Heymikee

dobelvr

Tonight I sent my Mikee to the bridge. It was one of the most difficult decisions that I've ever had to make. I knew it was coming, I thought about it for months and started to agonize over it the last few weeks. I've put many dogs to sleep but it was always because of a major health crisis which had no reasonable chance of recovery. Mikee was just shy of 12 years 8 months old. He was my first greyhound. I decided to look into adopting a greyhound after the loss of a dobie to osteo. I thought a grey would be good company for the remaining dobe. I applied to Linda Ann's greys,was approved and met Mikee at a meet and greet. I thought he was gorgeous. Beautiful light brindle, quiet and gentle. So different from my dobes. I took him camping the first weekend. I guarded him very closely because I was terrified he would get away from me and run off. He slept in the same bunk with me and my dobe Hercules. We found out during the night that he had some sleep/space aggression. My doberman who outweighed him by 20lbs was forever after afraid of him. They were never play buddies but loved to run up and down the yard into the house and back around. He earned the nickname Mikee the maniac after jumping up on to the sofa and barking in my face like a nut. That was his way of letting me know he wanted something. My dad who was bedbound was living with me when Mikee came. He quickly figured out the my dad kept a treat bag under his pillow and figured out how to steal them without my dad realizing it. He always carried a stuffy around for fun or as a head rest. He never really cared for any of the other dogs I brought home but he tolerated them and taught them a few things. He had some challenging health issues and injuries but we always pulled through. Over the past year he lost 13 lbs. His gait became increasingly unsteady and he panted with any exertion. We tried multiple med combinations with ever decreasing success. All body systems were affected. I decided to let him go while he still had a little dignity.

100_0131.jpg

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What a beautiful boy he was. You know him best, and I'm sure you did the right thing for him, as hard as it was. I'm so sorry there wasn't a way he could stay longer, and for your loss. :grouphug

:f_white:gh_run:f_white

Mary with Jumper Jack (2/17/11) and angels Shane (PA's Busta Rime, 12/10/02 - 10/14/16) and Spencer (Dutch Laser, 11/25/00 - 3/29/13).

I am so sorry. It is never an easy decision, but you let him go with dignity.

Godspeed Mikee

Deb, and da Croo
In my heart always, my Bridge Angels - Macavity, Tila the wannabe, Dexter, CDN Cold Snap (Candy), PC Herode Boy, WZ Moody, Poco Zinny, EM's Scully, Lonsome Billy, Lucas, Hurry Hannah, Daisy (Apache Blitz), Sadie (Kickapoo Kara), USS Maxi, Sam's Attaboy, Crystal Souza, Gifted Suzy, Zena, and Jetlag who never made it home.

http://www.northernskygreyhounds.com

I'm so sorry you lost your precious Mikee. The first Greyhound is so special.

gallery_11446_3599_3864.jpg
Nancy, Mom to Evangelina and Kiva
Missing Lacey, Patsy, Buster, my heart dog Nick, Winnie, Pollyanna, Tess, my precious Lydia, Calvin Lee, my angel butterfly Laila, and kitties Lily, Sam and Simon
My Etsy shop: http://www.etsy.com/shop/Catsburgandhoundtown

I'm so sorry for the loss of your very handsome boy.

Godspeed, Mikee.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

I'm so sorry you had to let him go. He was a very handsome boy. Godspeed Mikee.

Mary, mom to kitty Rebel.
Always missing Sherri (SO DELICIOUS) (12/6/2005-8/29/2018) kitties Marley (4/2000-12/3/2015) and Beady (4/1998-2/24/2006) and Dalmatian Daisy (7/25/1984-5/13/1999).

The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work

and give to those who would not - Thomas Jefferson

I am very sorry for your loss of Mikee. He sounds like one in a million and a very special pup.

Run free Mikee, run free sweetie...:gh_run

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Gus an coinnich sinn a'rithist my boys and little girl.

I'm so sorry he couldn't stay with you longer :( :( Godspeed, Mikee. :cry1

Kim and Bruce - with Rick (Rick Roufus 6/30/16) and missing my sweet greyhound Angels Rainey (LG's Rainey 10/4/2000 - 3/8/2011), Anubis (RJ's Saint Nick 12/25/2001 - 9/12/12) and Zeke (Hey Who Whiz It 4/6/2009 - 7/20/2020) and Larry (PTL Laroach 2/24/2007 - 8/2/2020) -- and Chester (Lab) (8/31/1990 - 5/3/2005), Captain (Schipperke) (10/12/1992 - 6/13/2005) and Remy (GSP) (?/?/1998 - 1/6/2005) at the bridge
"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut." -- Ernest Hemmingway

I'm so sorry. :cry1

Godspeed Mikee.

Standard Poodle Daisy (12/13)
Missing Cora (RL Nevada 5/99-10/09), Piper (Cee Bar Easy 2/99-1/10), Tally (Thunder La La 9/99-3/10), Edie (Daring Reva 9/99-10/12), Dixie (Kiowa Secret Sue 11/01-1/13), Jessie (P's Real Time 11/98-3/13), token boy Graham (Zydeco Dancer 9/00-5/13), Cal (Back Already 12/99-11/13), Betsy (Back Kick Beth 11/98-12/13), Standard Poodles Minnie (1/99-1/14) + Perry (9/98-2/14), Annie (Do Marcia 9/03-10/14), Pink (Miss Pinky Baker 1/02-6/15), Poppy (Cmon Err Not 8/05-1/16), Kat (Jax Candy 5/05-5/17), Ivy (Jax Isis 10/07-7/21), Hildy (Braska Hildy 7/10-12/22), Opal (Jax Opal 7/08-4/23). Toodles (BL Toodles 7/09-4/24)

Guest PiagetsMom

I think age related end-of-life decisions are probably the hardest to make because you're always afraid that maybe you should or could be doing something more.......a day too soon is our pain, a day too late is theirs. Thank you for thinking of his dignity and quality of life, even though I know it broke your heart to do it.

Mikee was a beautiful boy and well loved - I'm so very sorry :grouphug

I'm so sorry for your loss.

Jan with precious pups Emmy (Stormin J Flag) and Simon (Nitro Si) and Abbey Field.  Missing my angels: Bailey Buffetbobleclair 11/11/98-17/12/09; Ben Task Rapid Wave 5/5/02-2/11/15; Brooke Glo's Destroyer 7/09/06-21/06/16 and Katie Crazykatiebug 12/11/06 -21/08/21. My blog about grief The reality is that you will grieve forever. You will not get over the loss of a loved one; you will learn to live with it. You will rebuild yourself around the loss you have suffered. You will be whole again but you will never be the same. Nor should you be the same, nor would you want to. Elisabeth Kübler-Ross