00-Dude, Aka Voodoo, Aka Tnj Voodoo

greysmom

With a little editing, this is the article I wrote about Dude for the Greyhound Gang's "Most Loved Hound" feature in August. Thank you Judy (4My2Greys) for winning the auction for him!

VooDoo (TNJ VooDoo) was still really a puppy when he came to us to be fostered in early 2005. He wasn't very good as a racing dog, mostly, we suspect, because he just wanted to play all the time! Tall, skinny, shiny black, and a bundle of energy, he needed a foster home right away, and we were available. We had adopted our first Greyhound, Libby, in August of the previous year. And we had already had one successful foster come to our home and then move on to his Forever Couch. Little did we know at the time what we were getting into!

Libby and VooDoo hit it off right away, in spite of VooDoo's irritating pestering and bounciness. He very quickly captured the hearts of both my husband and me, even though we were very clear that we only wanted one dog permanently in our home. So we taught VooDoo - or Dude, as he came to be called - how to go up and down the stairs, how to walk on a leash, how to play with toys, and what treats were all about. The one thing we weren't successful at was keeping him off the couch. He found his place on ours within five minutes of being in our home. We should have known then that he was never going to anybody else's.

The first day (cell phone picture, sorry for the bad quality)

2068116310013527144S500x500Q85.jpg

It took the finality of him going to an adoption event, and having someone interested in him, that forced us to realize how much we loved him, and didn't want to let him go. Fortunately, the adoption interest didn't go any further, and we told our group that we'd be keeping him. Dude was the dog that had been with us the longest. He was the center of our Universe at home - the glue that really held all our personalities together.

See how black his face was!

2591669410013527144S500x500Q85.jpg

He's had his ups and downs - some more serious than others. He came to us on thyroid supplementation and we discovered he was being over-medicated. Once we stopped the thyroid meds, he calmed down considerably and was able to maintain a healthy body weight. He broke a weight-bearing toe on his back leg and had to have it amputated. He's also had the various nicks and cuts and bites and pokes and falls that accompany an active, full-speed-all-the-time Greyhound.

Some of my favorite pictures of him.

2897296140013527144S500x500Q85.jpg

2364824080013527144S500x500Q85.jpg

His favorite birthday treat - a Double Turkey Subway sandwich!

2802086730013527144S500x500Q85.jpg

Dude's biggest volunteer activity with our adoption group (GPA-NW.org) has been as a rider on the float for the annual Starlight Parade. He loves meeting new people and going places. The world is his oyster as he's riding along, watching his adoring public wave at him! His favorite place is the beach, running up and down on the sand as we try to keep up with him!

2563972190013527144S500x500Q85.jpg

Dude and his characters!

00-Dude - Bond, Dude Bond!

2556318650013527144S425x425Q85.jpg

Pimpmaster Dude!

2893746140013527144S425x425Q85.jpg

Chef Dude!

2767047270013527144S425x425Q85.jpg

The Rat Pack Dude!

2408800650013527144S425x425Q85.jpg

And the famous Kaptin Red Davey Dude!

2930237370013527144S425x425Q85.jpg

Dude had to cede his Parade duties to Toni this year. He was diagnosed with osteosarcoma in January, and had surgery to amputate his left hind leg. He went through a course of chemotherapy (subsidized by the wonderful Greyhound Health and Wellness Program at Ohio State University), and he's made friends with all the doctors and techs he's come to know. Everyone loves Dude!

Dude is a very special Greyhound. He's a brat. He's a champion snuggler. He's sweet. He's naughty. He holds entire conversations with you when he wants you to know how he feels. He transports toys. He eats cherry tomatoes off the vine. He roaches most of the time when he's asleep. He's handsome, and clever, and affectionate, and always happy and bouncy. If he has a theme song, it would be Tigger's song from the Winnie the Pooh books.

(paraphrasing)

Oooooohhhh

The wonderful thing about Dudie

Is Dudie's a wonderful thing

His tops are made out of rubber

His bottoms are made out of spring

He's bouncy, flouncy, trouncy, pouncy

Fun, fun, fun, fun, FUN!

But the most wonderful thing about Dudie

Is he's the only one

Yes, heeeeeeeeeeeeeeee's

The Only One!

I have a few more pics but I can't post them all in one. Another installment coming.

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest PhillyPups

Chris, I am so very sorry. Your tribute to 00Dude is in true 00Dude fashion, a celebration of his life. :kiss2

Dude is one I have loved from afar for a long time and feel like I have lost one of my own. :bighug

Run with teh angels 00Dude, and show em how its done!!

I'm so so sorry.

My sweet angel Tanner-"Showoffs Magic" 79D-82695. DOB 7/22/99. Gotcha Day 6/20/05. Bridge Day 3/11/10. Big Beautiful Brave Angel Norm-"Showoffs Storm" 89B-83263. DOB 8/16/99. Gotcha Day 3/24/06. Bridge Day 4/20/13. Angel Girl Bree-"Breezy Betty" 201A-93631. DOB 2/05/01. Gotcha Day 5/11/10. Bridge Day 10/07/11. She reached the beach.... Maci-"CF's Owhatanite" 44H-29320. DOB 10/05/04. Gotcha Day 10/11/11. Greta-"Greta's Milam" 90B-54582. DOB 9/17/10. Gotcha Day 11/30/12. Bridge Day 03/30/17. Ben-"P Kay Key Train" 63A-61271. DOB 6/2/13. Gotcha Day 12/26/15.

I'm so sorry you've lost your wonderful boy.

15060353021_97558ce7da.jpg
Kathy and Q (CRT Qadeer from Fuzzy's Cannon and CRT Bonnie) and
Jane (WW's Aunt Jane from Trent Lee and Aunt M); photos to come.

Missing Silver (5.19.2005-10.27.2016), Tigger (4.5.2007-3.18.2016),
darling Sam (5.10.2000-8.8.2013), Jacey-Kasey (5.19.2003-8.22.2011), and Oreo (1997-3.30.2006)

Installment 2

From his Birthday last year. See how WHITE his face is!

2057867460013527144S500x500Q85.jpg

On the beach in December 2010

2435334460013527144S500x500Q85.jpg

His amazing portrait by Karen Crompton

2719595920013527144S600x600Q85.jpg

Tripodding on the beach with Dad

2572765810013527144S500x500Q85.jpg

Family portrait from the same trip

2188238740013527144S500x500Q85.jpg

Roaching - his favorite position. Sooooooooo elegant and debonair - KNOT!

2735945150013527144S500x500Q85.jpg

The last picture I took of him, modelling a coat for the MIss Nellie Auction

2947273980013527144S500x500Q85.jpg

Edited by greysmom

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

I love your tribute Chris!!!!!!! Dude was a Very Special boy that will never be forgotten!!!! There has been too many stories and his love will shine on Forever.... I am just so sorry that he had to say his goodbyes.... But know you will see him again and his legend will live on forever until you meet again!!!!! :grouphug :grouphug

:f_red:gh_run Run Free Gorgeous Dude!!!! :f_red

We saw a bright star last night and we know that was you! All your friends are going to miss you but as long as your mommy keeps the stories coming we will always be happy to hear them! Our thoughts and prayers are with you all...Dude you teach them all at that Rainbow Bridge how to be the Best Pirate ever and please say hello to our Champ!!!!!! He was our pirate too! :colgate

darlenesiggy2.jpg
Darlene Mom to: Aladdin, Sophie ,Pongo, Jasmine, Relic Forever in our Hearts Champ at the Rainbow Bridge.

Let a greyhound race into your heart Adopt

Bay Area Greyhound Adoptions INC. Naples/ Fort Myers Chapter

I am so sorry! 00-Dude was one of my favorite characters in C&F. I think I'm beginning to hate the month of October - too many dogs gone.....just gone!

Lover ya - big guy! Will miss your daily contributions to the WFUBBC.

Linda, Mom to Fuzz, Barkley, and the felines Miss Kitty, Simon and Joseph.Waiting at The Bridge: Alex, Josh, Harley, Nikki, Beemer, Anna, Frank, Rachel, my heart & soul, Suze and the best boy ever, Dalton.<p>

:candle ....for all those hounds that are sick, hurt, lost or waiting for their forever homes. SENIORS ROCK :rivethead

Guest jackjack

Oh Chris! :grouphug I'm so, so sorry to hear about Dude! He sounds like he was a wonderful boy, and very lucky to have found you. Run pain free, Dude. Cancer does suck. f_yellow

Dude your crossing is something I never wanted to read but here it is. I am going to miss your daily Portland weather reports & you positive attitude & just YOU :angelwings

Chris & Dennis he was one in trillion :bighug & you are in our thoughts

Caroline & Sabrina :brokenheart

Edited by sabrina

gallery_19924_3574_6591.jpg

Caroline, Mom to Daphne (49B-50215) and Penny (41D-55779)
Remembering Bridge Angels Margo and Sabrina

We are so sorry to hear that Dude had to leave us. Love the pictures - I had forgotten about Chef Dude - one of my favorite Dude personas.

Run pain-free Dude. You will be missed, but never forgotten.

rocket-signature-jpeg.jpg

Camp Broodie. The current home of Mark Kay Mark Jack and Gracie Kiowa Safe Joan.  Always missing my boy Rocket Hi Noon Rocket,  Allie  Phoenix Dynamite, Kate Miss Kate, Starz Under Da Starz, Petunia MW Neptunia, Diva Astar Dashindiva, and LaVida I've Got Life

Oh, Chris, even through tears, his pictures take my breath away. Your love, understanding, and deep appreciation for each wonderful, unique facet of his personality shines through in each one. He had a gift, didn't he, of making everyone who knew him feel special. Even though there are many here who weren't as lucky as I was to meet him, just once, we all felt as if we knew him. We felt as if we shared him with you and Dennis because you so perceptively gave his personality a voice, and we could identify with what he embodied---courage, joy, living in the moment and spreading happiness equally among everyone he met. If he hadn't been so silly, so funny, so totally willing to compromise his dignity for the sake of making someone fall in love, I would have been in awe. Well, I WAS in awe. He was a rock star (along with his many other personalities :colgate), a really approachable rock star with a kind and loving spirit. And he was an inspiration to all of us.

I could say that you're really lucky that he picked you, but you know that. I do hope you know that he was really lucky that you picked HIM. And we're really lucky that you chose to share him with us.

The empty space that he has left in your home and hearts has got to feel enormous. You're still hurting from losing Dorie, and it seems impossible to think of Dude being gone as well. He was the one who should have beat the monster. He fought so hard, and had so much love surrounding him. But if a life well lived until the very end is the best kind of victory, then Dude was truly the biggest winner of all.

I'm thinking of you and your family with much sympathy, and sharing your sadness.

gallery_11446_3599_3864.jpg
Nancy, Mom to Evangelina and Kiva
Missing Lacey, Patsy, Buster, my heart dog Nick, Winnie, Pollyanna, Tess, my precious Lydia, Calvin Lee, my angel butterfly Laila, and kitties Lily, Sam and Simon
My Etsy shop: http://www.etsy.com/shop/Catsburgandhoundtown

Wow, I'm sorry. He made it for so long and did so well that I was beginning to think he might beat the odds and become an osteo "success" story.

What an awesome Dude.

Kristen with

Penguin (L the Penguin) Flying Penske x L Alysana

Costarring The Fabulous Felines: Squeak, Merlin, Bailey & Mystic

68sgSRq.jpg

Dude brought light to a lot of people. I am so sorry that he is gone far too soon.

Missing my sweet girl Scout. My snuggler, my chow-hound, my kissy girl.
It never thunders at the Bridge, and your food bowl is ALWAYS filled.

So strange not living in Atty World. I was a love struck handmaiden to your every whim.

Chris, I am so sorry. Your tribute is beautiful - in amongst the tears streaming down my face, there were smiles as you shared the special Dude moments. A truly special hound, your Dude.

And he will always be with us.

Run free and fast Dude - you will be missed always.

Deb, and da Croo
In my heart always, my Bridge Angels - Macavity, Tila the wannabe, Dexter, CDN Cold Snap (Candy), PC Herode Boy, WZ Moody, Poco Zinny, EM's Scully, Lonsome Billy, Lucas, Hurry Hannah, Daisy (Apache Blitz), Sadie (Kickapoo Kara), USS Maxi, Sam's Attaboy, Crystal Souza, Gifted Suzy, Zena, and Jetlag who never made it home.

http://www.northernskygreyhounds.com

A beautiful tribute for a beautiful boy. I loved sharing the smiles, the joy, the mischief, the love of tomatoes fresh off the vine ... all the Dude-isims. :lol He'll be in a lot of hearts forever, and bringing smiles when we think of him.

gallery_13728_3197_7131.jpg

Charla, Mom to Carl ( Bella Monsoon ) 5/2002 - 9/2016 and remembering Gracie Rose ( Cee Bar Xtreme ) 2/2002 - 1/2014

Guest dizzyLu72

I've been here a little over a year.. and although have met barely a handful of GT'ers.. I feel like I know some of these dogs through the posts and pictures. The longer I'm here the more I start to get attached to hounds I've never even met. Dude was one of the members that I felt I knew through posts and photos. October has been a busy month at the bridge.

Run free sweet Dude...

Sweet prayers to your family.

f_yellow:grouphug

Edited by dizzyLu72

I was so hoping I wouldn't see Dude's name here for a very long time. I'm so sorry. We'll miss him. :grouphug

siggy_robinw_tbqslg.jpg
Xavi the galgo and Peter the cat. Missing Iker the galgo ?-Feb.9/19, Treasure (USS Treasure) April 12/01-May 6/13, Phoenix (Hallo Top Son) Dec.14/99-June 4/11 and Loca (Reko Swahili) Oct.9/95 - June 1/09, Allen the boss cat, died late November, 2021, age 19.