is in the labor, I would think that it wouldn't be horribly more expensive to get a larger dosage capsule.

I also liked that they put the meds in the smallest capsule they could, even though it was more difficult to work with.

In regards to the vetmedin, I had thought that Mary Pat had not needed to get it compounded -- that it was available in the appropriate size. If so, I would think it would be cheaper getting it from a non-compounding pharmacy.

I have used Allivet for Shelby's Denamarin and fortiflora. They are very quick and the meds appear to be the same and are not expired. I have not ordered prescription meds from here though. They also carry vetmedin (pimobendan) for $53 for 50 5mg tablets. If you search online for an Allivet coupon code, you can save $3. I don't know what shipping to Hawaii would be.

http://www.allivet.com/p-2500-vetmedin.aspx?utm_source=MSN&utm_medium=CPC&utm_content=Vetmedin&utm_campaign=General

They also carry the 1.25 mg size. They do not appear to have the 2.5 mg size. I did a quick search and it appears the price for 50 5mg tablets ranges from $53 to close to $100.

Hope this helps you.

Jane

Edited by joejoesmom

Thank you so much Jane. I paid $87 for 50 5mg tablets. i didnt even really know what compounding meant :lol But you are right, it is available in the appropriate size. Right now Legs is taking 7.5 mg (1.5 pills) 2x/day, & the pills are already scored to easily split them in half so that is no problem. I emailed his insurance to ask them if his meds will be covered & how it works. I will figure something out...

Thanks again for looking into it for me, that was so nice of you!

I was just reading over some info my vet gave me & it says vetmedin is prescribed for dogs in the later stage of dcm :cry1

Um WRONG!

Pearl didn't even have it. She just had changes in her heart that were not good. And this drug did improve her heart, she was on it only 5 months though before cancer robbed her of life.

It's been three years since I bought VETMEDIN but while it was expensive, it wasn't what you are paying for it. It's a dog med, so I dont' think I got it at Costco, but you can give it a try. And Jane is right, it was scored so that all I had to do was break it. I think she was on 1 1/2 pills a day, I do remember breaking them in half.

I'll take a look to see if I can find where I got the meds. In the meantime google it. There are places around.

Please keep thinking positive, he may have many years.

Mary Pat

Edited by MP_the4pack