Wabi Has Blown Away Like A Dandelion

Xan

Wabi's gone.

H and I are in shock. It happened so fast. At 6:30 last night, I was calling vets because she seemed to have gone into gastric torsion (aka bloat, where the stomach actually flips around, cutting off any flow of normal stuff and blood, resulting in all sorts of very bad things and requiring emergency surgery to survive), and by 10pm, we were fitting the sod together on top of her grave.

I can't even tell you how this feels. I'm trying to remember the lessons of Wabi: take joy in every little thing, every day, despite any obstacles or physical constraints. I'm trying to be happy for her, that her passing was so fast, and she never had to grow old, or be slowly whittled away by her various weirdnesses. I'm trying to remember all the fun stuff, and how she made us laugh and smile every single day, how she brought us Pogo (for better and worse! ;) ), and was loved by so many because of her unique life.

And speaking of Pogo, he's bounding and bouncing around, banging against me, snorting, tossing toys ... full of fun and life. That's a lesson, too.

I know you all understand how devastating this is, how hard it is to see through tear-swollen eyes, to type with shaking hands, to consider going on as if life still had a spark when you saw it go out just hours ago. Pogo reminds me that life can still feel good. Maybe just not so much right now.

Wabi was special, inside and out. Born with multiple deformities, she was a kennel favorite until I saw a picture of her, and KNEW she was my dog. Many people moved mountains to bring her to me, whom I can never ever thank enough. She arrived weak and lame in one leg, with the foot knuckled under, and with a sinus infection that streamed goo in a long ribbon from one nostril. ElizabethGPS took her in and got her vetted until my husband and I had gotten moved into our new house, holding her for about a month. In that month she lost her spleen during her spay, died under anesthesia, was resuscitated, had another operation to try to repair her hips enough so that she might gain use of her funny leg, then had to have her stitches re-done since the little monkey removed them herself, and wooed me from afar. When I first got my hands on her, I never ever wanted to let go. She was soft as a bunny, and stayed that way her whole life. Despite the surgery and months of physical therapy, Wabi insisted she was just fine walking on mostly three legs with a kick-stand, and that's just the way it was.

Wabi has been a real star here on GT, too. Thanks to the magic of Photoshop, she has traveled through time and space, and even literature, on a couple of epic voyages. She's met several of our GT family and some of their dogs, all of whom she at least attempted to chase around her yard, scooting along with her head up their hinders until they ran away from her nagging encouraging barking. A particular favorite of hers was Lori's Mazie. Twice Wabi's size, Wabi didn't care. Those spots just mesmerized her, and simply had to be harassed into running non-stop the few times they met.

I work at home, winters are long, wet and cold here (not much fun outside) and I don't travel much: Wabi and I spent a LOT of time together. Leaving her, even to go out to a movie, took an effort of will. Going on trips always meant tears of missing her. Now she's gone, and won't ever butt that snorty little face into my lap again.

Hug your loved ones. That's all I can say for now. I should post pictures, but it's just too much at the moment.

GT-siggy-spring12.jpg

My Inspirations: Grey Pogo, borzoi Katie, Meep the cat, AND MY BELOVED DH!!!
Missing Rowdy, Coco, Brilly, Happy and Wabi.

• Replies 225
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Beautiful tribute. Stories of Wabi always brought a smile. I am so sorry.

Missing my sweet girl Scout. My snuggler, my chow-hound, my kissy girl.
It never thunders at the Bridge, and your food bowl is ALWAYS filled.

So strange not living in Atty World. I was a love struck handmaiden to your every whim.

OMG Xan, I'm sitting here in tears. I don't know what to say. I know there are no words that can bring you any comfort now. You said it more beautifully than I could, even at such a traumatic time. I'm going to miss your funny face little girl. I think all of GT fell in love with her and I know she will be sorely missed.

My heart goes out to you and DH. Take comfort in knowing the pain will one day subside a bit and you will be able to look at her pictures again with a smile instead of tears. It will take time but it will happen. A huge hug to you. I know your pain.

Godspeed Wabi. You brought so much joy and happiness to an entire community of people who never had the chance to meet you in person. Find the dandelions at the bridge and run to your hearts content.

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

(((Hugs))) I'm so sorry.

gallery_12867_3348_20333.jpg
~Beth, with a crazy mixed crew of misfits.
~ Forever and Always missing and loving Steak, Carmen, Ivy, Isis, and Madi.
Don't cry because it's ended, Smile because it happened.
Before you judge me, try to keep an open mind, not everyone likes your taste.

(((Xan and family)))

I said on the other thread, but it bears remembering--The Bridge has fields and fields of dandelion that re-grow after having been eaten.

gallery_14387_3165_6886.jpg

Patsy and DH with the Humane Society specials, Linus & Jazz, in North Dakota

Guest DoofBert

Run fast and run free Wabi!!!! Send your spirit across the clouds and be sure to remember to stay in touch with the momma....

Xan.... no words can fill your heart.. Just sending hugs and letting you know that we understand.

Jayne

I am shocked and saddened at this news. I am so so sorry for your loss of such a truly unique girlie who touched the lives of many, often without ever knowing it.

gallery_4518_2903_2157.jpg
~Aimee, with Flower, Alan, Queenie, & Spodee Odee! And forever in my heart: Tipper, Sissy, Chancy, Marla, Dazzle, Alimony, and Boo. This list is too damned long.

My heart truly goes out to you Xan, she taught so many of us so many valuable lessons we should have learned long ago.

God speed to you baby girl, there truly must have been a job waiting that only you could do. You were one who there was never a question as to why you were here on earth.

Rest well, you deserve peace

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Missing my little Misty who took a huge piece of my heart with her on 5/2/09, and Ekko, on 6/28/12

:candle For the sick, the lost, and the homeless

Oh Xan, I am so sorry. I loved your girl from afar as do so many others. She will be missed by so many.

Melanie and Eric with Leminim and Eieio and silly kitty Elsa.
See you again someday, my sweet Payton (Flying Payton May 9, 2000-March 18, 2012)
Missing my sweet JJ, world's sweetest cat (April 1997-November 30, 2015)

Stealing food in heaven, my darling Minnie (2006-April 21, 2016)
Reunited with her favorite person in heaven, my Dad, Satin the skittish kitty (2002-May 7, 2016)

I am sure her loss will reverberate through GT with great force - as she deserves - since she was indeed a force to be reckoned with. Her life was our life's lesson and your vision of her and for her will never be forgotten. I am so very sorry that she is gone.

Linda, Mom to Fuzz, Barkley, and the felines Miss Kitty, Simon and Joseph.Waiting at The Bridge: Alex, Josh, Harley, Nikki, Beemer, Anna, Frank, Rachel, my heart & soul, Suze and the best boy ever, Dalton.<p>

:candle ....for all those hounds that are sick, hurt, lost or waiting for their forever homes. SENIORS ROCK :rivethead

Oh, no, Xan. I am so very sorry. Tears are flowing as I write this. I always hoped that somehow, someday I would get to meet her in person. She always brought a smile to my face. Even now, through the shock of hearing about her death, a smile is on my face as I think about her chomping dandelions. She was sooooo cute and sooooo special. I am so very, very sorry that your little girl is gone. I know your pain and I am sorry you are experiencing it. Hugs, Sheila

Edited by retiredracers

Elphie, Kulee, Amanda, Harmony, Alex (hound mix), Phantom, Norbet, Willis (dsh), Autumn (Siamese) & Max (OSH) & mama rat, LaLa & baby Poppy! My bridge kids: Crooke & Mouse (always in my heart), Flake, Buzz, Snake, Prince (GSD), Justin & Gentry (Siamese), Belle (Aussie/Dalmatian mix), Rupert (amstaff) and Fred, Sirius, Severus, Albus, George, Hagrid, Hermione, Minerva, Marilyn, Wren, Molly, Luna, Tonks, Fleur, Ginny, Neville, Bill, Percy, Rose & Charlie (rats)

I couldn't believe when I saw Wabi's name here... I am so sad for the loss of this special girl. Even the 100's, 1000's(?) of us who never knew her personally... we feel we knew her.

May dandelions always bloom brightly before you and your family!

Amy and Tim in Beverly, MA, with Chase and Always missing Kingsley (Drama King) and Ruby (KB's Bee Bopper).

Xan

I am sitting here in shock after reading of Wabi's passing. I am so sorry. I followed Wabi's H&M thread. Wabi, please show your Mommy and Daddy a sign that you made it to the bridge ok.

Hugs to you all.

Amy & Maddie

Amy Human Mommy to fur baby Maddie (Doobiesaurus) TDI certified. May 5, 2002-September 12, 2014 and Mille (Mac's Bayou Baby)CGC, TDI certified.

http://i270.photobucket.com/albums/jj93/Chillyhorse/siggies/maddie.jpg"]http://i270. photobucket.com/albums/jj93/Chillyhorse/siggies/maddie.jpg[/img]

Wabi has always been the shining star that makes us believe in the love of people for their hounds and hounds for their people. Her fearlessness in the face of physical limitations showed her strength and determination to live her life to the fullest. It is a lesson that we could all live by. Your life Xan, was so very blessed by the presence of Wabi as hers was by the love you gave her along the gift of allowing her to be "herself". Our hearts cry with yours on the loss of this very special pup who made such a heartfelt impact on us all.

L.

large.rycezmom_Sig.jpg.c7b7915d082b1bb35
The more I see of man, the more I like dogs. ~Mme. de Staël
Missing my Bridge Angels Ryce, Bo, Jim, Miss Millie, Miss Rose, Gustopher P Jones (Pimpmaster G), Miss Isabella and Miss Star

I am so, so sorry. I can't believe she's gone. I remember reading through the Wabi saga as it happened and rooting for her. All of the pics, the physical therapy... the dandelions and your gorgeous pics of her...and throughout it all, her sheer joy at life. She was so special and touched so many that met her. :grouphug :grouphug

In vino veritas
Rachael with Rook, missing Sully, Sebau, and Diesel

I am so sorry for the loss of your wonderful Wabi. She was a special pet and will always remain in your memory.

Take comfort in knowing that Wabi is at peace, pain free and running once again with the wind.

Irene Ullmann w/Flying Odin and Mama Mia in Lower Delaware
Angels Brandy, John E, American Idol, Paul, Fuzzy and Shine
Handcrafted Greyhound and Custom Clocks http://www.houndtime.com
Zoom Doggies-Racing Coats for Racing Greyhounds

OMG Xan I am SO sorry!!!! My heart broke when I saw her name here :cry1 :cry1 :cry1

she was SUCH as special little girl and I know how much you loved her :cry1 :cry1

Kim and Bruce - with Rick (Rick Roufus 6/30/16) and missing my sweet greyhound Angels Rainey (LG's Rainey 10/4/2000 - 3/8/2011), Anubis (RJ's Saint Nick 12/25/2001 - 9/12/12) and Zeke (Hey Who Whiz It 4/6/2009 - 7/20/2020) and Larry (PTL Laroach 2/24/2007 - 8/2/2020) -- and Chester (Lab) (8/31/1990 - 5/3/2005), Captain (Schipperke) (10/12/1992 - 6/13/2005) and Remy (GSP) (?/?/1998 - 1/6/2005) at the bridge
"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut." -- Ernest Hemmingway

Xan, I am so terribly sorry. My heart is shattered for you. I lost River a month ago (although I never posted about it) and know how difficult it is to imagine our lives without our precious ones to caress.

Wabi was exceptional in so many ways and wrapped herself around hearts throughout the world. We celebrated her courage, her survival and her extraordinary enthusiasm for life. Now we will weep together at her passing. Please accept my heart felt condolences. (((gentle hugs)))

With Love, Annie