Osteo Thread

Best wishes to Lucy. Sounds like she's in for a few rough days, then things should be looking up for her.

Hugs to Sparks. I am sorry he is doing poorly. :(

Callie's wound does look somewhat infected. If so, a round of anti-bees should clear it up.

Kristen, love the photo of Tiny. Since you seem to have caught the tumor fairly early, curious if you're doing anything holistic? I know it's not for everyone, but I think he'd be a good candidate, especially for artemisinin. If you have any questions, there are several of us on the board who incorporated holistic supps into our routine.

Definitely keep taking those photos. You will treasure them. Do you have a video camera too? If not, I think it's worth it to get one if you can spring the money. I ended up buying a compact camera with good video since my dSLR doesn't have it and those videos mean the world to me. They also helped me realize when it was time to let Neyla go, depressing as that sounds, but seeing her running and playing really helped me make the decision I knew I had to make since she wasn't able to do those things any more.

Haven't tried artemisinin. Is it supposed to slow cancer growth? Where do you get it?

I have a DSLR with video capability, but haven't tried the video feature. Usually I do still photography. I'll give it a whirl and see if I can get decent footage.

Kristen with

Penguin (L the Penguin) Flying Penske x L Alysana

Costarring The Fabulous Felines: Squeak, Merlin, Bailey & Mystic

68sgSRq.jpg

• Replies 988
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For Lucy - I think it's partly the anesthesia and waking up completely that makes them a bit anxious/restless. Glad she's doing OK.

Vet said Dude's wound is looking really good. He debrided a bit more necrotic tissue, but the rest was healing well. No more vet trips until Friday when he goes back to hopefully havethe surgeon close the hole and put in a drain. I gather this is a major step forward for him, so I was happy - though more happier that we won't have to go there again for three days! Then probably chemo to start next week.

I've been so amazed at his ability to recover from all this. The day we brought him home from the first amputation, he was wagging his tail and had his typical positive attitude. He was back attacking sticks in the yard only two weeks post amp. Even with this second infection and surgery he has kept us laughing and on our toes from his tricks and expressions. He has completely won over all the staff at the hospital and they all come by to see him either in the waiting room or the kennel. He kissed his oncologist on the cheek Monday!

I totally love this boy! :D:blush:wub:

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

Kari :grouphug

For all of you taking care to take lots of pictures and videos - very very good idea :nod Especially to catch those special moments...

I was really lucky with Sutra in that he really didn't have many "bad" days. A couple of days it was a stretch to get him to eat his breakfast, but he almost always ate at least one meal a day and his attitude was always sassy, right to the end. I really feel for all of you that go through the daily struggle, I can imagine that it's very hard :(

Love the story of Wonder digging in the yard :) Sutra always dug at one particular spot in the yard and then tried to eat the dirt - I really have no idea why, but apparently the dirt in THAT particular spot tasted good :lol

Kristin in Moline, IL USA with Ozzie (MRL Crusin Clem), Clarice (Clarice McBones), Latte and Sage the IGs, and the kitties: Violet and Rose
Lovingly Remembered: Sutra (Fliowa Sutra) 12/02/97-10/12/10, Pinky (Pick Me) 04/20/03-11/19/12, Fritz (Fritz Fire) 02/05/01 - 05/20/13, Ace (Fantastic Ace) 02/05/01 - 07/05/13, and Carrie (Takin the Crumbs) 05/08/99 - 09/04/13.

A cure for cancer can't come soon enough.--

Sparks is gone

I'm numb- the drink is helping with that.

{{{{{{{{{{Kari}}}}}}}}}}

Au revoir, sweetest boy.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Kari, I posted in the ABT too, but I'm so sorry. There just aren't words. I know how much you're hurting and I wish i could do something to take away your pain. The stiff drink sounds like it should help with that for a bit. ;) If things for you are anything like me, you will have a lot of ups and downs. Post anytime you're in need of some support. :grouphug

Kristin, yes, artemisinin is thought to slow the growth of cancer. There's a yahoo group link in the first post, and a little bit of info on the bone cancer dogs website. Lots of other holistic options too, but arte is one of hte ones that I feel is potentially more effective. Also, a large amt of high quality fish oil.

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

Thanks everyone

I'm trying not to cry- makes my mirgaine much worse.

The drink is helping but I forgot when I walked into my bedroom and he wasn't there.

gallery_2213_3086_11460.jpg

Kari and the pups.
Run free sweet Hana 9/21/08-9/12/10. Missing Sparks with every breath.
Passion 10/16/02-5/25/17

Guest roselle

Thanks everyone

I'm trying not to cry- makes my mirgaine much worse.

The drink is helping but I forgot when I walked into my bedroom and he wasn't there.

Kari, I'm so sorry Sparks is gone. Take care of your self. :f_pink:weep

Oh, Kari, I just saw your post on Facebook, and came here to give you a cyber hug. I wish you could cry without making yourself feel too wretched physically. Sometimes tears are the only way to get that pain out. We know how deeply you loved your precious Sparks, and are sharing your sadness.

This is a kind of simplified explanation of how artemisinin works---it is actually an herb, wormwood, which when consumed by cancer cells (which use lots of iron as it spreads in tumors) destroys the cells. It's composition is similar to the iron, and when the cancer cells let it in, it's like a time bomb. This is over simplified, of course, and I know it's not a miracle cure, but I always think it's worth a shot. It's been used for years as a treatment for malaria. Because it's herbal, apparently it doesn't have many negative side effects. I don't know much about it's effectiveness in humans, but I know Dr. Couto is doing a lot of resarch with it for treatment in Greyhounds. I remember where I got mine---Nutricology. It's been a while, but it wasn't that expensive to order online.

Dude! You are inspirational! I always knew you were a very special hound. Keep up the great work, sweet boy.

gallery_11446_3599_3864.jpg
Nancy, Mom to Evangelina and Kiva
Missing Lacey, Patsy, Buster, my heart dog Nick, Winnie, Pollyanna, Tess, my precious Lydia, Calvin Lee, my angel butterfly Laila, and kitties Lily, Sam and Simon
My Etsy shop: http://www.etsy.com/shop/Catsburgandhoundtown

Kari, I am truly sorry that Sparks is gone. I can feel your pain. That is 3 beautiful hounds lost in 1 week...Ward, Trip and now Sparks. In time, you will at peace with this loss. You were a great Mom to him.

Kathy

Guest bigorangedog

Kari. I'm so sorry to read this. I'm glad I got to see him not to long ago. He was the sweetest boy, with the most expressive eyes. I was really looking forward to having him here while you went to SP. I know how you are feeling (boy, do I know). I still have moments of walking into a room and expecting to see a dog that left me a year ago or more. Sometimes I am glad for the flash of memory, of that dog sitting in his favorite spot just hanging out. And other times it is just as jarring as when it first happened. Each of the dogs breaks my heart when he leaves, but then another comes and puts it back together in a different way. No one will ever fill up the hole that Sparks left, but you will love others because of him. Let me know if there is anything you need.

Kari,

I am sorry. This disease is brutal and is taking so many pups it just isn't fair. We will keep you and all the others in our thoughts. Hang in there.

Edited by Charlies_Dad

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Gus an coinnich sinn a'rithist my boys and little girl.

Thank you all.

Being single, I do everything alone, it doesn't phase me. Back in Oct when this all started, I told my mom there's no way I'll be able to bring Sparks alone to the vet. But I did it. I didn't cry until I had to sign the paperwork.

One of my friends got off work early and met me there. My vets wife was also there so I ended up not being alone. Plus I had you all and so many others there in spirit.

Again, thank you all

Kari and the pups.
Passion 10/16/02-5/25/17

Wonder Update (because it's one of those unforgettable moments)

This was something new this afternoon...Wonder...digging with his good shoulder's left foot in the soft dirt in the butterfly garden. He was on a mission and looked so adorable. He's not a digger either so it was doubly cute. I wondered what he was thinking.

I gently called his name, he turned around, looked at me, and smiled.

Priceless. :wub:

This is one of those memories you cherish. Make a mental photo and store it away for those occasions when you need to smile.

For Lucy - I think it's partly the anesthesia and waking up completely that makes them a bit anxious/restless. Glad she's doing OK.

Vet said Dude's wound is looking really good. He debrided a bit more necrotic tissue, but the rest was healing well. No more vet trips until Friday when he goes back to hopefully havethe surgeon close the hole and put in a drain. I gather this is a major step forward for him, so I was happy - though more happier that we won't have to go there again for three days! Then probably chemo to start next week.

I've been so amazed at his ability to recover from all this. The day we brought him home from the first amputation, he was wagging his tail and had his typical positive attitude. He was back attacking sticks in the yard only two weeks post amp. Even with this second infection and surgery he has kept us laughing and on our toes from his tricks and expressions. He has completely won over all the staff at the hospital and they all come by to see him either in the waiting room or the kennel. He kissed his oncologist on the cheek Monday!

I totally love this boy! :D:blush:wub:

All I can say is....DUDE!!! I love his name.

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Gus an coinnich sinn a'rithist my boys and little girl.

Lucy update: she's doing well, is standing in her crate on her own and is going out to potty (they're helping her with a sling). She's eating and was VERY excited for the chicken I brought. :) she is off all IV meds. They said she's been anxious/vocal, but they think it might be more of her just wanting to get out and see the other dogs and people, rather than anxiety over the surgery. The only time she's ever vocal, usually, is when there are people around that she can't get to greet, so I'm sure that's part of it.

Just waiting for the surgeon to get in to check on her and give her the ok to go home. We haven't visited (I didn't want to make her more anxious) and I miss her.

sig_border.jpg
Always missing our angel Lucy, a four year osteo survivor.

This is a kind of simplified explanation of how artemisinin works---it is actually an herb, wormwood, which when consumed by cancer cells (which use lots of iron as it spreads in tumors) destroys the cells. It's composition is similar to the iron, and when the cancer cells let it in, it's like a time bomb. This is over simplified, of course, and I know it's not a miracle cure, but I always think it's worth a shot. It's been used for years as a treatment for malaria. Because it's herbal, apparently it doesn't have many negative side effects. I don't know much about it's effectiveness in humans, but I know Dr. Couto is doing a lot of resarch with it for treatment in Greyhounds. I remember where I got mine---Nutricology. It's been a while, but it wasn't that expensive to order online.

This is a good explanation. The 2 recommended places to buy it are Holley Pharmaceuticals and Wellcare (hepalin.com). It is important that you get it from a reputable source.

If you're going to try it for Wonder, I do recommend that you cycle it somehow. I did a 10-day cycling routine with curcumin, but some people just do 5 days on/5days off or 10 on/10 off. There's a good bit of evidence that the body stops absorbing it over a relatively short period of time so that it becomes ineffective. If you take a break, it allows the body to "reset" and then you can start again. I preferred the cycling routine b/c there is a lot of research about the 2 things working synergystically, and on some fo the non-arte days I was still giving a cancer fighting supplement, which made me feel better. :) I'm happy to explain more what we did, but the yahoo group is an excellent resource as well.

Jess, that is GREAT news! :yay It sounds like if anything you're challenge might be not letting Lucy overdo it early on, which is a good challenge to have imho. :)

Kari, how are you doing this morning? Migraine gone at least?

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

Kari, how are you doing this morning? Migraine gone at least?

Yes, it's just a dull headache now. Thanks!

I was doing so good not crying. Co-workers each brought me a card, I teared up but didn't cry. They are awesome!

Then I had to write his memorial for my group- I lost it.

Doing the rememberance thread for GT will be worse. Waiting until this afternoon to try to tackle that.

Kari and the pups.
Passion 10/16/02-5/25/17