Callie Broke Her Leg - Update Post 220

Glad to hear and see that she's perked up a good bit! :yay

To answer your med question, I do believe there are meds they can give to get her appetite going, but I don't remember the name or know if they would be indicated here. But it's certainly worth asking your vet.

Sounds like you are doing everything in your power to get your girl well and are asking all of the right questions! Take care of yourself too.

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

• Replies 224
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nice update and she sure looks more alert today. Hope she comes home this afternoon!

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

Guest jettcricket

Glad to hear and see that she's perked up a good bit! :yay

To answer your med question, I do believe there are meds they can give to get her appetite going, but I don't remember the name or know if they would be indicated here. But it's certainly worth asking your vet.

Sounds like you are doing everything in your power to get your girl well and are asking all of the right questions! Take care of yourself too.

Yes, when my Cricket was sick with osteo they did prescribe some pills...I also forgot the name of them, but it worked. Once she started eating and got some food in her belly she didn't need them anymore.

I bet you can't wait to bring your sweet girlie home....she'll be so happy!!

Guest Stripeyfan

Hugs to you and Callie - she definitely looks better in the 2nd pic. Sorry, I have no advice re getting her to eat, but she's in my thoughts.

My Diamond was a food hound. But when she had her surgery, she didn't eat for them until late sunday (Fri surgery) and it was cold cuts.

They were nervous to let her go because she still hadn't pooped yet. But on Tuesday, the first stop on our 9 hr trip home and she let out a huge pile. Big enough to please even the pickiest doctor!

She looked so much better in the second pix. I'll be looking forward to updates when she comes home.

Callie is home!!

She also ate for me...wasn't going to at first until Pixie started poking her head around Callie's dish and that did the trick. She might not of wanted it, but I'll be darn if she's gonna let Pixie have it!

No peeing yet... is that normal?? Sounds like she was peeing regularly at the hospital.

OMG, now I know why I was warned to get plenty of rest before she came home...I am like a zombie!

She wouldn't stay put! We had a nice twin size air mattress set up in the living room for her, changed the room around so she can see everything and be right in the middle. Nope, she was ready to bed and jumped up and got in her own bed. :rolleyes:

Herman and I are having our disagreements over what she should be able to do (as far as getting up). I think we are both just stressed and exhausted.

Thank goodness I am off until next Monday, no way could I go to work with this going on.

She looks GREAT - she really doesn't even look skinny (well a little) anymore, not sure what they did to her overnight at the hospital. :lol

The bell on the microwave went off and she flew off the air mattress like a cannon...not sure what that was all about? Maybe she was having flashbacks to her racing days, do they use a bell? :blush

The air mattress is a huge hit with Pixie, Sammie and Kitten... Callie not so much. ;)

She ate a few small pieces of cheese when she got her 10pm meds and then I gave her one of those low fat stick treats...you could tell she wanted to hold it between her two front legs, and then just kind of let it drop. :cry1

I'll update tomorrow and show some new pictures.... I think she looks FANTASTIC!!!

xoxo,

kim

Edited by brindlebaby

Kim, (Herman), Pixie (NK Mary Ann), Kitten, Sammie, Darcy and Scout

Callie (Callie Walker), Ava (Lass Dance), July, Peanut, Kodi, Bailey, Kony, PJ, Scampie, Carlo & Casey waiting for us at the bridge

So glad to see this update, Kim. I know that her recovery will move right along with your TLC. I should say that there could be setbacks (though I hope not), but this too will pass. She will amaze you and make you proud and fill your heart with love for her courage.

gallery_11446_3599_3864.jpg
Nancy, Mom to Evangelina and Kiva
Missing Lacey, Patsy, Buster, my heart dog Nick, Winnie, Pollyanna, Tess, my precious Lydia, Calvin Lee, my angel butterfly Laila, and kitties Lily, Sam and Simon
My Etsy shop: http://www.etsy.com/shop/Catsburgandhoundtown

So glad Callie is home with you! Can't wait until I can make the same update for Dude!

:confetti:confetti:confetti

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

Guest VelvetEars

Let her take the lead some on getting up and moving around. Moving is good for healing and helping her figure out her new balance.

So glad she's home! I wondered if Pixie attempting to eat her stuff would do the trick. :lol

Guest MorganKonaAlex

So glad to hear Callie's home. For our tripods, we let them dictate what they could do with the exception of stairs. The doctors said no stairs until their stitches come out. They would navigate the few stairs to go outside themselves. I would go with them to be there in case they needed help the first few days but none did. They seem to dislike the sling more than doing it themselves.

Callie! :wub:

Irene ~ Owned and Operated by Jenny (Jenny Rocks ~ 11/24/17) ~ JRo, Jenny from the Track

Lola (AMF Won't Forget ~ 04/29/15 -07/22/19) - My girl. I'll always love you.

Wendy (Lost Footing ~ 12/11/05 - 08/18/17) ~ Forever in our hearts. "I am yours, you are mine".

Thank you all, we had a pretty good first night. A couple of times we got up because she was trying to change her position and once she some how managed to "slide" off her bed under our bed and we had to get up and move out bed out.

I searched on my phone to see if it had an alarm, it did! Set it for 4am, 6am and 8am and it worked greyt! Soon the 4am will be over (it's for the Ammicar) so 6am isn't too bad. I've written out an easy to follow drug chart, trying to get some sort of system going.

Callie woke me up panting (at first I thought it was the ceiling fan), so Herman took her out front with the sling. (I was the door opener. :blush) She finally peed, as soon as her feet hit the grass! No poop yet though. It's kind of raining/sleeting out, but not really that cold.

Once inside, Callie got on the air mattress and was served breakfast in bed. :wub: She's looking more and more like herself.

Here's a few pictures...

post-7876-0-43958600-1295362886_thumb.jpg

waiting to be discharged

post-7876-0-80106600-1295362907_thumb.jpg post-7876-0-05649200-1295363504_thumb.jpg

finally at home

post-7876-0-04494900-1295363518_thumb.jpg post-7876-0-16932400-1295363532_thumb.jpg

Pixie and Sammie guarding Callie

post-7876-0-65629700-1295363545_thumb.jpg

Pixie taking over

post-7876-0-14510200-1295363570_thumb.jpg post-7876-0-68525500-1295363752_thumb.jpg

breakfast in bed

xo,

Kim & Callie (thanks for helping my mom & dad)

Kim, (Herman), Pixie (NK Mary Ann), Kitten, Sammie, Darcy and Scout

Callie (Callie Walker), Ava (Lass Dance), July, Peanut, Kodi, Bailey, Kony, PJ, Scampie, Carlo & Casey waiting for us at the bridge