Osteo Thread

Connie and Jess, a friend said to me recently when we were discussing our loss that it's never enough when it comes time to let our pets go, never enough time. It's a harsh reality, but I think it doesn't matter under what circumstances our pups get sick, it will never be anything less that horrible. I feel like I should feel lucky that I got those 7 months with Neyla after she was diagnosed, and believe me, I truly am grateful for many reasons, but it wasn't enough. Sometimes I feel guilty for thinking that because I see so many people get less, but I shouldn't. We shouldn't feel like we need to envy others b/c it's not enough for them either, nor should we feel guilty for what little time we do get, b/c it will never be enough for us. The only enough would be our pups sharing our lives with us for a lifetime.

This doesn't sound consoling as I type it, but I take comfort in the idea some how. It validates my feelings, which at this point are all I have left.

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

• Replies 988
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thank you everyone for all your kind thoughts and words. Ward passed away at home, on his favorite bed, and in the arms of my husband and I. It was very peaceful but "hauntingly" beautiful as he lifted his head straight up to look at my husband (his best buddy) in his last moments. To say we are emotionally devastated is an understatement but we know we made the right decision. My heart breaks for anyone else who has faced this or will be experiencing this in the future. I pray for all the pups who have had surgery, chemo etc. and hope that they will have much more time with their loving owners. Our greyhounds are such special dogs.

I had hoped to post a picture of my beautiful boy but just can't figure it out, even after reading all the tech help. If anyone has advice for posting a Facebook photo from a Mac I'd appreciate it.

Kathy

Kathy, can you email the photo to me and I can post it for you? If you don't have the file on your computer, you should be able to right click on the FB photo and choose "save image as" and then save is on your desktop, hard drive, whatever, then attach to an email. Happy to post it for you.

I'm very sorry for your loss, but glad to hear at least that Ward's passing was peaceful. Hugs.

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

Thank you Jen. My problem with attaching the photo is the "right click" which is probably a PC command and I use a Mac. I would like to be able to post photos in the future but in the interim I would love it if you could post 2 nice photos of Ward. I can't find your email address as it says it is private. Is there a Grey Talk address that I am missing? I don't want you posting your private email on the site.

Thanks Kathy

Thank you Jen. My problem with attaching the photo is the "right click" which is probably a PC command and I use a Mac. I would like to be able to post photos in the future but in the interim I would love it if you could post 2 nice photos of Ward. I can't find your email address as it says it is private. Is there a Grey Talk address that I am missing? I don't want you posting your private email on the site.

Thanks Kathy

To "right click" on a Mac, hold down the control key and then click at the same time.

You can't receive private messages yet (you don't have enough posts) - Email the photos to me (lucythegreyhound@gmail.com) :)

Edited by RedFawnMom

sig_border.jpg
Always missing our angel Lucy, a four year osteo survivor.

Thanks Jess, I'll try it. Not to hopeful with my computer skills though.

Oh - try this! Go into Facebook and click on the photo you want to use. At the bottom, below the photo, there should be something that says:

"Share this photo with anyone by sending them this public link:

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=594020&l=96bd8bc935&id=143484600"

If you post the links here, we'll be able to get to the photos.

sig_border.jpg
Always missing our angel Lucy, a four year osteo survivor.

You know I tried that already Jess but it did not work. I think you can only email that way. I just clicked on your link and it will not open. I am heading out for awhile and will try this again this afternoon when my other half is home and can help me. Thanks so much for the advice.

Kathy

A little bit of good news since there's never enough of that around here - Tasha's liver and spleen biopsies came back and everything was benign/negative so hemangio has officially been ruled out. :yay She is recovering well from her splenectomy and they are going to start weaning her off of the pain meds from that while they start focusing on figuring out the best treatment for her meningioma.

Sparks is really slowing down. He didn't want to eat the last 2 days and he's been eating so well :(

I bawled my head off this afternoon when I took him outside to enjoy the sunny day for a few minutes.

gallery_2213_3086_11460.jpg

Kari and the pups.
Run free sweet Hana 9/21/08-9/12/10. Missing Sparks with every breath.
Passion 10/16/02-5/25/17

Kari :grouphug The not eating was the thing that decided it for me. :( Baby food did help for a few days. I could get her appetite going by offering her some of that straight, then I'd give her her food with some of it mixed in. Her very last day she would only eat kibble soaked in water of all things. :( Of course at that point I didn't care what I was feeding her, I just wanted her to eat so I could get her pain meds in her. Anyway, the baby food was stage 1 meat - she didn't like the ones that had veggies mixed in. Just beef or chicken or turkey and gravy. Maybe that would help?

Kathy, I'm so sorry for your loss.

Godspeed, Ward.

{{{{{Kari & Sparks}}}}}

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

I am so sorry for all that have lost a pup to the monster. Wonder had his first infusion today of the canine Fosamax. His blood work was fine so they were able to do it. His osteo is in the right front leg and the infusion was in a rear leg. He does have a small bruise but the vet said it's nothing to worry about.

He seems very uncomfortable tonight. I took two pictures of him sitting up in a strange position but couldn't upload them to Village Photo, tried Photo Bucket but it couldn't open an account for me for some computer reason.

He did eat a good dinner and is now sleeping. Tonight is the first night he whimpered when changing positions.

We're hoping tomorrow will see a strong improvement.

Alice (missing 12/7/05), Wonder and Ben

Alice%20Sig.jpgWonder%20Prof%20Sig.JPGBen%20Sig.jpg

And our beloved Bridge Kids... Inky, Maui, Murphy, Ragamuffin, Della and Natalie

Kari,

When Ward got picky about eating in the last few weeks I cooked up a bunch of chicken, mixed some in a little kibble with green beans, and that was what usually got him to finish his bowl. I would also add a little broth or gravy to his food. I think the medication affects their appetite plus Ward would only take his pills (about 15/day) with chicken. Between the 15 pills and chicken, he was pretty full. He developed quite a liking for my homecooked chicken and a dislike for kibble. Towards the end we let him have pretty much whatever made him happy in between meals. He LOVED greenies and vanilla ice cream. Gobbled it right up. If he was happy, we felt a lot better.

Sorry to hear that Sparks is slowing down. All you can do is try your best to get him to eat. I know that it is upsetting and makes you feel like you are not doing enough...you are doing everything you possibly can and more. Enjoy those moments out in the sun. Thinking of you.

Kathy

Something new for Wonder....canine Fosamax. I can't think of the exact name but it's given iv and it takes a couple hours. Friday he will go in for bloodwork to make sure his kidneys are okay with all the Tramadol and Metacam he's had. If everything is okay, he will get this new medicine.

It's pamidronate, I think. The IV form of alendronate. I've heard good things about pamidronate. I really hope it helps!!

Thank you. He's such a trooper and good boy. :blush

Yep, IV pamidronate. That's the treatment that Neyla had. I will keep my fingers crossed on Friday that it does the trick. For Neyla, I saw an immediate bounciness when we got home, which doesn't necessarily fit with the way it works, but Kristin saw the same thing each time she did it with Sutra. After that, I continued to see gradual improvement over the next 5ish days? The difference was somewhat dramatic, much more than I would have seen just upping her pain meds a little. I hope it really helps Wonder, and that he doesn't have any kidney side effects. :goodluck Your vets are doing IV fluids for several hours before/after and then administering the pamidronate slowly along with fluids, right?

Yes. She did say fluids before and after. I will double check with her on the length. Thanks.

:nod Sutra had several infusions and they all seemed to perk him up a lot. After his first one, they decided to give him more fluids with the infusion than they normally would, to lessen any possible strain on his kidneys. As a result, he had to pee A LOT for the rest of that day and most of the next day :lol

It's so hard for me to tell people to "just go for it" with things like that where they have to spend the day (or at least a part of the day) at the vet, because not all pups love the vet's office like Sutra did. Since he spent a lot of time at the vet when I first got him (he was admitted for a pancreatitis attack), he thought he owned the place :lol Then when we saw a different vet for his osteo care, he decided he owned that clinic too :lol He would walk in there for his infusions with his tail swinging, and would roo at the techs for cookies :lol

I will admit that I pop in here from time to time, but I have a hard time posting. You are all in my thoughts as you go through this...I'll try to stop in more, but it's still really hard for me to think about. :cry1 I miss my sweet old man every day...he truly was one in a million :wub:

Kristin in Moline, IL USA with Ozzie (MRL Crusin Clem), Clarice (Clarice McBones), Latte and Sage the IGs, and the kitties: Violet and Rose
Lovingly Remembered: Sutra (Fliowa Sutra) 12/02/97-10/12/10, Pinky (Pick Me) 04/20/03-11/19/12, Fritz (Fritz Fire) 02/05/01 - 05/20/13, Ace (Fantastic Ace) 02/05/01 - 07/05/13, and Carrie (Takin the Crumbs) 05/08/99 - 09/04/13.

A cure for cancer can't come soon enough.--

Don't know if it will help anyone, but i thoguht i would post this recipie which is for a doggie version of edible play doh, i find it wraps around pills very well. I would imagine with tweaking you could make a PB version:

1/4cup dehydrated chicken (i got a can of chicken and dried it in the dehydrator, then ground it using a coffee grinder)

3/4cup flour

1Tbs salt (I actually used 1 tsp and it came out ok)

2 Tbs cream of tartar

1/4 cup chicken buillion

1 cup water (i used the juice from the chicken can)

1 T oil

mix it all together in a pot on medium heat until it starts to thicken then put on low heat until play dough consistency.

You can then refrigerate and/or freeze some of it to use later.

Kari :grouphug The not eating was the thing that decided it for me. :( Baby food did help for a few days. I could get her appetite going by offering her some of that straight, then I'd give her her food with some of it mixed in. Her very last day she would only eat kibble soaked in water of all things. :( Of course at that point I didn't care what I was feeding her, I just wanted her to eat so I could get her pain meds in her. Anyway, the baby food was stage 1 meat - she didn't like the ones that had veggies mixed in. Just beef or chicken or turkey and gravy. Maybe that would help?

He ate some chicken that I left him when I went to work and I got him to eat more tonight when I hand fed him.

I picked up a few cans of wet food to try. He used to love it so it will kill me if he doesn't want to eat it.

Kari,

When Ward got picky about eating in the last few weeks I cooked up a bunch of chicken, mixed some in a little kibble with green beans, and that was what usually got him to finish his bowl. I would also add a little broth or gravy to his food. I think the medication affects their appetite plus Ward would only take his pills (about 15/day) with chicken. Between the 15 pills and chicken, he was pretty full. He developed quite a liking for my homecooked chicken and a dislike for kibble. Towards the end we let him have pretty much whatever made him happy in between meals. He LOVED greenies and vanilla ice cream. Gobbled it right up. If he was happy, we felt a lot better.

Sorry to hear that Sparks is slowing down. All you can do is try your best to get him to eat. I know that it is upsetting and makes you feel like you are not doing enough...you are doing everything you possibly can and more. Enjoy those moments out in the sun. Thinking of you.

Kathy

He's only eating chicken and beef roast that I cook in the crock pot. He won't eat kibble and hasn't for about a year.

I'm hoping he wasn't eating because I made him sleep in the living room the last 3 nights. I needed my sleep and he's waking me up every hour. I still wake up with him in the living room but I slept more (if that's possible). I just don't want him to not be eating because it's time

gallery_2213_3086_11460.jpg

Kari and the pups.
Run free sweet Hana 9/21/08-9/12/10. Missing Sparks with every breath.
Passion 10/16/02-5/25/17

Trio had a rough night. We will be helping him to the bridge this morning.

Cosmo (Fuzz Face Cosmos), Holmes (He's a Dream), Boomer (USS Baby Boomer), Ella and missing our angels Clay (Red Clay), Train (Nite Train), Trip (Bock's Teddy Bear),Larry (Bohemian Frigid) and Jimmy (Bohemian Raw)

God bless you all. It is such a hard but loving decision to make. You did all you could for Trip. I will be praying for you all.

Kathy

I'm sorry to hear about Trip. Gentle hugs to you and your family.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

I am so sorry to read this. Please give Trip a hug from me.

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Gus an coinnich sinn a'rithist my boys and little girl.

Trip had a rough night. We will be helping him to the bridge this morning.

I'm so sorry. Godspeed, Trip.

15060353021_97558ce7da.jpg
Kathy and Q (CRT Qadeer from Fuzzy's Cannon and CRT Bonnie) and
Jane (WW's Aunt Jane from Trent Lee and Aunt M); photos to come.

Missing Silver (5.19.2005-10.27.2016), Tigger (4.5.2007-3.18.2016),
darling Sam (5.10.2000-8.8.2013), Jacey-Kasey (5.19.2003-8.22.2011), and Oreo (1997-3.30.2006)

My heart is breaking for you, that Trip's time is already here after what just happened with Larry. I'm so sorry. :kiss2 for Trip and :grouphug for you. Will keep you and your DH in my thoughts today.

I had a dream about Neyla last night. It was the first one in a while. I had left her with a sitter and thought she had passed away, only to discover that she was still alive. She still had osteo, but she wasn't acting like it or in pain and she was so happy to see me. It was nice, to feel like she was with me even for just a few moments. Until I got out of bed of course and the reality sunk in again.:cry1