Osteo Thread

So glad to hear that Wonder is seeing some good effects from the treatment. :yay

Kari, just lots and lots of :grouphug and gentle kisses to Sparks from me please.

Jess, I will keep Lucy in my thoughts tomorrow. :hope

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

• Replies 988
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest roselle

Sparks didn't eat at all while I was at work. I just hand fed him chicken and he ate a bunch.

If my vet were open late tonight, I'd be taking him in.

Hugs to Sparks and to you too Kari. :grouphug

Thinking positive thoughts for Lucy tomorrow. Kari, you and Sparks are in my prayers.

Cosmo (Fuzz Face Cosmos), Holmes (He's a Dream), Boomer (USS Baby Boomer), Ella and missing our angels Clay (Red Clay), Train (Nite Train), Trip (Bock's Teddy Bear),Larry (Bohemian Frigid) and Jimmy (Bohemian Raw)

I was gone just under 2 hours and left him treats. He didn't eat them. Just tried to give him a hot dog and he refused. :(

I can't stop crying

gallery_2213_3086_11460.jpg

Kari and the pups.
Run free sweet Hana 9/21/08-9/12/10. Missing Sparks with every breath.
Passion 10/16/02-5/25/17

I haven't posted in awhile, but usually read from work and end up crying. My sympathies to those who recently suffered a loss or are having a rough time right now. :bighug

Callie has been doing so well, but when I walked in from work tonight Herman said Callie won't eat and she yiped when I tried to take her out (to go potty). Both are unlike her. I fixed her a cup of food and sat on her bed with her and she ate it right up. She's been off all pain meds since her staples came out two weeks after surgery. I started her back on the Rimadyl and Tramadol tonight.

I went to touch her side chest and she jerked, so we figured out something is going on with her incision. It doesn't look infected, but maybe a little redder than usual? Herman seems to think that maybe the sling irritated it. Tonight he took one of her new t-shirts, cut out the arms and a bit from the bottom and made her a little midruff. :blush She did lay on the couch most of the day, I hear.

She was scheduled for chemo last Friday (drugs were being shipped from OSU last Monday), but it was cancelled because the drugs didn't arrive in time. I would of gladly paid to have them sent overnight. I called the oncology department today and apparently no one works there on Monday so I will call in the morning. Hopefully the drugs are there waiting for Callie so we can get her first treatment in this week.

Does what is going on with Callie's incision sound familiar to anyone? The bottom part is kind of puffed out (hard to explain, but not flat like the top part of the incision...in my opinion it looks like it would be prone to pain...won't post a picture unless someone wants to see it.) I'm wondering if I should put something cool on it??

One bright spot today, Herman keeps asking me what I want for my birthday next week. I wanted something "Callie related"... I found some osteo necklaces that were nice, but I just don't want to wear that word. :sad1 I had favorited a seller on Etsy last year and went back to her shop and she has a lot of new things. I picked out a necklace that can be customized... I'm getting her pawprint set in sterling and cut into a heart with her name on the back. Necklace

Many prayers tonight and tomorrow for Lucy and her family and best wishes to Dude and his family that his first chemo goes well! :candle

Praying Sparks (and Kari) has a peaceful night tonight and his appetite returns soon. :hope

Edited by brindlebaby

Kim, (Herman), Pixie (NK Mary Ann), Kitten, Sammie, Darcy and Scout

Callie (Callie Walker), Ava (Lass Dance), July, Peanut, Kodi, Bailey, Kony, PJ, Scampie, Carlo & Casey waiting for us at the bridge

Kim,

I don't have canine experience with incisions, only humans. Worked in ICU, ER and surgery for many years. The "puffed out" area sounds like it may be a collection of serous fluid. That is the "weepy" fluid you can get from wounds. If it can't get out, it will puff up. If it is red and warm to the touch then it is may be infected. You might want to check a rectal temp. My Vet tells me that 102 is normal for canines. I would probably have the Vet check it in any event. Callie may need an antibiotic.

Prayers for Lucy, Sparks and Dude.

Kathy

Thank you Kathy, I just went and took some pics to post and I think you're right! I can get a much clearer look on the pictures and it looks way redder and does look infected to me. If it's not infected it looks pretty darn sore. Callie kind of growled at me when I put my hand near it. She NEVER growls at humans so it must really be tender. :cry1 I hope it's ok to wait until the morning. I'll call first thing and see if they can see her.

101_2995.JPG

101_2996.JPG

101_2997.JPG

Kim,

I don't have canine experience with incisions, only humans. Worked in ICU, ER and surgery for many years. The "puffed out" area sounds like it may be a collection of serous fluid. That is the "weepy" fluid you can get from wounds. If it can't get out, it will puff up. If it is red and warm to the touch then it is may be infected. You might want to check a rectal temp. My Vet tells me that 102 is normal for canines. I would probably have the Vet check it in any event. Callie may need an antibiotic.

Prayers for Lucy, Sparks and Dude.

Kathy

Kim, (Herman), Pixie (NK Mary Ann), Kitten, Sammie, Darcy and Scout

Callie (Callie Walker), Ava (Lass Dance), July, Peanut, Kodi, Bailey, Kony, PJ, Scampie, Carlo & Casey waiting for us at the bridge

Poor Callie. I hope she's feeling better this morning.

None of us slept last night. At 4am, I got him up and had him go in the livingroom so I could sleep for 2 hours.

Cried driving to work and couldn't stop once I got here. My co-workers are awesome.

Where does all this stupid water come from? I swear I should be dehydrated from all the crying the last 24 hrs.

Thinking of Lucy today

Kari and the pups.
Passion 10/16/02-5/25/17

Kim,

Based on the photo it appears something is going on there. If Callie's stitches are out, then the redness should be gone by now as our Charlie's was by that time. It's possible an infection has set in and your vet should be able to address that easily.

One thing I will mention to all going through amputation that I have not stated before. Be careful with your pup, as they are stressed, may be in some pain and can be a little confused, sounds obvious doesn't it? Well out Charlie who is a sweet boy and has NEVER shown any aggression to us ever, snapped at us when we were trying to remove his Fentanyl patch. We stupidly did not muzzle him and should have. If he had wanted to get us, he could have because boy was he fast. When in doubt and inspecting the amp site be careful.

Kari, I am sorry that Sparks and you had such a rough night. We will keep you both in our thoughts.

Edited by Charlies_Dad

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Gus an coinnich sinn a'rithist my boys and little girl.

Kim,

The pictures sure look like an infection. Better to be safe and see the vet. Callie probably just needs an antibiotic. The best to all of you.

Kathy

Lucy is in surgery now. The chest X-rays looked clear so they're proceeding. I know she's in good hands, but I'm still a wreck.

We saw our "regular" vet last night to get the Fentanyl patch applied. She only works part-time, but she's the one I always try to see. She has a greyhound and told me that as a vet and as a grey owner it's the choice she'd make for her boy, which made me feel better.

sig_border.jpg
Always missing our angel Lucy, a four year osteo survivor.

Kim, agree that she should be seen as soon as you can get it. Not so much because I know what an infected amp site looks like, but because of the behavioral changes. Those all sound to me like she's not feeling well and is hurting in that area. Hopefully some ABs clear that right up. :goodluck In the meantime, I would actually do warm compresses. But be very careful, maybe muzzle her first like Kyle suggested or just be very careful when you first apply it to the incision site in case Callie reacts again. The necklace is a really neat idea, sweet of your DH to get it for you.

Jess, more good thoughts for Lucy.

Kari, I'm sorry Sparks still isn't eating or sleeping well. :(

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

Lucy is in surgery now. The chest X-rays looked clear so they're proceeding. I know she's in good hands, but I'm still a wreck.

We saw our "regular" vet last night to get the Fentanyl patch applied. She only works part-time, but she's the one I always try to see. She has a greyhound and told me that as a vet and as a grey owner it's the choice she'd make for her boy, which made me feel better.

I'll be thinking of you all.

My boss told me to go home but I don't have PTO yet and so want to work a few more hours so I don't have as many to make up later.

I'm sure Sparks is sleeping now anyway.

I didn't bother leaving any food for him but a pile of treats when I left for work this morning.

I keep looking at the clock :(

Kari and the pups.
Passion 10/16/02-5/25/17

:candle:hope:candle:hope:candle

Prayers for Lucy and Sparks!

Get Callie to the vet - looks infected to me. Hopefully you won't have to do what I did with Dude.

His chemo was put off after the oncologist and ortho surgeon spoke to the vet that did his debridement surgery last Friday and the bandage change Sunday night. Apparently the wound from his infection is pretty deep - deeper and more serious than they had thought. So he is at the hospital now for his daily bandage change and so both of them can look at the wound site. After that they'll determine when they think chemo can start.

I hate putting it off, but the onco said it really impedes healing, so that wound needs to be well on it's way before it starts.

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

Lucy is out of surgery and everything went well. She's out of the anesthesia but is very sedated with pain killers, but they say she's resting comfortably. I'll call in a few hours for another update and maybe go peek in at her tonight from around the corner so she won't see me (I just need to see her).

Thank you so much everyone for keeping her in your thoughts.

sig_border.jpg

Lucy is out of surgery and everything went well. She's out of the anesthesia but is very sedated with pain killers, but they say she's resting comfortably. I'll call in a few hours for another update and maybe go peek in at her tonight from around the corner so she won't see me (I just need to see her).

Jess, that is excellent!!! She will likely be really out of it tonight as well so don't panic when you see her. Also if you have not seen a wound like this before, it can be a little unsettling for some. I like to be prepared so I looked at previous amputations before seeing Charlie the first time. Just curious, do you make Lucy's food or buy it? If she doesn't eat which is common, sometimes bringing food from home works.

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Guest roselle

Glad to hear Lucy's surgery went well. It sounds like you did well also. Heal well Lucy. Hugs to both of you :getwell:grouphug

Oh thank god!!

Kari and the pups.
Passion 10/16/02-5/25/17

:yay for Lucy!

Chris, hope they can get Dude's wound healed up quickly. :goodluck

I just called for an update, they said she just got some oral pain meds, is fine but anxious. :-(. I'll call again in a couple hours and try to speak with the tech directly. I hope they gave her something for the anxiety and I hope this isn't a bad sign. I feel awful. :-(

sig_border.jpg

I just called for an update, they said she just got some oral pain meds, is fine but anxious. :-(. I'll call again in a couple hours and try to speak with the tech directly. I hope they gave her something for the anxiety and I hope this isn't a bad sign. I feel awful. :-(

Try not to worry too much, it is understandable that they are stressed as it is a major surgery. Lucy will be fine, she will just need a little time and before long she will be up and about and moving a lot better than you can imagine.

Wonder Update (because it's one of those unforgettable moments)

This was something new this afternoon...Wonder...digging with his good shoulder's left foot in the soft dirt in the butterfly garden. He was on a mission and looked so adorable. He's not a digger either so it was doubly cute. I wondered what he was thinking.

I gently called his name, he turned around, looked at me, and smiled.

Priceless. :wub:

Alice (missing 12/7/05), Wonder and Ben

Alice%20Sig.jpgWonder%20Prof%20Sig.JPGBen%20Sig.jpg

And our beloved Bridge Kids... Inky, Maui, Murphy, Ragamuffin, Della and Natalie

For Callie - I just wanted to let you know that Diamond had an infection post amp. We started one antibiotic and it wasn't working, there was an open area and it was swabbed. the result came back and we did have to change to another antibiotic. She cleared up very quickly after that.

For Lucy....Diamond was very upset the first day. Totally confused as to what happened to her leg. She was anxious for 2 weeks while on the pain meds. Once she was off meds, she was almost back to normal. It only took a day before she realized she was without a leg. So they do bounce back quickly.

Those first two weeks are very rough, but it is so worth it when you see them motoring around with a smile on their face even though they have only 3 legs.

Edited by MP_the4pack