Callie Broke Her Leg - Update Post 220

Would an ex-pen around Callie's mattress work for you? We had Jamey set up in the corner of the living room, inside of an ex-pen. He could get up but not get into any trouble. The area was about 5' x 4' or so.

Tin and Michael and Lucas, Picasso, Hero, Oasis, Galina, Neizan, Enzo, Salvo and Noor the Galgos.
Remembering Bridge Angel Greyhounds: Tosca, Jamey, Master, Diego, and Ambi; plus Angel Galgos Jules, Marco and Baltasar.

• Replies 224
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest dwolfe711

Kim - i just saw this thread for the first time today - i sent you a PM - our prayers are with sweet Callie - give her hugs from all of us and Duncan from the Bridge - we miss you!

Donna, Dave, Ripley, Ellie, Mercedes and Praveen

Guest kelli123

Oh Bless your little heart :heart Callie you look great.

Mommy has a beautiful bed for you all decked out in pink How sweet. Praying for the healing to be easy for you .

She does really look great you are doing a great job with her. I know how stressful this can be . God bless you all :beatheart

She looks terrific. We wish her all the best for a speedy and total recovery.

Irene Ullmann w/Flying Odin and Mama Mia in Lower Delaware
Angels Brandy, John E, American Idol, Paul, Fuzzy and Shine
Handcrafted Greyhound and Custom Clocks http://www.houndtime.com
Zoom Doggies-Racing Coats for Racing Greyhounds

Guest azlorenz

She looks fantastic. I remember those first days with Flash. We brought him home 24 hours after surgery so was a pretty tramatic. I'm so happy for you that she is home and doing so well. Thinking of you all.

Kim,

Callie looks awesome and am so happy she ate for you. It so reminds me of when Charlie came home after the amp this past July and we slept on the floor right beside him. There will be some up's & down's along the way so don't stress out too much. You may find her panting and restless which for Charlie was caused by Tramadol. She will fall at some point, hopefully many days from now but it will happen - don't panic! These pups are very resilient. The most important thing is she is home and getting love which will help her in the healing process.

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Gus an coinnich sinn a'rithist my boys and little girl.

Guest VelvetEars

She's looking MUCH more like her old self. Please give her kisses from us!

I didn't realize that you'd gotten another GSD after July left. Gorgeous!

She is doing pretty well today, still has an appetite. Pooped a little yesterday, looked like pudding, but I guess that's to be expected since she just started eating after a week, with everything else added in. I tend to be a little overprotective, Herman wants her to get up more to keep up her strength.

She went to bed early last night, around 745pm. When I say that, I mean she gets off up the air mattress in the front room and walks herself back to her bed in our bedroom. She had a potty break around 10pm and then pretty much slept through the night, expect when I gave her meds. She is seems to enjoy the cheese with her medicine.

The oncologist called yesterday to inquire if we were going to do chemo. We are. She said the biopsy results came back and it's confirmed, it was osteo. :cry1

I talked to her regarding OSU and she said, "they are the greyhound experts." She has no problems consulting with them for Callie and I need to go back over everything and find info on the chemo drugs.

Meredith, that is Sammie or Sam. We've almost had her a year, she's 14 months old. She's a sweetie.

Thanks everyone for your prayers and well wishes for Callie and us. I am absolutely thrilled at how well she looks and seems to be doing.

xoxo,

Kim, Herman & Callie

Pixie, Callie & Sammie at a parade last June. Sammie scoping out biscuits they were throwing from the floats (it was a pet parade) :lol

mofo_parade.jpg

:yikes YIKES that's a big picture!! I'm sorry! Either they're teeny tiny or billboard size!!

She's looking MUCH more like her old self. Please give her kisses from us!

I didn't realize that you'd gotten another GSD after July left. Gorgeous!

Edited by brindlebaby

Kim, (Herman), Pixie (NK Mary Ann), Kitten, Sammie, Darcy and Scout

Callie (Callie Walker), Ava (Lass Dance), July, Peanut, Kodi, Bailey, Kony, PJ, Scampie, Carlo & Casey waiting for us at the bridge

I just wanted to post the info on contacting OSU for you. Things have changed a bit:

Here is info on how to contact Dr. Couto and his team:

The email or phone consult is free, but you must submit your request via the internet. Go to the Ohio State University Greyhound Health and Wellness Program website:

https://greyhound.osu.edu/index.cfm

Click on Consultation Service and then cursor down to find the link to the consultation form. Someone from the team will respond.

Please note that your vet can reach the team by calling Stephanie Yochem at (614) 292-0950.

The OSU GHWP will provide certain chemo drugs for free but you will need to pay to have them administered. Please be aware that not all chemo drugs are available.

Additional information about the program:

Greyhound Health and Wellness Program

The Ohio State University College of Veterinary Medicine

601 Vernon Tharp Street

Columbus, Ohio 43210

Phone: (614) 247-6757 or (614) 247-8490

Email: greyosu@osu.edu

(registration and fee now required to get full access to this site)

Drs. Marin and Zaldivar typically respond to greyhound owners. They are originally from Spanish speaking countries. If you have trouble understanding them over the phone, you might ask for one of the other vets or vet techs to “translate”.

The consult is free but if you can afford to support the program please do so. You can sign up for full access to the website ($99 per calendar year) or donate through the giving page on the website. If you decide to donate, you can double your money by giving through the Greyhound Project. They will match the funds that you donate.

Just go to this website and scroll down to the appropriate donation button:

http://www.adopt-a-greyhound.org/donate.shtml.

The Team:

Dr. Couto, Department Head, Greyhound Medicine, Oncology and Hematology

Dr. Lili Marin, Greyhound Health and Oncology

Dr. Sara Zaldivar, Greyhound Health and Oncology

Dr. William Kisselberth, Oncology

Dr. Cheryl London, Oncology

Dr. Cristina Iazbik, Blood Bank Director and Hematologist

Dr. Bridget Urie, Oncology Resident

Dr. Matt Sherger, Oncology Resident

Dr. Joelle Fenger, Oncology Resident

Dr. Roberta Portela, Oncology Resident

Dawn Hudson, Vet Tech

Ashley DeFelice, Vet Tech

Stacey Gallant, Vet Tech

You should know that (in my humble opinion) they need more staff. Unfortunately finances do not permit it at this time. They do 20 to 30 greyhound consults a day along with all of their "in canine" patients. Depending on their workload there may be a wait for the consultation. If you are contacting them on an emergency basis, please let them know.

If you want to make an appointment to be seen in person/canine, you can call the main number to set up a date/time. The main number for the veterinary hospital is 614-292-3551.

If you decide to visit OSU please contact me. I may be able to put you up in a local home, provide moral support, or just help with logistics:

Finewhipador-drool@yahoo.com

Jane, thank you!

I just posted after you in the osteo thread. Ok after reading again, I think our vet/oncologist can just call Stephanie Y. or does she have to send an internet request?

xo,

kim

I just wanted to post the info on contacting OSU for you. Things have changed a bit:

Here is info on how to contact Dr. Couto and his team:

The email or phone consult is free, but you must submit your request via the internet. Go to the Ohio State University Greyhound Health and Wellness Program website:

https://greyhound.osu.edu/index.cfm

Click on Consultation Service and then cursor down to find the link to the consultation form. Someone from the team will respond.

Please note that your vet can reach the team by calling Stephanie Yochem at (614) 292-0950.

The OSU GHWP will provide certain chemo drugs for free but you will need to pay to have them administered. Please be aware that not all chemo drugs are available.

Additional information about the program:

Greyhound Health and Wellness Program

The Ohio State University College of Veterinary Medicine

601 Vernon Tharp Street

Columbus, Ohio 43210

Phone: (614) 247-6757 or (614) 247-8490

Email: greyosu@osu.edu

(registration and fee now required to get full access to this site)

Drs. Marin and Zaldivar typically respond to greyhound owners. They are originally from Spanish speaking countries. If you have trouble understanding them over the phone, you might ask for one of the other vets or vet techs to “translate”.

The consult is free but if you can afford to support the program please do so. You can sign up for full access to the website ($99 per calendar year) or donate through the giving page on the website. If you decide to donate, you can double your money by giving through the Greyhound Project. They will match the funds that you donate.

Just go to this website and scroll down to the appropriate donation button:

http://www.adopt-a-greyhound.org/donate.shtml.

The Team:

Dr. Couto, Department Head, Greyhound Medicine, Oncology and Hematology

Dr. Lili Marin, Greyhound Health and Oncology

Dr. Sara Zaldivar, Greyhound Health and Oncology

Dr. William Kisselberth, Oncology

Dr. Cheryl London, Oncology

Dr. Cristina Iazbik, Blood Bank Director and Hematologist

Dr. Bridget Urie, Oncology Resident

Dr. Matt Sherger, Oncology Resident

Dr. Joelle Fenger, Oncology Resident

Dr. Roberta Portela, Oncology Resident

Dawn Hudson, Vet Tech

Ashley DeFelice, Vet Tech

Stacey Gallant, Vet Tech

You should know that (in my humble opinion) they need more staff. Unfortunately finances do not permit it at this time. They do 20 to 30 greyhound consults a day along with all of their "in canine" patients. Depending on their workload there may be a wait for the consultation. If you are contacting them on an emergency basis, please let them know.

If you want to make an appointment to be seen in person/canine, you can call the main number to set up a date/time. The main number for the veterinary hospital is 614-292-3551.

If you decide to visit OSU please contact me. I may be able to put you up in a local home, provide moral support, or just help with logistics:

Finewhipador-drool@yahoo.com

Callie (Callie Walker), Ava (Lass Dance), July, Peanut, Kodi, Bailey, Kony, PJ, Scampie, Carlo & Casey waiting for us at the bridge

I posted this in the Osteo thread, but wanted to give you all a quick update on Callie.

She's doing amazingly well! She actually ran from me (well trotted fast) as I wanted her to go outside to go potty and she wanted to go to her bed in our bedroom. (it's cold and snowy, maybe that's why )

I look at the pictures on my cell phone of her in the hospital, her chest was beet red and her belly red and irritated. It looks perfect now... is that from taking the Amacar??

She did have a fall Friday night...Herman was sleeping in bed and I fell asleep on the couch. She came from the bedroom and went to the back door where she used to go outside (we now take her the front way, only one step). She peed and then tried to poop and her back legs slid out to either side. I heard the commotion because of Pixie and Sammie alerting me. There was blood on her quilt later and I discovered she skinned her elbow. :cry1

Since then we are trying to be more attentive of her going out and taking her more often. Sometimes when she pants, I think that means she has to go out instead of being in pain like I thought.

If someone is at the door, she gets up and walks to the living room to greet them. Her appetite is still good, woofs down her breakfast and dinner. For the last two days, she has stood to eat (with me standing by her). She seems to swallow better if she stands.

My birthday is next month and we are supposed to go over to my brother and SIL's house for dinner, etc. I told them I'd rather have it here, because I don't want to leave Callie alone, especially for that long. They keep saying that's three weeks off. I mentioned tonight that maybe we'll just bring Callie with us, bring along a bed for her and she can come too. Her birthday's February 28th, so we'll make it a joint celebration.

I go back to work tomorrow and don't want to leave her. Herman will be with her and two days he can't, my mom will sit with her. Before Callie came home I thought she would lay on the air mattress we put in the front room for her and even questioned the nurse when she was getting discharged how often we had to move Callie. I had no clue she would immediately be getting up and going from room to room, scaring the heck out of us! I'm thrilled she is wants to be independent so quickly, just scares me sometimes! Everytime she gets up, I'll right by her side. She'll be glad I'm going back to work tomorrow. :P

I have a question regarding chemo... how long does it take (like how long are you at the hospital), how do the dog's react, is it hard on them? I'd like to know when I go back to work so I can tell them I need off because I want to be there with her. I'm also going to take off (although they don't know it) when she gets her bandage off this week.

HUGE :bighug and :kiss2 to all of you... you helped us make well informed decisions for Callie, making sure she got the best care possible. I'm in awe of the greyt wealth of knowledge there is here and those that are so supportive and helpful, it's a Godsend to those who are frantically trying to get any and all information on this devastating disease.

With much love and gratitude,

Kim & Herman (Callie too!)

callie_in_bed_1-23-11.jpg

As I look at Callie tucked in her bed in our bedroom tonight, she seems to be thinking. I wish I knew what, maybe about the past two weeks. I just love my girl so much. :beatheart

Edited by brindlebaby

Glad she is doing well. Sending special scritchies for your lovely girl.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Such a Sweet dog! You just have to go that extra mile for them, and they'll hang in there to make things work out better than you think. I can see that Callie is one that treasures every moment she has with her family. May her recovery continue to progress well and serve as an example to others facing similar tough decisions.

Guest MorganKonaAlex

Morgan and Demon had carboplatin. The infusion would only take a few minutes and we were there in the room. The whole appointment would take 45 minutes. The oncologist would examine them and then the staff would come in and administer the chemo. Alex had alternating carboplatin and Doxyrubicin and at a different facility. Their procedure was to drop the dog off in the morning and pick him up later. Callie will probably want to sleep mostly afterwards. It may not be necessary to be there.

It's amazing how quickly they try to do things. With Morgan, we were picking him up from his amputation. We opened the back of the SUV and were discussing how best to lift him to avoid pressure on his surgery site (front leg). He jumped right in the SUV! Very much against doctor's orders.

Darcy had alternating carboplatin and doxyrubicin. With the carboplatin, we stayed at the vets whilst the drug was administered and we were there and back within the hour. With the doxyrubacin, Darcy stayed at the vets for a half day. Before both drugs, she had her white blood count checked and she was given an anti emetic during the treatment. After a dose of chemo, she 'possily' slept a little more and she was slightly reluctant to eat at first but once we got her started she was fine and would eat the rest of the meal by herself.

Best of luck :grouphug

Deerhounds Darcy, Duffy, Grace & Wellington, Mutts Sprout & Buddy, Lurchers Ned & Jake plus Ella the Westie + cats. Remembering Del, Jessie, Maddison, Flo, Sally, Stanley, Wallace, Radar, Mokka, Oki cat, Tetley, Poppy & Striker.

Please visit our web store at http://www.dogsndubs.com for our own range of Greyhound related clothing for humans!