Losing Freddy

Guest freddysmom

Guest freddysmom

Today I lost a friend and companion. My heart is heavy and my house is empty. Freddy was not supposed to live. He was a highly regarded puppy who went to "A" class racing very quickly his first year. Then toward the end of the season he broke his leg. Its my understanding that where he raced, they could put down dogs that became injured. A trainer who had taken a liking to the dog took him home and "saved" him from being put down. He got ahold of GPA-WI and the people there picked him up. The rescuerer said it was the first grey she ever cried about because he was so pitiful. He was still pitiful weeks later when we saw him, in his cast looking all forlorn. He just looked at us until he saw our youngest, then he stood up to greet him and we knew that Freddy was our dog.

That was 10 years ago. As his leg healed, we found out he was still really a puppy with puppy energy and enthusiam. But he was a good dog and in 10 years probably only messed in the house 5 times. He loved people - all people - UNLESS you were in his house. THen he didn't like you at all! He was very protective of me. And he especially didn't want other women in our house! (Trained him well didn't I?? :colgate

His teeth were so bad. The canine dentist wanted to remove all at once about 5 years ago, but we felt that was too traumatic for the dog. So we went with planned extractions every six months. He never complained, and never seemed to be bothered by the loss of teeth. He was a favorite at the vets, everybody was always happy to see Freddy.

But three weeks ago his neck swolled way up and his lymph nodes were diseased. In three weeks he lost almost 10% of his weight and he was in awful pain at the end. I always promised Freddy that I would not let him suffer like when he broke his leg and that I would always take care of him and be there for him.

So today, I took him on one last long car ride (his favorite thing ever) and then took him to the Vet. The people at Stoughton Vet are very caring and helped as much as they could.

Now I am back home and i feel so lonely. Freddy, you were my first and best dog and my heart dog and I feel you here even though you're not laying there watching me on the "puter.

Greytalk, you have always been a wonderful resource although in the past 5 or 6 years I haven't been on much. My dog is now with so many of our hounds, chasing rabbits at the Bridge. I don't know what your dogs catch, but I know anything my dog catches at the bridge will be filled with Peanut Butter, his absolute favorite food!!

Run Free Freddy, RUReady to Run!!!

Mary

My heart goes out to you.

Godspeed, special boy.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

I'm so very sorry. :cry1

Godspeed Freddy.

Standard Poodle Daisy (12/13)
Missing Cora (RL Nevada 5/99-10/09), Piper (Cee Bar Easy 2/99-1/10), Tally (Thunder La La 9/99-3/10), Edie (Daring Reva 9/99-10/12), Dixie (Kiowa Secret Sue 11/01-1/13), Jessie (P's Real Time 11/98-3/13), token boy Graham (Zydeco Dancer 9/00-5/13), Cal (Back Already 12/99-11/13), Betsy (Back Kick Beth 11/98-12/13), Standard Poodles Minnie (1/99-1/14) + Perry (9/98-2/14), Annie (Do Marcia 9/03-10/14), Pink (Miss Pinky Baker 1/02-6/15), Poppy (Cmon Err Not 8/05-1/16), Kat (Jax Candy 5/05-5/17), Ivy (Jax Isis 10/07-7/21), Hildy (Braska Hildy 7/10-12/22), Opal (Jax Opal 7/08-4/23). Toodles (BL Toodles 7/09-4/24)

Your post was so emotional. I don't know you or your dog but, still, I have tears in my eyes.

I am so very sorry for your loss.

Irene Ullmann w/Flying Odin and Mama Mia in Lower Delaware
Angels Brandy, John E, American Idol, Paul, Fuzzy and Shine
Handcrafted Greyhound and Custom Clocks http://www.houndtime.com
Zoom Doggies-Racing Coats for Racing Greyhounds

What a special boy. I'm so sorry for your loss. :grouphug

...............Chase (FTH Smooth Talker), Morgan (Cata), Reggie (Gable Caney), Rufus
(Reward RJ). Fosters check in, but they don't check out.
Forever loved -- Cosmo (System Br Mynoel), March 11, 2002 - October 8, 2009.
Miss Cosmo was a lady. And a lady always knows when to leave.

I'm so sorry your well-loved lad had to go. He had a fine life with you. :grouphug

Go find lots of PB, Freddy. :f_red:gh_run:f_red

Mary with Jumper Jack (2/17/11) and angels Shane (PA's Busta Rime, 12/10/02 - 10/14/16) and Spencer (Dutch Laser, 11/25/00 - 3/29/13).

I am so sorry. Freddy was such a good friend to you, and you to him.

Godspeed Freddy :gh_run

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.

I'm so sorry for your loss of Freddy :( :( :( :(

Kim and Bruce - with Rick (Rick Roufus 6/30/16) and missing my sweet greyhound Angels Rainey (LG's Rainey 10/4/2000 - 3/8/2011), Anubis (RJ's Saint Nick 12/25/2001 - 9/12/12) and Zeke (Hey Who Whiz It 4/6/2009 - 7/20/2020) and Larry (PTL Laroach 2/24/2007 - 8/2/2020) -- and Chester (Lab) (8/31/1990 - 5/3/2005), Captain (Schipperke) (10/12/1992 - 6/13/2005) and Remy (GSP) (?/?/1998 - 1/6/2005) at the bridge
"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut." -- Ernest Hemmingway

Ah, Mary! I'm sorry for your loss. Freddy sounds like he took up a lot of space in your heart, and forever will. Someday soon, I hope the Freddy-within can give you some comfort.

:bighug :bighug :bighug

GT-siggy-spring12.jpg

My Inspirations: Grey Pogo, borzoi Katie, Meep the cat, AND MY BELOVED DH!!!
Missing Rowdy, Coco, Brilly, Happy and Wabi.