Three Greyhounds Lost To Us Due To Hurricane Isaac

Charlies_Dad

To the families of those that lost their pups due to the storm. I am so very sorry. May time heal the pain and memories make you smile.

Thor, struck by a car.

Lucy, died of heatstroke.

Guiness, died of injuries.

May they all find their way across the bridge, play in the golden fields and await their owners to come to them one day.

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Gus an coinnich sinn a'rithist my boys and little girl.

Guest jettcricket

Oh how tragic...i heard about Lucy on FB, but didn't know about the other babies. So totally heartbreaking. :cry1 I can't even begin to imagine what their people are going thru.

A fourth was lost and, happily, found.

I have been dwelling on these four cases for days. What can we do about this? I know a broken fence was involved in one of the cases. Crates? Benadryl/sedatives?

Can folks who have successfully made it through large storms like a hurricane please list ways you've kept your dogs safe and calm?

Donna
Molly the Border Collie & Poquita the American-born Podenga

Bridge Babies: Daisy (Positive Delta) 8/7/2000 - 4/6/2115, Agnes--angel Sage's baby (Regall Rosario) 11/12/01 - 12/18/13, Lucky the mix (Found, w 10 puppies 8/96-Bridge 7/28/11, app. age 16) & CoCo (Cosmo Comet) 12/28/89-5/4/04

Guest Yankeegreyhound

A fourth was lost and, happily, found.

I have been dwelling on these four cases for days. What can we do about this? I know a broken fence was involved in one of the cases. Crates? Benadryl/sedatives?

Can folks who have successfully made it through large storms like a hurricane please list ways you've kept your dogs safe and calm?

It's so very tragic. My thoughts and prayers go out to those families.

We had a hurricane last year that hit Long Island. We tried to be prepared for every event we could think of. I'd been through other hurricanes so I was hoping I knew what to expect. We were lucky in that we didn't get a direct hit like they had predicted.

I had survival kits for all members of the family including the animals. I had a doggy first aid kit too. I made sure I had extra food and took into account water for the animals when we bought our supplies. I made the dogs go out several times before the storm so hopefully, they wouldn't have to go during the worst of it. They didn't. Then, during the eye, I took them out again, on leash, in the backyard. I made sure that everyone, including the dogs, stayed out of our living room because I was afraid of a tree falling. Sara was pissed but she got over it. I could never live with myself if that tree in front fell and got her. We were lucky in that we only lost power for about 24 hours and it didn't get too hot. We didn't have to evacuate but I had a plan if we did. Plan A was to go to my parents on the north shore. They are on higher ground. Plan B, which of course is extreme, if we had to leave the island, we'd take 2 cars in case we couldn't find a pet friendly hotel. One of use would sleep in the car with the animals.

ETA - after the storm, we checked the backyard for problems with the fence and for any debris that someone would walk on.

Luckily, Hailey's storm phobia didn't kick in but I would have dealt with that how we always do and if necessary, sit in the bathroom with her. She was always calmer in there.

Edited by Yankeegreyhound

By the time Hurricane Irene reached upstate NY last year it was a Tropical Storm. It still did billions of dollars

of damage and 42 people lost their lives. It hit exactly 6 days after Flupascrackerbox got home.

We didn't do anything special as none of my dogs (including Cracker) are storm phobic. Pooter is a little

nervous now that she is older. We put her in our bedroom and close the drapes and she is fine.

Other that that we have a generator, plenty of food and supplies on hand (human, dog and cat.) All of the

vehicles are always full of fuel. The only added precaution we take after a storm is to make sure the fence in the

dog yard is intact. Other than that we just use common sense and make sure we are prepared.

Our power was off for 36 hours after Irene. We were comfortable and safe. We live way out in the country.

Long power outages are common for us.

the only item I can add is that I keep a set of leashes hanging up behind the door to our bedroom which I can reach from our bed in about 2 steps. If we need to get out, Ben and Brooke will be leashed.

Jan with precious pups Emmy (Stormin J Flag) and Simon (Nitro Si) and Abbey Field.  Missing my angels: Bailey Buffetbobleclair 11/11/98-17/12/09; Ben Task Rapid Wave 5/5/02-2/11/15; Brooke Glo's Destroyer 7/09/06-21/06/16 and Katie Crazykatiebug 12/11/06 -21/08/21. My blog about grief The reality is that you will grieve forever. You will not get over the loss of a loved one; you will learn to live with it. You will rebuild yourself around the loss you have suffered. You will be whole again but you will never be the same. Nor should you be the same, nor would you want to. Elisabeth Kübler-Ross

So much personal property loss and to top it off, the loss of people's beloved pets.

Irene Ullmann w/Flying Odin and Mama Mia in Lower Delaware
Angels Brandy, John E, American Idol, Paul, Fuzzy and Shine
Handcrafted Greyhound and Custom Clocks http://www.houndtime.com
Zoom Doggies-Racing Coats for Racing Greyhounds

Guest undergreysspell

So very sorry. Dogs should never be without leashes especially during storms. You never know what has blown down or what might startle the dog. Godspeed babies .

Godspeed, sweet babies. My heart goes out to the families, it's so sad. f_yellow f_yellow f_yellow

During TS Irene, my dogs kept their harnesses on. I didn't want to have to try to do that if we had had an emergency; instead, they were ready to go. Since we were all together in the living room, I was able to keep my eye on them and not worry about them getting caught on something. For all my pre-storm worry, the campers slept right through it. I figured if they, including my reliable forecasters, weren't worried, I would worry less.

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.

:candle Run free sweet babies. I am so sorry to their families.

Mom to Macho (JS XtremeMachine 1/12/2007 -8/17/2012 ... Gotcha day 9/2/2011. I miss you BigMan)
Moonbeam (Ninos Full Moon 11/1/2009, Gotcha day 9/2/2012), Hattie (Kiowa Hats Off 4/14/2011, Gotcha day 10/13/2012), Keiva (JS Igotyourbooty 1/12/2007, Gotcha Day 1/8/2014)
Jimmy (Blu Too James 06/26/2014, Gotcha day 09/12/2015)
, a shepard mix named Tista, some cats, and some reptiles.

:f_red :f_red :f_red

re: leashes, having been through several hurricanes, safety isn't guaranteed even with leashes and harnesses handy. The wind, rain, etc. can spook any dog and cause all kinds of unexpected situations.

Edited by robinw

siggy_robinw_tbqslg.jpg
Xavi the galgo and Peter the cat. Missing Iker the galgo ?-Feb.9/19, Treasure (USS Treasure) April 12/01-May 6/13, Phoenix (Hallo Top Son) Dec.14/99-June 4/11 and Loca (Reko Swahili) Oct.9/95 - June 1/09, Allen the boss cat, died late November, 2021, age 19.

SIncere condolences to all the families who lost beloved family members.

:gh_run2

Nancy...Mom to Sid (Peteles Tiger), Kibo (112 Carlota Galgos) and Joshi.  Missing Casey, Gomer, Mona, Penelope, BillieJean, Bandit, Nixon (Starz Sammie),  Ruby (Watch Me Dash) Nigel (Nigel), and especially little Mario, waiting at the Bridge.

SKJ-summer.jpg.31e290e1b8b0d604d47a8be586ae7361.jpg