Callie Broke Her Leg - Update Post 220

Our greyhound Callie broke her leg last night. We hope she just slipped on the new snow/ice, but this morning's vet appointment confirmed the bone is broken. The vet said that near the break is cloudy and doesn't look like a healthy bone, so we are assuming it's osteo. To say I am devastated would be an understatement.

The vet has already consulted with someone (not Dr. Cuoto) at OSU and we are definitely taking Callie to U of MO Veterinary Hospital tomorrow, but more likely tonight. They couldn't get her an appointment until next Tuesday, but the vet said there are ways around that...we will just take her in as an emergency.

My head is spinning ... I don't know where to begin. I know they will do the bloodwork there (and our vet held off just in case so we wouldn't be charged today and then have it repeated tonight or tomorrow) and they are going to do some kind of x-ray (I think?) to see if it has spread.

It's her right front leg which isn't ideal.

Is there anything specfically I should ask ---- when our vet called OSU, they said the main cancer drug they used on the osteo is backordered, so they are using an alternate.

At U of MO, she said they do a combination of 2 drugs (I believe?), three weeks apart, for a total of 4 treatments. They do have a good oncology unit there - we took one of our dogs to U of MO back in 1998 for radiation for a mast cell tumor and she was cured.

We had dropped Callie off at the vet for x-ray around 930am and just had enough time to drive home and the vet called and asked us to come back and get her because she was really stressed out and her temperature was rising (I think). We went back and she did give Callie some IV pain meds and bandaged her broken leg/shoulder really well to give it some support. We have some Tramadol for pain. We were going to go back tomorrow, but in the meantime she wanted to make some calls to OSU and U of MO.

Right now she is resting/sleeping on the couch, so I hate to disturb her now for the trip so I think I may wait until she wakes up.

Thanks for reading... just so glad this resource is here. (I was able to get OSU's numbers/info off Greytalk on my phone in the vet's office!)

Kim

Edited by brindlebaby

Kim, (Herman), Pixie (NK Mary Ann), Kitten, Sammie, Darcy and Scout

Callie (Callie Walker), Ava (Lass Dance), July, Peanut, Kodi, Bailey, Kony, PJ, Scampie, Carlo & Casey waiting for us at the bridge

• Replies 224
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have no advice to offer, just to let you know that we will be sending good thoughts your way from New Jersey.

Irene Ullmann w/Flying Odin and Mama Mia in Lower Delaware
Angels Brandy, John E, American Idol, Paul, Fuzzy and Shine
Handcrafted Greyhound and Custom Clocks http://www.houndtime.com
Zoom Doggies-Racing Coats for Racing Greyhounds

Kim, I am so sorry this is happening to Callie! I pray that you get some better news at the U of MO Vet Hospital. If there is any question about her treatment, I'm sure you can ask that they confer with OSU, just for your peace of mind.

In the meantime, I will be praying for all of you!

Linda, Mom to Fuzz, Barkley, and the felines Miss Kitty, Simon and Joseph.Waiting at The Bridge: Alex, Josh, Harley, Nikki, Beemer, Anna, Frank, Rachel, my heart & soul, Suze and the best boy ever, Dalton.<p>

:candle ....for all those hounds that are sick, hurt, lost or waiting for their forever homes. SENIORS ROCK :rivethead

Oh No! Poor Callie!

Let me know if there's anything I can do.

Have you thought about VSS instead of the University? Leann used them, and I know that's where we've had chemo done for the

foster dogs.

sig%20march%2015_zpsgicdhakq.jpg
Wingnut (DC Wingnut), Voo Doo (Voo Doo von Bonz), Barb (Myokie Barb) & Romey (Nose Stradamus)
at the bridge Molly (CM Blondie) 9/8/14, Maddy (Reuniting) 10/17/13, Rocky (Ranco Popeye) 1/7/12, Mimi (Flying Ringneck) 8/13/09 and RJ (RJ What For) 5/3/05

Thank you SO MUCH Kelly, I already did talk to Leann about VSS. I've called our vet and she's already called VSS, but I think she said a Dr. Anderson is in surgery and she is waiting to hear back from him. If we can get her in tonight (and it seems she's a good candidate for surgery after testing), then hoping she can get surgery tomorrow morning.

The convenience thing is good and that we can see her when we want. Our vet said she could do the amputation, but I don't think they have someone there 24 hours --- which is what she needs. (although I guess they have someone there to come and checks on patients who have to stay), but would prefer her to be monitored and have someone on site.

Will let you know what happens - thank you all for your support, you don't know how much it's appreciated.

This IS my worst nightmare.

kim

Oh No! Poor Callie!

Let me know if there's anything I can do.

Have you thought about VSS instead of the University? Leann used them, and I know that's where we've had chemo done for the

foster dogs.

Callie (Callie Walker), Ava (Lass Dance), July, Peanut, Kodi, Bailey, Kony, PJ, Scampie, Carlo & Casey waiting for us at the bridge

I'm so sorry to read this. We went through this twice last year and it is completely devastating. I'll be keeping Callie in my thoughts and prayers. Many hugs to you both.

Sending prayers for you and your girlie.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Kim, I'm so so sorry to hear this about Callie. I was in your shoes a year ago with Diamond. It was her right front as well.

I don't know what option you're going to end up taking, but I just wanted to let you know what I did. Diamond was 2 weeks shy of her 12th BD. I drove from NJ to OSU so that Dr. Couto could tell me if she was an amp candidate. My biggest fear was that she couldn't live as a tripod. I felt she would survive the actual surgery. But living on 3 legs, not so much

We spent the day there and the consensus was that while she was a bit arthritic, she was healthy enough to live as a tripod.

They all thought she would take extra long to heal due to her age, but she surprised them all and was ready to go home by Tues from a Fri surgery. That bordered on being early!

Anyway, once she healed from surgery which took just 2 weeks for the worse to be over, she had a happy and pain free life for 6 months until OS showed up in another leg.(we also did chemo, they sent it to my vet in NJ).

The only thing I did for Diamond was to build a ramp to go outside since there are 6 steps to get outside from any of my doors. I have a dog door and she had no problems with that. She mastered the ramp easily (but we did practice before we went out to OSU. I had it built in a weekend and since her leg was already hurting, she was happy to use the ramp.

No matter what option you chose, it is the right one for you, because you're making it with Callie's happiness in mind.

Good luck with whatever you do.

So sorry this happened to your girl. Sending positive thoughts. I'm anxious to hear what the doctors at OSU say.

From Wisconsin -- It's Nancy, Bob, Carla, June Bug and our newby Skorch.... along with Buffy. She's the little hound that meows.

With loving memorials to K.C., Barko and Major Turn -- all playing at the bridge.

Kim, I'm so sorry to hear this about Callie.

The only thing I can think to add: if they confirm cancer and you opt for amputation, ask if the hospital has amicar to help control post-op bleeding.

In an old thread here on Greytalk, there were links to two articles from OSU--one about amicar and one about cancer in greyhounds. You might want to print both those articles and take them with you--or at least store the links in your cellphone so you can pass them on to whatever vets you see.

Good luck.

15060353021_97558ce7da.jpg
Kathy and Q (CRT Qadeer from Fuzzy's Cannon and CRT Bonnie) and
Jane (WW's Aunt Jane from Trent Lee and Aunt M); photos to come.

Missing Silver (5.19.2005-10.27.2016), Tigger (4.5.2007-3.18.2016),
darling Sam (5.10.2000-8.8.2013), Jacey-Kasey (5.19.2003-8.22.2011), and Oreo (1997-3.30.2006)

Kim, I'm so so sorry to hear this about Callie. I was in your shoes a year ago with Diamond. It was her right front as well.

I don't know what option you're going to end up taking, but I just wanted to let you know what I did. Diamond was 2 weeks shy of her 12th BD. I drove from NJ to OSU so that Dr. Couto could tell me if she was an amp candidate. My biggest fear was that she couldn't live as a tripod. I felt she would survive the actual surgery. But living on 3 legs, not so much

We spent the day there and the consensus was that while she was a bit arthritic, she was healthy enough to live as a tripod.

They all thought she would take extra long to heal due to her age, but she surprised them all and was ready to go home by Tues from a Fri surgery. That bordered on being early!

Anyway, once she healed from surgery which took just 2 weeks for the worse to be over, she had a happy and pain free life for 6 months until OS showed up in another leg.(we also did chemo, they sent it to my vet in NJ).

The only thing I did for Diamond was to build a ramp to go outside since there are 6 steps to get outside from any of my doors. I have a dog door and she had no problems with that. She mastered the ramp easily (but we did practice before we went out to OSU. I had it built in a weekend and since her leg was already hurting, she was happy to use the ramp.

No matter what option you chose, it is the right one for you, because you're making it with Callie's happiness in mind.

Good luck with whatever you do.

Callie too is just shy of 12, will be 12 on February 28th. Callie was having a little back leg weakness, but was still walking pretty well and even could give a little run in the yard after the other two. Our vet (she isn't Callie's regular, so she hasn't seen her before today), but she mentioned about the back legs and wondered if she hit her head when she fell (not really sure if she even did fall) and something neurological wasn't going on. I don't think it is. She said that it's possible Callie would get the amputation and wouldn't be able to handle being a tripod.

Right now we are waiting for our vet to call after consulting with a specialty surgery place less than 30 minutes ................ just heard from our vet - we have 1pm appointment tomorrow, but if she is in too much pain and restless anytime up until then, we can just head out there. I am going to run out to our vets after rush hour (they close at 8pm) and pick up Callie's x-rays, just in case we have to go during the night.

Thanks so much everyone for your comments and prayers....

kim

Yes, amicar! I talked to Leann from Rescued Racers and she said to insist they give Callie amicar, so I have that ingrained in my mind!

Kim, I'm so sorry to hear this about Callie.

The only thing I can think to add: if they confirm cancer and you opt for amputation, ask if the hospital has amicar to help control post-op bleeding.

In an old thread here on Greytalk, there were links to two articles from OSU--one about amicar and one about cancer in greyhounds. You might want to print both those articles and take them with you--or at least store the links in your cellphone so you can pass them on to whatever vets you see.

Good luck.

Oh, Kim.....I just PM'ed you when I saw your post in the OSU thread before I saw this one. So it's answered my questions, but I am devastated to hear this. I'm so sorry you are going through this---it's such a stressful time. You're dealing with the worst news so suddenly, and your head is filled with so many possibilities.

I will be sending both of you lots of prayers and good thoughts and white light. You and Callie are shining stars.

Edited by queenwinniesmom

gallery_11446_3599_3864.jpg
Nancy, Mom to Evangelina and Kiva
Missing Lacey, Patsy, Buster, my heart dog Nick, Winnie, Pollyanna, Tess, my precious Lydia, Calvin Lee, my angel butterfly Laila, and kitties Lily, Sam and Simon
My Etsy shop: http://www.etsy.com/shop/Catsburgandhoundtown

I am so sorry to hear this. My boy Joe had his front leg amputated on July 28 at OSU. This is what I've learned in regards to what OSU recommends.

1) Before amputation, a complete orthopedic examination should be given. X-rays should be taken of the legs and possibly the back. An examination for lumbar stenosis should be done. Mild arthritis and mild lumbar stenosis are acceptable. Severe problems with the legs and back might cause the dog not to be a good candidate for amputation. If the dog is currently walking on just three legs, it is very likely they will do well after amputation, despite findings of mild arthritis or back issues.

2) Before amputation, a chest x-ray should be done. Visible metastases in the lungs do not cause a dog not to be a candidate for amputation but it should be understood that the expected life span will be shorter. Amputation in this case is done to relieve pain. There has been some promising results in the treatment of lung mets with the drug Palladia, combined with Cytoxan and artemisinine. In the past, amputation on a dog with lung mets was very rarely done. Now Dr. Couto will do amputation in a dog with lung mets in rare, selected cases.

3) Before amputation, do complete blood work. Pay special attention to clotting factors.

4) During amputation, carefully monitor the dogs temperature. Some greyhounds develop hyperthermia. I believe it is common practice now, but the surgeon should lower the dogs temperature during surgery.

5) I believe, but am not positive, that OSU starts IV aminocaproic acid (Amicar) during surgery.

6) The surgery should only be done at a hospital that has a vet physically present 24/7 in an ICU environment. A greyhound should stay in the hospital with constant monitoring for 3 to 5 days. Care should be taken to monitor excessive bleeding. The majority of the deaths in the 5 days following surgery occur when the dog in a hospital that does not provide 24 hour ICU care.

7) Aminocaproic Acid (Amicar) should be administered for at least 5 days after surgery. Greyhounds do not form strong clots (even though there clotting factors appear normal in blood tests). Bleeding severe enough to cause death can occur as long as 5 days post surgery and seem to peak at 2 to 3 days post surgery. Administering Amicar drastically reduces the chance of severe bleeding. This is not a drug that is often kept on hand at many vets offices, so they should plan in advance and procure it prior to surgery if at all possible.

8) Greyhounds tend to get more nervous and stressed than other breeds of dogs. OSU has found that keeping them "doped up" on a combination of fentanyl, lidocaine, and ketamine via IV is helpful. This often continues for 2 to 3 days with the dog being weaned off the IV meds. By the time the dog is ready to come home, they have been on an oral pain control program (typically Deramaxx and tramadol) long enough to ensure that it is effective.

9) OSU gets the dogs up to urinate the day of the surgery. They put the dog on a cart and take them outside. Then 2 or 3 people lift the dog (with the aid of a sling) and encourage it to urinate. This is done regularly, whether or not they actually pee. They feel this is an important way of teaching the dog how to live with three legs as well as providing physical therapy to improve blood circulation. The dog is typically able to walk some the day after surgery and this is actively encouraged. By the 3rd day, most dogs are able to walk on their own for several hundred feet.

I hope this info helps you.

Jane