Mesothelioma Diagnosed In My Greyhound...

Guest Babs

So very sorry to hear that Mac has had this happen-I am praying for him and you. Like many of the others I would encourage you to at least get a diagnosis confirmation from Dr. Cuoto. He has saved many greyhounds that others thought there was no hope for.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am so sorry you are facing this. I agree that getting a second opinion from OSU is in order. The Greyhound Health and Wellness Program (GHWP) is incredibly short staffed right now as Dr. Marin is out on extended leave. Dr. Couto is in Spain right now, helping the galgos (spanish greyhound). He is expected back at OSU on March 13, assuming the return flight goes as planned.

If you decide to come to OSU (about a 3 1/2 hour drive from Pittsburg - 185 miles), please let me know. I may be able to be there with you for moral support. If you decide to stay overnight here, I may be able to find you a local greyhound owner who will put you and Mac up for the night(s).

My email is finewhipador-drool@yahoo.com (copy and past as there is a dash not an underscore which people often mix up). Or click here ME

Jane

I am sooooooo sorry to hear this. Unbelieveable!!!!! :o Give him lots of love. :grouphug

My 51-year old SIL was diagnosed with Mesothelioma in December and could not ever remember being exposed to asbestos. Found out she was working for her father one summer and a co-worker was cutting sheets of asbestos on a regular basis about 10 feet from the desk she was sitting at - 30 years ago.

Mom to Melly and Dani

Greyhound Bridge Angels - Jessie, Brittne, Buddy,

Red, Chica, Ford and Dodge.

wow, amazing!

I hope Dr. Couto will be able to help in some way

:bighug

Love your boy as long and hard as possible!

lorinda, mom to the ever revolving door of Foster greyhounds

Always in my heart: Teala (LC Sweet Dream) , Pepton, Darbee-Do (Hey Barb) , Rascal (Abitta Rascal), Power (Beyond the Power), and the miracle boy LAZER (2/21/14), Spirit (Bitter Almonds) 8/14

I really am not so sure any more CAN be done for Mac! He is comfortable today, eating, taking all of the meds he needs, resting and just being the sweet boy he is. I have been touch with OSU and Dr. Couto and just waiting...I don't think we have a lot of time, but hopefully they will answer soon! If I don't hear back from his office in a day I'll be in touch again. It's hard to think that our big boy may not be with us next week or whenever things get worse. To have overcome his blod clot, bouncing back from that with flying colors from his paralysis 100% and now to succumb to this is just not fair! It's kind of being at your limits now...what do you do? Call Melbourne Greyhound Racing Park to verify how long he was there and could he have been exposed to asbestos there? What about the other dogs that were housed there in 2004-2006 weren't they exposed too, and have they been affected! Mesothelioma? I just want to say...REALLY?

According to Mac's vet as long as the lung area doesn't fill up with fluid and he can breath easily he's ok, but the nodules still are growing. So I think to myself, poor Mackie had this in his bloodstream probably from when he was a year old or so! I am really surprised that there are not more Greyhounds out there diagnosed with mesothelioma! My husband and I are taking one day at a time and cherishing these short days with have with Mac! And he knows we love him...

Thanks for all of the good wishes and prayers...from the bottom of my heart it is very much appreciated...

Barbara Ranegar

Pittsburgh, PA

I am sooooooo sorry to hear this. Unbelieveable!!!!! :o Give him lots of love. :grouphug

My 51-year old SIL was diagnosed with Mesothelioma in December and could not ever remember being exposed to asbestos. Found out she was working for her father one summer and a co-worker was cutting sheets of asbestos on a regular basis about 10 feet from the desk she was sitting at - 30 years ago.

From what I have researched and read, this deadly disease rears its ugly head years down the line. And when I imagine that most of these racetrack facilities were probably built in the 60's and 70's, that would be the prime time when asbestos was being used and a lot of greyhounds were exposed to it. My husband was a strip mine equiment operator in the 80's and 90's and told me that the bath house the men at the company used was insulated with asbestos...of the 20 men that used that building on a daily basis, 18 of them died of lung cancer.....and mesothelioma!

I am so sorry you are facing this. I agree that getting a second opinion from OSU is in order. The Greyhound Health and Wellness Program (GHWP) is incredibly short staffed right now as Dr. Marin is out on extended leave. Dr. Couto is in Spain right now, helping the galgos (spanish greyhound). He is expected back at OSU on March 13, assuming the return flight goes as planned.

If you decide to come to OSU (about a 3 1/2 hour drive from Pittsburg - 185 miles), please let me know. I may be able to be there with you for moral support. If you decide to stay overnight here, I may be able to find you a local greyhound owner who will put you and Mac up for the night(s).

My email is finewhipador-drool@yahoo.com (copy and past as there is a dash not an underscore which people often mix up). Or click here ME

Jane

From what I have researched and read, this deadly disease rears its ugly head years down the line. And when I imagine that most of these racetrack facilities were probably built in the 60's and 70's, that would be the prime time when asbestos was being used and a lot of greyhounds were exposed to it. My husband was a strip mine equiment operator in the 80's and 90's and told me that the bath house the men at the company used was insulated with asbestos...of the 20 men that used that building on a daily basis, 18 of them died of lung cancer.....and mesothelioma!

Jane

Jane,

Thank you so much for your generosity! I don't think we have that kind of time! It's great to know that we have your moral support now, with so many others who have responded to my story. Thank you for that...

Not toget off subject about Mac. Donna- how your SIL got the MESO (as we call it in the insurance industry) is bystander exposure. She got it from being around the asbestos not actually working with it. Any time the asbestos is disturbed there is achance for people to get any type of asbestos related disease. I handle cases every day (I am an environmental claim adjuster) in which people were exposed to asbestos. Women who washed their husband's clothing got MESO from it (shaking the clothing out) it is so sad.

Babs again Maddie and I are thinking of you and Mac and hope that Dr Couto can help. We are thinking of you all.

Amy Human Mommy to fur baby Maddie (Doobiesaurus) TDI certified. May 5, 2002-September 12, 2014 and Mille (Mac's Bayou Baby)CGC, TDI certified.

http://i270.photobucket.com/albums/jj93/Chillyhorse/siggies/maddie.jpg"]http://i270. photobucket.com/albums/jj93/Chillyhorse/siggies/maddie.jpg[/img]

Guest greymomcrt

Just some insight. You mentioned Melbourne Greyhound Park. The Kennels there were built in 1990 and are of concrete block and cement floors. Have you checked the racing records? Most greyhounds that have come through our program raced at several other tracks before they got here.

Also in all of the over 7200 greyhounds that we have helped move from racing into adoption, this is the first case we have heard about.

There is no telling where the greyhound could have come in contact with asbestos.

Claire Tyler

Jane

Jane,

Thank you so much for your generosity! I don't think we have that kind of time! It's great to know that we have your moral support now, with so many others who have responded to my story. Thank you for that...

No need for thanks. This is one thing I can do to help our beloved houndies. Based on the little I know about mesothelioma, there really isn't much more than supportive care. Of course, the amount I know could maybe fill one or two sentences. My thought was that in the off chance that it was not mesothelioma, perhaps there would be some treatment. I don't remember you saying how they diagnosed it, whether it was 100 percent confirmed via biopsy or diagnosed by symptoms alone. OSU has some excellent oncologists. You can get an appointment through the GHWP (saves a bit of money) and see an oncologist, even when Dr. Couto is not available.

My thoughts will be with you and your beloved Mac.

Jane

Just some insight. You mentioned Melbourne Greyhound Park. The Kennels there were built in 1990 and are of concrete block and cement floors. Have you checked the racing records? Most greyhounds that have come through our program raced at several other tracks before they got here.

Also in all of the over 7200 greyhounds that we have helped move from racing into adoption, this is the first case we have heard about.

There is no telling where the greyhound could have come in contact with asbestos.

Claire Tyler

Actually, Claire, the facility was originally built as JaiAlai Fronton in 1971 then converted into the Melbourne Greyhound Park and racing facility in 1990. Regardless of where he contracted it...it was in some facility from the time he was a pup to the end of his racing career in 2006-7.

Jane

Jane,

No need for thanks. This is one thing I can do to help our beloved houndies. Based on the little I know about mesothelioma, there really isn't much more than supportive care. Of course, the amount I know could maybe fill one or two sentences. My thought was that in the off chance that it was not mesothelioma, perhaps there would be some treatment. I don't remember you saying how they diagnosed it, whether it was 100 percent confirmed via biopsy or diagnosed by symptoms alone. OSU has some excellent oncologists. You can get an appointment through the GHWP (saves a bit of money) and see an oncologist, even when Dr. Couto is not available.

Jane

Jane, There was no biopsy done, but it was diagnosed when the fluid (1 1/2 quarts) that was drained from the chest cavity was sent out for lab analysis and then Mesotheliol cancer cells were detected. Also the chest xray shows 2 small nodules on either side of the lungs and a larger one. And I don't think we have time for all that...this is a fast moving cancer and in a very short time his chest will fill up again, have to be drained, etc. and how much of that can he handle. If it fills up too fast it will collapse the lungs and he'll suffocate. I don't want him to suffer like that...

Sending you prayers @ this difficult time, so sorry that Mac has to experience this, life is truely not fair :(

med_gallery_14228_2915_582.jpg
Roberta & Michael with Furkids- Flower (Shasta Flowers 6/7/06) & Rascal the kitty - Missing our sweet angels - Max(M's Mad Max) 10/12/02 - 12/3/15, Sara (Sara Raves 6/30/01 - 4/13/12) Queenie & Pandora the kitties - gone but never forgotten

Claire Tyler

Actually, Claire, the facility was originally built as JaiAlai Fronton in 1971 then converted into the Melbourne Greyhound Park and racing facility in 1990. Regardless of where he contracted it...it was in some facility from the time he was a pup to the end of his racing career in 2006-7.

Barbara I am so sorry you and your boy are going through this. Just wanted to mention that Claire was referring specifically to the kennel buildings where the hounds are housed, and not the facility as a whole.

Jane

Jane,

Jane

Jane, There was no biopsy done, but it was diagnosed when the fluid (1 1/2 quarts) that was drained from the chest cavity was sent out for lab analysis and then Mesotheliol cancer cells were detected. Also the chest xray shows 2 small nodules on either side of the lungs and a larger one. And I don't think we have time for all that...this is a fast moving cancer and in a very short time his chest will fill up again, have to be drained, etc. and how much of that can he handle. If it fills up too fast it will collapse the lungs and he'll suffocate. I don't want him to suffer like that...

Unfortunately, it does sound like it is a definite diagnosis. I am so sorry that you and Mac have to go through this.

Jane

I posted earlier but I have been thinking about you and Mac today, and I'm just so sad for you having to go through this so darned quickly. Every day is a gift and I hope you can enjoy every single moment with your boy. :grouphug

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.

Nothing is definite -- I would have a second set of eyes look at that fluid analysis. Quoting Dr Couto-- "Up to 70% of

Path reports can be inaccurate." When dealing with such a fatal diagnosis one should seek a second opinion.

:grouphug Gentle hugs to you and Mac. Wish one of us knew how to slow down that fluid build-up. :grouphug
Mary with Jumper Jack (2/17/11) and angels Shane (PA's Busta Rime, 12/10/02 - 10/14/16) and Spencer (Dutch Laser, 11/25/00 - 3/29/13).

Have you tried the CSU cancer center? They have both owner & vet consultation services. http://www.csuanimalcancercenter.org/consult-service

So very sorry you are going through this. After watching a cancer that was swift, deadly & horrifying take my pup last year, I know how devastating it is when you have so few or no options. Keep searching though.

Nothing is definite -- I would have a second set of eyes look at that fluid analysis.

Yes, please do. My girl was originally misdiagnosed though the confusion was completely understandable.

I posted earlier but I have been thinking about you and Mac today, and I'm just so sad for you having to go through this so darned quickly. Every day is a gift and I hope you can enjoy every single moment with your boy. :grouphug

Thanks so much for thinking of us...We are enjoying our time left with Mac, as we always have. He is comfortable, taking his medicines like a trooper, eating well and knows how much he is loved.

Have you been to PVSEC? Might be an option for a second opinion.

Yes we have...the concur with Mac's vet...

:grouphug Gentle hugs to you and Mac. Wish one of us knew how to slow down that fluid build-up. :grouphug

Thank you for that...I know the fluid buildup is due to the growths around the lungs and heart. Although we have no idea how quickly these fluids actually do fill up. Mac is looking and acting pretty good today, no swelling (which I keep an eye on) especially in the chest area and the paws. He's eating well and taking all of his meds with no problem...I just wish there was a total cure for Mesothelioma in humans and dogs...

Have you been to PVSEC? Might be an option for a second opinion.

Sorry typo...I meant to say "they" as in PVSEC...

While nothing as severe as this, my girl was mis-diagnosed with myocitis and put on steroids. Worse thing for a hypertensive dog.

It turned out to be simply an abscessed tooth.

So a second opinion can't hurt. Not if it's terminal.

That would be great news...but unfortunately for us it's not an abscess! And since it is terminal, there is no cure for Mesothelioma, in humans or dogs! Radiation does not work and only mastitizes the growths...

Met in lung and cardiac mass sounds like hemangiosarcoma--- I trip to OSU is in order. Fingers crossed.

Hemangiosarcoma is a malignant cancer of the cells that forms in the blood vessals. That is not what Mac has. We saw the chest xrays and the results of the blood tests. Mesothelioma is a very rare "form of cancer that develops from transformed cells originating in the mesothelioum, the protective lining that covers many of the internal organs of the body. iIt definitely developes from being exposed to asbestos dust or inhaling asbestos. After drainage of the fluid mesothelial cells were found in the liquid. Growths were found in cavities on either side of the lungs and heart. A trip to OSU is really out of the question, the trip would be too much for Mac.

I am so sorry to hear about Mac :bighug I hope you have many more good days with him before he has to leave.:sad1

Thank you...me too! We take each day as it comes.....

Thinking of you and Mac. It is a horrible disease, my neighbor of 25 years passed away from it a couple of years ago. As long as Mac is comfortable let him enjoy what time he has left with you, and vice versa.

Tin and Michael and Lucas, Picasso, Hero, Oasis, Galina, Neizan, Enzo, Salvo and Noor the Galgos.
Remembering Bridge Angel Greyhounds: Tosca, Jamey, Master, Diego, and Ambi; plus Angel Galgos Jules, Marco and Baltasar.