Sudden Grand Mal/now Paralyzed

Our e-vet clinic here requires that you move your hound by 7:00 a.m. the next morning. Mike had to go pick up Jilly Bean and move her to our vet at 6:30 a.m. If she were still in need of e-vet services, we would have had to pick her up and take her back to the e-vet for the night.

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm so sorry to hear about this!!! :( :( :( :(

the paralysis almost sounds like an FCE issue, maybe caused by or that caused the seizure? I sure hope the paralyzation goes away quickly!

you know what we went through with Rainey -- having a seizure dog is trying, if it's "just" seizures and it's worse when it's something bad going on in the brain like Rainey, since she never had a chance of improving (we didn't know that). As far as the CT, they usually do an MRI and not a CT but? and they have to be put under to do one. We did one with Rainey, showed nothing. If he can come out of the paralysis, then it's worth a try to find the right combo of meds for seizures (although I"m a little surprised they put him on meds after just 1? they usually wait until there's more but maybe it's due to the paralysis?) and hopefully you can get them under control. It's certainly worth a try.

I am sending MANY prayers that he improves and he can get back to his normal self!!! :hope :hope I feel so bad for you both!!!! :( :( :(

ETA: just read the 2nd page and dear Lord, what terrible vets! I can understand the "not upsetting him" thing but good God. You should be able to see him and feed him!

Edited by RaineysMom

Kim and Bruce - with Rick (Rick Roufus 6/30/16) and missing my sweet greyhound Angels Rainey (LG's Rainey 10/4/2000 - 3/8/2011), Anubis (RJ's Saint Nick 12/25/2001 - 9/12/12) and Zeke (Hey Who Whiz It 4/6/2009 - 7/20/2020) and Larry (PTL Laroach 2/24/2007 - 8/2/2020) -- and Chester (Lab) (8/31/1990 - 5/3/2005), Captain (Schipperke) (10/12/1992 - 6/13/2005) and Remy (GSP) (?/?/1998 - 1/6/2005) at the bridge
"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut." -- Ernest Hemmingway

My heart just hurts for you. Sending many good thoughts and prayers for a good outcome.

I was just thinking the same thing....my heart just aches for you. I will send all the prayers and well wishes for your baby!

gallery_22387_3315_35426.jpg

Robin, EZ (Tribal Track), JJ (What a Story), Dustin (E's Full House) and our beautiful Jack (Mana Black Jack) and Lily (Chip's Little Miss Lily) both at the Bridge
The WFUBCC honors our beautiful friends at the bridge. Godspeed sweet angels.

Just seeing this. How entirely awful this must be for you. :( You'll both be in my thoughts and prayers. :grouphug:hope

Mary with Jumper Jack (2/17/11) and angels Shane (PA's Busta Rime, 12/10/02 - 10/14/16) and Spencer (Dutch Laser, 11/25/00 - 3/29/13).

Just seeing this for the first time. Sending lots of prayers your way.

:hope:grouphug

Rita, mom to Dakota (Dakotas Dream) & Wish (Kiowa Wish Wish) and my angels

Toby (Sol Marcus) and Robin (Greys Robin Hood)

Forever missing our beloved Robin and Toby

"Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened." Anatole France

Guest FullMetalFrank

Oh, I am so sorry this is happening. You must be frantic, and poor Minny. He is in my prayers; hoping for some good news tomorrow.

Waiting for the vet to call me and OK my vsiit today and see how his tests went yesterday. I was going to try and call last night to find out but when I got home my 12 year old CASH was and still is paralyzed in the hind end so I was rushing her to vet. :weep The hits just keep on coming.

Oh no! This is just too much, isn't it! How is Cash doing? How about you?

siggy_robinw_tbqslg.jpg
Xavi the galgo and Peter the cat. Missing Iker the galgo ?-Feb.9/19, Treasure (USS Treasure) April 12/01-May 6/13, Phoenix (Hallo Top Son) Dec.14/99-June 4/11 and Loca (Reko Swahili) Oct.9/95 - June 1/09, Allen the boss cat, died late November, 2021, age 19.

Note to all vets: do you remember something to the effect "First do no harm"? Maybe you should.

Minny's vet just called and informed me that his left hip was injured and sore and he had given him an anti inflammatory and thought that maybe later it should be x-rayed. When I said they were perfect when I presented him he said well it couild have happenned from thrashing around during a siezure. I will be "allowed" to vist him at lunch.

Sorry I am so upset but I think I have a right to be. Poor poor Minny.

Oh no! This is just too much, isn't it! How is Cash doing? How about you?

She is still totally paralyzed in the hind end despite large dose/shots of prednisone. Also now Minny is genuinely in pain since they injured his hip at the evet. Theres only 2 ways they could have done it. One like his vet said it happenned thrashing around the cage or 2 the vet techs did it pulling and swinging him by his hind legs to move him. I worked at a LARGE univ. clinic for 2 years and saw it all the time. The large heavy dogs they are too lazy to lift and be careful with- one of them grabs the hind legs and they swing them to move them. While it normally might not injure them since their muscle tone is almost non-existant due to their illness or medication they are so "relaxed" it is easy to damge the ligaments etc. If you recall there was a thread not too long ago about a large greyt this same thing happenned to. Luckily he survived everything but did have to have surgery on the newly injured hip and extensive rehab. First do no harm....what a joke. At least befiore he wasn't in pain! Now he is. Yes I'm angry. I feel like I have a right to be.

Edited by racindog

Guest gurehaundo
:( I cannot imagine being in your shoes. We're sending lots and lots of hugs your way. I hope everyone will be doing much better today.

Guest Lynnada

I feel so sorry for what you're going through. I didn't realize you had another with paralysis issues.

My vet also discourages owners to visit because it gets the pet worked up, but they encourage you to call as much as you want. The techs will at the very least let you know if your pet ate and slept and if they are resting when you call. You sometimes have to wait for a call back from the vet for a medical update, but they do call back.

Hang in there, we can't be there for you, but you have the power and love of other pet owners behind you. Sending strength your way and healing to your hound.

continuing to send many, MANY prayers for both Minny and Cash :hope:(:hope

Kim and Bruce - with Rick (Rick Roufus 6/30/16) and missing my sweet greyhound Angels Rainey (LG's Rainey 10/4/2000 - 3/8/2011), Anubis (RJ's Saint Nick 12/25/2001 - 9/12/12) and Zeke (Hey Who Whiz It 4/6/2009 - 7/20/2020) and Larry (PTL Laroach 2/24/2007 - 8/2/2020) -- and Chester (Lab) (8/31/1990 - 5/3/2005), Captain (Schipperke) (10/12/1992 - 6/13/2005) and Remy (GSP) (?/?/1998 - 1/6/2005) at the bridge
"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut." -- Ernest Hemmingway