Comet

Guest Swifthounds

Guest Swifthounds

Almost a decade ago, Comet came home to join then 18 month old Vixen and his littermate brother, Prancer, and they became my first pack of greyhounds. The litter had been split up with three hounds racing in New England and the remaining five hounds staying in Florida. Prancer had raced briefly in New England and been retired. Comet, known then as "Bernie," raced in Florida. First, at JCKC and later at Seminole.

I had been actively searching for Prancer's littermates for over a year when late at night I took a break from writing and found Comet listed as available for adoption on the GPA-Greater Orlando website. By then he had raced at JCKC, and then been shipped to Seminole to race, where he retired due to soreness after racing. He served as a blood donor for a number of months and after arrangements were made with a local adoption group, Comet was flown home in May of 2001.

Comet was a dog of balanced contradictions. He was taller than Prancer, and quite a long dog. Despite his length, he handled the tightest of turns and would routinely whirl around and change direction while running all out. He loved to run all out, turn on a dime, and sprint back to me and stay by my side while Vixen got her exercise. He liked to stretch out to sleep, but would curl up in a standard greyhound-sized airline crate with his brother and they'd sleep like that for hours. Prone to repositioning on dog beds and in the car, when sleeping on the bed, he would predictably be in the exact same spot in the morning. He would trot over to the smallest, fluffy little dog he could find - and make friends. With small children, dogs, and cats his tack was the same. He approached slowly, and if the other backed away, he did as well. He would wait, and let them come to him, guided by their reactions. Tall and lanky with an enormously long greyhound face, he would manage to make himself seem smaller and unthreatening to the most timid of new friends. He was my first spook, yet was incredibly social with animals of all ages and sizes.

Comet did get sore after running and came with the beginnings of arthritis, so he got supplements early on and rub downs after each run. He would frequently get sore and stiff on long trips, but once there, he loved to explore the countryside and to socialize with people and animals. Together we had been to Dewey, Spring Dewey, Gettysburg, and GLGG and a host of others. Prancer loved the ride in the car, but didn't much care for strangers, even when they fussed over him. Comet got stiff on long rides and had to reposition, but shined at socialization.

There were many times along the way that I thought I would lose him early. In the beginning he had bonded only to me. He was always a lean, lanky, hard keeper. As life demands changed, we worked on him bonding again and though it was a rough road at first, he became very much bonded with my mother. Years after working through many of his issues, he became wind phobic and after a series of behavioral and medical interventions which ended up getting him only to being nearly unconscious, we began raw feeding and he blossomed as I never could have expected.

As frail as he looked, Comet turned 13 in November, outliving his much more robust brother Prancer by three years. He took the loss of Prancer a hard as anyone. They had been constantly together, inseparable, and always touching. In typical Comet style, he soldiered on and learned to follow the lead of the pack's new alpha, Vixen. She took to doting on him and looking after him much the way Comet and Prancer had looked after her as a young dog.

November brought a birthday and a toe amputation for a suspected soft tissue sarcoma. He seemed to really enjoy his stay at the hospital and all the fussing over him. They see plenty of greyhounds there, they said, but most seem nervous and fret. Not Comet.

Bloodwork, chest x-rays, and an abdominal ultrasound revealed that Comet was healthier going into surgery than he looked. Still, anesthesia was a risk and cancer was a possibility. We said our goodbyes then and I vowed that if he came out of surgery, I would regard each day forward as a bonus. And so I did.

Comet healed remarkably well and by December, the fur had filled in and you really couldn't tell he had ever had a toe on that back foot. He ambled around much better than before. The pathology revealed no cancer and we celebrated each day as we marked the anniversary of the loss of Prancer and then Trojan's 14th birthday earlier this month.

Something was wrong and in recent weeks, Comet lost much of the weight he had regained following surgery. His muscle mass was waning and his appetite was low. By Friday it was apparent that his abdomen was distended and retaining fluid. I didn't really need the ultrasound to tell me what was wrong, but Saturday we confirmed by ultrasound that he also had fluid around his heart - the result of a tumor on his heart. And so I kept the promise I had made so long ago, and set him free from a body that could no longer serve him.

Trojan is struggling a bit without Comet to follow, as he did when Comet was in the hospital. This time, however, he seems to know that Comet won't be coming back to him, and he's making do with the company of the others. Cupid has slept alone in Comet's favorite spot, where she always slept with him from the very moment she came home.

Comet was a rooer and would toss his head up like a wolf and sing. Along the way, he taught two IGs and five greyhounds to find their voices and roo. If there was rooing, it was usually started by Comet. In his later years, Biscotti, the mill rescued IG got into the habit of starting a roo, and Comet would always join him, even right after surgery. There was no rooing in the last week or so, and there has been no rooing yet since he left us.

He taught me so much about life, and love, and embracing change, even when it was not the change you might have wanted. He loved and was loved in return. He will, quite simply, be very much missed. Run free my sweet boy.

Comet

a.k.a Katsu Burning

November 5, 1997 - January 22, 2011

post-21193-0-32183000-1295877515_thumb.jpg

post-21193-0-92165400-1295877598_thumb.jpg

I'm sorry he had to leave you. Hugs to you and Trojan.

Godspeed, handsome Comet.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

I'm so very sorry. :cry1 Thank you for telling us about your precious boy.

Godspeed Comet.

Standard Poodle Daisy (12/13)
Missing Cora (RL Nevada 5/99-10/09), Piper (Cee Bar Easy 2/99-1/10), Tally (Thunder La La 9/99-3/10), Edie (Daring Reva 9/99-10/12), Dixie (Kiowa Secret Sue 11/01-1/13), Jessie (P's Real Time 11/98-3/13), token boy Graham (Zydeco Dancer 9/00-5/13), Cal (Back Already 12/99-11/13), Betsy (Back Kick Beth 11/98-12/13), Standard Poodles Minnie (1/99-1/14) + Perry (9/98-2/14), Annie (Do Marcia 9/03-10/14), Pink (Miss Pinky Baker 1/02-6/15), Poppy (Cmon Err Not 8/05-1/16), Kat (Jax Candy 5/05-5/17), Ivy (Jax Isis 10/07-7/21), Hildy (Braska Hildy 7/10-12/22), Opal (Jax Opal 7/08-4/23). Toodles (BL Toodles 7/09-4/24)

I'm so sorry for your loss :grouphug .

Rest in peace, Comet :brokenheart .

SunnySophiePegsdon.jpg

When a relationship of love is disrupted, the relationship does not cease. The love continues; therefore, the relationship continues. The work of grief is to reconcile and redeem life to a different love relationship. ~ W Scott Lineberry

Always Greyhounds Home Boarding and Greyhounds With Love House Sitting

I saw his name here and my heart sank. I'm so very sorry Jennifer. What an awesome boy he was. Godspeed Comet.

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee