Mighty, My Best Friend

Guest solom01

Guest solom01

Hi, I'm new here and hate to start off on a sad note, but Mighty, my Greyhound, passed yesterday. He was only 9 years old. I adopted him when he was 4, and picked him because half of his nose had been bitten off as a puppy - I figured people wanted perfect animals and he had been in foster care a long time because he looked funny. The first month or two were rough, he was pretty destructive and hated being crated while I was at work. We made a deal that I wouldn't crate him anymore and from then on things were great. Mighty had the best heart of any animal - or person - I've ever known. He loved cats, small dogs, and every person he ever saw, especially kids and older people. Every time he saw someone he was all wiggles and tail wagging - he never failed to make everyone's day a little better. We were inseperable for 5 years, he saw me through some really rough times - no matter how bad the day went when I got home my best friend was waiting for me, thrilled to have me back. I never left him at a kennel, the few times that I had to be gone a few days on business trips I would have a friend or the ex-wife come and take care of him. On Monday I had to go to Florida with the ex to see my elderly parents who are having problems. I boarded Mighty with his vet. He was acting fine, tail wagging, jumped into the car, everything normal. I called the vet's office on Tuesday and Mighty was doing great. On Wednesday, I got a call from the vet saying that Mighty had developed a fever and had vomitted. I changed my plans but the soonest I could get home was on Thursday morning. I was in touch with the vet throughout the day and my Wednesday night, although he had a fever, he was drinking water and standing up, so we thought the worse was over. On Thursday morning during a layover in Charlotte on my way home to get him I found out that Mighty died during the night. I'm sorry to be such a wuz, but I'm hoping that just writting about this will take away some of the pain - I never knew it was possible to get so attached to a dog (and I've had dogs all my life). I'm beating myself up for not being there when he needed me, and even if I couldn't have done anything I could have held him as he passed away. None of you knew Mighty, and I know every dog and especially every Greyhound is special, but I never knew it was possible for a dog to be so loving, so kind and so gentle. He tried so hard to be a friend to everyone, and he was always there when I needed him. I just wish God had seen fit to let him enjoy his retirement a bit longer. My heart is totally crushed, but I am so honored and glad that I got the five years I had with Mighty. Thanks for listening, I just wanted his life to be remembered.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You didn't let Mighty down. You were there when he needed you most - the day you first brought him home. Every day that followed was a bonus.

I have added Mighty's name to the list of Bridge Angels for March. We all feel your pain.

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels: Rita the podenco maneta, Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

What an awful shock for you. I'm so sorry for your loss.

Godspeed, Mighty.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest IrskasMom

I am so sorry, This darn Leaks in my Eyes :weep . You are not a Wuz. We just about all have been there and know your Pain , yes Pain it is.You gave Mighty a Good Live and I thank you for it.Mighty run free sweet Boy ,you were Loved :f_red

Edited by IrskasMom

Guest goofydog

How tragic for you. I agree with Ducky, you gave Mighty the best gift when you brought him into your home. Sending healing thought for you. Godspeed Mighty and run free with the Angels who have gone before you.

I'm so very sorry for your loss. Please don't beat yourself up about not being with Mighty at the end. I, too was away seeing my elderly parents when I lost my Andy and I know exactly how you feel. Mighty was with people who cared for him and he knew how much you loved him. You gave him the most precious gift of all, a forever home where he was loved and cherished.

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

I'm so sorry.

Run with the angels Mighty.

My sweet angel Tanner-"Showoffs Magic" 79D-82695. DOB 7/22/99. Gotcha Day 6/20/05. Bridge Day 3/11/10. Big Beautiful Brave Angel Norm-"Showoffs Storm" 89B-83263. DOB 8/16/99. Gotcha Day 3/24/06. Bridge Day 4/20/13. Angel Girl Bree-"Breezy Betty" 201A-93631. DOB 2/05/01. Gotcha Day 5/11/10. Bridge Day 10/07/11. She reached the beach.... Maci-"CF's Owhatanite" 44H-29320. DOB 10/05/04. Gotcha Day 10/11/11. Greta-"Greta's Milam" 90B-54582. DOB 9/17/10. Gotcha Day 11/30/12. Bridge Day 03/30/17. Ben-"P Kay Key Train" 63A-61271. DOB 6/2/13. Gotcha Day 12/26/15.

How tragic! I am so sorry. He knew he was loved. May time bring you some peace.

gallery_16605_3214_8259.jpg

Cindy with Miss Fancypants, Paris Bueller, Zeke, and Angus 
Dante (Dg's Boyd), Zoe (In a While), Brady (Devilish Effect), Goose (BG Shotgun), Maverick (BG ShoMe), Maggie (All Trades Jax), Sherman (LNB Herman Bad) and Indy (BYB whippet) forever in my heart
The flame that burns the brightest, burns the fastest and leaves the biggest shadow

Ducky got it exactly right. I'm so very sorry for your loss. :grouphug

Godspeed Mighty, you were truly loved. :gh_run

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.

I am very sorry for your loss. Mighty sounds like one in a million and you were both lucky to have found each other. Unfortunately the time of their passing is out of our control and I understand how you feel about not being there. Try not to beat yourself up too much, you did everything you could at the time. Mighty is now looking down at you from over the bridge and thanking you for the good life. Honour him by trying to smile when you think of him and someday open your heart to another as Mighty would want that.

Run free Mighty, run free sweetie...:gh_run

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Gus an coinnich sinn a'rithist my boys and little girl.

I am so sorry for the sudden loss of your Mighty.

Love that captures the heart and touches the soul remains forever. Hold the special memories

close to your heart.

Nancy...Mom to Sid (Peteles Tiger), Kibo (112 Carlota Galgos) and Joshi.  Missing Casey, Gomer, Mona, Penelope, BillieJean, Bandit, Nixon (Starz Sammie),  Ruby (Watch Me Dash) Nigel (Nigel), and especially little Mario, waiting at the Bridge.

SKJ-summer.jpg.31e290e1b8b0d604d47a8be586ae7361.jpg

Mighty was a blessed because you adopted and loved him. You made him somedog special by sharing your love and home with him. Cherish the time you had together.

May your happy memories help to heal your heart.

Godspeed Mighty.

june

My heart is breaking for you. :grouphug I know the tremendous cavernous gigantic hole that it feels like your heart is now. Mighty knows you loved him too. He knows you saved his life and adopted him and gave him the best thing in the whole universe-a loving forever home. Mighty will always be a part of your life. He will be with you allways. You can't see anythign clearly right now through the tears but someday you'll know that you STILL have each other and will meet again. My deepest sympathy. Please keep in touch with GT-we care.

"The best and most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even touched. They must be felt with the heart."

"What we have enjoyed we can never lose…All that we love deeply becomes a part of us."-Helen Keller

For love is as strong as death,

Many waters cannot quench love,

Nor can the floods drown it. Song of Solomon 8:6-7

:f_red :f_red :f_red:gh_lay

Edited by racindog

What a horrible shock for you to find out that Mighty had died while you were heading back. I am so very sorry for your loss. :cry1 I am glad that you came here to post about this and share your journey with Mighty with us.

Rest in peace, Mighty :gh_run2

:f_white:grouphug :grouphug

large.sig-2024.jpg.80c0d3c049975de29abb0

Kerry with Lupin in beautiful coastal Maine. Missing Pippin, my best friend and sweet little heart-healer :brokenheart 2013-2023 :brokenheart 
Also missing the best wizard in the world, Merlin, and my sweet 80lb limpet, Sagan, every single day. 

Guest FastDogsOwnMe

Oh that's heartbreaking! He was so lucky to have such a wonderful human "dad" and you were so blessed to have him. If you feel ready at some point, please share photos of your precious boy. We here do understand!

Thank you for sharing Mighty with us....and for giving him a loving and wonderful life.

Please know that we all understand the grief that you feel....and all of the other emotions swirling in your head and heart. Your hound knew he was loved and that's truly all that matters.....

Please stay in touch with us here on GT....I started posting right after losing my Jack....and the support and words here were immensely helpful.

gallery_22387_3315_35426.jpg

Robin, EZ (Tribal Track), JJ (What a Story), Dustin (E's Full House) and our beautiful Jack (Mana Black Jack) and Lily (Chip's Little Miss Lily) both at the Bridge
The WFUBCC honors our beautiful friends at the bridge. Godspeed sweet angels.

I am so very sorry for your loss of Mighty. The pain may feel both overwhelming and neverending so I hope we can offer some comfort during this time.

And so many of us have been there and feel your pain and sadness, and know you long for one more day, one more word, one more touch. You may not understand why Mighty left this earth so soon, or why he left before you were ready to say good-bye, but little by little, you'll begin to remember not just that Mighty died, but that he lived. And that his life gave will leave memories too beautiful to forget.

Jan with precious pups Emmy (Stormin J Flag) and Simon (Nitro Si) and Abbey Field.  Missing my angels: Bailey Buffetbobleclair 11/11/98-17/12/09; Ben Task Rapid Wave 5/5/02-2/11/15; Brooke Glo's Destroyer 7/09/06-21/06/16 and Katie Crazykatiebug 12/11/06 -21/08/21. My blog about grief The reality is that you will grieve forever. You will not get over the loss of a loved one; you will learn to live with it. You will rebuild yourself around the loss you have suffered. You will be whole again but you will never be the same. Nor should you be the same, nor would you want to. Elisabeth Kübler-Ross