Legs Has Dilated Cardiomyopathy

The Vetmedin is a med to make the heart beat stronger. An enlarged heart doesn't work effectively. Mousie is on it, she doesn't have CHF but she has both left chambers of her heart enlarged. The left side is the side that pumps blood to the body so it has to work and work well. Vetmedin is only available for human use in Japan, it's strictly a veterinary med in this country so chances are no pharmacy will carry it.

Angie, Pewter, and Storm-puppy

Forever missing Misty-Mousie (9/9/99 - 10/5/15)
Fort Wayne, Indiana

• Replies 323
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Vetmedin is a med to make the heart beat stronger. An enlarged heart doesn't work effectively. Mousie is on it, she doesn't have CHF but she has both left chambers of her heart enlarged. The left side is the side that pumps blood to the body so it has to work and work well. Vetmedin is only available for human use in Japan, it's strictly a veterinary med in this country so chances are no pharmacy will carry it.

I will say that some human pharmacies around here (Kroger is one) are carrying veterinary medicines. However so far I have found them to be more expensive than the mail order veterinary pharmacies. That being said, I have never asked them for something as specific as Vetmedin -- just Deramaxx, heartguard, etc.

Jane

Guest grey_dreams

Agree that you really need to working closely with at least one cardiologist. You could also send the results of the ultrasound to OSU GHAWP for a consult.

As far as I know, some cases progress rapidly and some progress slowly. Good that a recheck is scheduled for four months from the first. Have you started giving Coenzyme Q10, carnitine, and taurine? Those will help him. I would also give an antioxidant/anti-free radical formula.

Would suggest no more running for Legs, and only walk when it is cooler. No long walks during the heat of the day.

Hope that Legs responds well to the Vetmedin.

I will say that some human pharmacies around here (Kroger is one) are carrying veterinary medicines. However so far I have found them to be more expensive than the mail order veterinary pharmacies. That being said, I have never asked them for something as specific as Vetmedin -- just Deramaxx, heartguard, etc.

Jane

Allivet seems to have one of the best prices. If I order a month at a time (100 pills), the shipping is free & saves about $40 per month from what my vet charges. Also Healthy Paws said they will cover it, so that is a huge relief! I will only have to pay about $10 per month for his meds :yay (of course i pay Healthy Paws $50 per month, but I think it has paid off this year!).

I will email my vet to ask about those supplements and to make sure she has consulted the cardiologist. I am very hopeful that Legs has a slow progessing case since I've been noticing symptoms for years. But he is definitely getting worse, and he is drinking so much water! His heart is still within normal size range for a greyhound, it's just not contracting properly, and some blood is leaking back into the chambers when it pumps :(

Jane

I checked my Kroger here last month. They have her Enalapril and her Tramadol but not Vetmedin :( Our Target doesn't have vet meds, I check periodically because some do. Our Meijer store doesn't either. My vet doesn't authorize mail order pharmacies, they have concerns about the way the meds may be warehoused, shipped and their origins. I'm sure it's also to keep as much $ coming in to the clinic as possible too, it is a business after all with its own bills to pay.

Angie, Pewter, and Storm-puppy

Forever missing Misty-Mousie (9/9/99 - 10/5/15)
Fort Wayne, Indiana

How is Legs doing?

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Gus an coinnich sinn a'rithist my boys and little girl.

I was hoping to find an update today. I hope that all is well. Hugs again to Legs and his wonderful family!!

Bow Wow Wow Yippie Yo Yippie Yay :)

Siggy4.jpg

Johanna with hounds: Woodie (Molly's Marvin) (Grenade X Kh Molly) and Petra (Make Her a Pet) (Dodgem By Design X Late Nite Oasis)

and forever missing Hurley (Jel Try Out) (Gable Dodge X Kings Teresa) with Kalapaki Beach in Kauai as the background

Sorry guys. I meant to update. Legs is doing pretty well. The vetmedin has been upsetting his tummy a little but I added some probiotics that seem to be helping. He's still drinking a ton of water and has peed rivers inside a few times :( Thankfully we've had nice cool breezy weather the last few weeks so he is able to go for some decent walks. We go to the empty dog park in the mornings sometimes too which is good b/c he can self-regulate his exercise. Some days he seems exhausted after 10 mins of just sniffing around, other days he lasts longer. It's strange how sometimes he is fine but other times not doing the exact same thing.

I'm really dreading summer for him. I don't know what I'm going to do to keep him from going stir-crazy.

Guest grey_dreams

As far as I know, it's really difficult for vets or anyone to predict what will happen. Have you discussed the increased water consumption and peeing with the cardiologist? If not, it would probably be good to do so. Just love on Legs as much as you can and treasure each moment.

:( :( :(

I wish I had useful suggestions for your boy.

For summer activities, do you think he might have any interest in puzzle toys, where he has to work to get a treat out?

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

:( :( :(

I wish I had useful suggestions for your boy.

For summer activities, do you think he might have any interest in puzzle toys, where he has to work to get a treat out?

I think he's too dumb :lol I have one of those balls where they have to roll it to get the treat & Puzzle is the only one of my dogs who understands. But maybe there is another kind I could try.

They have a lot here: http://www.jefferspet.com/interactive-toys/camid/PET/cc/100222/action/showall/

Joseph learned the tornado (Nina Ottoson game) even though he didn't catch on to the treat ball either. He thought the idea with the treat ball was, tear a hole in the side. I think NeylasMom has had some of the other Nina Ottoson toys so she could maybe give some guidance.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

We have a couple and both Ben and Brooke love them. We also have a ball that dispenses treats when you roll it and Ben could care less, yet he loves the Nina Ottoson toy.

Jan with precious pups Emmy (Stormin J Flag) and Simon (Nitro Si) and Abbey Field.  Missing my angels: Bailey Buffetbobleclair 11/11/98-17/12/09; Ben Task Rapid Wave 5/5/02-2/11/15; Brooke Glo's Destroyer 7/09/06-21/06/16 and Katie Crazykatiebug 12/11/06 -21/08/21. My blog about grief The reality is that you will grieve forever. You will not get over the loss of a loved one; you will learn to live with it. You will rebuild yourself around the loss you have suffered. You will be whole again but you will never be the same. Nor should you be the same, nor would you want to. Elisabeth Kübler-Ross

Ouch, poor boy. They can really tear at their skin if they keep licking the same spot.

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Gus an coinnich sinn a'rithist my boys and little girl.

Oh, that looks oweeee!

My first greyhound Teala (15yrs ago) did that to her inner thighs. I never figured out why, but I did figure out how to make a pair of cowboy "chaps" for her to wear.

take a mans long sleeve shirt - I think i cut around the neck, eventually using the neck pieces as tie straps - the dogs legs go into each sleeve. this was a down and dirty -- desperate --- attempt at keeping her legs from becoming raw and it worked!

i bet someone else has a better option - but this could work for you.

Good luck!

oh and i found a Hydrocortisone spray from Hartz at my grocery store - maybe at Pets Mart or equiv. as well - that really worked to keep the itching down, and allow the hotspot to heal.

Oxydoc should work as well to neutralize the open sore and not sting - and help with healing.

lorinda, mom to the ever revolving door of Foster greyhounds

Always in my heart: Teala (LC Sweet Dream) , Pepton, Darbee-Do (Hey Barb) , Rascal (Abitta Rascal), Power (Beyond the Power), and the miracle boy LAZER (2/21/14), Spirit (Bitter Almonds) 8/14

Oh, that looks oweeee!

My first greyhound Teala (15yrs ago) did that to her inner thighs. I never figured out why, but I did figure out how to make a pair of cowboy "chaps" for her to wear.

take a mans long sleeve shirt - I think i cut around the neck, eventually using the neck pieces as tie straps - the dogs legs go into each sleeve. this was a down and dirty -- desperate --- attempt at keeping her legs from becoming raw and it worked!

i bet someone else has a better option - but this could work for you.

Good luck!

oh and i found a Hydrocortisone spray from Hartz at my grocery store - maybe at Pets Mart or equiv. as well - that really worked to keep the itching down, and allow the hotspot to heal.

Oxydoc should work as well to neutralize the open sore and not sting - and help with healing.

Thanks! My vet also mentioned using a long sleeve shirt. I know Legs would HATE that, but i may try it anyway. I've been muzzling him again when I leave, but I really hate doing that, esp now that I know he has a heart problem. I actually haven't seen him licking, so I'm wondering if he has a skin infection. I gave him a medicated bath yesterday so hopefully that will help. I have a whole drawer full of sprays & ointments for hot spots/wounds from the last time...

Guest grey_dreams

FWIW: Zuki also started cycles of obsessive licking/bacterial skin infections on his back leg. Antibiotics would clear it up, but as soon as the antibiotics stopped it would start up again. We did three cycles of antibiotics and it never cured the problem and I refused to put him on another round of antibiotics. I was reading and studying a lot about heart disease and what happens in the body. I found that the metabolism is very prone to becoming acidic for several reasons. Acidic metabolism/acidic skin pH = susceptibility to skin disorders/infections. What really worked for us was this: Garden of Life Perfect Food Raw Organic Green Superfood. The phyto compounds keep the metabolism alkaline, and that has whole-body benefits for metabolism/skin/immune system. He was also getting an antioxidant/anti-free radical formula and Coeznyme Q10. Once I started adding the raw vegetable powder to every meal, his skin wounds healed in less than a week (I could see it starting to dry up within a couple of days, and he stopped licking it). I did an experiment where I stopped the powder, and the wounds and obsessive licking returned. Added the powder again and the wounds and licking healed again. I kept him on the powder for the rest of his life and the wounds never appeared again.

Edited to add: Sulfur is crucial for skin integrity. Does he get a joint supplement with MSM? MSM is the most readily bioavailable form of sulfur. Zuki was getting a joint supplement too.

Edited by grey_dreams

FWIW: Zuki also started cycles of obsessive licking/bacterial skin infections on his back leg. Antibiotics would clear it up, but as soon as the antibiotics stopped it would start up again. We did three cycles of antibiotics and it never cured the problem and I refused to put him on another round of antibiotics. I was reading and studying a lot about heart disease and what happens in the body. I found that the metabolism is very prone to becoming acidic for several reasons. Acidic metabolism/acidic skin pH = susceptibility to skin disorders/infections. What really worked for us was this: Garden of Life Perfect Food Raw Organic Green Superfood. The phyto compounds keep the metabolism alkaline, and that has whole-body benefits for metabolism/skin/immune system. He was also getting an antioxidant/anti-free radical formula and Coeznyme Q10. Once I started adding the raw vegetable powder to every meal, his skin wounds healed in less than a week (I could see it starting to dry up within a couple of days, and he stopped licking it). I did an experiment where I stopped the powder, and the wounds and obsessive licking returned. Added the powder again and the wounds and licking healed again. I kept him on the powder for the rest of his life and the wounds never appeared again.

Edited to add: Sulfur is crucial for skin integrity. Does he get a joint supplement with MSM? MSM is the most readily bioavailable form of sulfur. Zuki was getting a joint supplement too.

very interesting, thank you. I am going to order the superfood stuff. The medicated bath seems to have helped a lot, I will give him another one this weekend.