Callie Broke Her Leg - Update Post 220

• Replies 224
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hope that Callie is feeling much better and that you are able to go and visit her. We found that Vinnie was much more responsive when we were near. So many things have changed in a few short years though - he stayed overnight the night of the amputation and then was home. Hope both you and Callie were able to get some sleep, you will all need it. Sending healing thoughts, hugs and scritches.

Only just reading this now. I'm very sorry to hear about Callie and her diagnosis. Sending good thoughts for all of you :grouphug

Deerhounds Darcy, Duffy, Grace & Wellington, Mutts Sprout & Buddy, Lurchers Ned & Jake plus Ella the Westie + cats. Remembering Del, Jessie, Maddison, Flo, Sally, Stanley, Wallace, Radar, Mokka, Oki cat, Tetley, Poppy & Striker.

Please visit our web store at http://www.dogsndubs.com for our own range of Greyhound related clothing for humans!

At 910am, Callie's doctor called. He said she's doing ok, but he has a couple of questions. Oh no. :(

She still won't eat, but is drinking now. She still hasn't gotten up for them.

First have we come to see her? I said no, we wanted to try and come today. He said why don't you, and maybe bring some tasty morsels with you.

Second he can't find the protocol on the Ammacar?? He doesn't know how long to give it to her. I said I thought like 5 days --- DOES ANYONE KNOW IF THIS IS RIGHT?? He said he is going to make sure she has enough for 5 days if by chance we take her hope this weekend :yikes ... He is traferring her over to another doctor for the weekend, but will pick her back up on Monday if she is still there.

When we come see her, he just asked that we call about 30 minutes before to make sure they aren't too busy with an emergency or something.

I asked what kind of food could I bring and he said something bland, more so than fried. :blink: She doesn't really eat fried food, but maybe he was thinking more so like a hamburger or something. He mentioned chicken and rice I think.

I am so nervous, but excited to see her! I am going to take one of her pigs (I have a stash because I thought Target was discontinuing them and she and Sammie love them) and rub it all over Pixie and Sammie, hopefully they'll let her keep it. Sammie uses her pig (the nose) as a pacifier. Callie uses it as a pillow and takes them outside all the time so our snow covered yard is littered with pink pigs.

I'll let you all know how she is today... I think we will try and go mid afternoon. (I wonder if we could visit twice??)

xoxo,

kim

Kim, (Herman), Pixie (NK Mary Ann), Kitten, Sammie, Darcy and Scout

Callie (Callie Walker), Ava (Lass Dance), July, Peanut, Kodi, Bailey, Kony, PJ, Scampie, Carlo & Casey waiting for us at the bridge

Kim, I cna't help with the Amicar, but if you don't get a response, I am pretty sure Jane put her personal info in the OSU post she always shares and she wouldn't mind you contacting her to ask.

As far as food goes, at this point, I think they are probably concerned something too rich like fried food would cause an upset stomach, but the main thing is to get her eating. I think cooked chicken is a good idea. Maybe have 2 separate containers, one where you've drained the fat and one where you haven't. For Neyla, the fat was actually enticing. Also, when I couldn't get her to eat much else, baby food was a life saver. it would get her appetite going and then she'd eat something else. I bought the stage 1 meat jars only - they're very small so you might want to get a bunch. They are all just meat and meat stock - beef, chicken, ham, and turkey. Neyla didn't like the fruit ones or the ones with vegetables although she was raw fed previously so that might have had something to do with her preference for hte meat flavors. Scrambled eggs are also an excellent way to get some protein in, but Neyla didn't love them. Basically, I would just take an array of stuff, whatever you can, and see what she'll eat. If it were me, i would take sepearate containers of the eggs, chik (w/ and w/o fat), rice and the jars of baby food. Start by just seeing if she'll lick a jar of baby food and if she does, try mixing some of hte things together with some baby food in it. Start small so you can see if there's anything she doesn't like, then mix a bigger batch with only what she likes.

I hope that helps. I'm guessing she just needs to see her mommma'. :goodluck

Edited by NeylasMom

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

I am 99% sure that the amicar is continued for 5 days. I don't know the dosage and frequency. Your vet could call OSU at 614-292-3551. I bet a vet in their ICU (staffed 24/7) will know off the top of his head. If not, they should have the protocol available for them to look up.

I brought Joe's favorite food to him. It is liver and steak cut in cubes and lightly sauteed. They didn't express any concern at that. He only got a little bit initially to wet his appetite. Then it was mixed with some canned i/d food.

Be prepared to see Callie looking less than her best. She may also have a "lost" expression on her face. It can be very hard seeing them for the first time without the leg.

Please call with any questions: 614-523-0754

Jane

Guest VelvetEars

I hope you're able to get her to eat. Keep us posted. I suspect she needs to see you and will eat for you. This whole things has been very disorienting to her and confusing - one minute she's ok, then she's got a broken leg, and then she goes to sleep in a strange place and when she wakes up, her leg's missing. I'd be afraid to eat too! And remember that the pain meds can make her tummy upset. You might try a little pudding or banana or something like that. Or yogurt or melted ice cream. But Jane had a sweet tooth, and I could always tempt her w/ something like melted ice cream before I could tempt her with meat stuff.

Hang in there - Callie needs you to be strong! She'll pick up on your moods, so be positive and encouraging and remind her that she has to eat so she can come home.

Keep us posted!

Praying that your visit went well! Praying for Callie's recovery.

Linda, Mom to Fuzz, Barkley, and the felines Miss Kitty, Simon and Joseph.Waiting at The Bridge: Alex, Josh, Harley, Nikki, Beemer, Anna, Frank, Rachel, my heart & soul, Suze and the best boy ever, Dalton.<p>

:candle ....for all those hounds that are sick, hurt, lost or waiting for their forever homes. SENIORS ROCK :rivethead

We just got home. They put us in a room (Herman called it a mortuary room) and carried her out and placed her on a thin blanket folded into fours. They said she had stood on her own earlier in her cage/crate, put that she started to shake. Someone mentioned a lost look and that's exactly what she had. She seemed content at first, laid her head on her piggy I brought. I was kissing her face and giving her scritches behind her ears and under her chin. She let out a content sigh. Her bandages are bright pink with purple hearts.

She wouldn't eat for us, didn't show no interest in any of the food I brought, whatsoever. Didn't even sniff it. :cry1 You can tell she's lost quite a bit of weight, it seems as her fur is hanging on her at spots. She weighed around 68 pounds before she broke her leg and a female carried her out it looked like with very little effort.

We stayed around 20 minutes and when she started to pant slightly, we said our goodbyes and someone came and carried her back. We took her pig up to the front desk and asked if she could have it in the back and she said yes, but it might get soiled. I said that's ok, I have a stash of them. I told her Callie uses it as a pillow to rest her head on.

Herman thinks she probably needs to come home so her appetite comes back. She hasn't eaten anything since around 930pm Monday. Are they giving her anything for nourishment. When the vet that diagnosed her called to check up on her today, she mentioned taking Little Caesars just to get some calories in her. I was telling my friend this and asked what does Little Caesars have besides pizza that she would want me to give some to Callie. She laughed and said that Little Caesars is a canned dog food. :rolleyes: I'm so glad I didn't march in there LC pizza box for Callie, they probably would of called the authorities to have her taken away from us.

Is this normal, not showing any interest in food? Anyone who has been through this, when did your dog start to eat? I am going back tomorrow and taking a plain Arby's roast beef sandwich, which is just down the street from the hospital.

She seemed to not be in any pain and laying peacefully. She kept readjusting her head, from side to side.

We are supposed to go to a retirement party tonight, but it's not far and we already plan on not staying too long. I am going to go out in the car and try and call for a check-up around 830 or 9pm. I'll inquire about her eating and see what they say.

I took a few pictures, to me she still looks as beautiful as ever, just with a few bandages. :wub:

I'm so sorry we had to put her through this, I hope she forgives us. :brokenheart

xo,

kim

post-7876-0-93150100-1295137378_thumb.jpgpost-7876-0-56265900-1295137937_thumb.jpg]

Kim, (Herman), Pixie (NK Mary Ann), Kitten, Sammie, Darcy and Scout

Callie (Callie Walker), Ava (Lass Dance), July, Peanut, Kodi, Bailey, Kony, PJ, Scampie, Carlo & Casey waiting for us at the bridge

Kim, she's probably stoned out of her mind -- I would expect her to start showing more interest in food once they back off the pain meds a little. Such a beautiful dear face :wub: :wub: .

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Awwww ... beautiful Callie :wub: :wub:

Not eating after is normal - especially if not home. Once you bring her home again, she should eat for you with no problem. Weight will come back if you add some extra cheesy goodness to her food too. Hope you are able to bring her home soon. Hugs and healing thoughts.

Some of the amputees at OSU don't eat while they are in the hospital. They are usually given something via IV. OSU would like to see them eat before sending them home but they don't require it -- especially for greyhounds (they are notorious for refusing to eat).

I am so glad that you had a good visit.

Jane

Callie is so pretty. :wub: Lots of prayers and healing thoughts heading her way.

Casual Bling & Hope for Hounds
Summer-3bjpg.jpg
Janet & the hounds Maggie and Allen Missing my baby girl Peanut, old soul Jake, quirky Jet, Mama Grandy and my old Diva Miz Foxy; my angel, my inspiration. You all brought so much into my light, and taught me so much about the power of love, you are with me always.
If you get the chance to sit it out or dance.......... I hope you dance! Missing our littlest girl.

Guest kelli123

Still praying for You all, and sending Strength for all of you ,

She is just a adorable looking baby Girl, I wish her strength in her recovery. And praying for a good apatite to go along with it. Callie You are in my thoughts and prayers Sweet baby.