Jack (Logon Bruno)

Guest jackjack

Guest jackjack

Of our three adopted greyhounds (Jack, Stuey and Dave), only Dave remains. We have sent both Stuey and Jack to the bridge in 2011 (within a mere 7 months of each other), and we've been left emotionally drained.

We found out Jack had osteosarcoma in September. We were devastated. I tried to start writing a tribute to him at that time but could not. I tried again when we said goodbye this past weekend, but could not. I had to do it justice, because I feel like Jack deserves to have the world know just how special a dog he was.

He is the reason we love greyhounds. There were lots of things to love about Jack, but the thing I will remember most was both his perception of himself and his desire to be loved. Jack was pretty sure he was not a dog, but a human being with fur. This privilege meant he had little use for his housemates and that commands meant for Stuey and Dave were most surely not meant for him. Dave and Stu learned to live with Jack's quirks. DH and I found it amusing. Indeed, Jack would have been quite happy to be a single hound. How could this description possibly make for a good tribute? Well, Jack's perception of himself and his disconnect with other dogs meant that he focused all his energy on his people. More than anything, Jack wanted you to love him - almost to the point of desperation. This is what I will miss most - this big male dog with this endearing vulnerability. There is just something special about a dog whose world truly revolves around you, who wants you never to be cross with him, and who loves you more than life itself. Jack was this dog.

He had his share of health issues. Jack suffered from the occasional seizure, and he entered our home with evidence of several broken toes and a recurring back problem that needed treatment off and on throughout his time with us. Limping was a fact of life with Jack. Most greyhound owners fear the worst when their dog starts to limp. Jack limped often. Usually, a couple trips to the chiropractor would do the trick but, over the years, Jack had more x-rays than I care to remember. Any time his limping seemed excessive (for Jack), we would take him in. When he started to limp a few months ago, we were vigilant, but not initially worried. About two days later (when the limping didn't subside), we called the vet, and our worst fears were confirmed. Over the past few months, we have watched our boy seemingly go through the stages of death. It has been heartbreaking for DH and I to watch Jack deteriorate but, this past weekend, he let us know he was ready.

Our big, bunny soft, loving boy - he was simply one in a million. DH and I know how lucky we were to have this exceptional dog grace our home with his presence for over six years.

Rest well my dear friend. Im sure angel Stuey was there to greet you. I hate cancer.

IMG_5130_blsesmall.jpg

Edited by jackjack

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A beautiful tribute for Jack. We are so sorry for your loss.

Run pain-free Jack. :f_red

rocket-signature-jpeg.jpg

Camp Broodie. The current home of Mark Kay Mark Jack and Gracie Kiowa Safe Joan.  Always missing my boy Rocket Hi Noon Rocket,  Allie  Phoenix Dynamite, Kate Miss Kate, Starz Under Da Starz, Petunia MW Neptunia, Diva Astar Dashindiva, and LaVida I've Got Life

I'm so so sorry..............

My sweet angel Tanner-"Showoffs Magic" 79D-82695. DOB 7/22/99. Gotcha Day 6/20/05. Bridge Day 3/11/10. Big Beautiful Brave Angel Norm-"Showoffs Storm" 89B-83263. DOB 8/16/99. Gotcha Day 3/24/06. Bridge Day 4/20/13. Angel Girl Bree-"Breezy Betty" 201A-93631. DOB 2/05/01. Gotcha Day 5/11/10. Bridge Day 10/07/11. She reached the beach.... Maci-"CF's Owhatanite" 44H-29320. DOB 10/05/04. Gotcha Day 10/11/11. Greta-"Greta's Milam" 90B-54582. DOB 9/17/10. Gotcha Day 11/30/12. Bridge Day 03/30/17. Ben-"P Kay Key Train" 63A-61271. DOB 6/2/13. Gotcha Day 12/26/15.

I *love* that photo with Jack. Your heartfelt tribute moved me to tears, and I am so very sorry for your loss. :grouphug

Godspeed Jack, you were truly one in a million :gh_run

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.

Oh, Shelley, your tribute and stunningly beautiful picture brought tears to my eyes. Both perfectly capture the one in a million love you shared, especially these words:

"There is just something special about a dog whose world truly revolves around you, who wants you never to be cross with him, and who loves you more than life itself. Jack was this dog."

No wonder you have a humongous empty space in your home and heart.

I'm so sorry you lost your precious Jack.

gallery_11446_3599_3864.jpg
Nancy, Mom to Evangelina and Kiva
Missing Lacey, Patsy, Buster, my heart dog Nick, Winnie, Pollyanna, Tess, my precious Lydia, Calvin Lee, my angel butterfly Laila, and kitties Lily, Sam and Simon
My Etsy shop: http://www.etsy.com/shop/Catsburgandhoundtown

I'm very sorry for your loss. What a special boy............

Mary, mom to kitty Rebel.
Always missing Sherri (SO DELICIOUS) (12/6/2005-8/29/2018) kitties Marley (4/2000-12/3/2015) and Beady (4/1998-2/24/2006) and Dalmatian Daisy (7/25/1984-5/13/1999).

The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work

and give to those who would not - Thomas Jefferson

Guest FawnFan

I too was moved to tears from your beautiful picture and your words "There is just something special about a dog whose world truly revolves around you, who wants you never to be cross with him, and who loves you more than life itself. Jack was this dog." Jack sounds like an incredible hound. I'm so very sorry for your loss. Run free dear sweet special Jack run free now.

- Jean

This is all too sad. We are losing some many of the dogs who's names we know so well.

Yes, Jack was a very special boy. Thank you for sharing his personality with us.

I do hate cancer. It is the thief who robs us, everyday, of those we love.

Say not in grief, "he is no more," but live in thankfulness that he was. ~ Hebrew proverb

Irene Ullmann w/Flying Odin and Mama Mia in Lower Delaware
Angels Brandy, John E, American Idol, Paul, Fuzzy and Shine
Handcrafted Greyhound and Custom Clocks http://www.houndtime.com
Zoom Doggies-Racing Coats for Racing Greyhounds

I'm so sorry the time came, and that he couldn't stay forever after all.

Godspeed, Jack.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

I am so very sorry your handsome boy had to leave you! :cry1 :cry1 :cry1

Kim and Bruce - with Rick (Rick Roufus 6/30/16) and missing my sweet greyhound Angels Rainey (LG's Rainey 10/4/2000 - 3/8/2011), Anubis (RJ's Saint Nick 12/25/2001 - 9/12/12) and Zeke (Hey Who Whiz It 4/6/2009 - 7/20/2020) and Larry (PTL Laroach 2/24/2007 - 8/2/2020) -- and Chester (Lab) (8/31/1990 - 5/3/2005), Captain (Schipperke) (10/12/1992 - 6/13/2005) and Remy (GSP) (?/?/1998 - 1/6/2005) at the bridge
"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut." -- Ernest Hemmingway