Merlin's Continuing Health Issues

We experienced something similar with our Walter. He had a PLE, Lymphangictasia (which is like an IBD) and was on Metro and Pred. When it happened the first time we rushed him to the vet but he was fine by the time the DR saw him. They said it was likely a Senior Vestibular Symdrom (Walter was 11) and not a stroke like we were thinking. He had two of them but recovered within the hour each time.

I hope it's just as simple as that...

Get Better Merlin!

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:bighug I hope Merlin is feeling better! Fletcher never had any problems with Metronidizol, but he was never on it for more than a few months at a time. I have noticed, as he has gotten older that there are foods he used to tolerate that he can no longer eat :( I hope this is not the case with Merlin.

edited to add, I wouldn't try this now, but once you get him stable again, you might try some Manuka honey. I was very skeptical, but finally gave it a try, and it works wonders for nipping flare-ups in the bud!

Edited by Remolacha

No advice, just lots of good thoughts and prayers for Merlin.

Me too. Thinking about you both, and hoping he gets better and better.

gallery_11446_3599_3864.jpg
Nancy, Mom to Evangelina and Kiva
Missing Lacey, Patsy, Buster, my heart dog Nick, Winnie, Pollyanna, Tess, my precious Lydia, Calvin Lee, my angel butterfly Laila, and kitties Lily, Sam and Simon
My Etsy shop: http://www.etsy.com/shop/Catsburgandhoundtown

No advice, but sending tons of healing thoughts for Merlin. :hope

Cynthia, & Cristiano, galgo
Always in my heart: Frostman
Newdawn Frost, Keno Jet Action & Chloe (NGA racing name unknown), Irys (galgo), Hannah (weim), Cruz (galgo), & Carly CW Your Charming

Princess http://www.greyhound-data.com/d?i=1018857

"It came to me that every time I lose a dog they take a piece of my heart with them. And every new dog who comes into my life, gifts me with a piece of their heart. If I live long enough, all the components of my heart will be dog, and I will become as generous and loving as they are." -- Unknown

Thank you all for your advice and support!

What would happen if you kept him on the food that his gut best tolerates and stopped the metronidazole?

Bad things :( We tried that, among other things. It took us several months to figure out what would keep the flare-ups in check for him. We tried various low doses of Metro for a good period of time, we tried no metro at all (all of these options included feeding him I/D), and FINALLY we figured out that the magic bullet seemed to be 500mg of Metro twice a day. The flare-ups never stopped on a dosage lower than that. Once we switched to 500mg twice a day, they all but stopped. He had one little bout on January 1st that lasted less than 24 hours and was not at all severe, and with Sucralfate he was as right as rain by the end of the next day (as it turned out, his anal glands were rather full so I think that may have been the issue that time).

No advice, but I've looked at the EN ingredients in the past and they are a fair bit different than the I/D, even though the foods are designed for the same purpose.

He didn't have problems on the I/D from what you said, just stopped wanting to eat it, right? Do you think that was just pickiness or was his stomach starting to bother him? (As you know I'm a believer in I/D, Beth is on it and does so well, though she doesn't have IBD per se.)

Good thinking, Anne. I looked at the ingredients for Purina EN (canned) and I noticed that it contains chicken, whereas I/D doesn't. He is sick of the I/D kibble but he will eat it if I hand-feed him and encourage him, and he still accepts the canned I/D (well - most days. I have tried different methods to lure him to his food bowl - let's just say that my microwave no longer smells vegan :lol: ).

He IS a picky hound. Sagan has been eating the same food since we adopted him, twice a day every day, and at mealtimes, without fail, he throws himself on it as if it's the first and most delicious meal he's ever had :rolleyes: Not so with Merlin, it's like Dinner With Bill but with a wizard as the protagonist... *sigh*

We experienced something similar with our Walter. He had a PLE, Lymphangictasia (which is like an IBD) and was on Metro and Pred. When it happened the first time we rushed him to the vet but he was fine by the time the DR saw him. They said it was likely a Senior Vestibular Symdrom (Walter was 11) and not a stroke like we were thinking. He had two of them but recovered within the hour each time.

Walter <3

That's interesting, Lynn... Merlin is only 7, although I too thought it might be Vestibular Syndrome - except that it was discounted by both the emergency vet and my regular vet when they examined him. He lacked many of the typical symptoms of the condition. They both thought that Metro toxicity was far more likely.

So - I have weird news. I think my vet may have been wrong after all about the food. Yesterday afternoon I was expecting him to have more diarrhea because I hadn't switched him back to his old Metro dosage yet. But DH came back from walking the dogs and told me that although his stool was very soft, it was formed and he was able to pick it up :blink: So I decided to wait to transition him back to only Metro again. I gave him his Tylan. By morning his stools had firmed up even more. So I'm starting to think it was the food, because the only change I have made over the last 36 hours is that I put him back on 100% I/D (he wasn't too happy about that).

I am going to let my vet know that I'm going to hold off on putting him back on only Metro until I can see if his poo continues to improve or if this is just temporary. If it gets worse again I will put him back on 500mg twice a day, but right now I think I have every reason to keep the Metro dosage lower, especially since Tylan does not have any known side-effects. Of course, I still have the issue that Merlin is sick of I/D... but when things are "normal" again I may try to give him some of the EN again (kibble only, which he loves) in very, very small quantities and see what happens. If things go south again at least I'll be fairly sure it's the food AND I may have to consider the possibility that he has an allergy or intolerance to chicken or something in the EN that I/D doesn't have.

large.sig-2024.jpg.80c0d3c049975de29abb0

Kerry with Lupin in beautiful coastal Maine. Missing Pippin, my best friend and sweet little heart-healer :brokenheart 2013-2023 :brokenheart 
Also missing the best wizard in the world, Merlin, and my sweet 80lb limpet, Sagan, every single day. 

I have to say that the I/D kibble seems to be working w/Dustin (not to jinx myself). He has had some very mild flair ups, but has not escalated as he has in the past. He is on no regular meds....just the flagyl and sucralfate if a flair up happens. I have had some close calls where I hear the gurgles, but if I can convince him to get his kibbles down, his stomach actually settles.

Good wishes for Merlin!!!

gallery_22387_3315_35426.jpg

Robin, EZ (Tribal Track), JJ (What a Story), Dustin (E's Full House) and our beautiful Jack (Mana Black Jack) and Lily (Chip's Little Miss Lily) both at the Bridge
The WFUBCC honors our beautiful friends at the bridge. Godspeed sweet angels.

Well, Kerry, remember kibble I/D has chicken though the canned doesn't, so if there's an issue it's probably not that. Anyway, glad he's doing better at the moment!

Ah, good to know. Thanks!

I have had some close calls where I hear the gurgles, but if I can convince him to get his kibbles down, his stomach actually settles.

Same exact thing here...

Kerry with Lupin in beautiful coastal Maine. Missing Pippin, my best friend and sweet little heart-healer :brokenheart 2013-2023 :brokenheart 
Also missing the best wizard in the world, Merlin, and my sweet 80lb limpet, Sagan, every single day. 

Guest SoulsMom

A piece of plain, white bread works wonders to help Soul when I hear the gurglies or he starts to get gassy. He usually gets a piece before bed every night

Thanks Amber - I tried bread, but it doesn't work for Merlin, unfortunately.

So as of this morning it looks as though his stools are deteriorating again :( If they are the same or worse this afternoon, I guess i'm switching back to Metro only. I had the hardest time getting him to eat again today... :headwall In the end I fed him just canned I/D.

I don't remember the equivalent of 1 cup of kibble. Is it 1 cup kibble = 1.5 cans wet food? Does anyone remember?

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

He's been A-Ok on that front :colgate

However I AM concerned about his stools and even though I know that one shouldn't pay too much attention to the second poo, this morning there was yellow stringy stuff in there and some droplets of red, raspberry-colored jelly. (Sorry :blush) So I'm thinking the vet probably gave me the right advice. Maybe I could put him back on the Metro twice a day and if he has another episode we could try 500mg in the morning and 250mg (instead of 500mg) in the evening. I think that's Dr. Katie's current plan, anyway.

PS Thanks for the info on canned v dry :)

No advice, just continued good thoughts for you all.

Kendra, devoted walker of Henry (Tom Jones: Great Son x Lucia)

Missing Badger (Vf Get R Done: Quicksand Slip x Ll Tee el See), 5/04 - 2/14, who opened our hearts and our home to greyhounds; Kenzie (Slatex Kenzie: Randy Handy x Slatex Chrisy), 4/03 - 10/14, who really knew what a good dog she was; Falcon (Atascocita Sabat: Dodgem by Design x Atascocita Barb), 9/10 - 1/20, who was grumpy and snarky but eventually a little bit cuddly, too; Grandpa Grey the Galgo Español, 2008 (?) to 2022, who made us feel lucky to be the ones to teach him about pet life; and Lucia (Larking About x Anastasia, 5/12 to 8/23), our first brood matron and the sweetest speckly girl. 

My vet is against using it right now. She said that if she had to put him on anything like that, she would try prednisone first. She says that there are too many unknowns with Budesonide :dunno

I am at my wits' end this morning. I just want to sit down in a corner and cry. I have tried everything to get him to eat. He refused everything with the exception of a few cookies and a small amount of EN. I had to give him something with his metro.

It seems I waited too long to switch him back. Last night he developed a terrible gurgly stomach, and I've been up all night. Gave him Sucralfate and his stomach improved a tad after about an hour. Since he won't eat, it's only a matter of time before his stomach starts up again :weep His stool was again tinged with blood and very very soft (I expected worse to be honest). He is now categorically refusing to touch any I/D - not even the wet food. I'm feeling exhausted and deflated. I just don't know what else to do.

Edited by MerlinsMum

Have you tried to make some really small wet meatballs of canned ID and bascially pill him with those...even a 1/4 c would get something in his stomach.

Molleigh-and-Snowy-sig2.jpg

CAROL & Molleigh (Queen Molly)
My Angel Girl (Slippy's Molly) ~ Thank you for sending me your namesake ~

Guest greytbookert

oh Kerry and Merlin! I'm so sorry for all your troubles!

:grouphug

I think I've mentioned before that when we struggled with IBD with Booker (many, many years ago) we did a "healing diet" which was designed to allow the gut to heal and allow for easy digestion. If you want to know more let me know...

We're all thinking of you

:(

I'm so sorry your boy isn't better. I can imagine how desperately worried you must feel.

You've probably already thought of this, but it might be worth picking up a can or two of the Z/D Ultra and the Purina equivalent to see if those would tempt him. Or some plain, gently cooked turkey/chicken and egg (which are in the I/D)?

Lots of hugs to you and your boy this morning.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Deb, I'd like to know more. Not sure what the healing part is about, but as long as no crystals or psychics are involved :rofl I'm game!

Have you tried to make some really small wet meatballs of canned ID and bascially pill him with those...even a 1/4 c would get something in his stomach.

I have, that's what I do every day to give him his pill. He is DONE with the I/D. Completely done. :( I actually had to force feed him some wet I/D just so I could give him his pill. I have tried everything to make it more appetizing for him - warming it, baking it, you name it.

He is sleeping now, at least, and his stomach is not gurgling at the moment. I am hoping the Flagyl does its thing soon. I'll give him some more Sucralfate this evening...

I'm so sorry Merlin is still not doing well. It's so hard to go through this.

In Star's diet he gets some pasta and cooked (boiled) white chicken along with his I/D and W/D. When Star has had bad flare-ups like this and won't eat anything, I can sometimes get him to eat a few pieces of the boiled chicken. If I can get him to eat just a few bites (hand-feeding them), I'd then go back and try a few more bites in a half hour or so and continue this throughout the day until he gradually would eat a little more each time. Sometimes it worked, sometimes it didn't, but thought I'd share it just in case.

Pat

Thank you, Pat, that is very helpful advice. in fact, I tried to do that this morning. I am leaving it for now, I'll let him rest, but I"m going to try again in a bit...