Mesothelioma Diagnosed In My Greyhound...

Guest Babs

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Make each day special and take them one at a time. Make memories and take photos.

I am sorry that the diagnosis couldn't be better. I am sending long distance warmth and hugs your way.

Edited by Houndtime

Irene Ullmann w/Flying Odin and Mama Mia in Lower Delaware
Angels Brandy, John E, American Idol, Paul, Fuzzy and Shine
Handcrafted Greyhound and Custom Clocks http://www.houndtime.com
Zoom Doggies-Racing Coats for Racing Greyhounds

I'm so sorry. My grandfather died of this disease, and at least in people, the diagnosis is usually tragically clear and there really isn't anything to be done but pallative care. You all will be in my thoughts and prayers.

Beth, Petey (8 September 2018- ), and Faith (22 March 2019). Godspeed Patrick (28 April 1999 - 5 August 2012), Murphy (23 June 2004 - 27 July 2013), Leo (1 May 2009 - 27 January 2020), and Henry (10 August 2010 - 7 August 2020), you were loved more than you can know.

I am sorry to hear about this diagnosis. I hope you have some good times left with your boy. You are in my thoughts.

gallery_16605_3214_8259.jpg

Cindy with Miss Fancypants, Paris Bueller, Zeke, and Angus 
Dante (Dg's Boyd), Zoe (In a While), Brady (Devilish Effect), Goose (BG Shotgun), Maverick (BG ShoMe), Maggie (All Trades Jax), Sherman (LNB Herman Bad) and Indy (BYB whippet) forever in my heart
The flame that burns the brightest, burns the fastest and leaves the biggest shadow

A sincere thanks to all who have responded to this posting. My family and I appreciate your prayers, thoughts, concerns, personal stories and suggestions. One said it well that her grandfather passed from Mesothelioma and really...there is NO cure. All of the tests in the world will show nothing any different than what we have already seen. Xrays are Xrays!

Today our sweet boy is doing okay...he is eating, still loves kicking out the rabbits and letting us know of the deer and the foxes who live in our woods. He is still taking the nasty medicines, but is happy and yesterday soaked up some vitamin D on our deck with his sister, Cleo, our other greyhound, both enjoying the coming of Spring!!! We take one day at a time and enjoy the short time we have together and realistically that should go for ALL of us...Life is very short in human and dog years!

Thanks again...will keep you posted.

Barbara Ranegar

Pittsburgh, PA

A sincere thanks to all who have responded to this posting. My family and I appreciate your prayers, thoughts, concerns, personal stories and suggestions. One said it well that her grandfather passed from Mesothelioma and really...there is NO cure. All of the tests in the world will show nothing any different than what we have already seen. Xrays are Xrays!

Today our sweet boy is doing okay...he is eating, still loves kicking out the rabbits and letting us know of the deer and the foxes who live in our woods. He is still taking the nasty medicines, but is happy and yesterday soaked up some vitamin D on our deck with his sister, Cleo, our other greyhound, both enjoying the coming of Spring!!! We take one day at a time and enjoy the short time we have together and realistically that should go for ALL of us...Life is very short in human and dog years!

Barbara Ranegar

Pittsburgh, PA

Barbara, I'm sorry you're going thru this. Unfortunately I think most people on this board have gone thru at least one loss. So even if there is nothing to do but spoil him rotten for his time left, we, here all can sympathize with you. We have been there.

I've lost 5 to date. One lived to be only 5, another to 15.5. I had one that was fine in the morning, gone that night, another went thru 6 months of amp and chemo. (her 6 months was a happy time though, she was pain free).

There is no easy way to say goodbye.

The only positive thing about knowing a little in advance is that you can say goodbye. I didn't get that with my first girl Brindle.

MY heart is with you. :grouphug

Happy and soaking up the sun, this made me smile for you guys. :grouphug Every day is a gift.

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.

I'm so sorry, this must be so tough...my greyhound is my first doggie, so I can't relate at all. But, I thought this might interest you, it's a bucket list for greyhounds:

Bucket List Thread

Greyhound Collars : www.collartown.ca

Maggie (the human servant), with Miss Bella, racing name "A Star Blackieto"

13380965654_dba9a12b29.jpg

I'm so sorry, this must be so tough...my greyhound is my first doggie, so I can't relate at all. But, I thought this might interest you, it's a bucket list for greyhounds:

Bucket List Thread

Oh, I loved this!!!! And it DID interest me! So far Mac is up to 7 of those on the list! Not bad...thank you so much for this and for your concern!

Barbara Ranegar

Pittsburgh, PA

Not toget off subject about Mac. Donna- how your SIL got the MESO (as we call it in the insurance industry) is bystander exposure. She got it from being around the asbestos not actually working with it. Any time the asbestos is disturbed there is achance for people to get any type of asbestos related disease. I handle cases every day (I am an environmental claim adjuster) in which people were exposed to asbestos. Women who washed their husband's clothing got MESO from it (shaking the clothing out) it is so sad.

I understand that. Unfortunately, everyone who worked in that warehouse has died or has lung cancer now. :(

Mom to Melly and Dani

Greyhound Bridge Angels - Jessie, Brittne, Buddy,

Red, Chica, Ford and Dodge.

Happy and soaking up the sun, this made me smile for you guys. :grouphug Every day is a gift.

Yes it was a really good day to be out in the sun...And both Mac and Cleo love it! I'm glad it made you smile...me too, because there are just no tears left! We love our big brindle boy and our red fawn, Cleopatra...and they know it and love us back every minute we are with them. Thanks for the hugs...

Continued prayers for Mac. My SIL could not believe this when I told her about it. So very sad. :( Hugs to you, Mac and your family.

Barbara Ranegar

Pittsburgh, PA

Mom to Melly and Dani

Greyhound Bridge Angels - Jessie, Brittne, Buddy,

Red, Chica, Ford and Dodge.

I just wanted to give you an update on my Greyhound, Mac, who was diagnosed with Mesothelioma a few weeks ago. Despite the fact that Mac has to take a ton of meds per day...1/2 Plavix, 2 amlodipine, 1 enalapril (these are for the stroke and blood clot he had two years ago in May)and more recently 6 spironolactone and 4 Lasix for the Meso, he is doing great! He is happy, eating well, bathroom habits are perfect, sleeping well, enjoying the warm sun and loves taking short drives and walks through our woods. He has a great attitude and his sense of humor is wonderful! The swelling is gone in his rib area and front paws, although we keep a close eye on that, we are very lucky to have him a little longer and cherish every day.

We know the time we have with Mac is short, but we are making the best of it and he knows we love him. I haven't figured out how to post a picture on this site yet, but if you would like to go to my face book I have a lot of pictures of Mac and Cleo there. Mac is the big, dark brindle (90#) and our Cleo is the red fawn. Thanks again for all of the good wishes and responses to our bad news, but we're okay! Keep you posted...

Barbara Ranegar

Pittsburgh, PA

Enjoy your time together and please give him lots of hugs and kisses from us :)

siggy_robinw_tbqslg.jpg
Xavi the galgo and Peter the cat. Missing Iker the galgo ?-Feb.9/19, Treasure (USS Treasure) April 12/01-May 6/13, Phoenix (Hallo Top Son) Dec.14/99-June 4/11 and Loca (Reko Swahili) Oct.9/95 - June 1/09, Allen the boss cat, died late November, 2021, age 19.

Fantastic. :grouphug

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.

Guest trevdog

Hang in there.....sending prayers to your boy. I lost my boy Jam 6 years ago to some form of cancer. They kept having to drain fluid from his heart and chest area, although they never saw any lesions, the fluid had cancer cells present. It's so scary....make every day special.