Looking For A Little Sympathy

Nothing serious, just looking for sympathy. My beagle/lab mix "Skeeter" was 15 yo this spring. He's been my rock for the 14 years he's been

with me.....no health problems what.so.ever. Now he's definitely a senior. Although he's still quite willing to go for his walkabout, even in 100

degree heat, I've seen him slowing down over the past few months, and now he's starting to show the signs of early cognitive disfunction.

He's always been happy to stay home......it took me several years to get him over puking in the car, and even though he doesn't puke anymore,

it's not really "his thing." Now he's starting some separation anxiety......doesn't want to come with, just doesn't want me to go either.

Now when I come home from work, the living room is totally rearranged. Anything he can reach is removed from it's spot & moved elsewhere.

Not chewed, not harmed, just moved. Then last week, he started on the bedroom, as well. Bed unmade, pillows on the floor, everything in the

laundry basket taken out & strewn around. Once again, not chewed or harmed, just moved. Kind of like a small temper tantrum. I started him

on a couple of the new CD supplements, but after 2 weeks, no change at all. I thought about crating him, but after 14 years of no crate, I hate

to start that now.

I guess I'm just beginning to realize that my time with this old man is getting shorter and I'm wondering how I'm going to handle it if this keeps

progressing and gets to the point when he's not "himself" any more. Probably just continue to pick up, put back, & tell him what a silly

handsome old man he is. Thanks for listening to my ramble, I guess I'm just feeling sorry for ourselves this morning.

oct82011010.jpg

Edited to add: My siggie has never seemed more appropriate than it does to me this morning.

Edited by DesiRayMom

Blessed is the person who has earned the love of an old dog.

I think it's always hard when we realize the dog we've had for years isn't quite the same any more. He's quite the handsome fellow.

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

I LOVE that grey muzzle!! K, it is indeed difficult to watch our friends, with whom we've shared so much together, revert back to infancy and become even more dependent on us. Not that we need a reminder, but at this point "every day is a gift" is even more powerful. You know what you'll do? You'll continue to pick up after Skeeter and maybe even under your breath you'll roll your eyes a little bit. Because you know that one day you'll be wishing you were doing exactly that. Please give that sweet old man a smooch from me and keep a hug for yourownself :bighug Old dogs are the best dogs :heart:paw

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M, Ebbie, HollyBeeBop (Betty Crocker).

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.

Guest IrskasMom

I think it's always hard when we realize the dog we've had for years isn't quite the same any more. He's quite the handsome fellow.

Judy said it best . Now more then ever ,they need our Patience and understanding. He certainly is a very handsome Fella :beatheart :beatheart :beatheart

Awwww! What a sweet, sweet face! :grouphug

Cynthia, & Cristiano, galgo
Always in my heart: Frostman
Newdawn Frost, Keno Jet Action & Chloe (NGA racing name unknown), Irys (galgo), Hannah (weim), Cruz (galgo), & Carly CW Your Charming

Princess http://www.greyhound-data.com/d?i=1018857

"It came to me that every time I lose a dog they take a piece of my heart with them. And every new dog who comes into my life, gifts me with a piece of their heart. If I live long enough, all the components of my heart will be dog, and I will become as generous and loving as they are." -- Unknown

Sweet dog! Just like when people start to lose cognitive functions it is routine that keeps them going. When some of my dogs were old they liked to be taken to the beach at the weekend, even though very little walking was done, for the simple reason that it was something we always did. They like us to drive the same routes too. I'd swear they have a scent map of the area that's better than any SatNav. (Mine got me stuck in a U-Turn loop the other day until I turned it off and told it to find the way from next town).

Your vet might have some ideas for how to slow down the process. SAM-e was something Spencer's internist recommended, for both cognition and liver function. Unfortunately, it messes with his IBD tummy and leads to runny poop, so we don't use it. I could send you some (400 mg. size) if you'd like to try it.

But yeah, I know what you mean. Spencer has always been the brave alpha dog, but for some time now he has demoted himself and become a geriatric hound. It's hard to watch. So I started doing less watching, more snuggling, which suits him fine!

Edited by greyhead
Mary with Jumper Jack (2/17/11) and angels Shane (PA's Busta Rime, 12/10/02 - 10/14/16) and Spencer (Dutch Laser, 11/25/00 - 3/29/13).

What a sweet face. My non-grey, Sheila, lived to be 15. She was the first dog I had that lived that long and died simply of old age. It was hard to witness her decline from a fiercely independent hunter to a fiercely independent, but really needing me to help her, older gal. But, in retrospect, it was a real privilege, though, to be at her side from the beginning through to the end. I sure miss her.

Sunsands Doodles: Doodles aka Claire, Bella Run Softly: Softy aka Bowie (the Diamond Dog)

Missing my beautiful boy Sunsands Carl 2.25.2003 - 4.1.2014

What a sweet face. There is something so special about senior pups. Yes, they do need more help and yes they may have higher medical bills but they are so very special.

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Gus an coinnich sinn a'rithist my boys and little girl.

I understand how you feel, Lucky ( Sheltie/Spitz mix) was 6months when I got her &20 yrs old when I came home to find she'd had a terrible stroke but was waiting for me to say good-bye. I said I didn't care how forgetful she became or how many messes I had to clean up if she was happy to be alive that was enough. It was very hard on the other dogs as well as me when she left us but Iwas so glad she was mine. Hugs to both of you, he's a very handsome old man.

:bighug

Just keep loving on him and picking up after him.

Nancy...Mom to Sid (Peteles Tiger), Kibo (112 Carlota Galgos) and Joshi.  Missing Casey, Gomer, Mona, Penelope, BillieJean, Bandit, Nixon (Starz Sammie),  Ruby (Watch Me Dash) Nigel (Nigel), and especially little Mario, waiting at the Bridge.

SKJ-summer.jpg.31e290e1b8b0d604d47a8be586ae7361.jpg

Guest LindsaySF

Awww he's a cutie. It is tough watching them get old.

If you don't want to crate him, maybe gate him into one room? Might minimize the destruction. :)

What a very handsome guy! Honestly, I can almost start to hyperventilate when I think of Maggie aging. (she's 9) We never get them long enough. Hugs to you and Skeeter.

http://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g240/mtbucket/siggies/Everyday-2.jpgJane - forever servant to the whims and wishes of Maggie (L's Magnolia of JCKC) and Sam the mutt pup.[/b]

She's classy, sassy and a bit smart assy.

Kathy,

My Shelby, who will be 16 in August, also has canine cognitive disorder. She wanders around yipping. She waits at the wrong edge of the door (the hinged side) for me to open it. She has accidents in the house, she has started barking for no reason, she is mostly deaf and partly blind -- but she is happy. Everyone who meets her remarks on how much she enjoys her life. Whenever I start to get annoyed at cleaning up more poop or pee, I remind myself of how much I will miss her. Like you, I would much rather clean up after her than not have her in my life.

I know how hard it is seeing them get old. It is so hard not to dwell on the inevitable loss. But I truly am blessed to have earned the love of an old dog.

Jane

Edited by joejoesmom