Sudden Grand Mal/now Paralyzed

Minny who will be 9 yoa next month had a sudden grandmal siezure yesterday afternoon. He had never had any problems at all before except for a rxn to a rabies shot last time. I rushed him to evet and he had another siezure last night. He is now completely paralyzed and has been since last night. I did get him to eat some food today but he has to eat it hand fed in small amounts out the side of his mouth since he can't raise his head. It is excrutiatingly sad. He appears cognizant of what is going on and cries and gets anxious because apparently he doesn't understand why his body won't work. Needless to say the evet wants to do every test in the book for the revenue but I don't want to put him through any unecessary test/stress/more needles etc. if theres no point to it. I'm wondering what difference would it make to do a CT for instance and possibly see a brain tumor which is what they suspect(extensive bloodwork is normal). If he's paralyzed and not improving what differenc would it make to have a picture of the evil thing. But I DON"T KNOW. I have never had a siezure dog before and if it could possibly help him recover then its clearly a go. I keep thinking that maybe he will recover. Its only been 1 day and he hasn't had anymore since last night. Any prayers, advise, opinions or comments are appreciated. Unable to talk to vet this afternoon because they "were too busy and had 3 emergencies coming in" so her opinion is known only to her. Also I don't know if it is related but it appeared that he had developed 6-12 little red splotches in his skin on the hindlegs and belly. I wanted to tell the vet but they would not allow me to since they were so busy, so I asked them to please tell her and have her call so I can tell her then. Still waiting for that. (And no there is no better facility in the area- only worse.)

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh no!! I don't know anything about seizures, but I've had two dogs that were very ill and I didn't do a ton of testing to get a definitive diagnosis (one was osteo, the other I'll never know for sure) because I didn't think it mattered. Both times all I cared about was relieving them of their pain.

I hope Minny improves quickly. Please keep us posted, OK?

Edited by robinw

siggy_robinw_tbqslg.jpg
Xavi the galgo and Peter the cat. Missing Iker the galgo ?-Feb.9/19, Treasure (USS Treasure) April 12/01-May 6/13, Phoenix (Hallo Top Son) Dec.14/99-June 4/11 and Loca (Reko Swahili) Oct.9/95 - June 1/09, Allen the boss cat, died late November, 2021, age 19.

Guest eaglflyt

How long ago was the last seizure? Minny may be in a prolonged postictal phase. Also, what meds were given? Could it possibly be a medication reaction or adverse effect causing the inability to move? Personally, I'd give more time to hopefully recover from the seizures and the meds I'm sure Minny has been given. I'd also have them review the lab work for any irregularities and indications of underlying problems that may possibly be corrected.

I'm praying for Minny and you, too.

Edited by eaglflyt

Unfortunately seizures at this age are usually due to some dtsease in the body and in most cases it's a tumor or leision in the brain. As to whether he will ever get full movement back will depend where in the brain the problem lies. Is there a possibility that he had a stroke along with the seizure? I'm so sorry you're both going through this.

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

Could he have hurt his neck when he went down? It could be worth a cervical CT to see if he's herniated or ruptured a disk or, worse, severed his spinal cord. That could tell you if you really need to worry about the seizures or not.

Angie, Pewter, and Storm-puppy

Forever missing Misty-Mousie (9/9/99 - 10/5/15)
Fort Wayne, Indiana

Would be worth doing a spinal x-ray at least, if not a CT scan. Could be a tumor but could also be an area of inflammation. Is he getting some meds?

Sending prayers.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

I would do the CT scan. There may be a tumour in the brain, and - who knows - it may be operable and he may have a chance to recover.

No fever? Nothing at all in the bloodwork? How strange. I hope you get to the bottom of it. It must be truly distressing. :(

GTAvatar-2015_zpsb0oqcimj.jpg

The plural of anecdote is not data

Brambleberry Greyhounds My Etsy Shop

I say try to get x-rays at the least and if you can afford it, a CT scan would definitely show more. I am very sorry you and Minny are going through this, it is very scary and heartbreaking.

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Gus an coinnich sinn a'rithist my boys and little girl.

Guest ThunderPaws

Unfortunately seizures at this age are usually due to some dtsease in the body and in most cases it's a tumor or leision in the brain. As to whether he will ever get full movement back will depend where in the brain the problem lies. Is there a possibility that he had a stroke along with the seizure? I'm so sorry you're both going through this.

I am so sorry to hear about Minny... Sending healing thoughts and prayers.

I agree with JillysFullHouse, my Waldo had a sudden seizure/stroke at the age of 10 1/2 which left him unable to move his hind legs correctly, he also had LP. I assume there was more to it than just a seizure/stroke so I let him go...

Oh my gosh :cry1 :cry1 :ohno I am so terribly sorry. I can't even begin to imagine how worried you must be. I have zero experience of seizures, but I am keeping you and Minny in my thoughts :grouphug:goodluck:candle :candle

large.sig-2024.jpg.80c0d3c049975de29abb0

Kerry with Lupin in beautiful coastal Maine. Missing Pippin, my best friend and sweet little heart-healer :brokenheart 2013-2023 :brokenheart 
Also missing the best wizard in the world, Merlin, and my sweet 80lb limpet, Sagan, every single day. 

They've had him on valium and phenobarbital. After phoning 3-4 times since I posted this the er vet called finally. She said she was not going to give him any pheno tonight and wanted to assess him tomorrow before deciding if they wanted to proceed with the CT scan and spinal fluid tap. God I don't want to put him through that if its pointless but I don't want to miss anything if he could be helped either. They are supposed to get another internalist opinion tomorrow to help decide. Its so sad when he looks at you and gets so anxious because his body won't work. She said now he can move but he just can't stand up or anything that it is mostly a complete lack of coordination. He is on fluids and he ate pretty good out of my hand today and he is urinating they said. I was leaning to just doing the CT scan but now she said wait till he is evaluated tomorrow. Poor Minny. He didn't fall. He had just laid down on the sofa when it happenned and I was right with him from the first. The last siezure was last night at 9PM. I've got to give him some more time if nothing else I think as long as he's eating etc. even though it is so difficult for him mentally not to be able to get up or anything. The vet did say that sometimes the body adjusting to the high doses of pheno contributed to this and that she has seen dogs like this recover. As far as the appearamce of the red blotches she said she talked to an internalist and they think it is some unrelated greyhound blood anomoly.

Some movement and being able to urinate is great news. Keeping up the prayers for your pupper.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

IMHO, if he can move now then he might even be better tomorrow (or maybe worse). It doesn't sound like he is in pain but is likely confused .. so maybe you can take a few more days and see what the tests show and what progress he makes over that time.