Legs Has Dilated Cardiomyopathy

Lucy, I'm sorry, that has to be so incredibly frustrating. I basically never want to move to Hawaii after following this saga. :P

I hope the heart monitor gets you some answers. I'm presuming you'll be allowed to take him to the park to let him run and/or for a long walk while he's wearing it so you can potentially induce an episode?

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

• Replies 323
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is the heart monitor test a Holter? It's essentially a 24-hr EKG. Arrhythmias can be difficult to diagnose because they don't happen all the time. This might be why it wasn't detected at at any of his previous vet visits. Hopefully the newest tests will provide more information.

I think so. That is interesting info about arrhythmias that would have been nice of any of the vets to share. She did say that exercise induced arrhythmias (which is what she suspects is going on w/ Legs) are problematic because medication is not usually advised for intermittent issues b/c the side effects can actually cause arrhythmias. Great.

Lucy, I'm sorry, that has to be so incredibly frustrating. I basically never want to move to Hawaii after following this saga. :P

I hope the heart monitor gets you some answers. I'm presuming you'll be allowed to take him to the park to let him run and/or for a long walk while he's wearing it so you can potentially induce an episode?

Seriously! I love it here but nobody seems to know anything about greyhounds!

Yes, I'd be allowed to take him walking and to the park, although she did say the vest that holds all the wires it is a bit cumbersome and restrictive so some dogs just freeze while wearing it. That will be Legs for sure. He wouldn't even walk w/ a little wrap on his leg :rolleyes: So we shall see. Should be interesting... Hopefully we can do it SOON.

Thanks again for all the posts everyone. Means a lot to me!! :)

This sounds like what my girl has. At this point the vet has told me to watch her and keep track of the episodes. If they get to be too frequent then we can consider medication, but right now it is not indicated. Another option is a pace maker, but not sure I'm willing to put my girl through that. Right now she still plays in the yard and seems to know when to slow down. The scarey thing is I know I could wake up one morning and find her gone. :sad1 But, she is not in pain and seems to be enjoying her life so I just give her lots of love and monitor what I can.

Good luck. Hope you know something for sure soon.

june

Oh, Lucy! I had this HUGE post composed fearing exactly what happened yesterday and then wimped out and just sent good wishes. I was ssooo afraid that yesterday's appointment would result in more frustration, but you have received some good advice about the heart monitor from those who have had experience. Not sure how you feel about all the "players" involved in Legs care, but like a hospitalist for people, you may want to ask/appoint one of them as the go-to Vet for coordinating all the info, mapping a plan and answering your questions. I just cannot imagine 2.5 years of frustration, but I know that you will work it all out eventually.

Linda, Mom to Fuzz, Barkley, and the felines Miss Kitty, Simon and Joseph.Waiting at The Bridge: Alex, Josh, Harley, Nikki, Beemer, Anna, Frank, Rachel, my heart & soul, Suze and the best boy ever, Dalton.<p>

:candle ....for all those hounds that are sick, hurt, lost or waiting for their forever homes. SENIORS ROCK :rivethead

This sounds like what my girl has. At this point the vet has told me to watch her and keep track of the episodes. If they get to be too frequent then we can consider medication, but right now it is not indicated. Another option is a pace maker, but not sure I'm willing to put my girl through that. Right now she still plays in the yard and seems to know when to slow down. The scarey thing is I know I could wake up one morning and find her gone. :sad1 But, she is not in pain and seems to be enjoying her life so I just give her lots of love and monitor what I can.

Good luck. Hope you know something for sure soon.

june

Interesting, thanks so much for posting. How old is your girl? What are her episodes like? It makes sense to let him self-regulate his exercise, but we don't have a yard that he can play in, so it's hard. At the dog park I know other dogs push him to run too much, and then it's quite terrifying watching him struggle to even stand. If we go for walks, it's hard to know how far is too far... sometimes he'll be perfectly fine and then another time on the exact same walk he'll start collapsing.

Oh, Lucy! I had this HUGE post composed fearing exactly what happened yesterday and then wimped out and just sent good wishes. I was ssooo afraid that yesterday's appointment would result in more frustration, but you have received some good advice about the heart monitor from those who have had experience. Not sure how you feel about all the "players" involved in Legs care, but like a hospitalist for people, you may want to ask/appoint one of them as the go-to Vet for coordinating all the info, mapping a plan and answering your questions. I just cannot imagine 2.5 years of frustration, but I know that you will work it all out eventually.

Thanks, this is a good idea. I am going to contact our regular vet today and see what she thinks, and hopefully she can help me coordinate everything and be the one to administer the 24 hr test. This new place I took him the last 2 times is a brand new emergency and referral hospital with supposedly the best care on this island. But they don't know Legs, it's ridiculously expensive, and an hour away. I hope not to go back there. I love my regular vet, she truly cares about each patient, and is very mindful of the expense of each treatment. But she doesn't know much about greyhounds. She is always willing to listen to any of my ideas and consult with others, though, so I am going to stick with her.

Thanks everyone!!

Don't get your hopes up on the Holter monitor either. DH wore one and his heart behaved perfectly while wearing it. He has a mitral valve prolapse and it makes his heart flutter and pound at different times, but the monitor has never been able to detect it. So you could be disappointed again and still in the dark.

And the plot thickens! Just spoke with the vet from yesterday on the phone. She said when she took Legs in the back to do the blood draw & u/a & he got nervous/excited she did detect an arrhythmia. So she is ordering the Holter test.

She also said his bloodwork shows elevated creatinine & his urine is very dilute. She was talking about early kidney disease but I'm not convinced at all. I asked her to get his previous bloodwork to compare bc I think this maybe be a case of greyhound normal. In any case they're going to do a urine culture. She didn't seem to think that increased drinking & peeing would have anything to do w heart probs.

She said she is going to coordinate w our regular vet & set everything up so that is good. :)

Ok, it sounds like there's more than one issue now, but the kidney issue is one to which I can speak with experience. I totally agree with your statement about comparing previous blood test results. The big players in diagnosing kidney disease are: Urine concentration, kidney function (creatinine, BUN, BUN/Creatinine ratio, albumin), UPC (urine protein/creatinine ratio) and to a lesser extent: protein and/or blood in the urine. I am sure that you have read the stories of others whose dogs have been mis-dx'd with kidney disease just because of elevated creatinine alone. You have blood test/UA results from the past, and it sounds like they are being repeated presently, so if there is any question, results from the tests mentioned above, including the very important UPC, should go a long way toward getting answers.

Urine culture is only to detect bacteria, identify it in order to choose the appropriate antibiotic, not to diagnose kidney disease. While infection can cause kidney disease/failure, it's not on my list of front line tests to run unless there are other indicators that infection is present.

If you can keep everyone involved communicating and coordinating, answers shouldn't be too far away! Be prepared to be a cheerleader, traffic cop and event coordinator! It's all going to come together! I just know it will!

Linda, Mom to Fuzz, Barkley, and the felines Miss Kitty, Simon and Joseph.Waiting at The Bridge: Alex, Josh, Harley, Nikki, Beemer, Anna, Frank, Rachel, my heart & soul, Suze and the best boy ever, Dalton.<p>

:candle ....for all those hounds that are sick, hurt, lost or waiting for their forever homes. SENIORS ROCK :rivethead

Thank you Linda, that is great info. I will be very surprised if he actually has kidney probs, but what do I know. I think a UTI is possible, though. If she still thinks there are kidney issues after comparing his last bloodwork, I will get a copy of everything & run it by you guys.

The Holter monitor test should be quite the adventure :flip

My vet is so smart. I am going to pick up the vest that Legs will have to wear for the Holter test today, so he can get used to it over the weekend. I'll have him sleep in it tonight and see how that goes. I haven't heard anything else about his bloodwork or urine culture.

eta: here he is in the vest. He won't move off this rug :(

C2BB394E-1E9D-4880-A480-7BFF49AE3902-252-0000000E1A7170EC-2.jpg

Edited by RileysLegacy

Oh, he looks like, "Really??? It's just a joke, right Mom??!!" Well of course he won't move off the rug! Can't you see those magnetic fields going from the vest through his feet and into the floor, making it impossible for him to move? :rolleyes:

He sure is a handsome guy!

He'll be okay. It just takes some getting used to. I know I shouldn't laugh, but his expression made me giggle. I saw it on Shadow when I made him wear pants after a surgery on his leg. :):wub:

Jenn, missing Shadow (Wickford Big Tom), Pretty Girl (C's Pretty) and Tori (Santoria)

He's already mastered sleeping in it! :yay:lol But moving normally with it on will take some work. I was pleasantly surprised how well it fits his body shape. Extra treats should help the situation :)

That's what Burpdogs are for, right? :lol Good luck with the test. I really hope you're able to get some answers soon.

Paula & her pups--Paneer (WW Outlook Ladd), Kira & Rhett (the whippets)
Forever in my heart...Tinsel (Born's Bounder - 11/9/90-12/18/01), Piper, Chevy, Keno, Zuma, Little One, Phaelin & Winnie
Greyhound Adoption Center ~ So Cal rep for Whippet Rescue And Placement

For beautiful beaded collars, check out my Facebook page: The Swanky Hound

• 3 weeks later...

omg Legs is FINALLY getting the Holter test done. It took forever to get here & then my vet was away for a week. He is getting it put on on Thurs. I took the day off so I can take him for a long walk, to the park, etc. The good thing is that he's totally used to wearing the vest so hopefully adding the wires wont be too much of a shock to him. I have no idea when I will know the results, hopefully by early next week. I can't take the waiting anymore!!

Wow! I hoped that your post would have been test results, not test initiation! I'm sure he will do just fine! Keeping everything crossed for an uneventful test. Hang in there.............

Glad you're finally moving forward with this. And it's great htat he's used to the vest! Fingers crossed that you get some answers!

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

:heart :heart

52D26480-13FA-4884-B02A-4A2510E1512D-211

he's being such a good boy about wearing the vest & wires! The little pack holding the battery keeps falling off, but I am keeping a close eye on him. I took him to the park and we jogged around a bit. I am so thankful I had so much time to prepare him and get him used to the vest otherwise this would have been a disaster. Now hopefully it will actually tell us something! The test has to be sent back so I prob won't know anything until late next week at the earliest :(

The one good thing is that he's so bald that he did not have to be shaved :P

Awww..what a great picture...he looks really happy in his vest!!

Oh and Fingers crossed for good news!!

gallery_4518_2903_10272.jpg
Donna and...Lucy and Chubb
Rascal H 10/1/91-5/22/04 My best friend and Bounty Boon 1/23/99-6/25/07 My boy with the biggest heart
Cody 7/28/99-8/1/13 My boy that always made me laugh and Dylan 5/12/04-12/29/2017 The sweetest boy ever

Miss Mollie 1/1/99-1/30/15 and Pixie :heart:heart-10/10/2017 Lincoln :heart-2/14/2021

Many good thoughts!

gallery_22387_3315_35426.jpg

Robin, EZ (Tribal Track), JJ (What a Story), Dustin (E's Full House) and our beautiful Jack (Mana Black Jack) and Lily (Chip's Little Miss Lily) both at the Bridge
The WFUBCC honors our beautiful friends at the bridge. Godspeed sweet angels.